Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th March 2009, 20:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

It is advised to change the pump when you do the TB change because it will fail soon (plastic impellers and all that jazz - detailed in other threads) and you'll have to get into the bowels of the engine to change it. So better to get it done while you have it up and open.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 12:59   #32
BHPian

has any RS owner lost his gearbox housing yet? mine broke at approx 40k kilometers due to a design flaw in the gearbox. it cost me a good 78k. the gearbox itself was saved as i stopped the car a few seconds after the thud as i could i smell transmission oil. initially i thought its a road hit.
jaideepshinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 15:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

Looks like even more skeletons are tumbling from the skoda cupboard. Not good :(
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 15:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaideepshinh View Post
has any RS owner lost his gearbox housing yet? mine broke at approx 40k kilometers due to a design flaw in the gearbox. it cost me a good 78k. the gearbox itself was saved as i stopped the car a few seconds after the thud as i could i smell transmission oil. initially i thought its a road hit.
its either a "road hit" , or the gear box mountings were worn out/ weak, i dont think there is any design flaw in the gear box housing . this seems like a freak incident , never heard of this happening in any rs or any other car for that matter.
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 16:46   #35
BHPian

the octavia's underbody protection makes it impossible for it to be a road hit.
i too was baffled at first...
check out this website and you'll get to the see the flaw which i'm talking about... my gearbox housing's condition looks exactly like the audi a3's gearbox shown in the pics.

VW GEARBOX VOLKSWAGEN GEARBOXES VW GEARBOX PARTS AUDI SEAT SKODA GEARBOXES 02K DUU DUS DLP ERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
its either a "road hit" , or the gear box mountings were worn out/ weak, i dont think there is any design flaw in the gear box housing . this seems like a freak incident , never heard of this happening in any rs or any other car for that matter.
Old 6th April 2009, 16:50   #36
BHPian

when you scroll down in the link you'll see what i'm talking about. one of the pics has a broken rivet adjoining it. also, the explanation skoda gave me for changing my differential when they were changing the housing was that i rivet was broken so the differential got wasted. i have all my parts with me still as proof. the thing mentioned on the site is identical to what happened to my car...
dont forget to see the assembly drawing on the site...
Quote:
Old 5th May 2009, 17:10   #37
BHPian

hey jaideep , thanks for the info . scary stuff!! sorry you had to face that problem.

battery changed . exide (dhoni on the box) rs 6600/- includes old battery deduction.

noticed that the dip stick is broken when i was getting the battery replaced.wonder how that happened .

anyway , the pic below is of some solace.
Attached Images

Old 5th May 2009, 17:25   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I think it is time to find a private garage/service station/tuner. There is a lot of difference in prices between A/S/S and the actual market rate for exactly the same part.
Quote:
monetary damage:(approx figures )
waterpump - 7k
timing belt - 3k
timing belt pulley - 4k
labour+consumables+coolant etc - 3 to 4 k.

plus regular service, oil+ filter change, fuel filter change , new rear brake pads, throttle body+ injectors clean up , alignment+balancing+rotation.
blah blah blah , another 12-13k
total - 30k (approx)
from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-promised.html
prices are:
Toothed Belt E/S 06B109119A 1 Rs. 1998
Tensioner Roller (RS) 0B109243F 1 Rs. 2788
Replaced Timing Kit Rs. 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I recommend skoda doing it considering it is a precision job
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaideepshinh View Post
has any RS owner lost his gearbox housing yet? .
Oh no. this is scary!
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 17:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

My RS gets a little overheated if im driving through heavy traffic for a long time with the AC on. The temp. needle which is usually at the half way point goes upto the 3/4th mark. Once i switch off the AC and get out of traffic, it'll come back to normal within a few minutes. What could it be??

Also im really getting pissed with the CEL light coming on all the time. Everytime i take it to Skoda and get it erased, it comes back again after a few days. Again, what could it be? Heard this does happen with most RS's, anyone else have the same experience?

A few months ago the EPC light started glowing on the car causing a lot of loss it power. I had to drive in a lower gear and somehow got it back home. This happened in Mysore where there is no Skoda dealer. Luckily Tafe has monthy camps in Mysore, and luckily for me it was happening a few days after this incident. I got an engineer to come and check the car. He did clear the problem in a few minutes and gave me a whooping Rs.4000 bill! Since the work had already been done there was nothing much i could do. Exactly 2weeks later the same problem surfaces. Again, had to wait for the weekend camp and got a engineer to check it again, this time told him about the previous incident and how it was not properly cleared. Again he plugged in the comp (or whatever its called) and got it sorted out. This time he took the payment from me and told me a bill would be sent from Tafe BLR, which i haven't got till date.

Again, what could have caused this??
All this was a few months ago, and luckily the problem hasn't come back. TOUCHWOOD!

Last edited by karthik247 : 5th May 2009 at 17:32.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 17:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

While clearing the error code, did they not check what was causing it in the first place?
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 17:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
While clearing the error code, did they not check what was causing it in the first place?
About the CEL, they always say its because of using bad fuel. This was at Skoda TVM, not it BLR. The CEL light is back and is glowing right now, will have to take it to Tafe/Vinayak and lets see what they say about it.

About the EPC, the first time they simple erased it without checking, like i said the work was done very fast. The second guy did check something out and said since its a 04' model car ill have to get it to Tafe BLR and get all the electricals checked, serviced and replaced if necessary. They did not give me any estimates on how much it will cost, but said it will take about 4-5days to get it checked throughly. I just told him to clear it out for the moment and maybe if it happens again i can think about getting it checked. This time he charged Rs1800 as 'attending break down' charges.
Old 5th May 2009, 17:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
My RS gets a little overheated if im driving through heavy traffic for a long time with the AC on. The temp. needle which is usually at the half way point goes upto the 3/4th mark. Once i switch off the AC and get out of traffic, it'll come back to normal within a few minutes. What could it be??

Also im really getting pissed with the CEL light coming on all the time. Everytime i take it to Skoda and get it erased, it comes back again after a few days. Again, what could it be? Heard this does happen with most RS's, anyone else have the same experience?

A few months ago the EPC light started glowing on the car causing a lot of loss it power. I had to drive in a lower gear and somehow got it back home. This happened in Mysore where there is no Skoda dealer. Luckily Tafe has monthy camps in Mysore, and luckily for me it was happening a few days after this incident. I got an engineer to come and check the car. He did clear the problem in a few minutes and gave me a whooping Rs.4000 bill! Since the work had already been done there was nothing much i could do. Exactly 2weeks later the same problem surfaces. Again, had to wait for the weekend camp and got a engineer to check it again, this time told him about the previous incident and how it was not properly cleared. Again he plugged in the comp (or whatever its called) and got it sorted out. This time he took the payment from me and told me a bill would be sent from Tafe BLR, which i haven't got till date.

Again, what could have caused this??
All this was a few months ago, and luckily the problem hasn't come back. TOUCHWOOD!
never had the CEL light come on in my car, only when the water pump blew the water temp warning light came on with the audible warning beeps.

hey karthik, what was the service person's explanation for what he was doing and his charges?

@navin- are those prices inclusive/exclusive of taxes?
Old 5th May 2009, 18:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey karthik, what was the service person's explanation for what he was doing and his charges?
Rs1800 was the basic charges for attending a breakdown which i paid both the times. Got the bill only for that.

He didn't give any proper reasoning. For everything they want me to get it to Tafe BLR. Like mentioned before, the second guy wanted me to get all the electricals checked.
Old 5th May 2009, 18:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
Rs1800 was the basic charges for attending a breakdown which i paid both the times. Got the bill only for that.

He didn't give any proper reasoning. For everything they want me to get it to Tafe BLR. Like mentioned before, the second guy wanted me to get all the electricals checked.
bloody crooks! first of all they dont have enough qualified personel in blr , imagine the ones that they send to mysore for these camps .
Old 5th May 2009, 18:20   #45
Senior - BHPian

*sigh*

The solution to a CEL is not turning off the damned CEL. You have to get them to see what the error code is and fix the problem and not the fact that the light is turned on.

To be honest, knowing how technically competent Skoda service is, I think it would be cheaper for you to purchase a VAG-COM, see what's really causing the error and then get it rectified by an independent garage instead of paying them INR 1800/- to click a "Clear all error codes" button on the laptop each time the light comes up.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote