Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 7th September 2010, 13:45   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Some other bits of news:

Have seen 3 multijet engines opened up already. First one, due to no service for 20000 km or so. Second one, premium fuel from day one (Bubby has been doing the same, and his car is Peted as well). Third one, manufacturing defect(?). Average cost of engine work (injectors, common rail, etc etc) seems to be around Rs 1.5 lakhs. This information is entirely dealer provided, no proof of authenticity, though.

This bit is a bit scary. Like you, personally I am looking at around 150,000 to 2,50,000 kms. I dont think the Swift DDiS is prone to engine repairs so early, going by forum info. Your opinions please.

My SDX am at currently at 59000kms, nearing 2 years on the Sep 18th. So it scares me. (I know, I havent put up a seperate review on both my 1.6 Sport or SDX, which is bad! - Will try to put up a brief summary at least.)

Cheers
Jagan.
jagan0677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 14:03   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

I've seen a similar swift getting an almost costly open heart surgery due to no TLC at all for some 40k km, but have seen only a verna engine last longer with no TLC - some 50k km
phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 14:12   #213
BHPian

Question

Thats a very nice thread ! Now, since this thread has the attention of so many Palio Stile MJD owners, may I request Architects permission to hijack it for a short while, with a question of mine, please !

Quote:
OK, so most engine parts are common with Punto 75HP and some parts are common with Palio. What happens to the supply of Stile specific and Stile Multijet Specific parts? They seems to okay so far (like Bumpers with new grilles, tail lights etc) but I am not too sure now that the car is discontinued.
In light of the above statement, I guess small hassles in spares availability should be fine with you since you have already had a significant time of hassle free ownership under your belt.

But, will it now be a good decision to purchase a New Palio by shelling out 4.5 Lacs, especially in the above context. I understand that the discount is huge and mouth-watering but 4.5L is still not any small amount and the availability of parts, the numerous horror stories of TASS (which have started coming up in huge numbers off late) have made me aprehensive/finicky. All the more so because this is going to be my first car, and I hardly have any experience on dealing with A.S.S/maintenance guys.

P.S. Architect Sir, If you are not happy with this post in your ownership thread please revert and i will move this query to my thread in "what car" section and put a pointer here to draw attention of Palio owners.

Last edited by SilkDrive : 7th September 2010 at 14:15.
SilkDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 20:45   #214
BHPian

Default Awesome Review

Awesome long term review Archi

Dont worry too much about the Palio spares,when 10 yr old Palio GTX are running strong why worry about our MJD's

Be gentle with the car and avoid driving rashly without taking your frustrations on the MJD its gonna run a 250K km no doubt

Fiat CEO corner on the Fiat India website is very effective send a request to Mr Kapoor and you will get a response from Fiat.

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th September 2010 at 21:06. Reason: Please do not quote the entire post when posting. This causes inconvenience to our mobile users.
amarprusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 23:56   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
My multijet engine is as healthy and as wealthy as new even after 49k kms.....but my engine has never been worked upon
I added that as an aside. The dealer says the engine had to be opened up because of premium diesel, whereas you use premium diesel and have Peted the car, but you don't seem to be facing problems (touchwood).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Whats the problem with using premium fuel ?
Fiat claims the fuel injection system is calibrated for normal diesel and TFASC claims that it spoils the injectors and then other stuff. It's just not worth the risk, so I am happy with normal diesel, which is also cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
This bit is a bit scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I've seen a similar swift getting an almost costly open heart surgery due to no TLC at all for some 40k km, but have seen only a verna engine last longer with no TLC - some 50k km
Well, we can't be sure of how much abuse can lead to this. According to the SA, the owner of that particular Palio never serviced the car even once after taking delivery. He ran it for more than a year (about 20k-30k km) and then simply had to get the engine opened. But why discuss something which we are unlikely to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
But, will it now be a good decision to purchase a New Palio by shelling out 4.5 Lacs, especially in the above context.
You will save almost 70-80 k (like ByDesign). A.S.S. is anybody's guess. I am one of the first owners of this car, and my story is well-documented here.

I have had to wait for a week for a left mirror assembly, a week for a wiper motor and a week for a radiator water pump. Mind you, none of these products had actually stopped working or the car had stopped. So I could afford to wait. Yet, check out the thread by HRSRaghav who waited for 4 months for his Adventure parts after an accident. There are extremes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
Will try to put up a brief summary at least.)
Please write a proper review with photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post
Dont worry too much about the Palio spares,when 10 yr old Palio GTX are running strong why worry about our MJD's
A lot of GTXs have had to wait for parts too. Like HRSRaghav's Adventure, which waited for 4 months for parts (he shunted the front end, which had very few special Adventure parts).

Quote:
Fiat CEO corner on the Fiat India website is very effective send a request to Mr Kapoor and you will get a response from Fiat.
.Anshuman, among others, I believe, has been writing to CEO corner and not getting replies.

Quote:
Awesome long term review Archi
Thanks and thanks for the 5-star rating.

Last edited by architect : 7th September 2010 at 23:58.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 12:04   #216
BHPian

Congratulations architect, for the half century on the MJD.

My 30K service is due and the other TFASC, Ghosh Brothers, has informed me that the diesel filter element is in stock. They still claim that the filter elements for Punto FGT and Palio Stile MJD are different, which I don't want to believe.

PS. I actually took the car to Abhishek Motors for the 30K service last week. They were only able to provide the fuel filter assembly. The service advisor also told me that they were stocking synthetic oil only, of which I would have to by 4 litres, as those came in cans of 1 litres.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 8th September 2010 at 12:10.
tortoiseNhare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 13:13   #217
BHPian

Quote:
I added that as an aside. The dealer says the engine had to be opened up because of premium diesel, whereas you use premium diesel and have Peted the car, but you don't seem to be facing problems (touchwood).
Right Archi , it was just that I got a bit miffed when I read that mine was the second one
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 18:30   #218
BHPian

.Anshuman, among others, I believe, has been writing to CEO corner and not getting replies.

I got email replies and also a call from fiat asking about what spares are required by the dealership for my car and they mailed a details part list ordered by Prerana for my MJD.
amarprusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 22:19   #219
BHPian

@ architect. Congrats buddy on your half-century. I made that run just yesterday, but my strike rate is slightly better as the car would celebrate its 2nd birthday towards November end. And just like you this is my first car and I learnt driving on this car.

I second your thoughts written in the first post, that this car may have some short comings, but is a dream to drive on high ways as you are faced with pot holes while doing speeds around 100 and can do nothing but run over them. If it was any other car I would have thought twice before doing such speeds.

If not for some dropped plans my score would have been 75k. Any way I plan to write a review after making century.

Happy miles all Palio lovers.
vamsi.kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 23:47   #220
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I broke my RIGHT ORVM (just the mirror, not the assembly) for the second time in my ownership of this car . And to think that a lot of bad drivers warn me to fold the LEFT ORVM as it is prone to breakage!
Old 9th September 2010, 12:29   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I broke my RIGHT ORVM (just the mirror, not the assembly) for the second time in my ownership of this car .
Fixed.

Price of Mirror @ASC: Rs 600-odd plus labour + Tax (Total: Rs 800-900)
Waiting Period: 1 week

Price of Mirror @Noida Sec16: Rs 90 + Rs 30(fixing)
Waiting Period: 5 minutes.

So where's the catch? The mirror is from the retro Palio, which means it fits and works in the new assembly, but the shape does not match the assembly cover. With a saving of Rs 800 and a long waiting period, not to mention inconvenience in driving, I am not complaining and willing to overlook the shape mismatch.

But, this brings about another point: Spares of the Palio Stile are barely non-existent in the local market.
Old 9th September 2010, 21:04   #222
BHPian

Quote:
But, this brings about another point: Spares of the Palio Stile are barely non-existent in the local market.
Truth was never told better. Try asking for the measly mudflaps for the Palio Style and you know why.

My Palio MJD is due for its 30000 service next week. With all the rains here in Hyderabad, thought of going for new wiper blades. As usual had to go round to find a pair: 24 and 18 inches. Bosch. Total Rs. 320. Was not available with the A S S.

Congratulations on achieving 50000 km. Happy driving.
lejhoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 00:21   #223
BHPian

Samyak is not an official FIAT dealer now so is it advisable to go to Samyak for servicing as that may void the warranty ?

I have a Punto 1.3 Emotion and wanted to know the good / best FIAT authorised servicing dealers in Delhi.
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 10:46   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
Samyak is not an official FIAT dealer now so is it advisable to go to Samyak for servicing as that may void the warranty
They are an authorised service centre, although the dealership was closed long back. They are listed as "Elegant Cars" (their new name) in the Fiat website.
Old 14th October 2010, 07:32   #225
BHPian

Great review there architect. Does the cooling fan on the stile multijet make a lot of noise ? Recently saw one stile whose fans had some good noise.
Ravi Yadav is offline   Reply With Quote