Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 9th March 2010, 13:52   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Great pics MC! I must say the storm looks more business-like in black. You removed your wheel covers just for the off-road outing or you've taken them off permanently? I see you've also not put any sunfilm. I'm considering putting it on since using on those suction-type sun shades on the windows while travelling is a pain.
The wheel covers came off the wheels while I was driving on the plains on the way back from Ladakh. 650/Piece is a bit too high price I think and the Authorised Parts Stockist also doesn't have them in Golden (BTW its 350/piece over there) so my wheels stay the way they are right now.

As regards to sun films, I don't like them as they create too much of problem in night driving in adverse conditions. Hence none of my cars have tints. For me the best sun screen are the news paper (agree that the suction type shades are not very helpful.)
Old 9th March 2010, 17:26   #227
BHPian

Rs.650 is way too high. The A.S.S guys do charge that amount. I bought a set of 4 for Rs.600 and they lasted for 8mnths before i switched to Alloys.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:47   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Rs.650 is way too high. The A.S.S guys do charge that amount. I bought a set of 4 for Rs.600 and they lasted for 8mnths before i switched to Alloys.
They are the local ones and are available here as well. But the problem is they are available only in Silver which looks odd on my car. So do need the golden ones.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:51   #229
BHPian

Congrats! How is the NVH levels with new engine?
Old 9th March 2010, 17:53   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The wheel covers came off the wheels while I was driving on the plains on the way back from Ladakh. 650/Piece is a bit too high price I think and the Authorised Parts Stockist also doesn't have them in Golden (BTW its 350/piece over there) so my wheels stay the way they are right now.

As regards to sun films, I don't like them as they create too much of problem in night driving in adverse conditions. Hence none of my cars have tints. For me the best sun screen are the news paper (agree that the suction type shades are not very helpful.)

1. Use Ties to tie the wheel covers to the rims - Silly but it works.

2. Use a light tint just to cut the heat - It is effective - I use light Green and find its better at night too. I had a very similar opinion about tints until I came across this green tint..
Old 9th March 2010, 17:54   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Congrats! How is the NVH levels with new engine?
There is a little bit of vibration at some rev rage but over all the NVH is much better than the DI Bolero. Again may not be at par with mHawk but definitely much improvised. With music at moderate volume, you cannot hear the engine even with windows open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
1. Use Ties to tie the wheel covers to the rims - Silly but it works.

2. Use a light tint just to cut the heat - It is effective - I use light Green and find its better at night too. I had a very similar opinion about tints until I came across this green tint..
1. Have the self locking ties but somehow while filling air is a big problem. Anyways may get them once I get the wheel covers
2. I'm absolutely against tints. All my cars are without tints. As a matter of fact, this is a point of principal for me. And when I say night driving, I mean non-stop Hyd-Chn/Blr thru the rain in night. So I need my 100% visibility and some more . Plus being from Delhi where tints are absolutely banned, I have gotten used to driving without them. Even in Chennai, I used to drive without tints, where people use 0% visibility tints to block the harsh sun rays.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 9th March 2010 at 17:59.
Old 9th March 2010, 18:58   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Have the self locking ties but somehow while filling air is a big problem. Anyways may get them once I get the wheel covers
As I use Nitrogen and TL tyres I dont face this situation often.

Quote:
2. I'm absolutely against tints. All my cars are without tints. As a matter of fact, this is a point of principal for me. And when I say night driving, I mean non-stop Hyd-Chn/Blr thru the rain in night. So I need my 100% visibility and some more . Plus being from Delhi where tints are absolutely banned, I have gotten used to driving without them. Even in Chennai, I used to drive without tints, where people use 0% visibility tints to block the harsh sun rays.
I do respect your POV. So when are you this side of town? Maybe we could catch up this time
Old 9th March 2010, 19:10   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I do respect your POV. So when are you this side of town? Maybe we could catch up this time
I really want to come but somehow not upto driving 1500 Kms to and fro for the JT-5A http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post1773120 (JeepThrills 5th Anniversary Event - 5A)

So exploring options in terms of train/bus and then hitching a ride with someone
Old 26th March 2010, 20:15   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyways spoke to MM guys and they are getting a brake system team to understand and hopefully one in for all rectify the problem.
MC, did the brake team check your vehicle? Who were they?

Quote:
On Friday night the Storm was almost fully loaded with 6 full size adults and to my dismay and surprise, the brakes were highly effective. The moment I got them offloaded, the brakes were back to being their crazy self. So I diagnosed that the problem must be with the LSPV.
As pointed out by you these are clear indications of improper LSPV setting.

Quote:
I found oil leak from the hose connecting the intercooler to intake manifold.
Has the air cleaner clogged? What band does the service indicator show?

Quote:
While in the workshop, also saw my old engine. I had thought that M&M will change only the engine but was pleasantly surprised to know that they changed the engine along with its accessories (turbo, alternator and compressor)
Even i am surprised hearing this.

Spike
Old 26th March 2010, 21:02   #235
Senior - BHPian

Now that you have granted your presence on my ownership thread, I feel blessed . Anyways my answers below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
MC, did the brake team check your vehicle? Who were they?
As per understanding no body came to check. As per the ASC the brakes are absolutely fine and its me who keeps cribbing.
Quote:
As pointed out by you these are clear indications of improper LSPV setting.
I have always thought so and said that many a times. But the guys in LSPV including the person from M&M incharge of that dealership (he has since left M&M) has always kept telling me that LSPV is fine. I'm grateful that you guys changed the rear brake liners on warranty but the problem from the beginning has been somewhere else. These wrong diagnostics are a burden on the bottomline of M&M.

Quote:
Has the air cleaner clogged? What band does the service indicator show?
The less I say about this the better. On return from the Ladakh trip on 3rd service I wanted to get the Air Filter changed but my dear SA XX(don't want to name him here) told me that since my odo was only 153xx Kms air filter will not be changed because company says changing only at 40k Kms even though I would have paid for it. Rather they wanted to sell me a upholstery shampooing service which would have got them more bucks. Anyways the the red lining in the pressure gauge had not come but I could feel a perceptible difference in performance. The oil leak started after the Storm came back from accident repair and many places I could see the shoddy workmanship. But thats all done now because it s been changed when a new engine was being fitted.
Quote:
Even i am surprised hearing this.

Spike
I guess we live to tell about the generosities of M&M
Old 26th March 2010, 21:13   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that you have granted your presence on my ownership thread, I feel blessed .
The less I say about this the better. On return from the Ladakh trip on 3rd service I wanted to get the Air Filter changed but my dear SA XX(don't want to name him here) told me that since my odo was only 153xx Kms air filter will not be changed because company says changing only at 40k Kms even though I would have paid for it.
MC, i liked your ownership report, i can imagine what must be going in your mind. Air cleaner replacement varies according to the driving conditions, if you are driving through severe dusty conditions the replacement interval shortens, oil in intake manifold means oil in intercooler too, please get it cleaned (i don't think it is necessary to replace, if the oil trace is very low).

Spike

P.S. I have replied to your mail, please check.
Old 27th March 2010, 07:25   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Air cleaner replacement varies according to the driving conditions, if you are driving through severe dusty conditions the replacement interval shortens, oil in intake manifold means oil in intercooler too, please get it cleaned (i don't think it is necessary to replace, if the oil trace is very low).
Spike, I am surprised MC had a change of heart in his storm. Why?

And talking about M&M service, the less said the better. They really think customers are idiots

BTW, I have changed oil/ oil filter religiously every 5K kms, whether manual tells me or otherwise and all seem to be going fine..

Now for the 4wd conversion, 4.33 axle swap, and 170BHP ECU remap: courtesy Spike Arrestor:
Old 29th March 2010, 00:56   #238

Bonjour tous,

I am due to take delivery of my new VLX on Wednesday, 31 March; a white one with a total discount of 55000/-

MileCruncher, I have gone through the entire 16 pages in this thread, you started off a happy Bolero; the brakes and then the accident which was unfortunate. The coolant and then the engine all-together must have been a bother?

However, off-roading-LEH/LADAKH-the unimaginable place the machine can take you certainly makes up for all the troubles.

About the brakes; has the problem reoccurred again?

Last edited by aah78 : 29th March 2010 at 01:47. Reason: Text format tags removed.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:02   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk100 View Post
Bonjour tous,

I am due to take delivery of my new VLX on Wednesday, 31 March; a white one with a total discount of 55000/-

MileCruncher, I have gone through the entire 16 pages in this thread, you started off a happy Bolero; the brakes and then the accident which was unfortunate. The coolant and then the engine all-together must have been a bother?

However, off-roading-LEH/LADAKH-the unimaginable place the machine can take you certainly makes up for all the troubles.

About the brakes; has the problem reoccurred again?
Hey Blackhawk welcome the Storm Club. Do let us know what made you choose this particular vehicle. And please do start an ownership thread once you take the delivery.

As regards to my car, brakes are still a bit wonky but I think am closer to figuring it out.

I hope no one has to go through the troubles as me in a new vehicle, but then its ability to go places makes me forget the uncomfortable part.

cheers
Old 29th March 2010, 14:00   #240

Quote:
Hey Blackhawk welcome the Storm Club. Do let us know what made you choose this particular vehicle. And please do start an ownership thread once you take the delivery.

As regards to my car, brakes are still a bit wonky but I think am closer to figuring it out.

I hope no one has to go through the troubles as me in a new vehicle, but then its ability to go places makes me forget the uncomfortable part.

cheers

Thanks, I will start the ownership thread in a few days.

Also, the new VLX has a effective A/c and am easy power steering.

Few reasons why I chose VLX CRDe;

1) Spacious Interior
2) Powerful CRDe Engine
3) Tough / Strong build
4) Price
5) Easy availablity of spares and localy repairable

About the brakes; A friend owns a BOLERO VLX CRDe ABS, his rear right break / drum / ABS jammed and sent him spinning / aqualugged?? (hope I got the term right there) and then down below a bridge. No loss to human life! (His breaking problems was from when he bought the car, from then Mahindra has tried / changed almost everything linings / drums / alterations / ABS Blah blah on the rear right)..a pic attached taken from below the bridge. If you are able to slove the theory of M&M breaks will help a lot of us.
Closed Thread