Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 23rd April 2010, 18:00   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Agreed, but is this band so wide as to translate into differences of around 8k kms between changes? 1-2k kms keeping everything else equal seems more like it.No?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Now where do you get the 8k Kms difference?

The band is not uniform as the revelant oils do their job. For eg. the Engine oil cannot go into the GB and vice versa.

Again, the function of the differential or GB oil is different than the engine oil.

We may not be able to discuss everything elaborately as it would imply starting from engine design, GB design at one end to the various oils and their grades at the other.

A good thumbrule is to follow the manufactuers handbook and follow oil changes correctly. This differentiates a smooth engine from a rough one.
Old 5th May 2010, 11:16   #272
Senior - BHPian

Default 1 Year : 24180 Kms Update

This day last year the Storm came home and I had a lot of expectation. But what a mixed bag its been. The Storm took me to Ladakh but after returning stayed in the workshop for whole 2 months getting a spinal and open heart surgery. I had hoped that the engine change will be the end of my troubles but that doesn't seem to be so.

I took the storm to the ASC yesterday with as the vibration levels had increased substantially just 1 month/ 1000 Kms after service. I was also getting some noise from the suspension. Since there was an A/C service camp going on, they decided to check the cooling and cleaned out the blower fan as it had accumulated a lot of dust from Ladakh.

The suspension noise was diagnosed to be coming from the rear leaf as opposed to the front IFS suspected by me. I have been advised by the WM of the ASC that they will re-camber the leafs.

Now all you knowledgeable folks, is this normal for leaf springs, especially considering the fact that the Storm most of the time sees max load of 2 people. Since the vehicle is under warranty, I want to get the whole leaf sets replaced rather than repaired. Would that be allowed?

P.S: I changed my insurance from National to Bharti Axa as National had taken the depreciation of 20% for the first year reducing the IDV to 5.5. Bharti gave 5.95 (about what I wanted) and I paid premium of Rs 15,500 without NCB.
Old 5th May 2010, 11:20   #273
Senior - BHPian

MC,

It is normal for leaf springs to be re-cambered.

Also on the load front, I always found that leaf springs operate better with some load on them at the rear-something I learnt from my earlier Crde SLX Scorpio. Infact I used to carry a half filled sand bag on the rear to keep the car not too bouncy and planted when driving alone for long distances or with only 2 seats occupied in the front..
Old 5th May 2010, 11:32   #274
Senior - BHPian

Milecruncher recambering for a 24180 km old suspension is BAD. As I told you earlier, why dont you get the shocks changed too?

Spike
Old 5th May 2010, 11:44   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Milecruncher recambering for a 24180 km old suspension is BAD. As I told you earlier, why dont you get the shocks changed too?

Spike
What I have been told by the outgoing Service chap is that the new shocks are being fitted only under observation and haven't been finalised as yet. Let me get an update on that.
Old 5th May 2010, 12:30   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been advised by the WM of the ASC that they will re-camber the leafs.
Utter BS. I'm sorry you got into this!!!
Old 5th May 2010, 17:49   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Utter BS. I'm sorry you got into this!!!
Sometimes I also feel whether I was right in buying the Bolero. Saving Grace has been the Service Staff.
Old 6th May 2010, 16:20   #278
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
T I was also getting some noise from the suspension. Since there was an A/C service camp going on, they decided to check the cooling and cleaned out the blower fan as it had accumulated a lot of dust from Ladakh.

The suspension noise was diagnosed to be coming from the rear leaf as opposed to the front IFS suspected by me. I have been advised by the WM of the ASC that they will re-camber the leafs.

Now all you knowledgeable folks, is this normal for leaf springs, especially considering the fact that the Storm most of the time sees max load of 2 people. Since the vehicle is under warranty, I want to get the whole leaf sets replaced rather than repaired. Would that be allowed?

NCB.
Is this a squeaking sound you get? I used to get it in my Bolero and it was really irritating. I visited the ASC few times to get it fixed, but they could not get it fixed. Finally I showed to a small workshop and that guy just inserted a thin piece of rubber (he cut it from tire tube) in between the leaves and the sound disappeared.
jp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2010, 12:50   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

Is this a squeaking sound you get? I used to get it in my Bolero and it was really irritating. I visited the ASC few times to get it fixed, but they could not get it fixed. Finally I showed to a small workshop and that guy just inserted a thin piece of rubber (he cut it from tire tube) in between the leaves and the sound disappeared.
Yes it is a squeaking sound. The ASC diagnosed it as the leafs having lost their spring action and thereby have come closer to each other. Solution as per them is re-cambering. Yes one can add rubber and the sound will go. But the spring action having reduced makes the ride also hard. Apart from the squeaks on bad road, I also get "kat" noise ( I think its from front, but ASC says its from the rear) while braking or while turning at slow speeds.

Since the vehicle is under warranty for another year, I intend to get the whole set ( leafs & shockers) changed. But before that I intend to take final opinion from BD Sir & Spike when they are here in Hyd.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 10th May 2010 at 12:51.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:54   #280
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Get that fibreglass stuff.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:57   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I'm not changing anything till the warranty is over. Plus I'm not even sure whether it will last one of my long distance trips. Cant take that chance. Atleast with Leafs replacements are easily available.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:08   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not changing anything till the warranty is over.
They wont change the leaf's for the squeaking sound. Thats inherent in this setup. The kat sound would be the ball joints I think. Get them checked before something like this happens:

Name:  bolero.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  361.5 KB

Taken from the Accidents thread.

Everytime I go to the Service Centers here, I see atleast a couple of Boleroes with the FRP setup. Looks like a good market down south.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:17   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They wont change the leaf's for the squeaking sound. Thats inherent in this setup. The kat sound would be the ball joints I think. Get them checked before something like this happens:
Well M&M is going to change the leafs. I have the confirmation. Plus I'm not going to accept anything lesser. Plus there is a matter of retrofitment of a different shockers as well. I don't think it can be the ball joints as the entire front suspension and the steering system was checked during my last visit. But still let me get it checked.

IMO the FRP is not suitable if you regularly go into remote locations and do bad roads. The uncertainity is just too high for me.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:20   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ASC diagnosed it as the leafs having lost their spring action and thereby have come closer to each other. Solution as per them is re-cambering. Yes one can add rubber and the sound will go. But the spring action having reduced makes the ride also hard. Apart from the squeaks on bad road, I also get "kat" noise ( I think its from front, but ASC says its from the rear) while braking or while turning at slow speeds.
A leaf spring cannot lose its tension within 30K odd kms especially in a vehicle such as this class of vehicles - what say Spike?

Quote:
LOL Spitfire: He who makes the steel leaf springs loose tension will retain a Fibreglass stuff?

You must be kidding?
Old 10th May 2010, 13:26   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well M&M is going to change the leafs. I have the confirmation.
Oh nice. Over 1.3 lakhs on my Bolero, I have changed the leaves only twice. I do bad roads but havent Leh'ed her yet

Quote:
IMO the FRP is not suitable if you regularly go into remote locations and do bad roads.
Hmm... I was getting inclined towared them. Did see the pics of Khan_Sultan ruining them on the Gypsy. But then that's not a good example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
LOL Spitfire: He who makes the steel leaf springs loose tension will retain a Fibreglass stuff?

You must be kidding?
Yeah you are correct. Wrong thread he he.
Closed Thread