Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 2nd September 2009, 11:00   #61
BHPian

Completed 19,000 km this morning. Still 4 days to go to complete 10 months.

The sound that I reported was coming while closing the boot has disappeared on its own. Shall still get it checked during the service. Should be ready for 20k service by next weekend or early next week.
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 13:15   #62
BHPian

Got a footpump for Rs 100 for Iceberg. A tubeless repair kit and we are all set for Lonnng drives. Shall get the 20,000 km service done this week. Other than the regular stuff as per schedule, what else should I get done during the service? I will continue to use Mobil Delvac MX.

The LHS head lamp, low beam had fused a couple of weeks ago. Changed to Phillips Rally. Last night the RHS lamp also fused. Low beam filament both the times. Both the bulbs were Orsam. Is it a quality issue or something wrong with my electricals? In my 7 years of owning a car and 100,000 km of driving, I have never had a fused lamp. A little worried about this as am embarking on a long drive this week.

Last edited by dushmish : 6th September 2009 at 13:16. Reason: Edited a typo.
Old 7th September 2009, 20:31   #63
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Got a footpump for Rs 100 for Iceberg. A tubeless repair kit and we are all set for Lonnng drives. Shall get the 20,000 km service done this week. Other than the regular stuff as per schedule, what else should I get done during the service? I will continue to use Mobil Delvac MX.

The LHS head lamp, low beam had fused a couple of weeks ago. Changed to Phillips Rally. Last night the RHS lamp also fused. Low beam filament both the times. Both the bulbs were Orsam. Is it a quality issue or something wrong with my electricals? In my 7 years of owning a car and 100,000 km of driving, I have never had a fused lamp. A little worried about this as am embarking on a long drive this week.
two days back i went to MASS for wheel alignment and general checkup at 25000km. i asked about upgrading head lamp. the service guy said - it is risky and when you apply highbeam, there is chance of lamp being fused. if you still want- make separate wiring and fit lamps separately. so i left the idea.
vsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 11:35   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
two days back i went to MASS for wheel alignment and general checkup at 25000km. i asked about upgrading head lamp. the service guy said - it is risky and when you apply highbeam, there is chance of lamp being fused. if you still want- make separate wiring and fit lamps separately. so i left the idea.
I have got a relay installed at MASS when I upgraded the head lamp to 100/90. I don't know what a relay is but I believe is some modification that should ensure the bulbs do not fuse so often. Have changed both the lamps to Phillips Rally. Hoping that they last the car's lifetime.
Old 9th September 2009, 12:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Got a footpump for Rs 100 for Iceberg. A tubeless repair kit and we are all set for Lonnng drives.
So now you can throw out the stepney and make more place in the boot.
BTW you are one of the only menbers who has got his headlights upgraded to 100/90 with relay by the MASS.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 17:18   #66
BHPian

I know I am lucky that MASS upgraded the lamps with relay for me. Gave the car for service today. Planning to start for a drive to Leh on Friday (11th Sep). No complaints with the car. No rattles. No issues at all. Regular service. The estimate for 20,000 km service is as below:
  1. Paid service - 760 + 60 (i don't know what this extra 60 is for)
  2. Oil filter change - 450
  3. Gear oil change - 790
  4. coolant change - 209
  5. Radiator flush - 290 (costlier than coolant!)
  6. Diesel filter change - 1300
  7. Air filter change - 310
  8. Clutch fluid change - 450
  9. Brake oil change - 350 + 350
  10. Engine De-carburising (I fell for this, don't know the real benefit) - 1800 + 500 (for the flushing fluid)
  11. Engine oil flushing - 550 (I realise as I write this that I am being charged for flushing twice)
  12. Brake cleaning - 465 + 465 (Fr and Rr)
Total
Spares - 1670
Consumables - 2849
Labour - 4580
TOTAL - 9099

I have bought 2.1 litres of Mobil Delvac MX (@ Rs 196/litre) and 1 Litre of Mobil 1 (@ Rs 703/litre) to be mixed and added during the oil change. Shall get Diesel treatment additive added tomorrow. Not sure of its price.

Gave the car this afternoon at 2:30 shall get it tomorrow same time.

Shall get the wheel rotation and alignment/balancing done at Michelin dealer tomorrow. Should cost me Rs 750.
Old 10th September 2009, 08:42   #67
Senior - BHPian

you are mixing synthetic oil with mineral??? i dont think thats advisable.All the best for your trip to Leh. I will be a long trip for sure. waiting for your report. Almost 10 K for 20 K service is a bit much IMO. Comments anyone?
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 10:35   #68
BHPian

I have my eye for a Dzire Vxi since a long time now. This would be my first car and I don't even know driving yet !! A lot of people have complained about rattles, etc in a car but since I come with a clean slate I thought that it would be a good car for me - being the first car and all that. But somewhere at the back of the mind, I always thought that going in for a Maruti car would be a compromise as they are value for money but to do that they may have cut some corners.

Reading your review lays to rest all my apprehensions. I'm now really looking forward to booking my Dzire in the next few months. Hope Vxi is also similar in value for money for a sedan as the diesel variant is.
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 12:07   #69
BHPian

Dushmish, I think they charged you a bit more.
Quote:
  1. Air filter change - 310. Keep the old air filter, since you are going to leh it might be useful spare.
  2. Engine De-carburising (I fell for this, don't know the real benefit) - 1800 + 500 (for the flushing fluid). Maruti Service Advisor told me that Decarbonising is done for engines above 1lakh KM.
  3. Engine oil flushing - 550 (I realise as I write this that I am being charged for flushing twice). Since this is your 4th service in an year, i think there wont be much of sludge in oil sump.
  4. Brake cleaning - 465 + 465 (Fr and Rr). MASS charged 250Rs for Front and 250 for rear to me.
I have done 20K service fro WagonR total amount is around 2800Rs including consumable.

Quote:
I have bought 2.1 litres of Mobil Delvac MX (@ Rs 196/litre) and 1 Litre of Mobil 1 (@ Rs 703/litre) to be mixed and added during the oil change.
Same query as Goandude. Why are you mixing 2 types of oil ??
Quote:
Shall get the wheel rotation and alignment/balancing done at Michelin dealer tomorrow. Should cost me Rs 750.
Balancing is 250Rs for 5 wheels and alignment would be 150Rs in pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
BTW you are one of the only menbers who has got his headlights upgraded to 100/90 with relay by the MASS.
He is not the only one, even i am thinking to do it from MASS
shabahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 13:25   #70
BHPian

I checked with the tech support of three oil cos, mixing synth and mineral is not a problem at all. In fact semi synth is a mix. I realise the mistake of falling for decarburising. Rest is fine as the rates are standard. Your car is a WagonR, Shabahmad. Prices vary across models. I will still check the standard rate card.

Wheel alignment and balancing, my post was a guesstimate. Shall let you know the exact cost. The service seems expensive as I have adhered to all that was prescribed in the service schedule. The 2300 for de carbusrising and the flushing 500 could be avoided.

kalpesh, it is a damn good car. The petrol and diesel both are good to own and drive.
Old 10th September 2009, 14:19   #71
BHPian

You are correct Dushmish, The prices of spares are mostly accroding to cars. It seems they take premium for diesels. For WagonR oil filter is around 75 Rs and same oil filter is used on alto is around 65 Rs. I have seen this prices on there Price List kept in customer lounge.

if you see the price list there is a huge difference in prices for Oil Filters, brake pads, even stock air filters between and petrol swifts/Dzire & diesel swifts/Dzire.

By the way best of luck for your long drive.
shabahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 21:11   #72
BHPian

Drove Iceberg to KHARDUNG LA. Yes, you read it right. It was an awesome experience. Posting the details on a separate thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...top-world.html
Old 29th September 2009, 13:13   #73
BHPian

When I bought this car I had decided that I am going to drive lots. Had been planning to head for the Himalayas for the last few months. The trip finally happened this month. Started on 11th Sep from Mumbai. This was post the 20,000 service. The car was good as new. Drove through some of the most trecherous terrains of the world. Where roads don't exist. Returned to Mumbai on 22nd Sep having covered 6500 km.

All we did for the car through the trip was to refuel it. No cleaning, no any thing else. It was dirty as it could be. Got it washed in Jaipur on way back. Also got the air filter cleaned there.

Somethings I want to list down about the car.
  1. The climate control is simply amazing. We experienced temperatures ranging from 42 C to -4 C during our trip. The inside was always effortlessly maintained at 20 to 24 C. It is so silent, no loud blower noise. The most amazing thing is how it changes modes from fresh air to recirculation to de-fogging to heater.
  2. The head lamps have been changed to Phillips Rally. Night driving has never been so comfortable. The lights are bright and the throw is evenly distributed and long. We were extremely cautious about dipping the light for on coming traffic.
  3. The front seats are very comfortable. I have had problems of back ache in my earlier cars. This time there are no complains.
  4. The boot is VERY spacious. We had so much stuffed in it. Even the rear seat had our quilts and jackets and food stuff.
  5. Stability - drove the car at a high of 140 kmph and it was steady. High speed breaking as against the notion, there was no fish tailing. My mama who owns a NHC, found this to be more stable on high speeds.
  6. Tyres - The more I praise the Michelins, the less it will be. Not once did we have to check air pressure. No flat tyres. 6500 Km of worry free driving. No tyre noise, cannot get better grip on the road. Amazing breaking. Mama is a convert, shall only buy Michelin now.
  7. Seat height adjust, steering tilt adjust, all this is so ergonomic and so driver freindly. We just enjoyed driving. No aches in shoulders. It is not a joke to drive 6500 km in 12 days and not have any aches when one is not a pro in driving.
Shall be posting more things as I remember them. The mileage was 17 kmpl approx for the entire trip. Shall be posting segment wise mileage on the travelogue (link given in previous post). Crossing Khardungla we got 13.5 kmpl. What more do we ask for?

Had taken the car straight to MASS for a check up. No complaints. Not a rattle. Underbody fine. Shall get it serviced at 30,000.

To celebrate car and its success during the trip, took my wife and daughters to Kas Pathar (Platue) neat Satara (MH). 600 km in one and half days. Oh I am loving the car. And yeah, for this trip, Iceberg returned 19.5 km per litre.
Old 29th September 2009, 13:24   #74
BHPian

Dushmish,

Congratulations on your great trip, it was wonderful to read both your threads.
KITE RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 22:17   #75
BHPian

Thanks Kiterunner.

Would like to mention that through the journey beyond Sonamarg to Leh and back, we did not come across any Indica, Indigo, any other sedan, Swift or any Mahindra vehicle except Scorpio. Other cars seen were Alto, Santro (occasional), Omni, Tatamobile (Tata 207).