Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 6th April 2009, 21:49   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
DAMN!!!!
After the initial full tank on my i10 AT kappa after buying it, i just did another full tank at 137 kms (in one week). Guess how much petrol went in? 23 liters!!!

My tyres are upgraded to 185/60/14. Tyre pressure is 28 (recommended by the tyre guy) and the i10 manual says to maintain 32. Even that shouldn't make so much of a difference IMO.
What could be happening?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Any other Kappa AT owners here in Tbhp? Would like to know their feedback.

Our Magna AT runs on stock size Michelin, but I don't think the tire (or tire upsize) is the issue. Tejas' tire upgrade works out to roughly the same tire diameter.

Intially we used to get 8.5kmpl but it now closer to 10kmpl with a/c on most times. Vaguely remember the first full tank returned abysmal numbers.
Old 6th April 2009, 22:07   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
But I thought of throwing in some thing to ponder about!
I was going through exactly what you are going through some 3 months ago.
I had selected the i10 1.2 Magna costing about 4.43 lacs.

I then checked out the Indica Vista TDI aqua which costs 4.57 and has almost same features as i10 magna except rear power windows but then it has fog lamps.
Infact we did ponder over Vista Quadrajet, and even Swift LDI was in the game. But we decided against Vista because of it's niggling quality problems. We would keep this car for 5 years atleast and we want it to feel well built and irritant free even couple of years down the line. Vista might be a lot more better car than the old Indica, but Tata has yet to prove the build quality over the old Indica. Even considered Swift LDI but it lacked in features and equipment, not even power windows are std. So fianlly chose a car with - decent fuel efficiency, good build quality, powerful engine, has all the necessary std equipments, with decent rear seat and acceptable boot space.

If i was choosing a personal car for me in this price range, i would've gone for the A Star Zxi, it has everything including safety features, decent performance, quirky looks, and have all the boot space i need.. to dump a sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenM View Post
Intially we used to get 8.5kmpl but it now closer to 10kmpl with a/c on most times. Vaguely remember the first full tank returned abysmal numbers.
Hmm... this a approx 3km difference from the lowest Kappa MT fuel efficiency reported yet. But the convenience is priceless.

Last edited by Sankar : 6th April 2009 at 22:09.
Old 7th April 2009, 02:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for going a bit off topic,but IMHO an a-star should be only compared to an i10 irde,while the i10 kappa indirectly competes with the bigger hatches like swift.

Coming to fuel consumotion,without a doubt,A-star has an upper hand to both i10 irde and kappa variant.My relative is getting around 17.5kmpl with ac in chandigarh's mild traffic,and he is fond of high revin'.

By the way,no offence to anyone,but if at all i ever buy a i10 kappa,first thing i will do is to get rid of 'kappa' badging,it spells into such a ridiculous thing,can i get a kappa coffee please?
Old 7th April 2009, 08:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
@jango - thats a great mileage that your kappa is returning. Is it city drivving in Bangalore or kottayam?

My i10 kappa has never given me more than 13 in Bangalore city driving with 50% ac and I have already done 11k kms.
@ NFS 14.5 ( city driving ) is what i get in kottayam. In Bangalore the mileage will surely drop and am sure of that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Kappa definitely has lesser milage compare to iRDE.
100% AC on, & in a stop go city traffic, kappa will give around 12 KMPL (to be practical).

As Mpower says, 1.1 is better than kappa in city driving (also give more FE & less costly). So, IMO for city driving 1.1iRDE is the way to go.
@ Loving i completely agree with you here. HMIL claims of kappa returning more mileage than the IRDE is completely wrong and i don't quiet agree with them.. As for performance KAPPA rules !!
Old 7th April 2009, 11:17   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenM View Post
Our Magna AT runs on stock size Michelin, but I don't think the tire (or tire upsize) is the issue. Tejas' tire upgrade works out to roughly the same tire diameter.

Thanks praveen. Gives me a little hope. Called the dealer. They said for the first two full tanks, the average will be low. They couldn't give an explanation why. Anyways, the service guy is coming to check the car tomorrow.
Old 8th April 2009, 12:57   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Thanks praveen. Gives me a little hope. Called the dealer. They said for the first two full tanks, the average will be low. They couldn't give an explanation why. Anyways, the service guy is coming to check the car tomorrow.
Tejas, if it is any reassurance, my friends Kappa AT gave him 7.5 to 8.5 Kmpls in first few tank fulls (average), he now gets 10 Kmpl on same drive and traffic that my 1.2 non AT kappa gives 12.5.
Old 10th April 2009, 23:50   #37
BHPian

Default i-10 IRDE Era or Kappa Magna for city drive ?

Hi Friends,

Have decided on the i-10 after more than a week of pondering over Wagon-R Vxi's, Santro GLE's, Getz 1.1's and Palio Stile 1.1 SLX's. I was almost decided on the i-10 IRDE (Era) when a friend dropped by and managed to get the Kappa Magna into the picture as well. So need your help on deciding between the 2 i-10's - the Era 1.1 or the Magna 1.2

My usage is as below :

a) 99% city driving (an occasional drive down to the track at Sriperumbudur to watch friends in action)

b) Cover about 500kms a month...600 at the most

c) Self driven. Its mostly just me in the car....wife and kid on weekends. An occasional guest or two at the most.

d) Am usually a smooth driver but cant resist an occasional zip away from the traffic light. So need a car that can accelerate quite well (0-60). Top end is not too relevant for me. Fuel efficiency, however, definetely is.

e) Have planned on alloys & tyre upsize immediately once the car is delivered. Am aware that i'll lose 1 kmpl with this. Am looking at an average of at least 13 kmpl after tyre upsize.

f) Am planning to keep the car for a minimum of 3-4 years

Was going through the buyer's guide of the latest Overdrive and was zapped to find that the 0-100 figures of the i-10 1.1 is given as 15.3 secs as compared to 16.6 secs for the Kappa. Isnt this a typo ?

The cost difference between an IRDE (Era) and Kappa (Magna) is about 30k. The IRDE Era fits sungly into my budget while I'll have to stretch by 30k for the Kappa Magna. Someone even suggested that the resale values of the 1.1's have plummetted after the launch of the Kappa's. Could this be true ?

Given my usage & requirements which of the 2 would you suggest ? Let the opinions flow
Old 5th August 2009, 11:24   #38
BHPian

Hi guys,
most of the posts I've read, people say that mileage increase after 1st service which I've also experienced with my previous cars.
I just got myself i10 kappa sportz, according to the maintenance schedule, in 1st service, it would be only checked up and washed. So will only this and run-in would ensure that my car's mileage would increase ?

And since this car is not used very much and the 2nd service is at 10k, so it would easily take another 1 year or more to reach 10k, so I really don't want to run the same engine oil for so long. I was thinking of putting in fresh engine oil @ 5k. Am I planning it right ? Experts please guide me.
Old 6th August 2009, 12:42   #39
Team-BHP Support

OT: At what revvs all you i10 Kappa ( Non-AT) owners change your gears? I do it between 2.5K-3K rpm and never got beyond 11kmpl
Old 6th August 2009, 12:57   #40
Senior - BHPian

Getting 12KMPL regularly for past 3 months of ownership (1.2 Kappa Sportz). Once I did manage 13 (AC is ON all the time) but my feeling is mileage has slightly come down after the first service!!! (Maybe the culprit is me only as earlier I was driving within 50-60 KMPH but after first service have taken her upto 110!)
Old 6th August 2009, 14:27   #41
BHPian

NOBODY has any opinion about my question ?
Old 6th August 2009, 15:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
NOBODY has any opinion about my question ?
The service intervals are not only related to mileage. Please read the manual carefully. i10 service intervals are 2 months or 1500 km, 6 months or 5k km and 12 months or 10 k km, whichever is EARLIER. I may be wrong on the kms, but time wise I am fairly certain.

They always check the engine settings on the scanner, so you need not worry. Engine oil will be changed at 2nd service which is 5k km or 6 months, then can be changed alternate 6 monthly services, if you do not rack up kms.
Old 6th August 2009, 16:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

Addendum: I should not have said do not worry. Even in this day and age of computers and plug and play parts, our great fellows always tend to get things wrong. Whether it is Honda, Hyndai, Maruti, etc. I have never got any consistent settings. Generally Honda is least inconsistent, if it is any consolation.
Old 6th August 2009, 16:11   #44
BHPian

sandeep

I remember very well that 2nd service is quoted at 10k and 3rd at 20k. I have seen Maruti & hondas printing 10k or 1 year ( whatever is earlier) But in i10's manual, nothing is written about the time but only mileage. But since I'm in office right now , so I cant reconfirm that right now.

Adding to it, in the manual they have categorized some severe conditions for the vehicle, like driving in hot conditions, frequent short trips etc etc. The category in which I fall, i.e., bumper to bumper hot traffic, I'm supposed to be changing engine oil every 5k kms, which made me say that I would change my engine oil after 5k. But my prime question is still unanswered that, will my fuel efficiency increase after 1st service ? Because they are simply inspecting and only cleaning my vehicle in the 1st service.

PS : I haven't performed the tank to tank test,but roughly I'm getting 9 kmpl which might be having errors. I change gear at 2.5 to 3.5k rpm and 1st service is due. Will update once I perform tankful to tankful test.

Last edited by inferno : 6th August 2009 at 16:21.
Old 7th August 2009, 13:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Sandeep is right. The service intervals (very clearly mentioned in the booklet) are -
2 months / 1500 KM 1st service
6 months / 5000 KM 2nd service
12 months / 10000 KM 3rd service

And they did only cleaning in the first service!!! No oil change or anything like that. I dont think they did anything to have any effect on mileage. And I really didnt notice any mileage increase (it has, in fact, gone slightly down as now I am driving faster as prior to first service I never went past 60).

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
sandeep

I remember very well that 2nd service is quoted at 10k and 3rd at 20k. I have seen Maruti & hondas printing 10k or 1 year ( whatever is earlier) But in i10's manual, nothing is written about the time but only mileage. But since I'm in office right now , so I cant reconfirm that right now.

Adding to it, in the manual they have categorized some severe conditions for the vehicle, like driving in hot conditions, frequent short trips etc etc. The category in which I fall, i.e., bumper to bumper hot traffic, I'm supposed to be changing engine oil every 5k kms, which made me say that I would change my engine oil after 5k. But my prime question is still unanswered that, will my fuel efficiency increase after 1st service ? Because they are simply inspecting and only cleaning my vehicle in the 1st service.

PS : I haven't performed the tank to tank test,but roughly I'm getting 9 kmpl which might be having errors. I change gear at 2.5 to 3.5k rpm and 1st service is due. Will update once I perform tankful to tankful test.
Closed Thread