Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 25th March 2010, 22:04   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
how does this compare with TL 4X4?

Comparing both the pick up is a bit difficult, both have there good and bad, like the for power Xenon is the better one, interior wise TL is tad better than xenon, again the price of TL is quit less compared to xenon so the interior seam to be better at that price point.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 23:33   #107
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Xenon the million buck, ahem, truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I think I did mention that I am not aware of the Xenon's skills (or lack of them) as I havent even seen one in the flesh. My point was not about the Xenon v/s the others, my point was that people were writing off a vehicle simply because it isnt minimalistic like the Jeep or the Gypsy.

As for affordability, I saw a thread where someone wanted to sell a used Gypsy King for 4.7 lakhs. A new Major costs more than half the Xenon's price tag. The Gurkha, that other celebrated minimalist, costs the same as the Xenon.

For the additional ability to be able to comfortably carry people and perhaps (I say perhaps because I havent driven on) also serve as a 'car', the Xenon does seem to offer more for what they are asking for. Its a different way of looking at the issue - it is also the route I would prefer. Sure I may not be able to do certain things with it, but would I do those things in everyday life or even for a spot of adventure? No way - I am also not inclined to do impractical stuff just to prove what my vehicle can do. I want abilities on my vehicle that would help it serve its purpose as a vehicle, not as a means of climbing up a rock just for the sake of it. If the rock is on my way to somewhere, sure I would want to climb it. How many totally inaccessible places do I visit regularly - I dont live in deepest Africa, where incidentally they do not trust Jeeps.

Your comment on Jeep Rubicons giving TLCs sleepless nights, however, is something I will contest. Out here the Jeeps are called 'money pits' - one weekend off the road = 5 weekdays in the garage fixing various things. For the record, the modern Jeep's 4 Litre V6 also produces less torque than the 2.2 Dicor and is the only vehicle that has to be almost permanently in 4L while offroad while all the others are quite happy on 4H.
I do like to read the debate on Xenon vs CJ. I just want to add that even though GTO points strongly in favour of hard core offroading with Mahindra, not everyone is in that same league. Some of us may not do any off roading either even after owning an SUV / pick up.

The Xenon does offer something that Mahindra CJ doesn't, ie: brute looks especially in a crowded highway / city street. That may be more important to some in making a decision to buy.

Everyone has their own subjective level of comfort in the abilities they need / want in their vehicles and the money they are willing to spend for that. This decision shouldn't be looked down upon.

I agree with Steeroid in his view that supposedly being an all rounder, Xenon may be a better buy compared to owning 2 cars [a tiny city hatch + not so tiny Mahindra CJ] for the same price.

Last edited by pamiboy : 26th December 2010 at 23:35.
pamiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 00:37   #108
BANNED

i saw a XENON with a bigger engine, 3.0 Ltr Dicor, and with LSD. but this truck didnt look like a 4x4!

im trying to upload the photos, but im unable to do so. i will try again after some time.
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 18:42   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i saw a XENON with a bigger engine, 3.0 Ltr Dicor, and with LSD. but this truck didnt look like a 4x4!

im trying to upload the photos, but im unable to do so. i will try again after some time.

That's the safari engine, Launched 2 years back [I think] cheaper option for the 2.2L. That engine may come to India but with a bed from the 207Di .
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 12:48   #110
Senior - BHPian

If the THAR CRDE is to be pitched as a lifestyle vehicle with 4X4 capabilities, I feel, the XENON 4X4 should really be a strong competitor for the THAR assuming TATA can spend some time marketing this vehicle.

the XENON has almost all the things that many folks are cribbing for in the THAR thread - better interiors, ergonomics, A/C, hard top , front facing rear seats + its got a loading bay, better comfort, more power, full metal hard top, more modern dash layout etc etc

** Can someone confirm the XENON comes with an IFS ?**
what it misses is the classic JEEP looks ( but I persnally feel it makes up with its butch front end ) and maybe its not half as good a 4X4 as the THAR is - but the question is for all those people who will put in 7.5lakhs on the THAR and maybe another 50K to add a/c, hard top etc, would they be using the THAR for HARDCORE offroading ??

I tried checking the price of the XENON but the TATA WEBSITE has stopped displaying the price. If i remember correctly, it was around the 7-7.5 LAKH mark for the 4X4 which , now looking at the THAR CRDE pricing, seems to be AN ABSOLUTE STEAL !!
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 13:32   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Yes it does!

Quote:
what it misses is the classic JEEP looks ( but I persnally feel it makes up with its butch front end ) and maybe its not half as good a 4X4 as the THAR is - but the question is for all those people who will put in 7.5lakhs on the THAR and maybe another 50K to add a/c, hard top etc, would they be using the THAR for HARDCORE offroading ??

I tried checking the price of the XENON but the TATA WEBSITE has stopped displaying the price. If i remember correctly, it was around the 7-7.5 LAKH mark for the 4X4 which , now looking at the THAR CRDE pricing, seems to be AN ABSOLUTE STEAL !!
The pricing for Xenon is 7.7 Ex Showroom 4x2 and about 8.5 L Ex Showroom for 4X4. Considering the THAR is 6.5 Ex Showroom with AC/HT, there is a good 2 Lakh difference.

And both are two different genre of vehicles. So I think the comparison is not fair.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 13:43   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It would be a steal, if it was 7-7.5 lakhs. But the title of this thread says million bucks, that means 10L+ on road for Xenon 4x4.

Quote:
If the THAR CRDE is to be pitched as a lifestyle vehicle with 4X4 capabilities, I feel, the XENON 4X4 should really be a strong competitor for the THAR assuming TATA can spend some time marketing this vehicle.
You are right, as a lifestyle vehicle Xenon steals the show completely over Thar. But for offroaders, this is not a good choice. There are two reasons, the wheelbase is too long, and the rear overhang is also very long. These two alone will defeat the Xenon in most of our local trails.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 14:43   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The pricing for Xenon is 7.7 Ex Showroom 4x2 and about 8.5 L Ex Showroom for 4X4. Considering the THAR is 6.5 Ex Showroom with AC/HT, there is a good 2 Lakh difference.

And both are two different genre of vehicles. So I think the comparison is not fair.
I think purely on the basis of many people discussing the THAR CRDE as a lifestyle vehicle and the THAR MDI as a offroaders "dream come true", I felt the comparison was quite ok. How many cars do we any way have that can be slotted in the lifestyle segment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are right, as a lifestyle vehicle Xenon steals the show completely over Thar. But for offroaders, this is not a good choice. There are two reasons, the wheelbase is too long, and the rear overhang is also very long.

Has there been any Xenons in any of the OTRs? Given the above limitations and probably the advantage of a higher GC (?), do you think the Xenon would be 75% of THAR in the Offroad capability parameter ?
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 14:45   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

It was over 9lac for 4x4 for the Xenon.

Saw Bolero Camper Gold (or so ) last day with alloys and wider tyres.Looked great. Bet it would cost less than 7lac OTR ( hope it also comes with 4x4)
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 15:28   #115
BHPian

Quote:

the XENON has almost all the things that many folks are cribbing for in the THAR thread - better interiors, ergonomics, A/C, hard top , front facing rear seats + its got a loading bay, better comfort, more power, full metal hard top, more modern dash layout etc etc

Tata Xenon XT 2010 BS IV 4X4 version costs Rs.11,18,000/- onroad in Bangalore. This is about 75K above the BSIII version. However the 2010 BSIV version gets ABS with EBD and Safari Alloys with Chrome grill and beige interiors instead of Charcoal Grey. How many offroaders prefer beige over blank/grey is subjective.

I wouldn't compare a Xenon with Thar as there is huge difference between them. However when Thar was launched with onroad price of Rs.7,23,000/- in Bangalore it made me think twice whether to buy Xenon alone or buy Thar and a hatchback.
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 21:58   #116

Unfortunately what is lacking is build quality. I drove a new 4x4 version with less than 200 km running and the body noises sounded closer to a vehicle with 50000 km on the odo. I have a 6 yr old Bolero Camper 4x4 which has seen much rough use but still feels like new.
KD Ghorpade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 22:27   #117
BHPian

I second everyone here , you've got some mad writing skills. Awesome write up , I actually read it 2 times and forwarded the write up to friends in the office and everyone loved it !

As for the Xenon , I guess its all show and no GO
gautamkhadse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 22:40   #118
Senior - BHPian

A few weeks back, I was doing a little evaluation of a couple of MUV's / SUV's. Of particular I noted something about the Sumo Grande. The location of the intercooler. Quite vulnerable to be hit on a boulder/or curb on the rebound, especially if backing up. Then I noted that the same vulnerability is also inherited in the Xenon. So apart from the massive overhangs and the long wheelbase, this is also a potential showstopper.

However I also noted that there is adequate space on top of the engine to relocate it there.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 09:04   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Has there been any Xenons in any of the OTRs? Given the above limitations and probably the advantage of a higher GC (?), do you think the Xenon would be 75% of THAR in the Offroad capability parameter ?
Yes, the Xenon has attended OTRs in Bangalore.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...ble-otr-2.html

When one of these 2 ton+ trucks get stuck, it is an ordeal for everybody else.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 09:09   #120
BHPian

Found this interesting TVC of Xenon. Never saw it on TV though.

ambujlal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote