Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 28th April 2009, 16:32   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Great stuff, Harrie, it's nice to see you enjoying every moment with your car. It's a fantastic engine, fun to drive and relaible and fast when you want it to be.

Take care & drive safe.
Thanks a lot Farhan. I owe it to you major time. You got this whole thing started after all

Quote:
glad you are enjoying this car. How do you service this one? Will Mitsu dealers service this?
I have a mech at my shop who services the car. As in noting major has been done so far. Only regular engine oil top ups and such. Any good mechanic should be able to do this IMHO.

Quote:
i know this sounds stupid but whats a MIVEC lancer?
Its engine swapped lancer. The engine here is the 4G92 DOHC Mivec. Mivec is similar Honda's Vtec. This is more like a B16 engine swap in the OHC. Only in this case the engine mounts on the stock locations. And the lancer is better equipped to hanlde the extra power.

Quote:
lets see if i can make it to track day this friday so that i can have a look at your car.
are you coming?
Just remembered that its a long weekend for me. Cant resist another getaway in the mivec Trackday is too tempting but thinking seriously about the tires. I'll take a call on a long drive vs trackday by this evening and let you know.

Quote:
Cool car and even cooler report and pic's. The paint and painting finish look great.

Where did you get it done?
Thanks a lot bro. Got the paint done in house.
Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 18:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
But then if you compare it with the elantra you might be a tad disappointed. This is better than your OHCs and Balenos. But definitley not in the Crdi league as far as top speed and comfort are concerned.
What's the most the car has done? Have you removed the electronic speed limiter, or is that still there?
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 18:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
What's the most the car has done? Have you removed the electronic speed limiter, or is that still there?
Speedlimiter is still there. I have done 170 once or twice. My comfortable cruising speed is 80kmph. You will rarely see me crossing 100 kmph. For me its bout how fast I get to 100kmph that matters most. Top speed doesnt really interest me
Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 18:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

thanks Harrie for the paint code. i will request you once i have finalised my plans.
yes, i do agree that time taken to reach the 100 will make a difference in average speed. 16 kmpl is defenitely fantastic stuff. it near Santro mileage with atleast twice the power. Japs japs..i like their engines.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 21:27   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Cars begging for a Evo style Body kit !!

what kind of susp mods do you have? hows the low end torque for city driving?
Lastly, I am also curious about the 0-100 of you can have someone clock you.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 03:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
I have seen people saying it can do 6.7sec to 0-100 and 11sec for a quarter mile and some say no its only faster than an RS. let us know the actual figures for a stock mivec.
6.7 to a hundred, not stock, and 11 sec, that's just .
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 07:17   #52
BHPian

Quote:
The car felt fast. 3000...4000...4500..5000...BAM! I was like heck... I was experiencing Mivec kick in on WOT for the first time. The exhaust was no longer a growl. It was shrieking. 6000...7000rpm and the acceleration didnít let go. I was too scared to touch the redline. Immediately braked and shifted the car to neutral.

I spent the next 5 minutes trying to figure out what the heck happened. I was grinning and my eyes were gleaming behind the shades. I was floored. I knew Mivecs would be fast, had read about them from sideway's posts. But this was something very different! This was bliss. Motoring Nirvana!
In case if you are still confused, this is one of the explanations i found out once when i was confused.

Name:  mivec_list01.gif
Views: 2780
Size:  16.0 KB

MIVEC = Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control system

The dual-intake valve camshaft enables changing between low-speed and high-speed modes, resulting in easy operation from low to high rpms, improving the driving experience when starting from a stop light, merging onto the freeway, or accelerating to overtake another car. In the pursuit of pure driving enjoyment, potentially incompatible goals like fuel economy, environment-friendliness, and clean driving have all been achieved.

[Low-speed Mode]
The difference in the dual-intake valve lift (low lift and medium lift) and enhanced in-cylinder streaming further stabilize combustion without compromising fuel economy, emissions, and torque.

[High-speed Mode]
Extending the injection valve opening time and expanding the valve lift range increases intake air mass and achieves output close to best in class.
petrohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 07:50   #53
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Are you sure we are not twins?

Quote:
My comfortable cruising speed is 80kmph. You will rarely see me crossing 100 kmph. For me its bout how fast I get to 100kmph that matters most. Top speed doesnt really interest me
Either we are twins or clones but I am sure there are many out there who feel exactly the same. Even my name was Harry when I was in Lucknow in the early eighties.
Guess what you are one after my heart, I too would not dream of doing insane speeds. Reaching 100 is what matters to me most and stopping fom there without drama.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 10:06   #54
Senior - BHPian

@petrohead: MIVEC is Mitsu equivalent of Honda's VTec.

@Harrie: I saw 3 different engine specs for 4G92 (outputting 81/107/129 KW). Which one is this? Do you have it's technical specs? First one is ruled out since that is SOHC. So, it has to be 107/129 KW, either of which would be amazing.

Last edited by RX135 : 29th April 2009 at 10:07.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 11:56   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I raised the 10/11sec quarter mile question because of the comment made by sideways in..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...r-mivec-5.html (Mitsubishi Lancer - MIVEC)

post 63 - says that with proper mods we can take it to sub 10sec.

but have no idea how reliable it would be maybe sideways can help us here and list the mods aswell.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 11:59   #56
Senior - BHPian

Brraj that is with forced Induction, not NA.
What sideways meant was the engine is built to take a beating and can hold quite a bit.
but that involves extensive mods adn a lot of money
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 13:06   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Akshay, this is only a 1600cc engine putting out about 130KW. You have to remember that in order for the car to be quicker than what it already is, you will need to run it as light as possible. This means NO fancy ICE installations, damping the doors, large sub woofers etc.

The first time this kind of an engine came to India, it was run on a Lancer devoid of any of the above, and whether anyone beleives it or not (I care a fig in any case), we clocked 0-100 in 6.9 seconds.

With regards to quater mile in 11 seconds, it's possible with the right modifications in place, I never at any time stated that it would do 11 seconds in stock tune.

Does my car do any of the above - NO CHANCE, not with the amount of stuff thats in it. If it did, then most enthusiasts in this forum would be driving a lancer with a 4G92 MIVEC in it.

I am not getting defensive, I am stating facts. It would be nicer if people read up a little on what was stated in the past, before expressing their shock and / or surpise.

Quote:
Thanks a lot Farhan. I owe it to you major time. You got this whole thing started after all
Thanx Sajeeth, but I can't take the credit for that. It was J.D. and his father who first brought this engine into India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
I raised the 10/11sec quarter mile question because of the comment made by sideways in..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...r-mivec-5.html (Mitsubishi Lancer - MIVEC)

post 63 - says that with proper mods we can take it to sub 10sec.

but have no idea how reliable it would be maybe sideways can help us here and list the mods aswell.
Possible, but the question is - Is anyone willing to take the chance ?

Reliability after the mods ? - Your guess is as good as mine.

Cheers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th April 2009 at 14:16. Reason: Merging post
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 14:09   #58
Team-BHP Support

Hey Harrie, Congrats for driving from one dream to another man. You are one lucky guy.

It was your Psychoed Palio experience that has been continuously egging me to go down that path and now you post about the MIVEC. Too bad man -- in times of recession.

BTW, what's this 'track day' this friday???
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 14:15   #59
Senior - BHPian

The paint job is very unique on the lancer.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 14:37   #60
BHPian

Quote:
whether anyone beleives it or not (I care a fig in any case), we clocked 0-100 in 6.9 seconds.
Figures are impressive for a stock car .

Quote:
Possible, but the question is - Is anyone willing to take the chance ?
Reliability after the mods ? - Your guess is as good as mine.
Thats the question many has, but keeping reliability in mind i guess we can bring it close to 6sec for 0-100 .
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote