Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2010, 13:49   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
LOL Spitfire: He who makes the steel leaf springs loose tension will retain a Fibreglass stuff?

You must be kidding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Oh nice. Over 1.3 lakhs on my Bolero, I have changed the leaves only twice. I do bad roads but havent Leh'ed her yet
After Ladakh, the Storm has already done over 12k Kms, So I don't think its because of that. I feel this has to be substandard material in the component or ill design.
Quote:
Hmm... I was getting inclined towared them. Did see the pics of Khan_Sultan ruining them on the Gypsy. But then that's not a good example.
Are you sure this is what you meant :P
Quote:
LOL Spitfire: He who makes the steel leaf springs loose tension will retain a Fibreglass stuff?

You must be kidding?
Quote:
Yeah you are correct. Wrong thread he he.
Vikram, my friend: I think I need suspensions like the Bowler Wild Cat to suit my driving isshtyle.

Coming back back to the design issue, while the storm was lifted up on the ramp, I saw the water outlet of the HVAC coming out on top of the GB. Initially I thought may be my car has a smaller length pipe but on checking with other Bolero realised it not to be so. The effect of M&M scrimping on some small piece of rubber is that the water from HVAC will continuously fall on the aluminium gearbox casing leading to it slow corrosion & pitting. I don't know whether this is just oversight or ignorance, but whatever be it, is highly deplorable . Anyways I have got another pipe added so that the water from HVAC falls directly on the ground. I suggest all of you also check it and take corrective measure.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:53   #287
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
They wont change the leaf's for the squeaking sound. Thats inherent in this setup. The kat sound would be the ball joints I think. Get them checked before something like this happens:

This one is quite scary Anyone knows how to check this? Will there be any visible sign of this problem?
Old 10th May 2010, 15:38   #288
Team-BHP Support

Ani, we did test drove your Bolero a few nights ago but, i never heard the leafs making that sound nor the meows of "Kats"?

Are you sure this problem is not due to renewed style of driving which in turn is due to better lifestyle that your leading these days?
Old 10th May 2010, 16:36   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A leaf spring cannot lose its tension within 30K odd kms especially in a vehicle such as this class of vehicles - what say Spike?
I agree, 30k for a leaf spring is BAD. I still doubt if it is the leaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The effect of M&M scrimping on some small piece of rubber is that the water from HVAC will continuously fall on the aluminium gearbox casing leading to it slow corrosion & pitting.
Are you sure?

Spike
Old 10th May 2010, 16:48   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I agree, 30k for a leaf spring is BAD. I still doubt if it is the leaf.
I thats why haven't got anything done as yet. Want to take a final opinion from you guys when you are here before getting anything done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

Are you sure?

Spike
Spikey, my man checked it out in not only mine but 5 other Bolero DI's as well. May be you can check it out in the Factory as well. BTW will the vertical position of the GB change when lifted on a ramp. If not, then the water will come down thru the GB side.
Old 10th May 2010, 16:49   #291
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is a squeaking sound. The ASC diagnosed it as the leafs having lost their spring action and thereby have come closer to each other. Solution as per them is re-cambering. Yes one can add rubber and the sound will go. But the spring action having reduced makes the ride also hard. Apart from the squeaks on bad road, I also get "kat" noise ( I think its from front, but ASC says its from the rear) while braking or while turning at slow speeds.

Since the vehicle is under warranty for another year, I intend to get the whole set ( leafs & shockers) changed. But before that I intend to take final opinion from BD Sir & Spike when they are here in Hyd.
Since it is under warranty you get it changed. I had this problem in my first vehicle also. Same trick was done. Nearly two months wasted in ASC to fix this during warranty period, but no luck. Most of the time I am the only occupant in my Bolero, I could not figure out any difference in ride and handling due to this issue other than the irritating noise. The last time I got the rubber pieces inserted was a year ago and still the rubber pieces are there, but looks chewed by the leaves, but still no noise.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:18   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thats why haven't got anything done as yet. Want to take a final opinion from you guys when you are here before getting anything done.
Spikey, my man checked it out in not only mine but 5 other Bolero DI's as well. May be you can check it out in the Factory as well. BTW will the vertical position of the GB change when lifted on a ramp. If not, then the water will come down thru the GB side.
OK, the vertical position of the GB and its inclination will not change when lifted on a ramp. The transmission will ONLY translate motions in different co-ordinates as permitted by the resilient mounts.

Spike
Old 12th May 2010, 13:37   #293
BHPian

Thumbs down Man this is beginning to get scary!

I am reading this report biting my nails, just when I thought a new Bolero Storm would be the ticket I am learning that it may not.
Doesn't seem as tough as my old Xd3P Glx. Oh Lord what do I do now?
Redo my ole one and ride it forever?

Chaunfa
Old 12th May 2010, 13:43   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
I am reading this report biting my nails, just when I thought a new Bolero Storm would be the ticket I am learning that it may not.
Doesn't seem as tough as my old Xd3P Glx. Oh Lord what do I do now?
Redo my ole one and ride it forever?

Chaunfa
We are in same boat.
We just sold off our 10 year old GLX yesterday after putting 1.7L kms on its Odo.
We had almost booked the storm,but decided against it for now.
Old 13th May 2010, 02:31   #295
BHPian

[COLOR=black]Hey i am having a Black bolero storm too .. with a an ODO of 7500 ..So far so good ..i find it more comfortable than my 2004 bolero sports X3DP. But for sure there are niggling problems and it is not a surprise to me since i was close to Indian manufactures like Mahindra & ambassador from 1996 .. Water coming out of the A/C will make the person who sit on the front seat wet !!! I went to the ASC two times to fix it and observing for the latest results. I was having the same issue with my sports too .. Even after 6 years Mahnidra did not make any progress .. I bought the storm in 2009 December.. But my friend purchased one during March 2010 which i found as more defined ..a decent Kenwood system .(I got a scrap one ) .No A/C water leakage .. a steering wheel with a better grip .. more easier gear shifting .. and as last the price i got the bolero storm is 7.07 lakh on road in Bangalore ..And my friend bought it for nearly 7.2 on road from Sireesh auto.. we got around 60-70 thousand discount .. I feel it is worth to have a CRDE SUV at around 7.00 Lakhs ..infact no other choice in that price range . [/COLOR]
Old 13th May 2010, 13:40   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind BS View Post
Hey i am having a Black bolero storm too .. with a an ODO of 7500 ..So far so good ..i find it more comfortable than my 2004 bolero sports X3DP. But for sure there are niggling problems and it is not a surprise to me since i was close to Indian manufactures like Mahindra & ambassador from 1996 ..
Congrats on the Storm! Why don't you start your ownership thread
Quote:
Water coming out of the A/C will make the person who sit on the front seat wet !!! I went to the ASC two times to fix it and observing for the latest results. I was having the same issue with my sports too .. Even after 6 years Mahnidra did not make any progress ..
I think you got me wrong. The water pipe I mentioned is at the bottom of the vehicle. The water comes out on the road . The design flaw is that the length of the pipe is not long enough for the water to fall directly on the ground. What you are talking is leakage from the cooling cool cover directly

Quote:
I bought the storm in 2009 December.. But my friend purchased one during March 2010 which i found as more defined ..a decent Kenwood system .(I got a scrap one ) .No A/C water leakage .. a steering wheel with a better grip .. more easier gear shifting .. and as last the price i got the bolero storm is 7.07 lakh on road in Bangalore ..And my friend bought it for nearly 7.2 on road from Sireesh auto.. we got around 60-70 thousand discount .. I feel it is worth to have a CRDE SUV at around 7.00 Lakhs ..infact no other choice in that price range . [/COLOR]
The Stock Kenwood HU is total cr*p. I removed and installed another Kenwood HU from my other car and its heaven compared compared to earlier. Now my speakers have started blasting so need to get them changed as well albeit under warranty

The way I have been getting things changed, looks like I'll have a totally new vehicle by the time the warranty ends.
Old 13th May 2010, 14:55   #297
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy Vey High Maintenance Cost

Just calculated my Maintenance Cost to be Rs 0.82/ Km which is very much on the higher side.
Name:  Bolero Expense.jpg
Views: 9400
Size:  101.7 KB
Old 13th May 2010, 15:06   #298
Team-BHP Support

Anirudh, without soundling like trying to rub salt into your grievously open wounds.

My Viva's maintenance cost is approximately the same ( Rs.22000 ++ to be precise) at odo reading of 53,000kms which make the maintenance cost stand at 0.40/km
Old 13th May 2010, 15:14   #299
Team-BHP Support

Whoa, thats one expensive car!
My expense on the safar at 45K is 0.68rs/km This does not include cost of tires and accessories fitted by me. If I count the 5000rs service coupon given to me by tata in lue of 1200 taxi expenses when I had to leave my vehicle overnight, it comes out even lower by a few paise/km

Note I went in for a totally unnecessary voluntary service at 7.5K which cost me around 3000rs
Old 13th May 2010, 15:28   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Anirudh, without soundling like trying to rub salt into your grievously open wounds.

My Viva's maintenance cost is approximately the same ( Rs.22000 ++ to be precise) at odo reading of 53,000kms which make the maintenance cost stand at 0.40/km
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Whoa, thats one expensive car!
My expense on the safar at 45K is 0.68rs/km This does not include cost of tires and accessories fitted by me. If I count the 5000rs service coupon given to me by tata in lue of 1200 taxi expenses when I had to leave my vehicle overnight, it comes out even lower by a few paise/km

Note I went in for a totally unnecessary voluntary service at 7.5K which cost me around 3000rs
Well, This is just after the 4th service which was done at 22750 Kms and the vehicle is supposed to go back for a full service again only at 40 K Kms. So taking it that way, the maintenance will come down to about 0.5 ~0.55 Re/Km

And I have not even counted all those small things that have been taken care in warranty

Atleast my Bolero is definitely not cheap on the pocket. Just hope that it stabilises soon.
Closed Thread