Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 15th April 2010, 11:18   #256
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Let me try at the tyre shop. Yesterday went and got the rim moved to the stepney and then balanced.
Rim straightening will lead to loss of balance, and you will have to get balancing done again. I suggest you carry it on as spare wheel, and at a later time get it straight and balanced.
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:29   #257
BHPian

Default have had the problem for a few years

Quote:
I guess was a little too happy to jump the gun. The problem still remains and looks like the ASC people are equally clueless.

The workshop manager told me that they are filling some Service Compliant Report to get some clues from M&M.

Any suggestions on what to do now?
On my fourth or fifth year I suddenly had this problem and the service center would keep doing all sorts of things. A year later someone took pity on me, took the radiator out and sealed all the leaks. Now my often over heating ole bolero chugs around with a.c. on second highest fan level, in the Delhi heat with no worries.
Someone has to make up their mind to fix the problem? Sounds stupid but after eight years with my Bolero Glx, i know its true.
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:59   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do I check toe-in? The steering is returning fully to straight after a full circle.
Anirudha, how is the straight ahead stability? Before Wheel alignment please ensure that the wheel end play is correct as per specifications, also ensure that the tie rod joints (ball joints) are OK,then only go for wheel alignment.

Spike
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:38   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S: M&M has introduced a new oil wherein the oil change interval is 20k kms. So the storm will now visit workshop for major service only at 40k, which I intend to complete by December. India here I come
Anirudha, Engine oils are like toilet flush water. Whatever the oil, its better to change every 7K or 8K kms atmost. You may be able to use the oil upto 20K kms at the cost of engine life..

Regarding toe in settings - The storm is a delicate darling and i'd leave it to Spike to advise you on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
OK, so finally this oil has reached Dealers, we have been using this for quite sometime now and it is good.
Quote:
Anirudha, how is the straight ahead stability? Before Wheel alignment please ensure that the wheel end play is correct as per specifications, also ensure that the tie rod joints (ball joints) are OK,then only go for wheel alignment.

Spike
But Spike, why is the storm front end so flimsy? No offense to anyone, but really the vehicle ability is limited by its front end.

I've had a very similar issue and am damn frustrated by the incident. Luckily not much damage..
Old 22nd April 2010, 21:02   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Anirudha, Engine oils are like toilet flush water. Whatever the oil, its better to change every 7K or 8K kms atmost. You may be able to use the oil upto 20K kms at the cost of engine life..

Regarding toe in settings - The storm is a delicate darling and i'd leave it to Spike to advise you on this.
But Spike, why is the storm front end so flimsy? No offense to anyone, but really the vehicle ability is limited by its front end.

I've had a very similar issue and am damn frustrated by the incident. Luckily not much damage..
No offense taken. Headers, the engine oil (as known and used by a few here) is good, you can give it a try. Anyways, Milecruncher will be in a position to give feedback after 20000 kms (within a few months)

Total toe for both wheels is between 1-3 mm for Bolero VLX.

Regarding the front end flimsiness, you have stumped me, i have no answer for this question.

Spike
Old 22nd April 2010, 23:01   #261
Senior - BHPian

@Spikey & Headers: The storm is perfectly going straight. I got the rim changed to the stepney and got the wheels balanced.

As about Engine Oil, as per my understanding the capability or life of any oil is dependent on the oil's capacity to retain viscosity over its service life and not get oxidised. 15k interval oils have been there for Diesel engines for a long time now for CV which endure much more abuse. I intend to get my STORM serviced next at 40k Kms which will be hopefully by December if everything goes as per plan.

But one thing that foxes me is why are all lubricant intervals not in sync?
Engine Oil - 20k
Fuel Filter - 15k
Differential - 30k
Gear Box - 20k (IIRC)

Is this another ploy by the manufacturer to make us visit the workshop multiple times to get small jobs and pay to the ASC.
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:09   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But one thing that foxes me is why are all lubricant intervals not in sync?
Engine Oil - 20k
Fuel Filter - 15k
Differential - 30k
Gear Box - 20k (IIRC)

Is this another ploy by the manufacturer to make us visit the workshop multiple times to get small jobs and pay to the ASC.
Just like there are different grade oils for different components the intervals are also different. These intervals are zeroed after a lot of testing and oil analysis. The oil millipore values are tested after actual running in for their deterioration factor (DF) and the intervals denote the safe operating range for the lubricants after which the wear and tear values of the components are beyond acceptable limits.

This is also the reason why the intervals are different for two manufacturers using the same grade/make/quality of oil. The intervals depend only on the nature of interface between the component and the oil film, which varies according to the manufacturing technique used. This is not a money making ploy.

Hope this clarifies.

Spike

P.S. Oil changes can be easily done at home or with roadside mechanics, only tool needed is a proper sized allen key.

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 23rd April 2010 at 11:21. Reason: add info
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:31   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is also the reason why the intervals are different for two manufacturers using the same grade/make/quality of oil. The intervals depend only on the nature of interface between the component and the oil film, which varies according to the manufacturing technique used. This is not a money making ploy.
So tell me SPIKE, if one manufacturer can acheive say, a replacement interval of 15k kms for a specific type of oil by using certain manufacturing practices,and that is the best in the industry, why dont the others follow it too since customers would automatically shift to a longer lasting oil of the same grade in my opinion.

OT: I have posted another question for you in another Bolero thread as well. Waiting for both the answers
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:46   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
So tell me SPIKE, if one manufacturer can acheive say, a replacement interval of 15k kms for a specific type of oil by using certain manufacturing practices,and that is the best in the industry, why dont the others follow it too since customers would automatically shift to a longer lasting oil of the same grade in my opinion.

OT: I have posted another question for you in another Bolero thread as well. Waiting for both the answers
Forgot to mention that it is not just the manufacturing strategy, design also plays a vital role. Costs associated with technology development/transfer may sometimes prompt the manufacturer to take a back seat.

Spike

OT- Which bolero thread are you talking about? I didn't get you. Please PM me.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:48   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Changing manufacturing techniques is easier said than done and comes with huge capex as well as how much hit the manufacturer is willing to take on warranty. High tolerances on manufacturing which require best of the machinery also has a negative aspect especially in terms of ruggedness. So its a trade-off.

Plus also remember a manufacturer makes money on more lubricant they sell. Less investment more money to be made. Why will anyone move from that unless the market standard changes.

P.S: I learnt from Superb V6 Petrol owner that oil change intervals are like 50k Kms.
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:37   #266
Senior - BHPian

Also, all cars and all IC engines are not the same. Their internal passages are different as well.

If everything were to be equal. We will not have any differences between a Mahindra or a Mercedes : LOL
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:58   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Plus also remember a manufacturer makes money on more lubricant they sell. Less investment more money to be made. Why will anyone move from that unless the market standard changes.

P.S: I learnt from Superb V6 Petrol owner that oil change intervals are like 50k Kms.
So the money making part holds good as well right? That answers my question.

@headers: Sorry if my question was not clear. Let me try to re phrase it.
Keeping everything else the same, if one brand of oil offers a greater change interval compared to the other, wouldn't the customer naturally switch over to it. And if that happens, wouldn't that prompt the other oil manufacturers to change their oils accordingly?

Last edited by n.devdath : 23rd April 2010 at 14:01.
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:14   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@headers: Sorry if my question was not clear. Let me try to re phrase it.
Keeping everything else the same, if one brand of oil offers a greater change interval compared to the other, wouldn't the customer naturally switch over to it. And if that happens, wouldn't that prompt the other oil manufacturers to change their oils accordingly?
Well please remember a particular say SJ Grade 10w40 will have more or less same properties across all brands as these are standards that have been defined by SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers). What cannot be same is the manufacturing processes and tolerances adopted by different manufacturers. Actually for that matter of fact no two same engines produced in the same assembly line will be producing the exact performance parameters. Hence we have a tolerance band.
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:23   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hence we have a tolerance band.
Agreed, but is this band so wide as to translate into differences of around 8k kms between changes? 1-2k kms keeping everything else equal seems more like it.No?
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:27   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed, but is this band so wide as to translate into differences of around 8k kms between changes? 1-2k kms keeping everything else equal seems more like it.No?
Now where do you get the 8k Kms difference?
Closed Thread