Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2015, 10:08   #346
BHPian
 
Manoj2268's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 182
Thanked: 90 Times
Default re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: Beyond 10 Years & 232,000 kms

Hi,

I have a peculiar problem with My WagonR(jun 04 and run 126K kms). It was recently serviced and all oils changed. When the engine is up to temperature, it kinda hunts around i.e. there is irregular idle(rhythmic increase and decrease). Is it an Air leak or something serious?
Manoj2268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 08:54   #347
BHPian
 
MunnabhaiMBBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 294
Thanked: 585 Times
Default re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: Beyond 10 Years & 232,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
One of the most common reasons for such jerking is due to water droplets entering the area where spark plug ignitors go in, mainly after that high pressure water wash.
Thanks Parag, I will definitely look into it. On the other hand, do you know how to set the idling speed ?
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 10:32   #348
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Singapore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 47 Times
Default re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: Beyond 10 Years & 232,000 kms

Congratulations on such a well maintained car at even such high mileage!! Hope you have many many more miles in the car!!!
KARR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 09:31   #349
BHPian
 
MunnabhaiMBBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 294
Thanked: 585 Times
Default re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: Beyond 10 Years & 232,000 kms

Parag,

Got the vehicle inspected at doorstep yesterday. Technician tried to convince me that it was normal, but I stuck to my claim. He adjusted the clutch play and jerks have reduced a bit. Going to take the car to the service center soon for in-depth analysis.

Such behavior is really surprising after cleaning the throttle body and fuel injectors. Gonna ask him to check the spark plugs and air filter as well.

On the other hand, I must admit that the staff of Chowgule Industries Ltd. in Pune is really co-operative.

Regards,
Ketan
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 10:40   #350
BHPian
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NCR/Turin
Posts: 416
Thanked: 582 Times
Default re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: Beyond 10 Years & 232,000 kms

Your car is what I would call mint,you have maintained her well. I also own a WagonR,a 2002 Lxi F10D. I am planning to get the steering replaced,one like yours will do well and also thinking of installing a tachometer, probably from a Ritz. I can see that you have installed those facelift's ORVM, how effective are they? My car has those square mirrors which came stock and they are absolutely appalling. I was thinking of getting internally adjustable ones. Do you of any other cars mirrors which will work? The electric ones of the facelifted VXI come to mind but they would be pretty expensive.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 11:32   #351
Senior - BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PNQ/MUM/PKD
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 684 Times
Default re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: Beyond 10 Years & 232,000 kms

I still cant believe your car still looks new even after 8.5 years and 2.25lakh KM. Kudos to your maintenance schedules.I dont know, but somehow I always feel any car runs perfectly well if maintained at ASS (just my personal observation) provided you get a good SA and technician offcourse.
The one thing that I like of the old gen wagon R is the headlights . Even with the stock set up it lights up the road pretty well.Upgrade to 100/90 it gets even better.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 15:49   #352
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,164
Thanked: 10,260 Times
Default re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: Beyond 10 Years & 232,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I can see that you have installed those facelift's ORVM, how effective are they? My car has those square mirrors which came stock and they are absolutely appalling. I was thinking of getting internally adjustable ones. Do you of any other cars mirrors which will work? The electric ones of the facelifted VXI come to mind but they would be pretty expensive.
What I have is from the Type III WagonR and popularly known as "Leaf Type" mirrors if you happen to buy them at the MGP Dealer.

I replaced them for a cause - I needed Convex Mirrors with wider view on both sides that would help me take up my drive to Gujarat way back in 2001 on those 3+3 lane roads. Ever since then, I am using these mirrors and found them more than satisfactory compared to the OE mirrors (Rectangular) that were flat and offered very limited view.

Electrical mirrors were also offered in the Type III WagonR for the VXi variants. I had initially contemplated to retrofit them into my car and learnt that the Mirror Assembly and the Switch would have made my pocket lighter by almost ~8000 INR and then I dropped the Idea. The Mirrors from Type III model would be an easy fit in case you are planning to but I doubt if it would be easily available today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I still cant believe your car still looks new even after 8.5 years and 2.25lakh KM. Kudos to your maintenance schedules.I dont know, but somehow I always feel any car runs perfectly well if maintained at ASS (just my personal observation) provided you get a good SA and technician offcourse.
The one thing that I like of the old gen wagon R is the headlights . Even with the stock set up it lights up the road pretty well.Upgrade to 100/90 it gets even better.
Thanks Rakesh. I believe, apart from the upkeep, driving it on regular basis also keeps tab on its health in terms of parts that usually conk-off due to non-usage.

Regarding headlights, I agree as I have noticed this and mentioned elsewhere on how Ertiga also fares bad when it comes to throw by the OE Headlight cluster. Both the WagonR and the Ertiga run on 100/90 with Wiring Kit but the quality of beam in WagonR is simply brilliant compared to the hazy throw in the Ertiga.
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 00:04   #353
BHPian
 
parth.jain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 73
Thanked: 100 Times
Default re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: Beyond 10 Years & 232,000 kms

This is one of the threads which I used to read time to time but couldn't reply since wasn't a member back then.

I must say, your car is really very well kept up! Nobody can say that it has been driven 225k kms by having a look at it! Looks new and I hope it drives like new also
By the way, what's that yellow strip on the RHS headlamp? Any special purpose?

Also, sad to read that it has been in an accident but glad that it recovered fully. Didn't you try to contact the truck driver and owner later?
parth.jain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 08:59   #354
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 95
Thanked: 40 Times
Default re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: Beyond 10 Years & 232,000 kms

Hi Parag,

I need your help. I have F10D BS3 Wagon R - 2010 model. Recently, i have observed that during highway runs, my steering feels sticky, almost like somebody put lot of glue into steering mechanism. But is not jammed. The above sticky steering behavior is only after >60 kmph. Found out, quite irritant, especially you have to little more than normal force to rotate the steering at high speed.

Sometimes, this sticky steering is not present, but most of the times it is present in speeds > 60kmph.

Any reason for the above behavior; i would like to know, before i show to my MASS.
navrddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 13:46   #355
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,164
Thanked: 10,260 Times
Default re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: Beyond 10 Years & 232,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
By the way, what's that yellow strip on the RHS headlamp? Any special purpose?
That yellow sticker was mandatory in the state of Gujarat (relaxed now). The WagonR had entered Gujarat on 3 occasions between 2011 and 2013. So that sticker remains as you never know, I might end up driving into Gujarat sometime again in the WagonR .

Quote:
Didn't you try to contact the truck driver and owner later?
No I didn't. I simply drove to the workshop and gave my car for repairs via claim. Didn't really bother to contact the truck owner mainly due to lack of interest in dealing with this whole thing and secondly because I knew the damage wasn't so much that I would have had to spend a huge sum from my pocket.

Let us just say - I am one of those who would not block a highway if someone broke my tail lamp - Happened twice when a Sumo & a Pulsar broke the right hand side tail lamp. I let it go after a quick talk with the biker while the Sumo cabbie simply escaped during one of the 2 instances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
Recently, i have observed that during highway runs, my steering feels sticky, almost like somebody put lot of glue into steering mechanism. But is not jammed. The above sticky steering behavior is only after >60 kmph. Found out, quite irritant, especially you have to little more than normal force to rotate the steering at high speed.

Sometimes, this sticky steering is not present, but most of the times it is present in speeds > 60kmph.
I would first check the Air pressure - maintain between 32-33psi and check if the issue persists.

Now let us one assess the other things one by one:

Does this happen when you are at dead stop?

Try to make Lock to Lock turns from Left-Right-Left when the engine is running and check if the operation is smooth. If not, then the possible culprit here would be components associated with the steering mechanism:
  1. Alignment:Check for improper alignment - This can actually make you feel that you are applying more effort to steer in one particular direction than the other even at highway speeds

  2. Ball Joints:Check for Steering Ball Joint ends

  3. Damper setting: Although I rule out that the steering Damper can tighten over a period of time, you may want to check if the Damper torque is adjusted as per specs

  4. Rack Grease:You may also want to get the steering boot opened and ask the ASC to grease the steering rack - In their words its called "Steering Rack Greasing"

After you ascertain the above, you may now want to check the health of the Power Steering Motor and its functioning:
  1. Grounding:Check for the ground cable running from Negative terminal of the battery and attached to the chassis/Body. If the cable has become hard or the contact point on the chassis has rusted, it is better to clean this and connect back of replace this whole cable altogether. A bad ground would result in Power steering functioning inconsistently

  2. Input Voltage:The power steering also functions based on the input voltage it receives based on the Torque applied onto the steering - You may want the ASC to check the reference voltage at the Power steering motor

  3. Try another motor:If they can, fix a known good Power steering motor and check if the issue is with the unit altogether

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th August 2015 at 13:47.
paragsachania is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 07:58   #356
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 95
Thanked: 40 Times
Default re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: Beyond 10 Years & 232,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
That yellow sticker was mandatory in the state of Gujarat (relaxed now). The WagonR had entered Gujarat on 3 occasions between 2011 and 2013. So that sticker remains as you never know, I might end up driving into Gujarat sometime again in the WagonR .

No I didn't. I simply drove to the workshop and gave my car for repairs via claim. Didn't really bother to contact the truck owner mainly due to lack of interest in dealing with this whole thing and secondly because I knew the damage wasn't so much that I would have had to spend a huge sum from my pocket.

Let us just say - I am one of those who would not block a highway if someone broke my tail lamp - Happened twice when a Sumo & a Pulsar broke the right hand side tail lamp. I let it go after a quick talk with the biker while the Sumo cabbie simply escaped during one of the 2 instances.


I would first check the Air pressure - maintain between 32-33psi and check if the issue persists.

Now let us one assess the other things one by one:

Does this happen when you are at dead stop?

Try to make Lock to Lock turns from Left-Right-Left when the engine is running and check if the operation is smooth. If not, then the possible culprit here would be components associated with the steering mechanism:
  1. Alignment:Check for improper alignment - This can actually make you feel that you are applying more effort to steer in one particular direction than the other even at highway speeds
  2. Ball Joints:Check for Steering Ball Joint ends
  3. Damper setting: Although I rule out that the steering Damper can tighten over a period of time, you may want to check if the Damper torque is adjusted as per specs
  4. Rack Grease:You may also want to get the steering boot opened and ask the ASC to grease the steering rack - In their words its called "Steering Rack Greasing"
After you ascertain the above, you may now want to check the health of the Power Steering Motor and its functioning:
  1. Grounding:Check for the ground cable running from Negative terminal of the battery and attached to the chassis/Body. If the cable has become hard or the contact point on the chassis has rusted, it is better to clean this and connect back of replace this whole cable altogether. A bad ground would result in Power steering functioning inconsistently
  2. Input Voltage:The power steering also functions based on the input voltage it receives based on the Torque applied onto the steering - You may want the ASC to check the reference voltage at the Power steering motor
  3. Try another motor:If they can, fix a known good Power steering motor and check if the issue is with the unit altogether
Thanks for the detailed explanation:
I usually maintain air-pressure of 33-34 psi (through my own Air-pressure analog gauge through coido), I never fill up air in petrol bunks. I use portable air-compressor.

But i was maintaining the air-pressure of 33-34 psi through last 3 years consistently, when this issue was not there.

Sticky steering only happens at speeds > 60 kmph, and not at dead stop.
There is no perceived stickyness at lesser vehicle speeds.

During vehicle standstill condition (Engine ON), steering normally turns from left to right. Stickyness is not present.

Wheel alignment/balancing/rotation done around 6000kms back.Car goes in straightline, when steering is kept straight.

I also, suspect that probably the reason of sticky steering at higher speeds maybe because of lack of greasing.

Nevertheless, i plan to visit MASS this weekend to look into this issue.
I will keep the post updated.
navrddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 15:19   #357
BHPian
 
Manoj2268's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 182
Thanked: 90 Times
Default re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: Beyond 10 Years & 232,000 kms

Hi everyone!

My wagonR's just had its 130k service completed. All fluids replaced. Shell engine oil and Gear oil. OEM coolant and brake flush done(DIY). It rained so I kinda postponed the vehicle detailing.

A friend dropped by and he gave me the fog lights for this car(minda make). He purchased the wrong item and the shopkeeper did not take it back. Are the foggies a direct fit or modifications to the wiring would have to be made? Mine's the Lxi model.
Manoj2268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 10:00   #358
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Thane
Posts: 89
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: Beyond 10 Years & 232,000 kms

Congrats Parag, for achieving the 2 lakhs + odometer reading and still counting.
I have purchased a used Wagon R, 2008, it has run about 50K kms.
Earlier owner had given it service at 46K Kms.
I have checked the wagon R manual, it says to change the below things after 50K Kms.
Engine Oil n Oil Filter.
Fuel Filter (leakage)
I don't know below had been changed or not.
Spark plugs
Manual transmission/transfer and differential oil
Brake fluid
Master cylinder and wheel cylinder
Iam planning to give it to the first service to MASS.
Should I tell them to check and replace it if necessary whatever given in the Inspection and Maintenance.
Anything else to change. Can you please help.
Thank You.
dsnaveen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 09:56   #359
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 492 Times
Default re: My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: Beyond 10 Years & 232,000 kms

@Paragsachania:-

I have a complaint to make!

Yesterday, I had the good fortune of seeing your Wagon-R for the first time. I was on my way back from work, and as usual there was bumper to bumper traffic at the MTP gate. As I always do, I was screening all the vehicles to see if there was anything of interest and I happened to spot a Wagon-R with a Ritz tachometer. I instinctively knew that it was the legend that I was looking at. I wanted to be doubly sure, so I searched for the T-bhp stickers and found the transparent one on the number plate. What confirmed that it was indeed the legendary Wagon-R, was the HVK sticker below the left side indicator. The vehicle looked much better than what I imagined it would look like. The paint had gloss, the seat covers were fitting so perfectly and highlight for me were the wide tyres. They, along-with the rims pushed the looks up a few notches.

I was overjoyed seeing the car in the flesh. Easily the most famous Wagon-R in India

Now to the complaint part. There was a lady driving the car, she was driving it very rough. There is a gutter when you exit the MTP gate, and one of the concrete slabs covering the gutter was broken. The maintenance guys had an iron grill covering the gutter at that place and that grill was also broken into two. All the other cars were avoiding that place and driving around it. The lady driving your car, looked like she was irritated after having driven through the bumper to bumper traffic, and rode roughshod over the iron grill and the grill came out and banged the car on its underside. Both the left front wheel and the left rear wheel went over the grill and the rear wheel almost skidded and fell into the gutter. I was following the car for a few meters, unable to believe how someone could treat this special a car so bad and then I noticed that one of the headlights was not working too. This was around 20:00 yesterday night

Felt very sad. Hope you don't mind what I have written, I was genuinely hurt and wanted to convey it to you

Last edited by TheARUN : 16th October 2015 at 10:01. Reason: Grammar
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 10:31   #360
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,164
Thanked: 10,260 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
@Paragsachania:-

I have a complaint to make!

Yesterday, I had the good fortune of seeing your Wagon-R for the first time. I was on my way back from work, and as usual there was bumper to bumper traffic at the MTP gate. As I always do, I was screening all the vehicles to see if there was anything of interest and I happened to spot a Wagon-R with a Ritz tachometer. I instinctively knew that it was the legend that I was looking at. I wanted to be doubly sure, so I searched for the T-bhp stickers and found the transparent one on the number plate. What confirmed that it was indeed the legendary Wagon-R, was the HVK sticker below the left side indicator. The vehicle looked much better than what I imagined it would look like. The paint had gloss, the seat covers were fitting so perfectly and highlight for me were the wide tyres. They, along-with the rims pushed the looks up a few notches.

I was overjoyed seeing the car in the flesh. Easily the most famous Wagon-R in India

Now to the complaint part. There was a lady driving the car, she was driving it very rough. There is a gutter when you exit the MTP gate, and one of the concrete slabs covering the gutter was broken. The maintenance guys had an iron grill covering the gutter at that place and that grill was also broken into two. All the other cars were avoiding that place and driving around it. The lady driving your car, looked like she was irritated after having driven through the bumper to bumper traffic, and rode roughshod over the iron grill and the grill came out and banged the car on its underside. Both the left front wheel and the left rear wheel went over the grill and the rear wheel almost skidded and fell into the gutter. I was following the car for a few meters, unable to believe how someone could treat this special a car so bad and then I noticed that one of the headlights was not working too. This was around 20:00 yesterday night

Felt very sad. Hope you don't mind what I have written, I was genuinely hurt and wanted to convey it to you
Hi Arun, as I type this, I am talking to the Lady who happens to be my boss at home(wife) and she partially acknowledges that this happened although she denies that anything hit the underbody. So here I am candidly responding to something that I feel I owe an answer ☺.

The low beam of the left hand side is not functional since 3 days now. However the high beam filaments work but then there are few lessons she's learnt from me on how not to drive on high beams. The functional parking lamps are good enough to indicate the opposite traffic that its a 4 wheeler.

If you also noticed, the high mount stop light at the rear also has just 2 bulbs functional and this is the first time in 225000 kms that this light has conked.

Rest assured, Both the Headlight and the High mount brake light will get the replacement at home over this weekend.

Apart from this, let me also tell you another instance - I was following the WagonR in my Ertiga when we went for a school admission on yesterday morning when I noticed that my better half was not making 90 degree turn properly. Back home in the evening, she was given a feedback on how it is wrong to make right handed turns that way.

In the end - I dont spare anyone when it comes to imparting good driving practices and every instance is good learning.

Apart from this, there are several good bits she's carried from my driving and realises the importance of it. Adjusting both ORVMs, How not to trouble the clucth(trust me, even the SA at the ASC mentioned the clutch was super healthy), Gradual acceleration and braking and more.

Thanks for highlighting this Arun but rest assured, she has learnt to drive from someone who practices safe and defensive driving and wouldn't care to take things to task even if its a family member doing it wrong. I am more than hopeful that she otherwise drives sedately as I have noticed. MTP now is a pain as I heard after the rear exit was recently closed and takes 1.5 hours against 30 minutes before. So I am imagining the frustration.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th October 2015 at 10:49.
paragsachania is online now   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suzuki Baleno it is! EDIT : Now beyond 150,000 kms wanderernomad Long-Term Ownership Reviews 127 21st August 2017 17:37
Which is better - A car which has driven 1 lac kms in 4 years or 35,000 in 6 years syravi Technical Stuff 41 7th May 2016 16:21
Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond AutoIndian Long-Term Ownership Reviews 355 23rd November 2015 15:33
Hyundai Verna CRDI - 100,000 Kms and Beyond vivekkr_99 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 46 21st October 2014 12:38
1.5 years & 15,000 kms in my first car, Maruti Wagon R San Phrangmung Long-Term Ownership Reviews 5 4th February 2011 19:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks