Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th November 2009, 09:20   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Kumar.T. View Post
I have recently purchased a NHC of 2003 Dec-done 65 th km . I am facing these problems:
1) when i travel over a speedbreaker moderately,the bottom touches when there are 4 people in the car
2) braking from 80 kmph suddenly is not efficient

Anyone facing similar problems???
Any solutions???
The Honda dealership wanted 1.5 k plus taxes for replacing the windscreen washer nozzles which were blocked.That is very high. Any solutions ??
Ashok Kumar.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 15:42   #17
BHPian

Default Reply To Ramsagar's Post

Hi,

Thanks for your comment on well maintained machine. Will take some more photographs and upload them.

Rgds,

Ashok Singh
ashokabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 15:47   #18
BHPian

Default Honda Dealers Are Expensive Like Most Car Dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Kumar.T. View Post
The Honda dealership wanted 1.5 k plus taxes for replacing the windscreen washer nozzles which were blocked.That is very high. Any solutions ??
Suggest you go to any reliable mechanic and they should be able to replace the nozzles. However, lower cost will depend on cost of the spares. If spares are not available in the market then you will end up with much the same cost. I had once cleaned with very fine copper wire. Maybe if the deposit is not too hard it might work. Be careful to put a smaller diameter wire.

Rgds,

Ashok Singh
Old 8th February 2010, 08:00   #19

Default Static Electricity shock

My Honda city 2004 has the original upholstery on the seats.There are times when i get out of the car and touch the corner of the door i get a shock.How to avoid this shock and still retain the original upholstery???
Ashok Kumar.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 19:38   #20

Default My Honda City CVT celebrates a decade!!!

My Honda City CVT celebrates a decade!!!

Its a GXi CVT model from 2005, the ODO stands at 1,08,000km and its got a few more lakh kilometers to go.

What I Like:
? Fill it, Drive it, Thats it.
? Problem-free ownership experience.
? Excellent fuel economy.
? Honda service quality.

What I Don’t:
? Low ground clearance while crossing 'A' shaped high speadbreakers while carrying full load.

This is actually a 2005 model, I bought this as a used car from an another IT guy 3 years back who got relocated to Hyderabad.

The ODO read 75K in 2012 when i bought it, and i've put in around 30K in the last three years considering that we have other cars in the house, my daily grind .. err, i mean ride is about 65 kms in Bangalore city driving.

I've taken it to nearby cities like Mysore, Tumkur etc multiple times, but not a big fan of long-distance driving due to family's reluctance to do the same.

Exterior Styling and Design
The design is mechanically perfect, but the front end looks a bit dated for others (not me ).

Overall Build Quality
Overall build quality of the car is excellent, i've had no part failures, mechanical or otherwise till date.

Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
The brakes/tyres do their job effectively, i've had a few braking situations in city as well as the highway, the 10 year old car stopped perfectly on all occasions. I recollect two examples.

1. Near golf course signal (after WIndsor manor) i was cruising at about 50, and find that the traffic is dead stopped. I was about 15 feet behind a Meru cab, i literally stood on the brakes, i could see the meru driver's head, was expecting a medium crash and the consequences associated..but voila the car stopped about a feet from his bumper, not even a skid. I have been more careful after that.

2. Highway braking is good, but with a full load of 5 passengers and boot, the brakes inspire about 75% confidence. So sometimes i end up either putting the shift to S or L or pulling the hand-brake to 50% to boost the braking (No - hand-braking does not affect stability or handling, as i have done it a few hundred times in city/highway on various models of cars... let me clarify BRAKES + HANDBRAKE = SAFE, but NOBRAKES + HANDBRAKE + SLIPPERY SURFACE + TURNING = DISASTER)

Interior Design and Quality
The interior design and quality is okay for a decade old car, looks much better than my cousin's other branded cars that are relatively new.

Driving Position and Ergonomics
The visibility is good, i dont feel like i am sitting on the floor. Also the driver seat is height adjustable, and for long drives I feel comfortable driving wearing sandals than shoes.

Air-conditioning
AC is okay, but given that i have a black car and the absence of tints, the car gets to get hot inside soon. My solution is to pour a bottle of water on windscreen & roof during breaks on highway rides

Cabin and Boot Space
One of the biggest in its class i guess, i once ferried 5 passengers and also carried 5 heavy bags of Rice from MYS to BLR

Engine Performance: In City
Since its a CVT, I feel i have enough power on Tap, i have had the chance (or stupidity) of ego-racing a few japanese and germans for brief periods, and all the times it has brought smiles to my face

Engine Performance: On The Highway
I dont do much Highway sprints, but its satisfactory on all counts.

Notably, everytime i encounter a speedbreaker, i floor the throttle halfway, and after a few seconds all other brand of cars are atleast half a KM behind me, they eventually catch up with me since i dont exceed 100

Since its a Automatic, the linear acceleration and the lack of delay in clutch/gear changing, the driver comfort level is bit notch higher both in city/highway.

NVH Levels:
Whats that?

Problems faced:
Whats that?

Fuel Efficiency:
I get about 13-14 in city and 16-17 highway

Mods done the car:
Bought Coil spring adjusters for rear springs from US, this solved the dreaded bottoming and scraping on full load, more details in GTO's thread about coil spring adjusters for his Civic

Service:
Last 3 years, i have been servicing it at Magnum honda on Kanakapura road, they have been courteous and professional all the time.

Additional notes about the Car and myself (Some are Quirky things)
1. As a backup, i always carry a bottle of petrol in the boot, since i dont fill the tank full these days. I just fill enough to last a week or a particular journey
2. Invested in Air compressor (20$ from US) , puncture kit (Rs 150 from JC Road) and hydraulic jack (Rs 500 from JC Road) , but never had a chance of using any of them yet
3. Initially i was servicing it every 6 months on the dot, but now i feel its overkill and shifted to every 9 month or 8K km service

Last edited by kishgator : 7th March 2015 at 15:08. Reason: Added some details
kishgator is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 08:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Honda City CVT celebrates a decade!!!

That's a nice review, and I don't think I have read another such long term ownership review of a City.

Could you also post some photos of your car?

Buying it used at 75k kms was a daring decision, I must say. And the car seems to have served you well. Any idea how much did you spend on the upkeep?
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015, 15:12   #22

Name:  20130410 15.08.58.jpg
Views: 2894
Size:  58.0 KB

Name:  20130410 15.09.14.jpg
Views: 2892
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  20130410 15.09.24.jpg
Views: 2880
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  20130410 15.09.32.jpg
Views: 2844
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  20130410 15.09.54.jpg
Views: 2833
Size:  41.6 KB

Name:  20130410 15.10.03.jpg
Views: 2852
Size:  56.1 KB
Attached Images

kishgator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 11:20   #23
BHPian

Hi,

thanks for nice review.

I was never keen on old honda city due to its looks, but off late I could could understand from our TBHPians reviews that its a very practical sedan with a beautiful combination of power and mileage.

If someone would like to go for a used City gxi CVT like that of yours, would you recommend buying it now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishgator View Post
My Honda City CVT celebrates a decade!!!

Its a GXi CVT model from 2005, the ODO stands at 1,08,000km and its got a few more lakh kilometers to go.

What I Like:
? Fill it, Drive it, Thats it.
? Problem-free ownership experience.
? Excellent fuel economy.
? Honda service quality.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 16:47   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Hi,

thanks for nice review.

I was never keen on old honda city due to its looks, but off late I could could understand from our TBHPians reviews that its a very practical sedan with a beautiful combination of power and mileage.

If someone would like to go for a used City gxi CVT like that of yours, would you recommend buying it now?
I would recommend it without a doubt, however due to the large availability of choices in todays' market it is really tough "mindset decision" for someone to buy a used 10 year old car, even if its more reliable than a new car that rolls out of the showroom. BUt as yours truly says..."our market always has buyers and sellers for everthing"
kishgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 17:43   #25

Default Re: New Honda City GXi - 60000 kms review

The ODO now stands at 111K, usage reduced by 50% due to availability of office cab, now with my US visa under process I might be putting the car on sale, maybe under the new owner he will touch a few lakh kilometers more .
kishgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 01:24   #26
BHPian

The mechanicals of the car which I wrote about are still in good condition. I have had to change some shock absorbers (Indian roads), some suspension components, one or two wheel bearings. My car has now done 105000 km. However, the body tends to get rusted particularly lower part of the doors. Since the metal sheet is very thin and gets dented easily it is a real problem in Delhi - bad driving habits and poor control from the traffic cops.

However, I would definitely recommend one of these cars even with 100000 on the odo since you could get it for around Rs 1.6-1.7 lacs and spend around 40-50 K to do the body up tiptop and cleaning of the upholstery etc. You would get a wonderful car for Rs 2 lacs approx which will give you around 12-13 km/litre in the city with AC on.
Old 30th May 2016, 09:30   #27
BHPian

Do you remember the cost of wheel-bearings? Were they replaced at a Honda service centre?
VaahanYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 15:56   #28
BHPian

First of all let me congratulate you for acquiring this wonderful Japanese monster.

Indeed, the second Gen Honda City is considered the best among all iterations India has seen thus far. This makes it a pricey possession and noble enough to cause envy among onlookers. The City ZX is still my favorite Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishgator View Post
Additional notes about the Car and myself (Some are Quirky things)
1. As a backup, i always carry a bottle of petrol in the boot, since i dont fill the tank full these days. I just fill enough to last a week or a particular journey

Mind me having a spare tyre in the boot is always safe but spare fuel is not. Petrol is a highly inflammable liquid and carrying unprotected fuel in the boot is seriously dangerous. I humbly suggest you to refrain from this practice at any cost. It is always better to fill even those extra liters of fuel into the tank, rather than keeping it in spare and invite risk.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 9th June 2016 at 15:58.
King_pin09 is offline   Reply With Quote