Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged View Post
Hi Danindica and Ambujlal,
One of my friend has a Indigo GLS
he complains of
1 ) Fuel smell while driving
2 ) Sudden jerks while driving.
What could be the reason

i see that you (Danindica ) are from HYD, can you suggest a good reliable mechanic for him.

@Ambujlal Your ownership review on the Indigo is excellent
Thanks. Somehow missed this post, sorry about that.

My car has recently started giving jerks. My mechanic says that the clutch plate is on its way to its last days Need to replace clutch plate soon.

Completed 7 peaceful years of driving, no complaints. It has served me well. The only major things replaced are Tyres (@45k kilometers), battery after 6 years and looks like clutch plate replacement after 7 years and some 55k kilometers. Still getting around 12-13kmpl in Bangalore traffic.
ambujlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:53   #77
BHPian

Default Re: Buying and Ownership report of Indigo CS GLS

okay.
What is the average life of a clutch plate ?
Assuming the driver rides at moderate speeds.
and what would be the reason for fuel smell while driving ?
Rugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 10:49   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged View Post
okay.
What is the average life of a clutch plate ?
and what would be the reason for fuel smell while driving ?
If driven properly, a clutch plate should last about 50-55k kilometers easily. Not sure about fuel smell! May be a small leak somewhere in engine bay. This would need a thorough check to ascertain the reason.
Old 27th May 2015, 14:44   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rugged : What is the average life of a clutch plate ?
It is not about speeds, but how you use the clutch. Used correctly (changing at optimal speeds, and not riding half-clutch), the clutch can last really long.

My cousin's Tavera running on original clutch @ 1.9L km
Have seen a Sumo that had done 2.0L +
My Sumo had done 78k before I sold it.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 20:01   #80
BHPian

Hi Rugged,

Here's my response to your two queries; hope its not too late by now.

1 ) Fuel smell while driving:
Unless it is something else, there is absolutely no need to worry about this. A little bit of petrol vapour from minor spillage in the fuel inlet next to the cap can sometimes make its way into the car's cabin. This would certainly be detected by the car's occupants but does not seem to possess any real danger - unless something wierd is actually on and it gets concentrated in some way that I can't think of right now and someone adds incineration to it (a la lighting up a cigarette etc.).

2 ) Sudden jerks while driving:
I see Ambujlal above putting it down to a worn out clutch plate. However, I would say that I was saved from the same "parts selling" soft scam because I take my car to only Concorde in Sanath Nagar. It is a TASS (TATA subsidiary) and a good mechanic there replaced the spark plugs that cost around 400 which took care of the shakes. I too, had earlier received phony clutch plate replacement advice.

Our car's now running in its 90,000 kms on the same original clutch plate.
Danindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 20:03   #81
BHPian

Hi Rugged,

1 ) Fuel smell while driving:
Unless it is something else, there is absolutely no need to worry about this. A little bit of petrol vapour from minor spillage in the fuel inlet next to the cap can sometimes make its way into the car's cabin. This would certainly be detected by the car's occupants but does not seem to possess any real danger - unless something weird is actually on and it gets concentrated in some way that I can't think of right now and someone adds incineration to it (a la lighting up a cigarette etc.).

I see Ambujlal above putting it down to a worn out clutch plate. However, I would say that I was saved from the same "parts selling" soft scam because I take my car to only Concorde in Sanath Nagar. It is a TASS (TATA subsidiary) and a good mechanic there replaced the spark plugs that cost around 400 which took care of the shakes. I too, had earlier received phony clutch plate replacement advice.

Danindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:50   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danindica View Post
Hi Rugged,

I would agree with the spark plug logic. It happens most of the times that an old spark plug leads to jerks. In my case, I got the clutch plate out in front of me and it was gone. Sad but true. I think I am a pretty sedate driver and hardly ever do clutch driving.

Recently took a test drive of Zest for replacing my old work horse. But Tata quality and experience with TASS is keeping me away from taking the plunge. Should I again go with Tata.
Old 22nd July 2015, 17:54   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Recently took a test drive of Zest for replacing my old work horse. But Tata quality and experience with TASS is keeping me away from taking the plunge. Should I again go with Tata.
Going by your ownership review, you seem to be pretty satisfied with their cars. Why suddenly doubt their quality and TASS?
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:52   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Going by your ownership review, you seem to be pretty satisfied with their cars. Why suddenly doubt their quality and TASS?
Yeah am absolutely satisfied with the car, it has served well. Well working with TASS requires patience and skill. In fact it's been 2 years since I went to a TASS and been with local mechanic who gives much more personal attention. I Never complained about the car; Tata makes good cars but after sales was not that great always. On second thoughts, that can be the case with any brand, just that it happens/used to happen more with them; Hence the doubt. Top end Zest is almost 9L OTR in Bangalore. That is lot of money (for me at least) :-)

Last edited by ambujlal : 22nd July 2015 at 18:57.
Old 22nd July 2015, 20:04   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Yeah am absolutely satisfied with the car, it has served well. Well working with TASS requires patience and skill. In fact it's been 2 years since I went to a TASS and been with local mechanic who gives much more personal attention. I Never complained about the car; Tata makes good cars but after sales was not that great always. On second thoughts, that can be the case with any brand, just that it happens/used to happen more with them; Hence the doubt. Top end Zest is almost 9L OTR in Bangalore. That is lot of money (for me at least) :-)
Most of the After sales today require patience and skill, for they are all dealer operated. Once the car is out of warranty, FNG is the way to go.

Me says, wait for 6 more months, see some long term reviews of the zest to feel how the car has held for a longer term and then take the decision. Revotron is a newer technology by Tata and it is advisable to wait and watch how it turned out when it comes to Indian manufacturers.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 09:15   #86
BHPian

After 9 years of companionship, I let go of our first car today. It was a heavy feeling. The car had served us extremely well with zero breakdowns. It did what it was meant to do, take you from point A to B with no fuss. It is a mixed feeling today. When the new owner took it away, told them to take care of it as a baby as I did all along and it would serve you well.

We drove from South India to North India in it and many places around. It was a lazy car and would take its own sweet time to get going but then I was okay with it. Did speeds which are beyond prescribed one's but then those were in her younger days. Let it go with all the fond memories...

Some parting shots!
Attached Thumbnails
Buying and Ownership report of Indigo CS GLS-img_20170422_111046371_hdr.jpg  

Buying and Ownership report of Indigo CS GLS-img_20170422_111053259_hdr.jpg  

Buying and Ownership report of Indigo CS GLS-img_20170422_111105760_hdr.jpg  

Buying and Ownership report of Indigo CS GLS-img_20170422_111136624.jpg  

Buying and Ownership report of Indigo CS GLS-img_20170422_111153107_hdr.jpg  

Buying and Ownership report of Indigo CS GLS-img_20170422_111205120_hdr.jpg  

Buying and Ownership report of Indigo CS GLS-img_20170422_111121545_hdr.jpg  

Buying and Ownership report of Indigo CS GLS-img_20170422_111112343_hdr.jpg  

ambujlal is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 15:31   #87
BHPian

Hoping to see a TUV thread very soon!
Tanmay K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 15:43   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Hoping to see a TUV thread very soon!
Yah, the wait is on! Hope the journey from the house of Tata to Mahindra is a smooth one!