Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2015, 22:19   #241
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,653
Thanked: 1,103 Times
Default 105K kms -14th Service Update

14th Service

The 14th service of the car happened in June 2015, at 105K kms. It was 9 months since the last service, in which the car only ran about 8K kms. The reduced usage happened due to the presence of Argento, my Elite i20 CRDI, which was being used as the primary car. Both in the daily office hike and 3 outstation trips.

The Verna owner's manual mentions that the grade used should be CH or higher, and over the course of ownership I've stuck to that specification. My favourite oils were Mobil Delvac MX and Shell Helix HX6. This time I was taken aback, as Delhi seems totally devoid of CH (or higher) grade engine oil. First, my regular spare stores (at Dwarka, Sheikh Sarai and Alaknanda) all told me they had stopped stocking SHX6 and MDMX. Everywhere I looked was the trash called Castrol Magnatec Diesel. Some enlightened ones were keeping their CF grade equivalents, viz SHX5 and MD Super 1300. Then one day SST and I set out to find CH grade engine oil with a "Karenge ya Marenge" attitude. After a lot of searching, one shop in VK showed us this.

(Image from company website)

Name:  Gulf Max TD.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  54.5 KB

I was relieved to find something that read something else other than CF. Gulf being a reputed company, I picked up 5 litres. One 4L and one 1L can. Other than the engine oil, the air filter and oil filter were changed.

AC Servicing

In my 1L km post in November 2014, I had mentioned "In everyday driving, there is a funny, very low whistling noise which I detected coming from the AC blower. Goes off when I switch off the AC fan. I have no idea what is causing this, will have to get the AC checked before next summer".

The AC had turned into a huge irritant, with the noise growing and cooling considerably reduced. Once in June (I was driving from CP to Dwarka) when the cooling completely went off. The car turned into a moving sauna for the next 10 minutes, before the AC mercifully came back on again.

So after considerable deliberation, took the car to Cooldays AC car service in Lajpat Nagar. They informed me that one of the pipes had leaked, and the AC system would need an overall service. 4 hours and 2300 rupees later, the AC was back to full strength.

That's the report for now folks. With 2 diesel cars in the family, Predator is seeing relatively less usage. Not something that can't be cured with a longish highway drive . Ciao!
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2015, 00:42   #242
BHPian
 
Added_flavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 614
Thanked: 735 Times
Default Re: My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15

Are you sure HX5 is a CF grade oil?

As per their website, Shell helix HX5 diesel 15W40 is a CH4 oil Sir and not CF. For some reason, shell has stopped HX6 now and it's only HX5 that's available. I'm using it in my Verna and very happy with it.

http://www.shell.in/products-services/on-the-road/consumer-lubricants-tpkg/cars/helix-range/helix-mineral/hx5-diesel-ch-4-15w40.html
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2015, 01:54   #243
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,628
Thanked: 10,859 Times
Default Re: My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Are you sure HX5 is a CF grade oil?

As per their website, Shell helix HX5 diesel 15W40 is a CH4 oil Sir and not CF. For some reason, shell has stopped HX6 now and it's only HX5 that's available. I'm using it in my Verna and very happy with it.

http://www.shell.in/products-service...h-4-15w40.html
Interesting.

The cans we found were all CF grade. New stock has probably been upgraded.

Yours is the Shell India website. Their global website still lists it as a CF grade. Special treatment for oils sold by them in India? Wonder why.
http://www.shell.com/global/products...-cf-15w40.html

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-hx5.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2015, 11:00   #244
BHPian
 
Added_flavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 614
Thanked: 735 Times
Default Re: My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Interesting.

The cans we found were all CF grade. New stock has probably been upgraded.

Yours is the Shell India website. Their global website still lists it as a CF grade. Special treatment for oils sold by them in India? Wonder why.
Even I noticed their global site after posting the link to the Indian site.

But I'm sure I have checked on the can and it was CH4. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the can right now. But this is weird.
Added_flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 04:26   #245
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 180
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15

You were spotted at rougly 1600 hours on Sunday. Outer Ring Road, around Chirag Dilli fyover heading towards Savitri. I was in a self drive rental Duster, while my Verna is out of action.
barcode is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 14:44   #246
BHPian
 
Added_flavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 614
Thanked: 735 Times
Default Re: 105K kms -14th Service Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
14th Service
Quoting you to get your attention on a small query I have. Please help!

My Verna CRDI is touching 90k now and is running as good as ever. However, over the past few months, I have noticed an increase in vibrations, more pronounced after 5k kms after service (engine oil change). However, the engine does not sound coarse/rough up to 7 - 9k depending on city vs highway usage b/w services.

I have found a couple of patterns in vibrations and rattles and tried to explain below.

1. Rolling on from 1100 RPM (Not lugging the engine) in 3rd gear upto 1500 RPM with AC ON. --> Extreme vibrations/rattles from the dashboard area.

2. Rolling on from 1100 RPM (Not lugging the engine) in 3rd gear upto 1500 RPM with AC OFF. --> Much lesser (very minimal) vibrations/rattles from the dashboard area.

Above 1500 RPM in both the above scenarios, there are no vibes at all and the going is smooth and silent. The same applies to rolling on in 4th and 5th gears too below 1500 RPM.

Now, I am unable to point to the issue. However this is what I am inclined to think.

1. Aged/Weak engine mounts: Can this be the reason? The Verna does have some floor and door pad vibrations at idle. So I am unable to gauge if the vibes have increased in general or if it's the default behavior. I do feel the NVH levels have increased more than before. So it might be time to change the mounts, but will it solve the issue?

2. Some issue with AC/Compressor: Please note that I have never refilled AC gas till now in the 7 years of ownership (Is that unusual?). However, there is no noticeable reduction in the AC performance and the cabin is cooled quite well. There's no foul smell either.

So is the AC/Compressor the reason for vibrations/rattles as mentioned in the scenario 1?

Advice welcome!
Added_flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 20:48   #247
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,653
Thanked: 1,103 Times
Default Re: 105K kms -14th Service Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Aged/Weak engine mounts: Can this be the reason?
Absolutely! The symptoms you mentioned are typical of the hydraulic mount (only, not mounts) going bust. It has happened in my car and a friend's car at just over 1 lakh kms each. Get the hydraulic mount changed, the vibrations will disappear.

Also, get the AC serviced. My car has seen an AC service twice in its life, both in Delhi. Better get the coil cleaned and the gas checked/refilled once.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 12:31   #248
BHPian
 
Added_flavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 614
Thanked: 735 Times
Default Re: 105K kms -14th Service Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Absolutely! The symptoms you mentioned are typical of the hydraulic mount (only, not mounts) going bust. It has happened in my car and a friend's car at just over 1 lakh kms each. Get the hydraulic mount changed, the vibrations will disappear.
Thanks for the response Sir. Tried to search your thread for the hydraulic mount replacement post, but couldn't find it.

Pardon my ignorance, but when I checked the 99RPM website, I see three main parts - Front mount, side mount and engine support, priced around 6-8k each. Which of these are you referring to when you say hydraulic mount? I'm skeptical that the HASS guys will rip me off by replacing all 3 when its not required.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 9th September 2016 at 12:33.
Added_flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 08:23   #249
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,653
Thanked: 1,103 Times
Default Re: 105K kms -14th Service Update

Sorry for the late reply, was away on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Tried to search your thread for the hydraulic mount replacement post, but couldn't find it.
That's because its not posted yet. A big and comprehensive Year 8 update is coming .


Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
I see three main parts - Front mount, side mount and engine support, priced around 6-8k each. Which of these are you referring to when you say hydraulic mount?
I'm referring to the engine support mount.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai Verna CRDI - 100,000 Kms and Beyond vivekkr_99 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 46 21st October 2014 12:38
Predator gets some SQ ICE: Hyundai Verna Install predatorwheelz In-Car Entertainment 17 12th August 2013 15:38
White Rocket - Verna CRDi Base w/o ABS - Update - Sold after 1 lakh + Kms vkochar Long-Term Ownership Reviews 167 18th May 2013 12:47
Hyundai Verna CRDI ABS -80,000 kms report (Is it worth the Hype) pjegadeesh Long-Term Ownership Reviews 36 10th August 2010 14:15
Hyundai Verna CRDi SX/ABS update.. 15000 kms Sep 2008 amitwadhwa Long-Term Ownership Reviews 5 27th July 2009 15:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks