Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 30th March 2009, 15:43   #1
BHPian

Default Baleno Review. 4 years 9 months / 43K

I own this car since two years and i'm the single owner. Yes it's a 2007 model VXI and purchased it in March 2007.

I've crossed 20K and here is my thoughts.

Positives:
1. Awesome power. You can overtake almost anybody on highway and definitely all other cars in the same segment. Top speed i've achieved is around 185 KMPH. NO performance modifications done.
2. A/C is real Kewl.
3. Space is good. 4 people can sit comfortably and 5 people with little trouble.
4. Do not feel fatigue even after a very long drive. Maximum i drove this car 1620Km in 25 hours without any power nap. But couple of breaks for cig,tanking up etc. In this sense very reliable.
5. Automatic climate control ( in VXI model).

Negatives:
1. Ground clearance. Trust me if you think it might kiss the bottom in speed breakers(big one) it'll definitely, no matter how cautiously you drive.
2. Dashboard is dull
3. No safety (NO airbag, no ABS)
4. Fuel economy ( I usually gets 8.5-9 KMPL in city ride) and 12-13 on highways.
5. The head light is 55/60W and it's not good enough for night drive on highways. I've changed it to 95/100.

Conclusion:

With all these demerits still i luv this car and i've plan to keep it unless it says "Dude go for a new car. I'm going to die soon."
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 15:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post

Positives:
1. Awesome power. You can overtake almost anybody on highway and definitely all other cars in the same segment.
I can vouch for this one. It can give a safari a run for its money(highway).
All the very best for your future endeavours with this beast.
Hope to see a 40K Kms review soon!
Drive safe.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 16:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
4. Fuel economy ( I usually gets 8.5-9 KMPL in city ride) and 12-13 on highways.
5. The head light is 55/60W and it's not good enough for night drive on highways. I've changed it to 95/100.

Conclusion:

With all these demerits still i luv this car and i've plan to keep it unless it says "Dude go for a new car. I'm going to die soon."
FE - get it checked. I definately get a lot more than you get. mine is 50K. i get almost 14.(normal commute- 70% city and 30% highway)
headlight also put some relays and then user a higher wattage bulb.
madhukar_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 16:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
FE - get it checked. I definately get a lot more than you get. mine is 50K. i get almost 14.(normal commute- 70% city and 30% highway)
headlight also put some relays and then user a higher wattage bulb.
When i say 8.5 to 9 it's mostly on one of the Bangalore congested area where you mostly need to press clutch. But still on highway i get less. I'm an agressive driver and i usually like to drive on top speeds.

As i said i changed the bulb and obviously you need to put a relay to make that 95/100 W work here.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:51   #5
BHPian

i agree its a great driver's car and fun to drive on highways. I really have fun with my OHC dragging with balenos. Sometimes i win sometimes i loose. But i have respect for this car!
ashish22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Default Problems, any one?

@akas - I drove a friend's (second hand) Baleno Vxi at Bangalore a few months back. It was late night, and we were doing good speeds. The car felt lovely to drive. But 2 issues I felt during the drive were:

1) The car was running 165/80 tyres. While they cushioned the ride well, they gave me no confidence whatsoever while cornering hard at speed. My friend said this was the OEM size for all Balenos, except for a few later models which came with 185/60s and Alloys. Which size is your car running? In case its the 165s (and considering you admit to be an aggressive driver) dont you feel the same problem while cornering?

2) There were 4 people on board (2 of us and our wives). The car bottomed out twice on speedbreakers on 80ft road. According to my friend, this was a common occurence with the car when fully loaded. He was looking for replacement springs to increase the ride height. Do you face this problem too?
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 14:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

1) The car was running 165/80 tyres. While they cushioned the ride well, they gave me no confidence whatsoever while cornering hard at speed.
yeah totally agree with you.thats why i switched to 195 from day one.makes it a much more stable ride.

Quote:

2)The car bottomed out twice on speedbreakers on 80ft road.
thats typical of a baleno with full load.

rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 01:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
@akas - I drove a friend's (second hand) Baleno Vxi at Bangalore a few months back. It was late night, and we were doing good speeds. The car felt lovely to drive. But 2 issues I felt during the drive were:

1) The car was running 165/80 tyres. While they cushioned the ride well, they gave me no confidence whatsoever while cornering hard at speed. My friend said this was the OEM size for all Balenos, except for a few later models which came with 185/60s and Alloys. Which size is your car running? In case its the 165s (and considering you admit to be an aggressive driver) dont you feel the same problem while cornering?

2) There were 4 people on board (2 of us and our wives). The car bottomed out twice on speedbreakers on 80ft road. According to my friend, this was a common occurence with the car when fully loaded. He was looking for replacement springs to increase the ride height. Do you face this problem too?
Totally agree with you on both points.
1. Since my car is 2 years old i got alloy wheel with 185.
2. Yes it got low GC. so with full load speed breaker is an issue.
Old 4th April 2009, 04:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own this car since two years and i'm the single owner. Yes it's a 2007 model VXI and purchased it in March 2007.
Was it sold till march '07? I thought its production was stopped in jan'07.Anyways, so when was Baleno's production ceased?

MY review(at 25k kms)
Dad bought an Oct'06 Baleno Vxi (black) for my birthday.It was the bset buy then due to great discounts.Costed around 6.4 lakhs on road i guess.Ever since,i have loved the car,it never fails to impress me everytime i drive it.

Reasons i Love it
1)Awesome performance,it outdrags almost every new sedan from this segment,many of them with ease.
2)Handles very well.(My car came with 185/60 on alloy rims)
3)Terrific AC (with climate control).Yet to see such a great AC in any other car of upper C segment.
4)Good ride and space for for four people.
5)Well built for a Maruti,25k kms on,no squaks/rattles.
6)Great driving position.
7)AWESOME LOOKS!!! No,dont be surprised,a black baleno vxi with the stock spoiler,and matte silver stock alloy rims looks stunning,not just to me,even my friends who own NHCs,Esteems,Optras cant stop wondering about there surprising and sudden love for baleno's exterior.And yeah,mine has a webasto sunroof as well which adds to the appeal.
8)Good economy.14kmpl with AC in sparse traffic when driven with a light foot,Worst i have managed is 9kmpl during the drags and speed runs.
9)Great service from the local maruti service centre.
10)Excellent music system,for a stock unit.it has a kenwood FM/wma/mp3 player and the 4 puny stock speakers give good bass and quality sound.
11)Front handrest,that has a can storage,adds to the comfort in long journeys.
12)Cheap spares as compared to City/fiesta and the likes.

Things i dont like much:
1)Small door pockets which are almost useless
2)as pointed out by others,due to the low clearence,car bottoms out on some speedbreakers,but i dont mind it much considering the great dynamics.
3)No ABS-EBD,otherwise it would had made braking alot more confident.
4)Cheap looking dials,with exposed screws,reminds me of alto,even the odo is not digital,when even m800 sported one.!!
5)Grey floor carpets started wearing out as soon as 5k kms,look worn out now,wont last till 30k kms.
6)Rear visibility isnt great as the stock spoiler hampers it.

Thats it i think.
& this is one car I guess I wont ever part with.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2009, 14:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Was it sold till march '07? I thought its production was stopped in jan'07.Anyways, so when was Baleno's production ceased?

12)Cheap spares as compared to City/fiesta and the likes.
Yes it was bought in march and i guess i bought the last piece from dealer. My purchase price is more than 7 lakh though.

I do not agree with cheap spares. I had an accident with a honda city. Both of us had to replace Front head lights. Baleno's cost 11K and Honda city around 6K (Each car 1 head light)
Old 5th April 2009, 15:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it was bought in march and i guess i bought the last piece from dealer. My purchase price is more than 7 lakh though.

I do not agree with cheap spares. I had an accident with a honda city. Both of us had to replace Front head lights. Baleno's cost 11K and Honda city around 6K (Each car 1 head light)

More than 7 lakhs?

Which honda city are u talking about? OHC or NHC?
I recently replaced the right front fender,both the headlights,front bumper,and got rid of a dent on the hood ,although all of them could had been repaired/refurbished I thought it was better to get the parts replaced.I claimed the insurance,and the bill was a mere Rs.7500.All repairs from MASS.
Whereas,a person i know had to get the bumper,headlights and a fender replaced of his fiesta1.4 around the same time,and the bill after the insurance was around 11K bucks.
I am not sure about the NHC,but I guess each headlight costs near about 10k bucks.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 16:53   #12
BHPian

I replaced it around 2 years back and it was roughly 11K. I was talking about NHC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
More than 7 lakhs?

Which honda city are u talking about? OHC or NHC?
I recently replaced the right front fender,both the headlights,front bumper,and got rid of a dent on the hood ,although all of them could had been repaired/refurbished I thought it was better to get the parts replaced.I claimed the insurance,and the bill was a mere Rs.7500.All repairs from MASS.
Whereas,a person i know had to get the bumper,headlights and a fender replaced of his fiesta1.4 around the same time,and the bill after the insurance was around 11K bucks.
I am not sure about the NHC,but I guess each headlight costs near about 10k bucks.
Old 10th March 2011, 03:40   #13
BHPian

Default re: Baleno Review. 4 years 9 months / 43K

It's been around 2 years i last posted the car progress.
Now a lot changed in 2 years.
I had to go through this accident http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...cky-night.html (That unlucky night).

After the accident car was repaired and there are small issues related to interior in the car. But Major issue was Power Steering issue. Due to unawareness of Mandovi people Power steering gone kaput after 3 months of repair. They never admitted it's their fault.

I purchased a new power steering assemby, which costed around 50K. Power steering fixed on 3rd week of december. After accident i was not been to my native place, which is around 2 years. I was not getting train ticket and air fare were too high. So decided why not again do a long drive (1650 KM each way) with my family.

We started in the night to Orissa. Engine overheated after 600KM of driving, i remember i did not service it since last 10 months. Drove slowly and reached safely. Engine oil, coolant, brake oil changed. I had to change my rear left bearing as it was gone bad cost(6K). I had to also purchase 2 new tyres in cuttack and that guy quoted 4.1K for each Apollo Amazer 3G Max. I knew i would get Michelin in Bangalore in that price. However no other option and i had to buy that.

While returning from Orissa, i drove 1650 KM without stopping any where. Car did not show any trouble. However i felt car is little unstable at high speed, which is normal because of the accident it has been through.

Now odo reading is not much around 32K and i'm happy with the car performance.

This is how my car looks after repair.
I've no intention to sell this car.

MOD: Can you please change heading to 4 Years in stead of 2 Years
Attached Images

Last edited by akas_chauhan : 10th March 2011 at 03:41.
Old 28th December 2011, 13:29   #14
BHPian

Default re: Baleno Review. 4 years 9 months / 43K

It'll be 5 years in March and car has done 43+ K.
Last month did a 5k KM drive to orissa and back.
Replaced all tyres with Michelin 6 months before.
Replaced battery around a year before.
Before the trip, i've changed the front suspension which costs around 25K.
Trip was smooth and no fatigue as expected.

However driver side window is not working and i've to replace the entire motor.
Geting 10 KMPL in city and around 13 on highway.

've to take my car for general servicing this week and will fix the small rattling noise which is coming from dashboard.

I'm happy with the car performance. Availability of parts is not an issue, but it takes around 1-2 weeks to get the parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Baleno Review. 4 years 9 months / 43K-dsc02343.jpg  

Last edited by akas_chauhan : 28th December 2011 at 13:35.