Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 24th May 2005, 02:49   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Scorpio ownership review. EDIT : Now crossed 1,00,000 kms!

well well well , where do i start from ?

ohhh yeah , the title of the thread helps me here , my Scorpion King has turned 1 and it doesn't seem so long back !

Yes she has turned one , and what better start to the Scorpion Kings b'day than a brief review ( as i have a lot of studyin to do ) .
infact i've been waiting for this day since a week now .
Have posted bits and pieces about her here and there , so i think a review is long overdue .

I would be so lying if i said that the year has been bland , at certain occasions it has been more exciting than the fireworks of montoya and schumi starting a race in the 2002 season .

A FEW DETAILS :

MAHINDRA SCORPIO DX
BLACK COLOUR
MILEAGE : 23 K PLUS
PURCHASED : 24/05/2005

The car has done slighlty over 23k kms and is running perfectly . Not that it hasnt ever been a cribber , come on after all you have to pamper them once in a while with a new brake booster or a new side moulding on the side of the deat . But sometimes it's acted unreasonable it's nuts related to the dashboard have been tightened too .

Moving a little towards about the car , it's the Perfect urban S.U.V you can buy in the price it s offered at . Had considered buyin all the available cars in the Indian market around the same budget and it had some tight competition with the safari which lost out due to the same engine that it borrowed from my previous personal car ( Tata Sierra Turbo ) . The Scorpio fit my family s needs perfectly well . Basically we bought it for everyday running to office and sometimes a drive to the docks and stuff . The car was initially bought for me till i was given the zen to use as i wanted to study and not travel to office , lol .

The car isn't definitely a good handler but the handling has been somewhat improved as compared to the 1st genration scorpios .
The engine is fabulous and before you know it you'll be past the 100 kmp/h mark ( now this is in comparison to the choices in the SUV s i had in mind then including a used 2.5 pajero ) . The engine is just perfect for city driving as well as the occasional highway runs , all thanks to the great amout of torque it offers .

I have often raced with petrol cars and never did i feel the disadvatage of driving a dielsel , hats off to M&M for the engine .
Don't want to name which petrol cars as i would not want my inbox full of invitations for a road rash , kidding , lol .
Never said it would outperform , but would definitely not be far behind . Slide the car into the 3rd gear and it could teach quite a few petrol cars a thing or two .

The braking is definitely something that i would not want to rave about as this is certainly an area that M&M should improve and it will do wonders for the car . The legroom too isn't a lot considering it is an suv , but i think it is enough for an average indian . The ac is really good and it chills in the worst conditions .

The car is entirely stock including the tyres ,but i'm sure the amount the scorpion has ben running it will be due for a tyre change by it s next b'day and maybe some nice alloys too .

The music system is not as hi-fi as many other bhians but it definitely fulfills my needs . Details : Pioneer 4250 panel ,12 c.d changer , 2 sony 222 amps , kenwood 400 watts ovals , 500 watts pioneer subwoofer and a pair of pioneer tweeters .

Have had some serious issues with the after sales service of Fortpoint which has definitely improved after a few calls made to them so i can definitely expect much better service next time around .

Problems with the car : a loose side seat moulding , washers , rear wiper not functioning as responsively and maybe a couple more which i can't think of at 2.45 am .

I usually get an average of 8-9 kmpl in city with the ac on most of the time .
Have done a 155 kmp/h (speedo indicated ) several times and it never did feel as flimsy as some people complain (the reason for that is that they are used to more crisp handling cars) .

The car is just perfect to shoo away these cabbies and ricks which get very annoying sometimes , lol , basically a BIG BULLY with a good powerful engine .

But then after all that we have been through together : OWNERSHIP, POSSESSION , WHEEL TO WHEEL ACTION , SEPARATION ( now belongs to my brother ) . . . . . the scorpion king and i are so close everytime i start the car , only if the Scorpion King could talk in a language that i understood fluently other than it s engine noise . . . . . .

manson .

clicked this one with my 7250 long back !

well here s another one that NC obliged me with at one of the meets ! thanks for this one pal !

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th June 2005 at 10:12.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 03:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PURCHASED : 24/05/2005
dude, u got the most important part wrong.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 04:08   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, nice review.
Did you have problems with rear wheels locking up during panic braking ??
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 08:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Cute review. You seem to love your car as if it were your little kid.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 10:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice review of the car manson I have ridden in your Scorpio and it was quite an expereience

Liked you title to the thread

Dippy
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 10:30   #6
BHPian

Nice rview dude. Esp the last line

Quote:
the scorpion king and i are so close everytime i start the car , only if the Scorpion King could talk in a language that i understood fluently other than it s engine noise . . . . .
Guess that is the way it is with most of us
Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 13:15   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
dude, u got the most important part wrong.
oops , but i'm sure the scorpion king is very forgiving and won't mind such an error considerin the time i was posting this .
anyways the correction :

PURCHASED ON 24-05-2004

manson .

Last edited by manson : 24th May 2005 at 13:30.
Old 24th May 2005, 13:39   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Nice review of the car manson I have ridden in your Scorpio and it was quite an expereience

Dippy

an experience that you wouldn't forget for quite a while , right ?

manson .
Old 24th May 2005, 13:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Manson dude - kewl review ( at 245 am ) !!!

yes the scorpio has torque and power thats let down by downright scary handling and bad brakes but as an urban SUV its perfect as you say.

i had the oppurtunity of a drive in the passenger seat ......and yeah umm was good experience.

cheers

Last edited by normally_crazy : 24th May 2005 at 13:42.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 13:49   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
i had the oppurtunity of a drive in the passenger seat ......and yeah umm was good experience.

cheers

weren't you one of the fortunate ones to have me in the passenger seat once while you drove it ?

manson .
Old 24th May 2005, 13:53   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Hey, nice review.
Did you have problems with rear wheels locking up during panic braking ??
none that i can remember , it s basically i think that the brakes heat up after a few hours of driving and tend to get as noisy as a car with worn out brake pads and they feel seriously weak then .

manson .
Old 24th May 2005, 14:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
weren't you one of the fortunate ones to have me in the passenger seat once while you drove it ?

manson .
yeah and u must have felt as safe as in a vault when i drove !

wish i could say the same !!
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 14:03   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie

Guess that is the way it is with most of us
well M & M did try to oblige us with the TALKING CAR , but i definitely prefer the engine noise !

manson .
Old 24th May 2005, 14:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

So your baby is a year old. Im sure all of us have stories to tell of experiences in the scorpios passenger seats.

Have a blast dude....drive safe.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 14:32   #15
bhp
BHPian

many many happy returns of the day to the scorpion king
and a nice neat review manson
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote