Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 23rd April 2012, 01:53   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The car's a highway star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Some nice snaps those. The Verna looks great against all those unusal backdrops. You remind me of myself as I do the same thing of photographing my car against different background and locations during every long drive.
Thank you. Yes, its a common passion to get our beauties photographed against differing locations, as I can see from your own ownership thread .

The car is currently on 52K kms, and due to undertake its longest highway drive in June. Stay tuned.

PS - I forgot to add a weekend trip to Shankarpur (in early 2010) in my last post. That makes it no 7 on the list
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 11:07   #167
BHPian

Default Strange vibration in my Verna CRDI

For the past few months, when I am driving in the 2nd gear over speedbreakers or am in slow moving traffic, I experience a slight vibration (or a judder) in the steerring wheel & the clutch pedal as well. Sometimes this appears in the 1st gear as well. It also appears very faintly when I'm accelerating in the 3rd gear & I can feel the vibration through the accelerator pedal.

I think this problem may be due to a small incident where my wife drove onto a stone at the edge of the road & the front left rim was damaged beyond repair & the tyre had a side wall bulge. Replaced the rim immediately & the tyre after a few months. Experts, please advise if this vibration is due to this impact? What could be the source of these vibrations? Tie rod, sterring rack, suspension?

Another issue that I'm having is excessive black smoke when accelerating in the 2nd gear which wasn't there earlier. Last Novemeber, the Hyundai service folks recommended that I add some additive to the fuel tank which would apparently clean the fuel injectors. As far as I remember, it is after this that I have noticed the excessive smoke during acceleration.

Am giving the car for the regular 6 monthly service this Saturday, but has anybody else faced these issues? My car has done close to 36,000 kms in the last 4 years.
SantoshPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 09:51   #168
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Strange vibration in my Verna CRDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantoshPV View Post
For the past few months, when I am driving in the 2nd gear over speedbreakers or am in slow moving traffic, I experience a slight vibration (or a judder) in the steerring wheel & the clutch pedal as well. Sometimes this appears in the 1st gear as well. It also appears very faintly when I'm accelerating in the 3rd gear & I can feel the vibration through the accelerator pedal.

I think this problem may be due to a small incident where my wife drove onto a stone at the edge of the road & the front left rim was damaged beyond repair & the tyre had a side wall bulge. Replaced the rim immediately & the tyre after a few months. Experts, please advise if this vibration is due to this impact? What could be the source of these vibrations? Tie rod, sterring rack, suspension?

Another issue that I'm having is excessive black smoke when accelerating in the 2nd gear which wasn't there earlier. Last Novemeber, the Hyundai service folks recommended that I add some additive to the fuel tank which would apparently clean the fuel injectors. As far as I remember, it is after this that I have noticed the excessive smoke during acceleration.

Am giving the car for the regular 6 monthly service this Saturday, but has anybody else faced these issues? My car has done close to 36,000 kms in the last 4 years.
The vibration is probably due to some issue in the steering rack or transmission. Wheel alignment does not cause the kind of vibration that you mentioned.

As for the black smoke, just give the car for a service. From what I've seen in my car, one of your filters is dirty and a routine service (where they're replaced) will get rid of the smoke. My suggestion is also to avoid any kind of Engine additives in a CRDI engine. Their benefits, if any, are not certain. The damage they can do is a greater threat.

A few updates on Predator

1. The speedo currently reads 56,000 kms. This included a 1500km trip from Kolkata to Delhi, details of which can be found here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ata-delhi.html

2. The beautiful, top-grade Llumar sunfilms are off for good after reaching Delhi. Not only did these work to keep out the harsh Delhi sun, but they added to the look of the car. But the law is the law, and I'm not a politician's nephew!

3. The car now sports a MapmyIndia VX140 device. Bought it in Kolkata. Was of help over the NH2 trip, and is a lifesaver in Delhi - where it gives door-to-door guidance. A pic below:

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-_dsc6707.jpg
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 11:08   #169
Senior - BHPian

Default Update at 60000 kms

The fastest 10,000 kms, in just 6 months. Predator completes 60K kms.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-img2012091500006.jpg

The experience, for the first time, has not been hassle free, though as much the fault of the car as of the humans. Some salient notes:

1. The RHS driving light (small light beside the headlight) has gone kaput. Not a problem in the city as the driving light bulbs on the Verna are pathetic anyway. In the city, when you're not using headlights, the fog-lights save you.

2. The bass horn has stopped working and currently I'm on one horn. This is not the first time though. It has happened 2 previous times and Spring Hyundai has tuned it for free.

3. The Cigaretter Lighter socket went Kaput. Later discovered it was the fault of the MapmyIndia charger. Now using a Xenos cigarette lighter assembly and a local charger for the GPS.

4. Some idiot, trying to park my car in a private parking, knocked off the Left ORVM cowl. Still trying to source only the cowl and avoid the cost of replacing the complete assembly.

5. The Yoko A-drives are on 27K kms. What worries me is that the number of punctures have gone up ever since I've started commuting to Gurgaon. The pathetic state of roads in GG (especially in Monsoon) may be to blame. But condition of Kolkata roads (especially the current Eastern Byepass) was no less bad.

I had taken the car for servicing at 59K kms to Bosch Car Service Gurgaon, where I had a terrible experience. More details here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...competent.html (Total Car Solution (Bosch Car Service Gurgaon) - Very honest, but very incompetent)

Beside the above, Predator continues to be a mechanically sound, fast, reliable mode of transport. An considering its 4th birthday is just a week away, looking forward to another year of hassle free ownership.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 16th September 2012 at 11:09. Reason: Added info
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 23:21   #170
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Update at 60000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
5. The Yoko A-drives are on 27K kms. What worries me is that the number of punctures have gone up ever since I've started commuting to Gurgaon. The pathetic state of roads in GG (especially in Monsoon) may be to blame. But condition of Kolkata roads (especially the current Eastern Byepass) was no less bad..
I had a similar problem with Yoko A-drives. Atleast 16 punctures on 5 tyres over 30,000 km. They had to be ditched prematurely after one got a cut and the other developed a sidewall bulge (the cut was an accident). I have had a much happier ownership with Michelin XM1+. No punctures for 29,000 km and only 2 since.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 23:45   #171
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - Update at 4 years, 60,000 k

My Honda City ZX is also facing many punctures with the A Drives.

Thankfully no problems with the Corolla yet.
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 14:18   #172
BHPian

Default Re: My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - Update at 4 years, 60,000 k

hi,

Has anybody got issues with sticky dashboard on their Verna. The dashboard on my Verna has become sticky with some guey stuff coming off when I rub it with any detergent. I am certain it has to do with some dashboard polish used at dealerships. But the Service station guys are saying that it needs a repaint and will cost atleast 10K. Any advice to remove the stickiness in dashboard is welcome.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 11:46   #173
Senior - BHPian

65000 kms updates

1. Paid a visit to Safdarjung Hyundai (end Nov) after both horns stopped working. Both were declared irreparable, so changed both @ Rs 325 a piece. Also the RHS driving lights @ Rs 80.

2. In End Dec, the car met with a small accident. Had gone to Sec 56, Gurgaon to meet a relative. It was 8 PM with light fog. GPS directed me on to a narrow, unlit road. A huge concrete block on the side, STICKING OUT on the road, which I didn't notice. Hit it while taking a turn. The impact ripped the front bumper in 2, and cracked the radiator. Had to tow the car to the nearest HASS (Professional Hyundai, Sector 56).

The following things needed to be changed - Bumper, Radiator, Radiator Casing, Front LHS Wheel well guard. Total cost 23K, out of pocket 10K. Professional Hyundai did a good job, they also repaired a small problem I was having with the central locking module (for free). Though IMO keeping the car for a week is a tad long.

3. The OEM battery is on its last legs after 4.5 years, obviously aided by the Delhi winter. Don't drive it for a day, and it goes to sleep. Time to change.

This is quite a story. The old Verna came OEM with a 75 ampere DIN Exide Freedom Battery. Right now this model is discontinued, and the only 75 ampere battery in the market is the Exide Matrix which sells for 8400!! The saner choice is to go for some 65/70 ampere battery. A dealer nearby has offered to replace it with the 70 ampere Amaron which comes for the Innova. Will require a little modification to fit in the Verna battery slot. Suggestions from existing Verna owners welcome.

4. The A-Drives are on 32K kms, and I'm impressed with the grip they offer and the amount of tread left. But SIXTEEN punctures in the last 9 months is not funny. This is the sole reason I've decided to switch to some other make in the next tyre change.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 15:05   #174
BHPian

Quote:
65000 kms updates

The OEM battery is on its last legs after 4.5 years, obviously aided by the Delhi winter. Don't drive it for a day, and it goes to sleep. Time to change.

This is quite a story. The old Verna came OEM with a 75 ampere DIN Exide Freedom Battery. Right now this model is discontinued, and the only 75 ampere battery in the market is the Exide Matrix which sells for 8400!! The saner choice is to go for some 65/70 ampere battery. A dealer nearby has offered to replace it with the 70 ampere Amaron which comes for the Innova. Will require a little modification to fit in the Verna battery slot. Suggestions from existing Verna owners welcome.

The A-Drives are on 32K kms, and I'm impressed with the grip they offer and the amount of tread left. But SIXTEEN punctures in the last 9 months is not funny. This is the sole reason I've decided to switch to some other make in the next tyre change.
You seem to have hit a very rough spot with your car after shifting to Delhi it seems. 16 punctures in 9 months is seriously no joke what with the additional cost of getting those repaired. It seriously dents both our time and money. Do upgrade to better tyres seriously next time. Michelin XM2 or MRF Z.L.O. Heard good things about those tyres from a friend of mine who has fitted them on his Swift. Has the ORVM cowl been sourced or you got the mirror units replaced and what was the dent to your pocket. And keeping the car for 1week might be long if the insurance approval had come in earlier otherwise hyundai has kept my friends eon for accident repair for 6days at Mukesh Hyundai itself. Incidentally this is my first post on your thread.

Subhra.
tacho9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 08:41   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
You seem to have hit a very rough spot with your car after shifting to Delhi it seems.
Not really, the car is just getting old. You did ask a lot of questions in one paragraph. Let me answer them.

Quote:
16 punctures in 9 months is seriously no joke what with the additional cost of getting those repaired. It seriously dents both our time and money. Do upgrade to better tyres seriously next time. Michelin XM2 or MRF Z.L.O. Heard good things about those tyres from a friend of mine who has fitted them on his Swift.
As I said earlier, the A-Drives have exceeded my expectations in every other count. But yes, I am considering upgrading to ZLOs next time. I hear good things about them from existing users. And the tread looks pretty good too.

Quote:
Has the ORVM cowl been sourced or you got the mirror units replaced and what was the dent to your pocket.
Couldn't find the cowl anywhere. Am not paying 4K to get the mirror unit changed for just a plastic cowl, so until I find one the ORVM stays naked.

Quote:
And keeping the car for 1week might be long if the insurance approval had come in earlier otherwise hyundai has kept my friends eon for accident repair for 6days at Mukesh Hyundai itself.
The insurance approval took 2 days. Even then, replacing the bumper, radiator (assembly incl) and LHS wheel guard took 5 days.

Quote:
Incidentally this is my first post on your thread.

Subhra.
I know. Thank you.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 10:44   #176
BHPian

Thank you predatorwheelz. You made my day. If you change over to ZLO then do post in a nice review on them. You can scout the scrap market of Delhi for a replacement cowl cover. Just might come across one cowl there for your predator. And what age are you talking about?? My 800 is running it's 13th year and still hale and hearty mechanically although has taken up a lot of beating courtesy kolkata traffic as you will know. And my maternal uncle just recently got a used verna for himself and the car has been performing flawlessly. Yours is 7765. His is 7707. So it's almost about same age as yours but still running flawlessly at 70000kms. If I may be allowed to say please do try and atleast for once take your car to a good and reputed HASS even if it's a bit more distance from your residence or office like the HMP on Mathura road. Should be diagnosed and rectified properly. Just for the heck of it give it a try atleast once if possible. As always. Drive safe

Subhra.
tacho9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 09:25   #177
BHPian

Predatorwheelz, good to see your dedication for Predator. As in sticking by it through its ups and downs. And I'm sure it repays its master well.

Yoko's are seriously puncture friendly tyres, so the decision to go for ZLO's is good.
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 12:13   #178
BHPian

Quote:
65000 kms updates

3. The OEM battery is on its last legs after 4.5 years, obviously aided by the Delhi winter. Don't drive it for a day, and it goes to sleep. Time to change.

That's not true, these are the tricks guys opt to sell whatever they have. As per specifications these are 68 amp battery. The model says 75D23L something, it does not mean this is 75 amp battery. if you refer to owners manual you can see its 68 amp.

now coming to buying a new battery : only exide make this battery 68 amp and its extremely difficult to find one. I also had to change battery on my verna crdi, the stock one lasted for 6 years. After doing lot of research I found one 68 amp battery which is SF Sonic. SF stands for standard furkawa and is owned by exide now, even the service centres are same. I did not want to deviate from 68 amp as its going to impact your electrical system in future for sure. SF Sonic and Exide Matrix were both available at almost same cost and same guarantee period. In total I paid 5500 to get new one, the dealer also took old battery. If you need more details please feel free to reach me.
veyron-w16 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 18:16   #179
Senior - BHPian

Default Tenth Service update

The winter went away and the back came the need for air-conditioning. I realized then that the AC needs a serious lookup. It was taking ages to cool the cabin (even in pleasant sun) and there was hardly any air-pressure from the vents. Even leaving the fan at the highest speed resulted in more noise than pressure. The AC had been subjected to a Level 1 servicing at 50K kms (just a year back) but this was more serious, if I had to survive the impending Delhi summers.

There was a rattling noise coming from the front suspension for the last 2 months. From reading other ownership reviews I knew this was from worn-out ball-joints. Anyway the suspension had never given me any trouble till now. The brakes had not been serviced since 42K kms.

When I floored the car above 2000 rpm, there was a sudden rush of black smoke from the exhaust. Had to do with a faulty EGR valve.

So when the car went for its 10th service, I instructed Safdarjung Hyundai to go through the following:

1. Regular service
2. AC level 4 checkup
3. Suspension checkup
4. Brakes

10th service - 68000 kms

The total bill came to Rs 17,897 - which can be broken down as follows:

1. Regular Service costed 5226. This includes a whopping 1170 as labour, remaining being cost of oil and the 3 regular (oil, air and fuel) filters. They also cleaned the EGR valve for free.

2. Suspension checkup yielded that both ball-joints needed changing, costing 1604. Dunno why they didn't charge me for labour. Dunno why they insisted that the tie-rod was fine and didn't need changing either.

3. Brakes were apparently fine. Just the mysterious product called "caliper guide rod" (which has figured in 5 of my last 10 service sheets and costs Rs148) made its repeat appearance. They charged me Rs 1190 for labour too.

4. AC was the winner with Rs 7114. This includes a painful Rs 2670 as labour for Level 4 service, Rs 2379 for replacing the cooling coil assembly (after it came out it looked like something from hell - pic below), Rs 1010 for the discharge hose (pic below) and the remaining for refrigerant and compressor oil.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-img2013033100084.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-img2013033100085.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-img2013033100081.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-img2013033100083.jpg

Inference - I'm really happy with the work done. The AC is as good as it was when the car was new. Cools the cabin in 5 mins, and just 4 notches on the dial is enough to ensure air-pressure. The rattling noise from the front suspension is completely gone, so is the whiff of black smoke on sudden pickup. Its very satisfactory when your checklist of issues is attended to completely.

On the minus side, paying Rs 5K as labour for mundane mechanical work (that too replacement, not repair) is painful. A good mechanic in an FNG would have charged me one-third for his time. As SS-Traveller points out, he would also have cleaned out the cooling coil instead of replacing it. I guess the peace-of-mind factor that HASS has always given me (especially after the Bosch experience) won the day.

Mid-Life Crisis

So Predator roars into its mid-life, approaching 70K. Some gifts planned in the coming year:

1. Battery, first and foremost. The bugger has started behaving after the winters went away, so much that even after coming back from a 5 day vacation it started on first crank. However, the clock ticks and a new battery (taking inputs from veyron-W16's very helpful post) is on the cards.

2. A detailing job. - NOS Power spoilt me with the detailing & paint correction job he performed last year (details here)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...ml#post2794199 (Premium Auto Detailing (Kolkata))

Now I'm a sucker for good detailing, and looking around for good places in NCR. Steam and shine (http://steamandshine.in/) seems a good choice. Alternative suggestions welcome.

3. Tyres - I'm certain that my existing Yoko A-Drives have access to tbhp. They must have read my last post (ranting about punctures) and decided to up their act. Which is why I've not had a single puncture in the last 2 months! However, on a serious note they've done 35K kms and I do plan to change them in another 5-10K kms.

4, ICE - I've been guilty, very guilty. 2 years ago I planned a super-SQ install, even bought used coaxials as a start. Then I sat on the plan and did nothing. Fikar not! The passion has been reignited, and acquiring is on at full-steam. The install will happen soon and you will read about it. For now, some teaser pics:

Tadaaaaaa!

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-teaser1.jpg

And drrrrrr (Drumrolls)!

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-teaser2.jpg
predatorwheelz is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 17:33   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tenth Service update

Quote:
A good mechanic in an FNG would have charged me one-third for his time. As SS-Traveller points out, he would also have cleaned out the cooling coil instead of replacing it. I guess the peace-of-mind factor that HASS has always given me (especially after the Bosch experience) won the day.
Take a look at this post, and compare with your own cooling coil:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The preparation:
First, the AC. Full service done, including opening & cleaning the condenser and cooling coil. Radiator also cleaned, with new coolant put in. I was taking no chances, and I'm glad I didn't.

It was 43.5*C yesterday, and the cabin is like Shimla in November now, when driving for 15 minutes with the AC full on.
My regular AC guy can be found here (Car Air-conditioning - Cooldays Car AC (Lajpat Nagar-I, New Delhi)).
Quote:
Now I'm a sucker for good detailing, and looking around for good places in NCR. Steam and shine (http://steamandshine.in/) seems a good choice. Alternative suggestions welcome.
Try him (Car Detailing at Your Doorstep : Kajal Car Dry-Cleaner (Delhi)).
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote