Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 19th November 2010, 13:52   #91
Team-BHP Support

Looks like throttle body connections. Might also be dirty MAF sensor

Again fault codes....
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 15:59   #92
BHPian

I have had my EPC light come on when crawling through start-stop traffic, although not with all the symptoms that you described. When I popped the bonnet, I could hear a hissing sound from the left side. Turned out one of the pipes from the charcoal canister had a loose clip, which I replaced. Seems fine now.
I would recommend switching back to the normal air filter. The oiled air-filters have been reported to cause MAF problems on BRISKODA.
Bomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 18:04   #93
BHPian

just got a call from the service advisor, it seems that fault which has shown up is engine speed sensor G28 - implausible signal.

This will be confirmed by the tech guy who will "surely" visit tomorrow.

The service head outrightly refused to share the fault codes. he said only if he gets a go ahead from skoda can he give a print out of the VAS scaning.
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:16   #94
BHPian

Got the car back yesterday without the problem rectified.
Did not want to leave the car there. the engine speed sensor is not in stock. the part has been ordered and i was told it will take abt a week to ten days.

managed to get the vas diagnosis log from the service advisor. it is attached herewith.

some faults with the battery terminals and the xenon lamps have also shown up.

was not able to find fault codes 16705,16706,01344 and 01533 on ross tech fault codes list.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan0001 RS diagnosis log.pdf (677.8 KB, 1135 views)

Last edited by siddartha : 23rd November 2010 at 14:21.
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:12   #95
BHPian

After a week long wait( not bad at all .. i was thinking it might take longer than promised.) the part finally arrived and i got the car back yesterday with the engine speed sensor replaced.

I have driven the car for abt 60 kms. no problems so far.
feeling quite relieved. hope i havent spoken too soon.

Most importantly the car is feeling ok , and is accelarating normally.

The part no of the engine speed sensor is 06A9066433C and costs
rs 3609 plux taxes. labour +VAS scan costed rs 716/-

Along with this .. a flanged pipe, a part of the cooling system has been replaced which was leaking. part no 06A121132AP and costs rs 586 plus taxes. labour for this job costed rs 500/-

Throttle body adaptation done, was charged rs 300/- separately.
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:43   #96
Team-BHP Support

I could have saved you Rs 300!!!!

First thing first - when the error code threw up this sensor failure, what stopped them from procuring this and replacing it ? Why the rigmarole of gettign a tech engineer etc?
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:50   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I could have saved you Rs 300!!!!

First thing first - when the error code threw up this sensor failure, what stopped them from procuring this and replacing it ? Why the rigmarole of gettign a tech engineer etc?
i have the same question in mind.

The engine speed sensor fault used to occur intermittently.
I was told that the uring the previous VAS scans this fault had not shown up and so thats why they could not pin point it.

So only on the last scan the g28 sensor failure showed up. this was coz the MI light was on when i sent it this time.

previous occasions there was no MI or EPC light showing when i gave the car.

so only when the warning lights are on , will the VAS scan thow up fault codes??
dont the fault codes get stored? or do only some codes get stored. or does the fault code disappear when the faulty sensor would start working again?
Old 4th December 2010, 15:57   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
dont the fault codes get stored? or do only some codes get stored. or does the fault code disappear when the faulty sensor would start working again?
The fault codes normally are stored on the ECU depending on their severity. On my Swift the stock ECU used to store the last 10 fault codes that occurred. So I am sure they must be getting stored somewhere on your car too. If they are not then I would be rather surprised.

On the Swift the error codes are given three priorities. Low, Medium and High. The low and medium priority codes are erased after 3 days if the fault does not appear again. But the high priority ones are stored permanently and have to be manually erased after the problem has been rectified.

I am guessing your cars ECU will/should also have the same logic. Ajmat will be able to clarify this better.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 16:59   #99
Team-BHP Support

Correct, once they occur,te fault codes get stored until cleared.
Bit of bull or incompetence, i dare say
Old 4th December 2010, 19:00   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
First thing first - when the error code threw up this sensor failure, what stopped them from procuring this and replacing it ?
Because they keep deleting the fault codes like system errors rather than considering them as diagnostic tools to indicate where the fault is!
Welcome to incompetent Indian technicians.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 22:31   #101
Team-BHP Support

Sid, I think it makes sense in your case to get a VAG-COM cable. Looks like you'll be spending a lot in VAG scans.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 16:57   #102
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Octavia vRS woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaideepshinh View Post
Ok, I'm back with more news. My second gearbox housing is about to go. This time i'm planning on taking it up with Skoda Aurangabad, and if they ignore it, i'll probably head towards the consumer forums.

Just for the record, check out the links below. the Gearbox housing issue is causing by a rivet failure which seems to be a design flaw.

Taxi Driver Online :: View topic - skoda gearbox
Audi and Volkswagen 02K Transmissions

Skoda Octavia 1.9 sdi (DUU) FREE FITTING/DELIVERY on eBay (end time 26-Jul-10 05:00:20 BST)

VW GEARBOX VOLKSWAGEN GEARBOXES VW GEARBOX PARTS AUDI SEAT SKODA GEARBOXES 02K DUU DUS DLP ERT

its a problem with many gearboxes of the VAG group cars. I am surprised that many people haven't faced it. Or is it that many people call it a general gearbox failure and dont notice the problem?

I'll post pics of my old housing soon. and that of my new housing once it goes.

Can you please post and update or a picture of the gearbox housing, as by the links I have the exact same problem. And the car is at the workshop as we speak. Thanks a lot.
nanu28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 17:12   #103
BHPian

latest problems:

1. rear door central locking actuators- sometimes one side works, and sometimes both dont work. service advisor says i have to change the actuators.

2. 3rd gear and 5th gear not engaging - problem with some linkages from gear lever to gear box.

3. idling rpm fluctutuates sometimes - 500 rpm to 1200 rpm. this problem still hasnt been fully resolved from last time.

4. slight rubbing noise from front LH wheel.

5. change gear box oil.

car has been sent to vinayaka for 70k KMS service and to rectify the above problems.

not going to be doing any of major jobs such as clutch + flywheel replacement, brake pads + replace all rotors, replace front struts and rear dampers.

service advisor is more than willing to do the above major jobs so that he can make a big fat bill.

i am keeping the above jobs pending as of now, so that i can decide/research whether or not i should go for o.e parts or upgrades depending on price and availability. would like to seek ajmat's advice on the above mentioned major jobs.

@nanu28 - sorry to read abt your gearbox issues, hope it has been sorted.
Old 24th February 2011, 17:28   #104
v&v
Senior - BHPian

add to vikram_d has commented, EPC will not generate a freeze frame data only the error code is generated but MIL will also store the freeze frame data too ie values of different sensors at the time of MIL.

@siddartha , this problem (1) occurs in my vrs too but some time only. My FMG told, these have a small electronic circuits, it commonly have faults like dry solder or bad/damaged cable.

Last edited by v&v : 24th February 2011 at 17:34.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:11   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
add to vikram_d has commented, EPC will not generate a freeze frame data only the error code is generated but MIL will also store the freeze frame data too ie values of different sensors at the time of MIL.

@siddartha , this problem (1) occurs in my vrs too but some time only. My FMG told, these have a small electronic circuits, it commonly have faults like dry solder or bad/damaged cable.

The service advisor said i need to change the actuators, and they cannot be repaired or serviced even though its just a case of faulty contacts.

i have decided not to listen to whatever the service advisors say... trying to get my hands on a service manual. does anybody have one? please share the link, details.