Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 29th May 2009, 10:02   #46
BHPian

nice review dude!

yeah maruti has attached a super light boot that weighs even less than a 10 year old kid at 30kgs.the effectice kerb weight is just marginally increased.
the back seat feels more comfortable than the swift cause it is slightly more reclined.

@ goandude - mga stands for " maruti genuine accessories"
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 10:35   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
But that was one thoughtful and well written report. Great car and satisfying experience is what I felt reading it. Looking forward to the experience (minus the climate control and 3 way seat adjjust) in the VDI.
when did you change to michelin xm1's? what are mga mats? how is the garware on the windscreen as far as night driving visibility is concerned?

17 - 19 is OK. esp if you keep at speeds >100 kmph. For 20+ one would have to drive at a sedate 80-90. IMO.
Thanks Goandude and Shantyrocks!

I would suggest you change to alloys and 185/70/14 Michelins or some other good tyres in your VDi at the showroom itself. Will get you good price for your stock tyres and rims. I changed to XM1+ at 8500 km.

I have been using Garware film for front wind screen for 4 yrs now. There is no difference in the night visibility. The installation is what matters. No bubbles, no scratches. There is no way one can tell there is a film installed.

On the FE, I am expecting Iceberg to drink less. I presume, it has got to do with the driving style. I am used to petrol engines and get very good FE with them. Am I thinking correct?

The fuel guage is not caliberated well. When on half mark the fuel actually is at one third level. Can lead to mis judgement on highway drives. Zen or 800 have a much better caliberated fuel guage. Also of the 43 litre capacity one can use only about 35 litre at max. The guage drops to E and gets scary without a low fuel warning light. In a Zen, I remember using upto 32 litres of the 35 litres of tank.
Ciao!

Last edited by dushmish : 29th May 2009 at 10:53. Reason: Added point about fuel guage
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 20:06   #48
BHPian

Hi folks!

Iceberg has completed 18,000 km in less than 10 months. It has been an amazing journey all the way. I have never driven so much. Am off work (on a sabbatical since the last 3 months). So no commuting for me. All the driving is for house work related stuff (read shopping) or for sheer pleasure of driving. Iceberg has been a pleasure to drive.

FE was a concern (by a km at max) till some time ago. Not anymore. I have been getting 16.5 in Mumbai traffic. On highways I have got 19 - 20 on hilly terrain. I am happy with it.

There are no rattles yet. The boot has started making a clank sound when being closed at the halfway mark. shall get it checked soon. Could be because of one of the supporting rods getting out of alignment. The left head lamp low beam filament had fused. It was an Orsam. Got a new Phillips Rally. It is definitely brighter than the Orsam on RHS. Both are 100/90.

I continue to use Indial Oil regular Diesel. Once in 10 times or so I use Extra Mile. Have been searcing for the 3M fuel additive but could not find it. Did not use the Maruti recommended on my last service thinking they charge more.

Did experience the tail swaying out once during high speed (80 kmph) braking. Will not attribute it to car completely as the right hand wheels were off road and that is the direction in which it swayed. It was scary. My fault. Please do not ask how when why on this.

More next time.

Ciao!
Old 22nd August 2009, 22:08   #49
BHPian

Hello Dushmish,

Congratulations for a well written review on Swift Dzire. In fact I owned a white Dzire Zdi for 2 months (sold it before coming to Muscat).

A reliable, highly fuel efficient family car, easy to drive both in city and highways. Not a great handler unlike Swift or Fiesta, can except swaying during high speed braking especially when the boot & rear seats are empty.
For normal driving handling charecteristics seem quite adequate

Prospective buyers should consider few upgrades -

1) Replace the stock tyres (mine was JK) with Michelin, Yokohama or even Bridgestone.

2) Head lamp upgrade is a must for safe highway driving, better to get it done by the Maruti service centre

3) The stock speakers seem below average, better to replace them.

Dont make the mistake of going in for premium diesel - wasting your money & damaging the engine.
KITE RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 20:23   #50
vsh
BHPian

hi dushmish
i enjoyed reading your thread. well written. i also own dzire vdi(white) and so far my experience is very good. i have completed 25000 km in 7 months(you see, its our first car). i have not yet changed my tyres, but thinking of upgrading it in next service and also want to change the headlight also.
you have not posted for sometime now, waiting for your update
vsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 19:28   #51
Senior - BHPian

18000 in 10 months. 25k in 7 months. you guys are freaking out on your rides. I've done a humble 4000 km in 6 weeks. and I can feel the pleasure of a dzire 1.3 DDIS when overtaking on the highway. of my 4000 km only 300 has been in the city. rest was highway. and for the first time wifey actually looks forward to these drives and never complains when doing triple digit speeds, esp the overtaking manoeuvres.
In fact I like the growl of the DDIS so much I switch off the music system to hear it better. The Yokos are great but I feel mitchelin would of been better as far as comfort goes (vitamin M). Cheers
GD
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 20:03   #52
BHPian

Hi dushmish,

Let us know the negative points or drawbacks of your car after 18K kms.
jaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 20:23   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
18000 in 10 months. 25k in 7 months. you guys are freaking out on your rides. I've done a humble 4000 km in 6 weeks. and I can feel the pleasure of a dzire 1.3 DDIS when overtaking on the highway. of my 4000 km only 300 has been in the city. rest was highway. and for the first time wifey actually looks forward to these drives and never complains when doing triple digit speeds, esp the overtaking manoeuvres.
In fact I like the growl of the DDIS so much I switch off the music system to hear it better. The Yokos are great but I feel mitchelin would of been better as far as comfort goes (vitamin M). Cheers
GD
4 thousand in 6 weeks and humble . Thats more like 3 k a month.
Btw mine stands at 16nd half thousand in little over 7 months.

People say a diesel car saves money by giving you better economy but heck with a diesel car u drive twice or thrice as much you would in a petrol car. lol

Loved the review dude of your ddis, keep the kilometers rolling.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 20:41   #54
BHPian

Hi VSH, Goandude and Humyum, your odo readings have made me feel Iceberg is parked. Who says diesel car is cheap to run? From the sprints I used to do in my Zen LXi, I have moved up to doing marathons in Iceberg. Oh! I am loving it.

Yes there are some negative things about the car. I have mentioned them in my earlier posts. For the money one pays, and the value we get, I don't think there is a huge negative that is a turn off. I am not saying that this is the best car, but what I mean is I am happy with what I got.

Now that you have asked me to list specific negatives. I will spend some time thinking and then post them tomorrow.
Old 1st September 2009, 07:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

My BIGGEST negative is the pathetic rear visability. Have learnt to live with it, as I now check my reverse path from outside the car then get in and reverse using the mirrors. Other than that only positives. it makes me one happy person to get behind the wheel and drive.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 10:53   #56
BHPian

The negatives:
  1. +1 for that Goandude. Reversing is difficult with poor visibility.
  2. The RHS A column makes a big blind spot. Making it dificult to take sharp right turns. Difficulty increases in hilly terrain where turns are sharp and numerous.
  3. The boot metal is too flimsy. Feels like Tin.
  4. Rear leg space is less for the size of car it is. For long drives, a 5'10" person will not get space to stretch the legs.
  5. The plastic is better than most cars but doesn't compare to good old Zen.
  6. FM reception is poor. Could be because of poor quality antenna.
  7. The stock speakers are just OK. I am no music freak but can make out that the sound quality could be much better.
  8. No USB input for music system. Now that is a big lapse in today's times.
  9. Intruding hinges on the boot take away some space from the very spacious boot. Could have been designed better. More space is always welcome.
  10. The fuel guage caliberation is poor. Very poor actually. With 10 litres in tank it drops to E. Thats scary. Leaves the driver with only 33 odd litres as usable capacity of the total 43.
  11. The stock tyres are pathetic.
  12. The stock head lamps are poor. Low illumination. Now you know why most people driving Swift keep there fog lamps on.
For now these many are enough. Shall add if I can think of more.

Ciao.
Old 1st September 2009, 10:56   #57
BHPian

18000 in 10 months. 25k in 7 months. humble 4000 km in 6 weeks.

WOW WOW WOW WOW.

I have done hardly 2600 kms in close to 1 1/2 month and think that i have really driven quite a lot. :-). Jameen pe utaar diya aapne humko sirji. my pride balloon - kaput.
mishranishant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 15:57   #58
Senior - BHPian

Great review, Dushmish, very detailed.

The right place for discussing these XXX km in YYYY months is Sudev's LTO report of the Grand Vitara. He has done 1,00,000 km or so in two years of ownership on a Petrol SUV.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 19:23   #59
vsh
BHPian

dushmish
may i know how much did it cost for your new michelin tyres? i am yet to upgrade my tyres!
vsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 00:49   #60
BHPian

Thanks Architecht! I don't compare odo readings with people like Sudev, who seem to be commuting between Delhi and Mumbai for work. LOL! BTW there is a thread on highest odo readings. Some of those are for space travel.

VSH, I got Rs 800 for my 8500 km old tyres. With one rotation done at 5000 km. I paid Rs 3450 for Michelins.