Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

View Poll Results: How's your Dicor 2.2VTT ownership been (see 1st post for explanation)
No Issues 25 26.32%
Minor Niggles 50 52.63%
Major Issues 10 10.53%
What a pain 10 10.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th March 2009, 21:54   #46
BHPian

Sorry Amit ! point taken. I should have seen the thread title more carefully to realize its about ownership experience and not a TD report . I request the mods to move it to a more appropriate thread or remove it.
But in my defense i did not do the gustakhi of voting !

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 4th March 2009 at 21:55.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 22:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Why does it always prop up in Safari thread ???

No idea guys the Safari is not let alone anywhere, it has got fans in many ways
You quoted my post Gowda79.. 'prop up .. Let alone' ..What is it that you are trying to say??
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 23:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Zenx

Very sorry but IMHO, I think this exercise is not going to get you any closer to your answer - if anything you might find yourself in the exact same spot - or marginally more confused.

I doubt if you are going to uncover anything new. Buying a Safari is always going to be a mixed bag - like Anup Mathur said - akin to owning an Enfield. It may not be entirely niggle free but the experience is unbeatable! If you are prepared to accept the initial niggles as a part of the experience, the vehicle will give you years of motoring fun - After all their warranty is unbeatable! I will get mine soon!
Understand what you're saying, and agree. Just trying to put numbers to all the stuff I've heard. Also, this is not so much for me but for future buyers - I thought this was missing info. My mind is made up - its just a question of finding something I both like and can afford
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 23:13   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Understand what you're saying, and agree. Just trying to put numbers to all the stuff I've heard. Also, this is not so much for me but for future buyers - I thought this was missing info. My mind is made up - its just a question of finding something I both like and can afford

Good!

You original post gave the impression that your decision depended on the outcome of this poll - hence my reply!

Regardless of what the numbers might throw up- Safari is going to continue to be a 'heart' decision more than the 'mind'.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 14:10   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
False +ves:
ram.west : dicor (not sure abt 2.2)
@zenx, IIRC ram.west has a 2.2 DICOR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Regardless of what the numbers might throw up- Safari is going to continue to be a 'heart' decision more than the 'mind'.
I think kb100 has summed it up well. A Safari purchase is more of a 'heart' decision than a mind. Especially if one has read the various ownership experiences on the forum or know someone who has owned one. A good parallel from the bike world is an Enfield Bullet. Most people love a bullet, but those taking a 'mind-based' decision would end up buying one of the many other trouble-free options available.

@zenx, if your your heart is already set on a Safari (like I think it is), then I am sure you are going to get one. No poll result is going to change that.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 5th March 2009 at 14:16.
supremeBaleno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 14:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
A good parallel from the bike world is an Enfield Bullet. Most people love a bullet, but those taking a 'mind-based' decision would end up buying one of the many other trouble-free options available.
LOL, SupremeBaleno, I'd posted the exact same thing at another thread yesterday!

Thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...-s-pune-2.html (Tata Safari A S S in Pune)

content:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Well said, Getsurya!
To my mind there is a parallel here: it's like owning an Enfield mobike!

There is a very dedicated following for these and there are people who swear by them as being the best touring mobikes available in the country.
The Enfields come with their share of problems, but while they work, the thrill they offer is unparalleled.

Enfield lovers are totally forgiving about breakdowns and problems that they have on their trips. To them, it is all part of a package. To them, there is no replacement for displacement, the sound of the exhaust is to die for, the low end torque is something to write home about!

At the end of the day, all else is forgiven! Forgiven? Heck no, wrong word! Even that is part of what a good holiday should be!

And who cannot admire such a lifestyle?
But,... but, it may not be your cup of tea! As you said, each one must choose what he is looking for. The market caters for all.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 14:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Nah I don't think its likely to be that black and white. Its not like everything else is utterly reliable and not fun, and the Safari is utterly unreliable and lots of fun. Hopefully, the thread will provide some sort of a data point against the backdrop of such extreme points of view that one hears from both proponents and opponents of this vehicle.

Sure there's "heart" involved, but that does not mean you ignore the head completely, and vice versa. Its more about a comfort level with various aspects that you know upfront, and a calculated risk on some. I TD'ed the Xylo some time ago. Amazingly VFM, but I did not like the handling and the vibes through the gearknob, and to me the risk that I might end up with a vehicle I don't look forward to driving was high. To someone else,the practicality of the vehicle and the fabulous value its represents may be attractive enough with the FTD factor being weighted low. The decision is always a calculation of both tangible issues and otherwise - both equally important to the ownership experience. To me the assignment of tags such as "heart" and "mind" etc seem dismissive of the others' reasons (yes I've done the same in the past, but then the opinion was given in the context of my parameters and weightage).

As long as one brings forward facts, experiences - they provide inputs. And this thread is one such attempt to provide that, without deriving conclusions. Thats left as an exercise to the buyer
zenx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 14:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

@deepaktpatil : Please do announce if u're a Safari 2.2 owner. Cannot see it in your profile/cursory glance across threads.
Old 5th March 2009, 14:50   #54
BANNED

Sameer, PM the 2.2 owners on this forum, get their telephone numbers and TALK to them. As I told you during the meet, a poll here (and not just this topic) tells one nothing.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 15:14   #55
BANNED

Even if Tata sorts out the isssue in The Safari after putting lot of effort, i don't think these kind of Safari bashing posts will be stopped by others.

Dude think about yourself whether you want to go for the Safari or not and close the thread.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 15:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

Guys - one last time. Thanks for all the advice. But - I - am - convinced about the 2.2 and looking for one already. No confusion/decision making there. Believe me when I say that. Really. Honest.

This thread is only to create something less subjective than anecdotal evidence for future prospective buyers. As they say around here, ashte.
Old 5th March 2009, 15:41   #57
BANNED

Quote:
This thread is only to create something less subjective than anecdotal evidence for future prospective buyers. As they say around here, ashte.
I do understand your concern and this thread should not add up to the other unwanted threads on the web spreading wrong info and confuse the Person who is planning to purchase the Safari in future.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 15:43   #58
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cool! That'll be awesome. How do I do this ?
Though dont know exactly, dadu most recently sent a PM to all 2.2 owners asking them feedback regarding the krrr noise - that looked like mass mail. So may be dadu can point out if that was so, contact him.

And also you have to take out all the Safari 3.0 owners and non-onwers from the poll, if possible

Last edited by adc : 5th March 2009 at 16:00.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 15:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The decision is always a calculation of both tangible issues and otherwise - both equally important to the ownership experience. To me the assignment of tags such as "heart" and "mind" etc seem dismissive of the others' reasons (yes I've done the same in the past, but then the opinion was given in the context of my parameters and weightage).
Sameer, I couldn't have put it any better myself; I think this "heart" thing has been peddled a bit too much across this forum with respect to the Safari. To be honest, there are enough issues that I've heard about the "mind" SUVs as well - its just that all owners may not have been as free & frank about sharing the experiences (my perception). I've seen a few posts of the following variety in the past couple of months only when someone has posted his experiences (hats off to the gentleman for being fortright enough to share these on the forum) -
oh that, yes it had happened on mine as well
oh, X&X haven't been able to resolve gearbox issues.

So, good to know that your mind is made up & Good luck in your quest, hope you get a good one (if not a new one ) soon!

Last edited by suman : 5th March 2009 at 15:51.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 15:52   #60
Senior - BHPian

Thanks adc, will do.
@RajeshK, @cruiser_1982 - 2.2 owners ?
@suman : thanks Yes, that's starting to become a distinct possibility too....

Last edited by zenx : 5th March 2009 at 15:53.