Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 1st August 2014, 16:47   #436
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Palio Stile Multijet: 6 years and 1,28,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Brake padle remain pressed on applying and does not come back to original position. It needs pumping initially after starting the car.
Looks like the brake booster is gone. Get it checked immediately.
architect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 20:30   #437
Senior - BHPian

Went for the 21st Service today. Regular Service + Diesel Filter + one rear shocker replaced. Engine Mount wasn't available and Power Steering replacement is still in the future plan. Total damage: Rs 8,270/-.

Now, assuming the car has a value of Rs 90,000/- (Carwale gives a higher value but dealer says 90,000 in exchange value), the car has cost me Rs 9.50 per kilometer inclusive of every cost and deducting the 90,000 from it. So basically sticker price + fuel + maintenance + loan interest = Rs 12,88,003. The sticker price was Rs 5,00,000 on-road. This is the real cost of owning a car!
architect is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 21:37   #438
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on buying and maintaining this wonderful car. It's always good to see long term ownership reports like this with detailed maintenance records.

BTW, how much did the brake booster cost?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 00:25   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Congratulations on buying and maintaining this wonderful car. It's always good to see long term ownership reports like this with detailed maintenance records.

BTW, how much did the brake booster cost?
The bills of last Financial Year have gone to the Chartered Accountant, but approximately 3,700 or something was the cost of the brake booster.
architect is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 14:17   #440
Senior - BHPian

Thanks.
Not sure how the pricing is compared to other diesel hatchbacks or national engine cars, but while I was at Hyundai to get my Tucson serviced, another Tucson had come in. It's brake booster had failed and they diagnosed that it can't be repaired and replacement was the only option. A new one was ordered from Korea only after the customer made advanced payment (brake booster for Tucson costs some 45000 rupees!!!)

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 22:09   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Went for the 21st Service today. Regular Service + Diesel Filter + one rear shocker replaced. Engine Mount wasn't available and Power Steering replacement is still in the future plan. Total damage: Rs 8,270/-.

Now, assuming the car has a value of Rs 90,000/- (Carwale gives a higher value but dealer says 90,000 in exchange value), the car has cost me Rs 9.50 per kilometer inclusive of every cost and deducting the 90,000 from it. So basically sticker price + fuel + maintenance + loan interest = Rs 12,88,003. The sticker price was Rs 5,00,000 on-road. This is the real cost of owning a car!
How is the car doing? Is 140k up?
[Arnab mode]
India needs to know!!
[/Arnab mode]

Jokes apart, do update!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 12:17   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
How is the car doing? Is 140k up?
[Arnab mode]
India needs to know!!
[/Arnab mode]
Odometer stands at 1,38,500 km now. Replaced the hydraulic engine mount. Now only pending issue is power steering assembly. The leak has consumed 1 litre of PS fluid in 15 months (which is nothing really). Meanwhile, one of the lower arms in the front suspension seems to be wanting to give up. I hope it is the one that was changed at 85,000 km and not the one changed at 1,15,000 km. I think I will be crossing 1,50,000 km by the time 7 years are up in April 2015.
Old 11th October 2014, 17:05   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Odometer stands at 1,38,500 km now.
Good going! How is the engine holding up? As per the manual, the timing chain needed to be adjusted at 60K and replaced at 120K. Here, the mechanics do know how to replace the chain but have no clue if it is possible to adjust the same without opening a part of the engine.

In mine, the synthetic oil (Selenia) filled by the erstwhile Fiat dealer ended in a disaster. I must shoulder the blame entirely. Merely because I was told "it's good for 15K" I had no business NOT to check oil level for a long time. End result: noise from timing chain leading to its replacement. Side effect: oil leaking from the oil sump seals now. The oil sump was removed at the time of chain replacement, but after refit, the sealant (no gasket is used here) already gave up twice.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2014, 18:30   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Good going! How is the engine holding up? As per the manual, the timing chain needed to be adjusted at 60K and replaced at 120K. Here, the mechanics do know how to replace the chain but have no clue if it is possible to adjust the same without opening a part of the engine.

In mine, the synthetic oil (Selenia) filled by the erstwhile Fiat dealer ended in a disaster. I must shoulder the blame entirely. Merely because I was told "it's good for 15K" I had no business NOT to check oil level for a long time. End result: noise from timing chain leading to its replacement. Side effect: oil leaking from the oil sump seals now. The oil sump was removed at the time of chain replacement, but after refit, the sealant (no gasket is used here) already gave up twice.
Engine is holding up fine, although I suspect the FE has reduced a little bit. Actually, the traffic has become terrible and I have shifted so far from work that every day the car goes through hell. Alas, I cannot recreate the old conditions to see if the FE has reduced or not.

The oil sump should not have been opened to change the timing chain, as far as I know. Oil leak is bad. And maybe it has happenned because you shifted to Selenia so late into the life of the engine. Read the article on the forum in Technical Section about switching oils. One should not switch from mineral to synthetic very late because the older oil seals tend to crack.

There is a strange vibrating sound when I release the clutch in first gear ONLY if AC is on. We have done R&D but cannot isolate. The clutch gear box AC compressor are otherwise working fine. I had thought changing the hydraulic engine mount would remove it, but while it has made the car quieter, especially at starting, the noise does not go. Fingers crossed!
Old 15th October 2014, 10:20   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Engine is holding up fine, although I suspect the FE has reduced a little bit.
What about the timing chain? Was it ever adjusted/replaced?
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 14:21   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
What about the timing chain? Was it ever adjusted/replaced?
Replaced at 1,00,000 km. Never adjusted.
Old 22nd November 2014, 20:59   #447
Senior - BHPian

Car crossed 1,40,000 km yesterday. At this rate I will finish 1,50,000 km before seven years are up.

Sometime in the week before last, I rolled down the driver's door power window at the DND flyway toll and the window refused to go up. Reached office, parked the car and called Kashyap Fiat Okhla (although I usually take the car to the Noida branch but this was an emergency so I wanted to call the closest guys. Even if the car couldn't be fixed, a car with one window open was safer in an ASC than the parking at office or home).

It was an awfully hectic day at office for me, so I left the car with my wife in office, who handled the driver who came to pick up the car within an hour. By evening the car was returned. Total bill (including Rs 350 + tax for pick-up) was around Rs 5,300/-. The replaced the PW motor + channel.

Just one of those many, many things that can go wrong.
architect is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 11:40   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Had a similar thing happen to my passenger side window. A local guy who repairs these kinds of malfunctions fixed it for Rs. 1200. Looks like the cable that drives the glass up and down gave way and got itself wound on to something inside. Luckily the motor was fine. Hence the lower charges.
lejhoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2014, 05:05   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Car crossed 1,40,000 km yesterday. At this rate I will finish 1,50,000 km before seven years are up.

Sometime in the week before last, I rolled down the driver's door power window at the DND flyway toll and the window refused to go up. Reached office, parked the car and called Kashyap Fiat Okhla (although I usually take the car to the Noida branch but this was an emergency so I wanted to call the closest guys. Even if the car couldn't be fixed, a car with one window open was safer in an ASC than the parking at office or home).

It was an awfully hectic day at office for me, so I left the car with my wife in office, who handled the driver who came to pick up the car within an hour. By evening the car was returned. Total bill (including Rs 350 + tax for pick-up) was around Rs 5,300/-. The replaced the PW motor + channel.

How are we doing now?

IMHO couldnt you have gotten this done outside for far far cheaper? PW replacement can be for one fourth this cost (replaced for my MIL's santro in september).

Didn't take too long either - but i guess its a tradeoff between office and repair bills.

btw, wasnt there some way to get it wound back up manually - that could've been a usable jugaad esp for winter?

/just thinking out aloud here.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2014, 23:34   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How are we doing now?
Doing okay now. 1,42,500 km service will be done soon. Oil is on the lower side and the oil pressure light remains switched on a wee bit longer when the car starts. But its not too low. I think the cold has affected its viscosity also. Anyway, we are almost at the end of the life of the oil. I just hope my engine has not started consuming oil like a brand new VW engine!

Quote:
Didn't take too long either - but i guess its a tradeoff between office and repair bills.
That was one day when I had to be at various places. The couple of thousands I would have saved was not worth the pressures in office. Not to mention the trouble in locating a guy with a genuine Fiat PW motor.
architect is online now   Reply With Quote