Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 30th March 2013, 13:27   #406
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: Four Years of Ownership—and 84,000 km behind the wheel

Many congratulations for that very very special milestone of your life! Now that the trusted Stile is showing signs of ageing would you not look forward to a good buy back deal from (all new) Fiat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Thanks, Bruiser! Getting married has been one of the reasons I have been out of circulation for a long while.

Incidentally the last mentioned accident had another side-effect. The intercooler had developed a slow leak! Another 10,000/- bucks or so! it has been very expensive with this car.

On the other hand, the fifth year will be over in two weeks. The car has also done a 700 km drive to Mukteshwar and Ramgarh in Uttarakhand on my honeymoon.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 16:09   #407
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: Four Years of Ownership—and 84,000 km behind the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Many congratulations for that very very special milestone of your life! Now that the trusted Stile is showing signs of ageing would you not look forward to a good buy back deal from (all new) Fiat?
Financially, there is no way I can justify selling off this car for 1.5 lakhs (or even 1 lakh at the dealers') and putting in another 6 lakhs in cash to buy a hatchback that is somewhat equivalent in capability. It doesn't make much sense. Also, I do not have 6 lakhs lying around me. Simple.

Besides, judging by the sales numbers that the Punto is clocking every month, I do not want to live with another exotic. Also, I would be more interested in the Linea, but I do not like being saddled with another 1.3L MJD engine and just 15 HP more power. I do not want to wait another few years for the engine to reach 2,000 RPM.

So, the best thing for me to do is to wait for another 1,00,000 km on this car (which should be done in about 4 years) and then see what to do with it. I am assuming the parts supplies will be there and with routine maintenance it will be reasonably reliable.

Last edited by architect : 30th March 2013 at 16:12.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 09:00   #408
BHPian

@architect
First of all Congratulations and hats off to your patience in maintaining the car. Good Service network matters a lot. I realized this now while maintaining the swift.
vikasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 03:13   #409
Senior - BHPian

Just a small update, since this page has been dormant for almost 6 months now. What with shifting homes, getting married and juggling a full-time job along with a fledgling personal practice, life hasn't been too easy.

Car has done 1,16,000 km now. About 5 years and 6 months are almost up.

The last one year has been expensive because of suspension overhaul and three accidents (thankfully all very minor involving no injuries to anyone except the car). Driving has gone up to more than 2,000 km per month now. At this rate I will be touching 1,50,000 km by end 2014. After that I intend to shift to a place which is another 15 km further away so all hell will break loose by then, I suppose.

Michelin XM1+ gave up after 60,000 km of service. Bought another set of four Michelin (XM2 this time) at Rs 5,200/- per piece. Spare continues to be Yokohama A-drive from previous set.

Rear suspension is original. Front suspension is replaced except for one lower arm which is still going.

Two accidents have led to replacement of radiator (the new one was damaged again within a month), intercooler, bumper, one shock absorber and some other minor parts.

The power steering assembly oil seals have developed a leak it seems. Power Steering Fluid reduced by a substantial extent during my previous long trip (where I drove 1250 km in 23 hours with only food and toilet breaks from Indore to Delhi). Since the last top-up it has been OK. I carry a 1-litre can of Power Steering Fluid in the car, just in case, but haven't used it since the top-up after my trip to Indore from Delhi. Maybe another (very expensive) replacement is due.

Obviously there are a few sounds and a few minor issues but everything works.

Clutch was replaced at 1,00,000 km.

I have explored the option of trading this car with a Punto 90 HP or a Linea MJD since I like the latest versions. Even the service has improved in the last 6 months. However, as I have said earlier, getting myself around to plonking another 6 lakhs for a slightly better hatchback or 8 lakhs for a sedan is not making much sense, since this car is running fine. The only advantage is that the Punto /Linea have much cheaper spares. I wouldn't have taken up a 3,000 km roadtrip on it last month if I was worried about its reliability. Buying other cars needs more thought as none of them are getting loyalty bonuses and we already know that Fiats have some of the best pricing already.

That's how things are. Just noticed a lot of Palio MJD Long-Term Reviews so I thought I would put up mine too. And some pictures.

P.S. The car needs a denting-painting job. Soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 1,75,000 kms, 8+ years, overhauled engine-imageimg_6268small.jpg  

Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 1,75,000 kms, 8+ years, overhauled engine-imageimg_6275small.jpg  

Last edited by architect : 19th September 2013 at 03:18.
architect is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 10:45   #410
BHPian

Congrats on achieving milestone.
How is parts supply for Palio?
Has it improved? How is it compared to retro Palio especially for unusual parts like radiator, suspension etc. How many years can it be expected since it was discontinued in 2010.
I am thinking of getting one probably.
Thanks Sanjay.
HydroFuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 23:17   #411
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 6 years and 1,28,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Congrats on achieving milestone.
How is parts supply for Palio?
Has it improved? How is it compared to retro Palio especially for unusual parts like radiator, suspension etc. How many years can it be expected since it was discontinued in 2010.
I am thinking of getting one probably.
Thanks Sanjay.
Parts supply has improved slightly. But parts prices have gone up. E.g. Punto Intercooler costs Rs 3,500/- but same intercooler for Palio costs 10,000/-. Palio Stile parts are even more expensive than retro Palio.

See the thing is that none of the parts are made in India, so they are being imported from Brazil (or China by the local market). So, as long as these things are being made out there, and someone is enterprising enough, parts will be available, but with difficulty. Fiat's commitment to help customers seems to have improved. But you can only do things up to a point.

If you get a Palio Stile MJD you need the following:

a. Good relations with a Fiat ASC.
b. Kawa motors in Mumbai and Agarwal brothers in Delhi as alternate parts source. (Note: I have no experience of either).
c. Patience and a lower tolerance level.
d. Ability to stomach somewhat expensive parts prices.

The upside is that you can get a 4 year old Swift Diesel with about 80,000 km on the odometer for about Rs 3 - 3.5 lakh whereas you can get a similar vintage Palio for 1.75 - 2.00 lakh.
architect is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 09:11   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Just a small update, since this page has been dormant for almost 6 months now. What with shifting homes, getting married and juggling a full-time job along with a fledgling personal practice, life hasn't been too easy.

Car has done 1,16,000 km now. About 5 years and 6 months are almost up.
Every time I see an update about your car I begin having greater expectations from my daily ride. As the quantum of my travel hovers around 1200KM/Month, at 75,000KM now, the feeling at present is that I won't have to think about a new car at least for 3 more years, assuming that my car too can get to your present reading before falling apart.

The Fiat authorised service centre meanwhile pulled off a coup by sending the heating and ventilation system of my car for a toss in the process of opening the dashboard while fixing a loose clutch pedal. One mechanic managed to drop a screwdriver through the AC hose (God knows how!) for which the whole system had to be opened. They opened the dashboard all over again when I detected the ventilation problem but in the process the heater cable got damaged.
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:26   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Parts supply has improved slightly. But parts prices have gone up. E.g. Punto Intercooler costs Rs 3,500/- but same intercooler for Palio costs 10,000/-. Palio Stile parts are even more expensive than retro Palio.

Absolutely correct on both counts (supply and price). With the new FIAT exclusive network, I see parts being easily available (in stock), as well as improved willingness to order parts from FIAT warehouse. Even trim parts are more easily available now - I got the running board cover with clips from Kashyap within 7 days of ordering the part.

Another example of price increases: the front damper / strut used to cost around INR 2300 a few years ago. The same thing cost INR 5200 today. In this case, limited suppliers / import argument is not true either. The old strut was manufactured by Cofap (Magneti Marelli) in Brazil, and so is the new one!

And what is it with the Stile spares prices anyway? My Palio's steering rack is for INR 16 K (just got it replaced), while the one for the Stile is INR 39K!!

On the whole, though, I am much happier now (thanks FIAT!). It is one thing to pay higher prices, but quite another not to be able to get a part that one needs.

An aside: I am still ahead of you @ 127K. When are you catching up? :-)

Last edited by vipul_singh : 23rd September 2013 at 13:33.
vipul_singh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 23:51   #414
Senior - BHPian

Just shy of 1,18,000 km and more expenses. Lower arm, RHS ORVM assembly and RHS wheel bearing.

Battery showed weak voltage on cranking. Battery is still under 2.5 year warranty (sealed battery) but I have lost the warranty card while shifting homes and only have the bill. Full warranty expires in November. The first battery went in 60,000 km so the second one giving trouble at 1,18,000 was not a big shock.

Called Batmobile who checked everything and gave their report saying I need to take it to the Exide service centre between 10 AM and 4 AM on a working day with my bill and warranty card blah blah blah. The 'zero-gravity liquid' on the sealed battery was low and one cell seemed weak.

I cannot do it this week as I have a packed schedule at work and this means a full day gone. Worse, I have a trip on this car this weekend with my in-laws and wife (you know how important it is not to have the car screwing up on you on such a trip!).

Finally, I took the car to the nearest neighbourhood Exide Authorised dealer at Ashram Chowk who also sold me my home inverters, so I kind of know him. He took my battery but had no spare 50 Ah battery so gave me a brand new 'volta' 55 Ah battery to use against a Rs 2,000 deposit and charged my battery overnight. It was working in the morning OK so I have put my battery back in my car.

Now, if the battery loses charge again, either the battery needs to be replaced entirely (without a warranty card but with only a bill I don't know if they will honour the warranty) or the alternator is malfunctioning.

The last two years have been phenomenally expensive. My total ownership costs have been like this:

Fuel: Rs 2,73,448/- (Rs 2.31 per km)
Routine Maintenance like service etc: Rs 1,09,322/- (Rs 0.93 per km)
Accident Repair: Rs 42,686/- (Rs 0.36 per km)
now, sample the next figure:
Non-routine maintenance (parts failing, battery, tyres etc): Rs 1,32,332 (Rs 1.12 per km). This figure is high because of the high cost of spares. (Saving grace: tyres are new currently with only 8,000 km on them.)

Total cost of running the car: Rs 5.13 per km
What the car cost me on-road and including loan interest and foreclosure penalty and insurance renewals: Rs 6,40,000/-
What the dealer is offering for this car: Less than Rs 1,00,000/-.

In short, a total ownership cost of Rs 12,46,000/- and a residual value of Rs 1,00,000/-. In other words, a princely cost of Rs 9.70/- per km.

Do the mathematics any way you please, the end result is the same: It makes more sense to hold on to this vehicle than sell it, because the resale is peanuts so I am not losing much whether I sell it now or two years later. Even if I lose 60,000 more on resale value in two years, I would rather spend Rs 30,000 more than what I am spending on the car currently every year than plonk Rs 10,00,000/- or something thereabouts on a car which is a 'superior' experience to this one. Till then, we continue since the minor silver lining is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
With the new FIAT exclusive network, I see parts being easily available (in stock), as well as improved willingness to order parts from FIAT warehouse. Even trim parts are more easily available now - I got the running board cover with clips from Kashyap within 7 days of ordering the part.
Bingo! I can't believe that I got a lower arm, a Palio Stile specific wheel bearing, a Palio Stile specific RHS ORVM, Palio Stile specific MJD under bonnet insulation clips available without a waiting period in a Fiat Service Centre last Sunday. Kashyap Fiat had all this available in stock.

Last edited by architect : 8th October 2013 at 23:56.
architect is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 16:16   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Bingo! I can't believe that I got a lower arm, a Palio Stile specific wheel bearing, a Palio Stile specific RHS ORVM, Palio Stile specific MJD under bonnet insulation clips available without a waiting period in a Fiat Service Centre last Sunday. Kashyap Fiat had all this available in stock.
Yup, the spares scene availability wise has definitely improved quite a lot. The price however is another story . Amazed with your passion for that car!
zoombiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 18:49   #416
BHPian

You have been blessed with authorised service centres having persons with good knowledge of Palio Stile. Also, perhaps those people don't have this palio-is-a-failed-product-so-why-bother attidue. These things result in better workmanship and ready availability of spares. My case, sadly, is quite the opposite. Even then I haven't given up on my car. The most important reason is the one explained by your numbers - there is no new car at par with the present ride that can be a financially better alternative in the medium term (3-4 years).

Quote:

Old 28th November 2013, 09:57   #417
BHPian

Do you know what are the intercooler and radiator parts different from stile MJD to punto. I do believe any parts are interchangeable with the whole assembly. For eg. Earlier palios came with valeo cooling system. The rad fan motor is a clip type and radiator is a different design along with cooling pipes and other stuffs. Later Fiat supplied with Denso which is cheaper and it has different assembly and fan motor. The cost of the radiator is 12k for Valeo and 4K for denso. Also you get fan motor for denso if damaged at a very reasonable price.
I would suggest to match parts between punto and stile , go to chor bazaar or similar kinda scrap yard procure punto stuffs and fit in your car.
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 01:24   #418
Senior - BHPian

Car will do 1,25,000 km tomorrow (70 km to go and my daily run will take care of it!).

Last few months have been a little touch-and-go, especially with two small but serious parts failures: the engine coolant sleeve (point where coolant exits the engine block) gave way and the car overheated and the power steering fluid cylinder developed a leak draining off all the power steering fluid within half-an-hour of driving. Both cases car made it safely to Kashyap Fiat 15 km away.

Battery gave up. Again. Third battery on now. Michelin XM2 are doing duty for the last 14,000 km. They are as good (perhaps better) than XM1+.

As of now, the car continues with two issues: a leak in the power steering system (small leak which makes you top-up a few ml of PS fluid every fortnight) and the AC cooling coil / refrigerant / entire system needs a thorough service as there is ice-formation on the pipes carrying the refrigerant if I run the AC continuously for 3 hours or so. The PS system is around Rs 19000 for the entire set-up including labour so I am not changing it right now. The AC work is more a question of time than money.

Reliability of parts has been an issue for the past 2-3 years. My long drives make me think harder (1000 km+). Besides that, daily duties are not a problem.

Of course, currently this car is here for another 2 years or so. The question of what to buy next is irrelevant now. I would love to buy the Linea with 1.3 MJD and 16" wheels but I am not happy with Fiat reliability post 1,00,000 km, especially with plastic parts. The same applies to Punto 90HP. I liked the Polo GT TDI (1.6 litre engine), but I don't think VW is more reliable than Fiat in the long-term, and it is definitely not cheaper to buy or maintain! That leaves two more contenders: Scorpio and Duster, but they are way above my budget, will cost me 60% more to run in fuel costs, and the Scorpio will give me two more useless rear seats!

Six years will be up in April, by when I will be around 1.3 lakh km. That's it for now.

Meanwhile, my bike, a Pulsar 150 DTS-i will go to its new owner this week. Even if I used the Metro occasionally, I had the bike as a sort of 'psychological back-up' but now I will be left with just two Europeans to rely on for transport needs: Fiat Palio and Bombardier (Delhi Metro Trains).

Last edited by architect : 12th February 2014 at 01:28.
architect is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 11:38   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Car will do 1,25,000 km tomorrow (70 km to go and my daily run will take care of it!).

Last few months have been a little touch-and-go, especially with two small but serious parts failures: the engine coolant sleeve (point where coolant exits the engine block) gave way and the car overheated and the power steering fluid cylinder developed a leak draining off all the power steering fluid within half-an-hour of driving. Both cases car made it safely to Kashyap Fiat 15 km away.

Battery gave up. Again. Third battery on now. Michelin XM2 are doing duty for the last 14,000 km. They are as good (perhaps better) than XM1+.

As of now, the car continues with two issues: a leak in the power steering system (small leak which makes you top-up a few ml of PS fluid every fortnight) and the AC cooling coil / refrigerant / entire system needs a thorough service as there is ice-formation on the pipes carrying the refrigerant if I run the AC continuously for 3 hours or so. The PS system is around Rs 19000 for the entire set-up including labour so I am not changing it right now. The AC work is more a question of time than money.

Reliability of parts has been an issue for the past 2-3 years. My long drives make me think harder (1000 km+). Besides that, daily duties are not a problem.

Of course, currently this car is here for another 2 years or so. The question of what to buy next is irrelevant now. I would love to buy the Linea with 1.3 MJD and 16" wheels but I am not happy with Fiat reliability post 1,00,000 km, especially with plastic parts. The same applies to Punto 90HP. I liked the Polo GT TDI (1.6 litre engine), but I don't think VW is more reliable than Fiat in the long-term, and it is definitely not cheaper to buy or maintain! That leaves two more contenders: Scorpio and Duster, but they are way above my budget, will cost me 60% more to run in fuel costs, and the Scorpio will give me two more useless rear seats!

Six years will be up in April, by when I will be around 1.3 lakh km. That's it for now.

Meanwhile, my bike, a Pulsar 150 DTS-i will go to its new owner this week. Even if I used the Metro occasionally, I had the bike as a sort of 'psychological back-up' but now I will be left with just two Europeans to rely on for transport needs: Fiat Palio and Bombardier (Delhi Metro Trains).
bhaiya, you are married now. soon there will be a kid. Time to settle down - no more excitement, some boring stability required now!

You know what i mean!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 12:44   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
bhaiya, you are married now. soon there will be a kid. Time to settle down - no more excitement, some boring stability required now!
So what are my stable, boring choices?

Swift Diesel (same engine again in almost the same state of tune)?
i20 Diesel?
Figo?
or the supremely boringly reliable Liva diesel?
architect is offline   Reply With Quote