Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 21st May 2009, 17:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

cool man
the idea to is to ask when in doubt - so Im happy to help in whatever small way i can - as Im sure the others are too.
cheers
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:21   #47
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
One needs to drive it in the correct gear and at the correct speed to make maximum use of the diesel engine's natural torque.
Yes thats what one fine tunes and learns when using 2wd is part 4wd territory, the small touch of pedal to use the correct torque for that road condition - of course sliding is involved but you do go through in lets say 60-40 situations, where 40% being stuck probability.

But anyday, if someone has the funds, i would prefer a 4wd - surely we all know - no amount of torque can subsitute 4-wheel power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Would feel bad for sure, cos its not everyday you reach upto that place. Thats the whole point of buying 4WD. Investing 11L, then better look for 4WD.
Do buy a 4wd, if you can afford, there is no debate on that - no one regrets buying a 4wd - you never know when you have to use that option and in those situations, even if it comes once in a while, you will be glad that you had a 4wd.

Quote:
ADC has been an inspiration, need to checkout if he has his ownership thread too.
Bah!! These are the words you do like to see in the morning before starting work, hey thanks a lot!! But actually the big one is HV Kumar out here, just read his North East travelogue - fantastic!

The LTOR is out here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...2-2-t-bhp.html (Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX VTT-TMT [The Magnificient Tourer] - the first 2.2 on T-Bhp)

Nothing much, just some el cheapo rhymes, log expenses and travel links done till now. And in 2nd page, there's even a rhyme about how I miss a 4wd!

Last edited by adc : 22nd May 2009 at 10:25.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 20:45   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Thanks Raj, am looking for Scorpio only. but not very serious offroading required, just some trips to exotic locales with family like ADC has been doing around. God forbid if get stuck, wont get any help at such places to take the truck out. India has such beautiful locales that one MUST visit

Well, its scorpio only for me and need mHawk. I guess for starting my own thread, mera time bhi aayega , till then will keep asking questions to the knowledgable guys here.
tanwaramit hope to welcome you to the family of Scorps soon. Please keep us posted.
I have been driving a lot of 4WD's earlier. Now my Scorpio is a 2WD. Judgment is very important.With a 4WD one can do all the monkey tricks and emerge successful. But with the 2WD one must not venture into 4WD territory at all. Its inevitable sometimes but best avoided.
I have had lots of adventures with the 4WD's too. Once my CJ4A petrol Mahindra jeep was stuck beside a small dam, that had water flowing out and making the road (cart track) alongside very muddy. The patch was roughly 25 to 30 feet long. All the 4 wheels got stuck and the High option too was of no use as the four wheels were rotating on the mud, without the UV moving ahead by an inch. Villagers were called with crow bars, who put the two crow bars beneath the rear axle and slowly jerked the UV ahead. It took more than three hours to get the UV out.
So it depends where, why and how you are stuck?

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th June 2009 at 20:58.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 18:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Default Scorpio 2.6 Turbo Lx - 18 months - 22K + Kms

The Scorpio has served me faithfully and well these last 18 months that I ve had it.

Today just to "stretch" its legs we drove to Mysore, Sri Rangapatna and back for a bit of personal work and loafing about.

Quick Comments and Review since we've happily crossed 20K + Kms and I havent written a review on the Scorp for some time:

1.a:Ride and Handling - excellent as always - strapped in to the front seat.
1.b:Load - only me and wife and camera of course, plus the normal paraphernalia which lives in the vehicle like the golf bag and trolley and assorted toolkit etc. I ve removed the old steel wheels which I used to keep as ballast to add a bit of weight to the rear of the vehicle and on this trip I am coming around to a new way of thinking that carrying those 2 old steel wheels as ballast may not strictly be necessary at all, considering my driving style and the vehicle's overall general behaviour on the road.
2.Engine behaviour and performance - nice to hear that Turbo Whine when the engine is opened up on the highway. As refined and smooth as the 2.6 always was - great to feel the RPM build up and the smooth speed increase on demand. Effortless cruising speed 80-100 in which one doesnt feel anything untoward. I really appreciate this engine though I know there are even better ones now in the market place.
3.Speed, Road holding and Tyres "feel" - Doing a consistent 80-110 speed range and the vehicle felt rock solid and like it was held by "spidey's web" to the road - I love my alloys and the Stock Bridgestone Dueler HT's are behaving very nicely indeed I must say.
4. Fuel efficiency - we started out with the needle hovering near the red - filled up at the HP Pump en route on the NICE Road - flung in 30 litres of reg Diesel. Distance Covered a total of 300 odd Kms with the AC on pretty much throughout, including a bit of soft off road in Sri Rangapatna area - checked the mileage given on returning and found a return of 12.5 Kmpl. As per my reckoning this is pretty good for me.
5.Rattles and Squeaks etc - NONE!! What fun it is to say this - the Scorp is as SOLID as ever!!
6.Niggles - halfway on the going out part after hitting one of those small-ish home made speed breakers at about 40Kmph the horn started sounding as if it had a sore throat. When we stopped I checked and observed that the bracket clamp had come loose. Allowed it to remain that way till we returned to Bangalore - promptly went to SKS Auto on the way in and got is re-fixed. No trouble at all - in any case I never use the horn very much unless absolutely necessary.

All in all, I am reaffirming my happiness with the choice I made, buying the Scorpio 18 months ago!

All going well, I will add to the reviews over the next 10 days or so since one more trip is planned. Hopefully some interesting pics too will happen then, apart from the ones attached here.

1. Pic One - Scorp lurking in the undergrowth in the shade
2. Pic Two - Rear of Scorp - look at the rear number plate closely and you might be able to spot the www. team-bhp. com sticker on it.
3. Pic Three - a rather interesting looking bug that I noticed, clinging to a blade of grass near my front wheel when I parked under that tree.
4. Pic Four - Off the beaten track
5. Pic Five - Distant View from Off the beaten track

Cheers!
Attached Images

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th September 2009 at 18:53.
Old 26th September 2009, 21:43   #50
BHPian

Nice write up shankar. And good to know that the scorpio is serving you well and keeping you happy. Nice alloys. Which ones are these? And how much did you them for? And would it be possible to have a close up or a better shot where the alloys are more visible? the reason why i ask is that i've myself booked the new SLE white. Shcheduled delivery is on the 30th if all goes well, and i am looking for some good alloys. Cheers.
nvldvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 06:24   #51
Senior - BHPian

hi
these are Aura wheels - unfortunately the Birla group has shut down that operation.
But you just might find some old stocks with some dealer F11665 is the model number.
I would suggest you check the Apollo Accelere Alloys which have been launched recently - Im sure you'll find some good ones there.
Also suggest you buy a reputed brand of alloys of the correct size and not just any old alloy because after market fitment of alloys has to be done carefully - especially when it comes to the nuts which hold the wheels in place. Dont buy the excessively wide alloys because they will completely alter the characteristics of the vehicle and its suspension etc. Better stick to the stock recommendations from the safety point of view.
Check with Mr Behram Dhabhar for more information on Alloys for Scorpio and his recommendation as he is the acknowledged expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Nice write up shankar. And good to know that the scorpio is serving you well and keeping you happy. Nice alloys. Which ones are these? And how much did you them for? And would it be possible to have a close up or a better shot where the alloys are more visible? the reason why i ask is that i've myself booked the new SLE white. Shcheduled delivery is on the 30th if all goes well, and i am looking for some good alloys. Cheers.
Old 26th October 2009, 07:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

Default Quick Long Drive to Madras Scorpio 2.6 Crde LX Turbo - Crossing 22K Kms

Hi

This is just a quick additional review to the long term ownership. (No pictures this time, just the review.)

Just did a quick drive to Madras and back on work + pleasure.
1. Load: 4 persons (including myself) + luggage on the way out. 2 persons (including me) + luggage on the way back in.
2.Route: Bangalore-Krishnagiri- Vellore-SriPerumbudur, Porur to Madras & back the same way.
3.Time taken - way out - flat 5.5 hours door-to-door - left BLR 230pm. Reached Madras 730pm (30 minute rest stop). Dropped passengers at their place and was at my home by 8pm.
4.Time taken - way back - flat 5 hours door-to-door - left Madras 10 am. Parked at home in Bangalore 3pm. (30 minute rest stop)
5.Kms covered - 900 odd (including city driving)
6.Fuel used - 42 litres on the way out and 36 litres on the way in (when filled) = 78 litres total
7. FE = 11.5 (ish) kmpl with AC Low on for 90% of the time.
8. Constant speeds maintained on highway - 5th gear 100-120.
9. Max speed hit - on a few clear stretches I hit 140-150 just to see how the vehicle behaved. (No problems).
10.Road conditions = excellent throughout.
11.Traffic conditions = mild on the highway - slightly crowded at near the cities themselves.

General Observations:
1.Full load so markedly less body roll even on curves and while ascending curving bridges etc.
2. Standard "feel good" turbo whine and zoom factor
3. Engine was running like a dream - hardly any noise at all while at top speeds in top gear.
4.Road holding - with the slightly side stance on account of alloys, it felt excellent. No "fear factor" even while hitting 150kmph which is the fastest that I have ever driven this Scorpio.
5. Comfort - all passengers and I reached the destination without feeling tired. On the way back also it was the same.

All in all the Scorp is a great highway cruiser.
Absolutely ideal for long distance driving.
The pace one can set in it, really eats up the miles. (Of course it helps a great deal that the roads in Tamil Nadu are superbly maintained, especially the highway between Madras and Bangalore.)
Most enjoyable to drive if one loves driving and one is ok with the higher stance than one has in a car.
Performance of the vehicle is beyond question.
Fuel efficiency as described is perfectly fine by me given the speeds and driving style.

After crossing 22000 kms on this trip I am very happy my decision on buying the Scorpio seems to be getting reinforced more and more over time, with longer usage.

(of course, on the way back we got taken by an SX4 which must have been constantly averaging at least 15-20kmph higher speeds than I was and again by a Merc E Class that simply left me standing, in terms of the speed he was travelling at, near Krishnagiri, by a Skoda Superb which also simply left me standing around the same place and last but not least a Black Skoda Octavia VRS which zoomed past near Hosur.)

Im not cribbing - those are all low slung, fast cars and I drive a tall jeep-ish SUV.

Cheers!
Old 26th October 2009, 08:46   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

From the title- i thought the drive covered 22k kms.

Last time i travelled, the roads were in bad shape (under construction) on the Karnataka side. Its completed now?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 09:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

sorry - misleading I guess. I have crossed a total of 22K + kms in the Scorp - which is what I meant. The Madras up and down was about 900 odd as mentioned in the review.

the karnataka side - flyover construction is still on - but the amount of inconvenience caused is minimal in relation to the overall drive.
karnataka's general speed of infrastructure and construction work and planning capability has always left quite a lot to be desired - we have to live with that and be patient I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
From the title- i thought the drive covered 22k kms.

Last time i travelled, the roads were in bad shape (under construction) on the Karnataka side. Its completed now?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th October 2009 at 09:41.
Old 26th October 2009, 18:42   #55
BHPian

Great going shankar. Good to know that scorpio is keeping you happy. The zoom factor really does make it an ideal highway cruiser.
Just dont bother about those skodas. They will never know the pleasure of being behind the wheel of a scorpio.
Cheers.
nvldvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 10:04   #56
Senior - BHPian

The review is crisp & clear. Good that you are enjoying the best.
If it had ABS & Airbags, I'm sure you would've touched 180.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 10:09   #57
Senior - BHPian

thanks. but frankly pushing the Scorp to 150 kmph etc is really pushing it. I just wanted to try it out once but it is certainly not in the plan as a regular thing.
ABS and Airbags would be invaluable in the Scorp - one day when I upgrade, I certainly will buy a vehicle which has these necessary features.
However, even then, given the inherent proportions, suspension set up, high stance and high centre of gravity of SUV type vehicles I dont think I would EVER feel confident enough to push it to 180Kmph!
Such speeds in my opinion are best left to low slung and powerful cars which are capable of handling the whole thing much more gracefully and safely than the typical SUV.

As far as the Scorp is concerned, I think I am always most comfortable operating in the band between 90-120 Kmph max. (It also helps with my passenger's comfort and overall Fuel Efficiency!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
The review is crisp & clear. Good that you are enjoying the best.
If it had ABS & Airbags, I'm sure you would've touched 180.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

very nice review, need not to be compared with Sedans , beast travel at his own speed

How about few pics
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 10:16   #59
BANNED

shankar, good precise review of your scorpio, congratulations on the same.No doubt its a great ride if driven perfectly enjoying the machine and road.What it still miss is Airbags and Abs else it would have added more charm to your experience.Wishing you more happy miles ahead with your vehicle.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 10:32   #60
BHPian

Good advice regarding SUV.I think it is not safe to push Scorpio beyond 150kms braking and handling the vehicle becomes a problem at high speeds.I have a Verna and I used to zip past in 180kms regularly.Some of our local RTC buses are unpredictable some stick to the lane some on to the right of the lane and some fellows when you near their buses they try to go to the left suddenly and braking at that speed impossible.I realised 120-130kms is a safer.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote