Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 16th December 2009, 10:28   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

And the ASCs - why go to a circus when you can watch the comic antics of the ASCs at work?
ROTFL

Absolutely agree with this one here. The only saving grace is they are continuously willing to try and not stinge on change parts under warranty
Old 16th December 2009, 12:48   #197
Senior - BHPian

Default Yippee! Problem Found

The coolant Loss Problem was located to a cracked hose going to the heater coil in the dash board. ASC is going for a 50 Km drive to check up on any further consumption. Lets hope the problem is gone for good.
Old 16th December 2009, 17:36   #198
Senior - BHPian

Angry Damn!!!

I guess was a little too happy to jump the gun. The problem still remains and looks like the ASC people are equally clueless.

The workshop manager told me that they are filling some Service Compliant Report to get some clues from M&M.

Any suggestions on what to do now?
Old 16th December 2009, 17:41   #199
Senior - BHPian

Reasons for Coolant loss:
- Leakage from Hose (s)
- Leakage from radiator
- Leakage from gaskets
- Overheating thanks to old engine oil, etc

I think you should keep a watch on what conditions the extra loss occurs, look out for any obvious leaks (on the garage floor, for instance).

Change the entire coolant and refill the coolant system.

Make sure you use only the recommended coolant.

Obvious places to watch out for leakages:
- Water pump
- inlet manifold area
- engine gasket area
- coolant tank itself (I once had a cracked coolant tank)
Old 16th December 2009, 18:25   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Reasons for Coolant loss:
- Leakage from Hose (s)
- Leakage from radiator
- Leakage from gaskets
- Overheating thanks to old engine oil, etc

I think you should keep a watch on what conditions the extra loss occurs, look out for any obvious leaks (on the garage floor, for instance).

Change the entire coolant and refill the coolant system.

Make sure you use only the recommended coolant.

Obvious places to watch out for leakages:
- Water pump
- inlet manifold area
- engine gasket area
- coolant tank itself (I once had a cracked coolant tank)
I have exhausted all checks. Even when I had come to Ladakh, there was coolant loss but was only about half tank in 1 week irrespective of Kms. Now it has increased to Half tank in 2 days and 100 Kms. The tricky part is there are no water leak when the vehicle stands and there aren't any green marks also anywhere on the cylinder, hose or radiator.

Thats why diagnosis is closing in towards either a very small leak in Radiator or in the Cylinder Block. Btw no dissolved oil also in the coolant that was drained, so chances of leakage in coolant galleries in Cylinder is also minimised.
Old 17th December 2009, 10:20   #201
Senior - BHPian

Oh Boy! I saw the thread title edited & realized how frustrated you are feeling Anirudha. Take it easy, sometimes everything happens together but I'm sure they'll be able to resolve everything to your satisfaction.

About the green telltale marks that you're looking for, there is a coolant variety which is colorless, I'm sure you've verified that its not that variety? I remember a similar issue on Eddy's brother's Safari - they kept looking for Green coolant marks & found none & later realized that it was colorless.

And don't give up on the Storm yet - remember, the (young) faithful carried you to Ladakh & back without any issues. Not something that everyone can say about their rides
Old 17th December 2009, 10:37   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
About the green telltale marks that you're looking for, there is a coolant variety which is colorless, I'm sure you've verified that its not that variety? I remember a similar issue on Eddy's brother's Safari - they kept looking for Green coolant marks & found none & later realized that it was colorless.
Storm uses the green coloured variety unlike the light blue colourless variety that comes these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Oh Boy! I saw the thread title edited & realized how frustrated you are feeling Anirudha. Take it easy, sometimes everything happens together but I'm sure they'll be able to resolve everything to your satisfaction.

And don't give up on the Storm yet - remember, the (young) faithful carried you to Ladakh & back without any issues. Not something that everyone can say about their rides
Thanks Sumanda for the Kind and Cheerful words . The Storm was bought after lot of analysis of both vehicle attributes and ASC. Both me and my better half believe it to be the perfect vehicle for our needs and both of us very attached to it. Its only that things are not getting fixed. The last 2k Kms has mainly been in and out of the workshop trying to get the so many minor things fixed.

Had a lengthy chat with the Regional Customer Care Manager last night and the he also empathised with my predicament. He told me in not so many words that he will try to get everything sorted this time failing which we might be looking at a replacement vehicle. I only hope that my Storm isn't a Lemon

Btw does anyone know what all is involved when getting a replacement ?
Old 19th December 2009, 18:06   #203
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from the workshop. M&M service team has not been able to figure out the cause of coolant consumption as yet. They have taken off the head, piston, liners, checked compression, still no clue.

Every thing was found to be in impeccable condition.

So problem is still elusive.
Old 1st January 2010, 06:58   #204
Senior - BHPian

Default Problem found and hopefully solved!

Haven't updated this thread in a while so here's the story so far.

The problem of coolant consumption was finally located down to two sources:
  1. Leak from hose near the heater coil in the dashboard. This was due to bad worksmanship at the ASC while refitting my car during accident repair
  2. The primary and the most important reason for coolant consumption was located down to a defective sleeve beacuse of which the coolant was getting actually sucked into the cylinder and burning along with the charge. White deposits were also found on the piston head
Since this was diagnosed to be a sleeve fault, the same was replaced but while refitment, one roller pin bearing in the head was found to be jammed and hence replaced. The engine was assembled and test run for about 300 Kms.

Then one fine evening the Regional CC Manager calls up and tells me that even though the engine has been totally rectified (had seen it being test run at the ASC) they have taken a decision to replace the engine as per his previous commitment.

The engine has been dispatched from the plant on Tuesday and hopefully reach by today post which will get installed in 2 days.
Old 1st January 2010, 08:05   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Boss,

That's a tumultous journey. Hope its smooth mile crunching now.

OT: Hope this regionalistic nonsense hasn't thrown a spanner in your repair plans!
Old 1st January 2010, 08:44   #206
BHPian

MileCruncher,
Good to know that the problem is properly located and hope it will be the last you ever hear of with the new Heart!!
Old 1st January 2010, 09:43   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Boss,

That's a tumultous journey. Hope its smooth mile crunching now.

OT: Hope this regionalistic nonsense hasn't thrown a spanner in your repair plans!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanScorpio View Post
MileCruncher,
Good to know that the problem is properly located and hope it will be the last you ever hear of with the new Heart!!
Thanks guys!

The saving grace in the entire episode is M&M guys have gone beyond the literal definition of warranty and this kind of reaffirms our ( me & wifey) decision to buy a Mahindra. I only hope that these issues had not erupted in the first place but I guess these are trade-offs while buying Indian.

I'm now looking forward to getting the Storm back and may be do a small trip to complete its running-in.

OT: Almost 10 working days have been lost last month due to this Telengana non-sense and looks like Jan might suffer the same fate.
Old 1st January 2010, 12:48   #208
BHPian

Hello MileCruncher ,

Nice to hear that M&M are improving and sticking to their commitments.

Hope to hear the good new of the Heart Transplant . some pics would add cherry to the cake .

Best wishes and Cheers ahead for the New year !
Old 1st January 2010, 13:03   #209
Senior - BHPian

HI.Congats.

Why was the Odo at 167 kms?
Old 1st January 2010, 13:19   #210
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jimmy and Arnab. Happy New Year to you too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post

Why was the Odo at 167 kms?
No idea! A few trips between the service center, and showroom would have made 50 odd kms.
Closed Thread