Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 20th June 2010, 19:15   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
BTW, A little birdie told me that the new Storm has better rear shock damping rates to take care of the uneasy feeling post 120 kph and braking . Can you confirm that please?
Headers, which birdie are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Slightly wrong mate. Chassis is also new

The ride quality with the new suspension is totally different. No bobbing or pitching. Over speed breakers or rough roads, it holds on its own. Haven't taken it upto 120 but I can safely vouch that ride quality is much better.
Milecruncher, is it the same shock absorber that I told you? Hope the springs are correct.

Spike
Old 20th June 2010, 20:28   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Milecruncher, is it the same shock absorber that I told you? Hope the springs are correct.

Spike
I hope so.

I always thought (courtesy the marketing brochure) that the VLX and SLX leafs are different. But yesterday was told by the ASC guys they are same and was re-confirmed by you. I was under the impression that the leaf springs in VLX was same as 1st gen Scorpio leafs.

I had passed the part no. to the local service head and he said he will arrange the parts for me. I hope they are the SLX shockers because there is absolutely no bouncing effect like before. Slightly harder setting which holds up quite well on corners as well as on braking.

Oh and on bad roads also they feel so much better. Not cushioning ride like before but definitely better .

Now the STORM is ready to come for EXAMM!!! (If only it had a 4X4)

P.S: While at the ASC I have spoken to the guys and hopefully get a XYLO ECM to test for a day or two. Lets see how it goes!

Last edited by MileCruncher : 20th June 2010 at 20:31.
Old 20th June 2010, 21:02   #318
Senior - BHPian

Just for information, Leaf spring for STORM and SLX is 0402AA0310N.

Spike

PS- Ani, you are coming for EXXAM on your STORM?
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:31   #319
Senior - BHPian

It's interesting to read your thread , Your Storm has left white elephant of Tanveer far behind in reclaiming the warranty.

I am sure if all the owners drive to places like you guys drive and reclaim manufacturers will be forced to up the QC seeing the reclamation costs.

As of today only a fraction of users use the vehicle thy purchase to full potential and looks it is cheaper to provide warranty then improve QC.
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:41   #320
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
The ride quality with the new suspension is totally different. No bobbing or pitching.
Quote:
But yesterday was told by the ASC guys they are same and was re-confirmed by you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Just for information, Leaf spring for STORM and SLX is 0402AA0310N.
Interesting, very interesting.

Spike: Would leafspring+dampers as above be a direct (or slight modification) fit on the 1st Gen Boleroes rear suspension?

Waiting impatiently for an answer.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:31   #321
Senior - BHPian

ani- I must say that you have got a great bargain in the Storm- for tehprice of one, you got one storm that you used pretty agressively, and it has been comletely renewed, refurbised effectively giving you a new car free of cost.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:36   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
ani- I must say that you have got a great bargain in the Storm
Did you try and account for th stress levels and time spend in the garage to get everything done as required?

Buying a car by paying for it from your hard earned money and then noticing issues on it is one of the most painful experiences.

Its not like he dropped it from a cliff and asked for a replacement.

If a car can fail on so many counts so many times it needs to be sorted. There are many who wouldnt have bothered to the extent the OP here has.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:38   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ani- I must say that you have got a great bargain in the Storm- for tehprice of one, you got one storm that you used pretty agressively, and it has been comletely renewed, refurbised effectively giving you a new car free of cost.
Yes, Ani being the quintessential marketing & deal making guy, found a "Buy 1 get 1 offer" that even Mahindra did not know about. Guess it pays to sign up on upto75 dot com.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:52   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
It's interesting to read your thread , Your Storm has left white elephant of Tanveer far behind in reclaiming the warranty.

I am sure if all the owners drive to places like you guys drive and reclaim manufacturers will be forced to up the QC seeing the reclamation costs.

As of today only a fraction of users use the vehicle thy purchase to full potential and looks it is cheaper to provide warranty then improve QC.
I think Indian manufacturers really need to think in terms of Total Cost of a Vehicle. But with the warranties either being passed on vendor or onto Insurance, manufacturers couldn't be too much bothered about QC. Might sound strange but the cost of producing a component to tight tolerances is much more costlier than just paying warranty on failed parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Interesting, very interesting.

Spike: Would leafspring+dampers as above be a direct (or slight modification) fit on the 1st Gen Boleroes rear suspension?

Waiting impatiently for an answer.
I think you straight away fight them in your Bolero as chassis for old and new gen Bolero ( not VLX) are same.
Quote:
Himanshu bhai, I'm in the same position as you were with your Safari. You decided to give up on it but I have decided to live with it and get everything fixed as I haven't yet found a suitable replacement for the STORM, may be the THAR. And once the problems are identified, they have been rectified for good. Thankfully M&M takes care of its customers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Did you try and account for th stress levels and time spend in the garage to get everything done as required?

Buying a car by paying for it from your hard earned money and then noticing issues on it is one of the most painful experiences.

Its not like he dropped it from a cliff and asked for a replacement.

If a car can fail on so many counts so many times it needs to be sorted. There are many who wouldnt have bothered to the extent the OP here has.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Yes, Ani being the quintessential marketing & deal making guy, found a "Buy 1 get 1 offer" that even Mahindra did not know about. Guess it pays to sign up on upto75 dot com.
LOL what can I say Ravvs
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:57   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you straight away fight them in your Bolero as chassis for old and new gen Bolero ( not VLX) are same.
So the mounting points are the same for the VLX and SLX though the chassis is different?

Hmm... if its so. I need to peek under an SLX, pronto.

My 1 lakh kms run Bolero is squeaking like crazy.
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:17   #326
BHPian

Quote:
I hope they are the SLX shockers because there is absolutely no bouncing effect like before. Slightly harder setting which holds up quite well on corners as well as on braking
I'm impressed enough! I've got to get me a couple of them SLX shockers as well.

Quote:
get a XYLO ECM to test for a day or two. Lets see how it goes!
That's it?!! Just plonk a XYLO ECM in the storm and get more grunt instantly? Woo-hoo! Super-duper. Seems like a much more cheaper option than getting the Pete's box.
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:09   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
That's it?!! Just plonk a XYLO ECM in the storm and get more grunt instantly? Woo-hoo! Super-duper. Seems like a much more cheaper option than getting the Pete's box.
Get a XYLO ECU, 4.33 Diff ratio and run 16 in Tyres and you have a SCORPIO!!
Old 26th July 2010, 22:48   #328
Senior - BHPian

Default Hella

I use the Storm for a lot of night driving on the highways and the the headlight leaves a lot to be desired especially in terms of straight line coverage. During the Ladakh trip, had seen Hella 700FF on a Scorpio and had liked the straight line beam. Had been planning to get them fitted but always something or the other kept coming up.

That is till 18th July when a chance browsing of rahulk76's Safari ownership thread opened up that opportunity. Rahul pad picked a paid of Hella 500FF from Reliance Automart in Pune for 80% discount i.e. Rs 792/- for pair.

An immediate PM and a return call by Rahul in the afternoon fixed the deal. He blocked my set on Monday (undestand mine was the last piece).

Finally it landed at my doorstep today and I couldn't control myself from getting them fitted immediately.

Few pictures:
Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_0160.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_0164.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_0166.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_0167.jpg

Again many thanks to Rahul, without whom this wouldn't have been possible
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2010, 11:31   #329
Senior - BHPian

MC---those are a helluva good lot of Hellas! Should do you good when you crunch more miles in the night.
Old 27th July 2010, 16:14   #330
BHPian

Super cool MC!! Those Hellas have completely transformed the front view of the storm. Your storm looks more business-like (meaning it looks more like a serious milecruncher) now. How have you wired them up? Are they operated with the same switch you have for those bumper fogs? Also, I was wondering if these can be linked to operate with the light dipper controls? Imagine the shock of some stubborn folks in front of you, when you signal them to move over with the Hellas.
Closed Thread