Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 8th April 2009, 00:04   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherishk View Post
My budget is max 4L. Which year Lancer I can get. 2003?
thats a decent budget for a used petrol lancer.Yes,you may very well get a 2003 or a later model,but avoid those slxi/sfxi trims with high mileage and look for glxi model with less mileage instead.And do check if an Invex is around for sale.
Old 8th April 2009, 00:15   #62
BHPian

That was the maximum budget I quoted. Getting frustrated as not finding too many options on sulekha and free ads. Any other places where I can search?
Old 8th April 2009, 00:22   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was the maximum budget I quoted. Getting frustrated as not finding too many options on sulekha and free ads. Any other places where I can search?
Try the classifieds section of the newspapers,these are good for starting with the hunt,on the web,mostly adds are posted by dealers,avoid them.
Also look for them in the used car outlets (by honda,maruti,mahindra).
It usually takes time searching for a good used car but lancers being a popular model you will land up with one probably soon.

Even I am looking for a used Karizma in a good condition,and so far I haven't got any good deal,its sort of a matter of luck as well, a guy i know recently bought a second hand pulsar220 for just 55000 bucks,the owner was migrating so he was in a hurry,the bike had done just 4500kms in a year.
So keep looking and have some patience.
Old 8th April 2009, 00:27   #64
BHPian

Sure will do that. Thanks for the advise.
Old 8th April 2009, 00:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure will do that. Thanks for the advise.
No problems,do keep me updated.BTW, haven't you considered a petra1.6? Its a fast car but low on fuel economy though,and it goes very cheap due to the fiat badge.
Old 9th April 2009, 00:49   #66
BHPian

@YC.BALENO.CHD

I have checked few Lancers around. One 2001 Glxi was quoted around 2.9L. What do you say. Haven't seen it though. Looking at the build quality now am more inclined towards Lancer. Do you have any idea on how the maintenance costs will look like for Lancer (<2004 models). Basically am looking at low on maintenance and fun to drive car. FE is not an issue
Old 9th April 2009, 02:57   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@YC.BALENO.CHD

I have checked few Lancers around. One 2001 Glxi was quoted around 2.9L. What do you say. Haven't seen it though. Looking at the build quality now am more inclined towards Lancer. Do you have any idea on how the maintenance costs will look like for Lancer (<2004 models). Basically am looking at low on maintenance and fun to drive car. FE is not an issue
2.9 lakhs for a 2001 lan-glxi is quite high,considering that its 8 years old and must had clocked upwards of 75k.Still check how much the car has run.Maintenance for petrol lancers is not high,its cheaper to maintain than accents and ikons,and as its an old car,even the local mechanics take good care of lancers.
Still,try getting the costs down,say by near about 50k. I have seen 2000-02 models of lancers with 80k on odo going for as less as 1 lakh at delhi,but they are usually in a bad shape and well maintained ones go for around 1.75-2 lakhs.
But since you are at bangalore there should be some difference in the costs.Still,2.9L is asking alot,not more than 2.5 lakhs for 2000-02 model.
I have a friend who deals in used cars at delhi,will let u know if its a good deal or not,even at bangalore.
But do check the car and let me know of its condition and other things.If possible get a pic or two as well.
And look for a petra/siena 1.6 tool,if FE doesnt bother you alot,as this fiat goes for rock bottom prices.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 9th April 2009 at 02:58. Reason: mistype
Old 9th April 2009, 12:23   #68
BHPian

Thanks man.

The car wasn't present at that time so no idea about how it looks and wear and tear. Will let you know once he gets back to me. I have given him 3 cars to search. Baleno, Lancer GLxi, Palio 1.6 GTX. Thinking of adding OHC vtec - not sure if i can get it though.

Will keep you posted for sure and thanks a ton
Old 10th April 2009, 13:01   #69
BHPian

Ok. It turned out that the car had done close to 60k kms and not the 32k kms as shown. The dealer said that he didn't know himself and that the meter might have malfunctioned. I found out after looking at the service records that the last service was at 54k. He gave me an option to either give back the car for a full refund (and some Rs extra for the bother) or said he will bear the service costs to make the small issues perfect.

I chose the latter, since without looking at service records, no one seemed to be able to make out that the car had done close to 60k. Turns out that the car was owned by a VP of an international bank, who serviced the car 17 times in the same MASS (they have 17 service bills), looked after the car perfectly, even minor issues were fixed at once, no accidents, was not afraid of spending to keep the car in perfect shape, etc so I gave it for service to MASS (the same dealer that handled the car earlier) they did a complete service, changed the clutch plate and all related components, replaced some parts in the suspension, oil, gear oil, filter, eng decarb, alignment/balancing, fixed left front door rattling, etc etc. Now the car feels GREAT. Engine noise is ZERO and the car is smooooooooooth. Bill came to Rs 18k.

I'll post some better pics of the car tomorrow. But mom seems a little uncomfortable with the car's size (she took it to office one day), we may sell the car and get an i10/Astar although this is not what I want. We have not registered it in her name yet so it is good in that sense. I wanted to use the Baleno on long drives instead of the Ikon TDCi as seating posture, ride, power, stability etc etc are MUCH better in the Baleno. But it makes no sense in having it if mom is not comfortable in it. Will decide in a few days.

I dont want to travel 85 km per day in a petrol car so we dont seem to have an option. :(

Spent MANY weekends searching for a good used Baleno for getting this, hmmmm.
Old 10th April 2009, 13:09   #70
BHPian

Odometers tampering is a common phenomena but since it had proper records I guess not a big issue. If you had been in Bangalore I would have bought it in case you wish to sell
Old 10th April 2009, 16:06   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Odometers tampering is a common phenomena but since it had proper records I guess not a big issue. If you had been in Bangalore I would have bought it in case you wish to sell
Confirmed. Will be posting the ad tonight.

Last edited by Proxima : 10th April 2009 at 16:09.
Old 10th April 2009, 23:08   #72
Senior - BHPian

@proxima

Are you sure you want to sell it? Why don't you let your mom use the car for few more days? Its just a matter of time that she will adapt to it.Its got tilt steering and height adjustments,its comfortable,for further ease you may get those parking sensors installed.After so much search u bought that car,loved it and now you are selling it without even really using it.

Regards
Old 11th April 2009, 01:27   #73
BHPian

I just wish you were staying in Bangalore. Amazing price too. Feeling sad for you.
Old 11th April 2009, 15:00   #74
BHPian

Please suggest soon.

I saw a May, 05 Baleno Lxi in good condition with these additions

electronic side mirror control,rear spoiler,sony mp3 player, leather upholstery, silver colour alloy wheels with good tyre, central locking wit autocop

It is second owned one and the owner is quoting 3.5L. Would like to know if the price is ideal and if not whats the ideal?

I thought it should be worth some 3L or max 3.25L. Please give us your opinions.
Old 12th April 2009, 01:17   #75
BHPian

Pay a max of about 2.9L for the car. Else take my car. lol just kidding

Wait and you will get a good one. Dont rush it. Unless youre in a hurry of course.

YC.BALENO.CHD - Ill try your suggestion.
Closed Thread