Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 20th November 2013, 19:47   #166
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A shorter side profile should make it un-comfortable ..
+1 to this. On my older 99 model Maruti Zen, it was having 13" rim with low profile tyres. The model that came after that came with 12" rim and higher profile tyres. The difference in ride comfort was very noticeable. I changed the profile the same way on my zen ( ie, to 12" alloys + higher profile ), and the driving comfort increased many fold. It did not grip on to the road as it used to after the change in profile. But, the difference was marginal, and the compromise was worth for the kind of comfort it offered. And in most practical driving conditions, the grip is adequate as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANNURAN View Post
Thank you so, somuch, Amalji. I want to leave tomorrow early morning from Calicut and can reach Kochi by about 1:00. I know well, Autoteam would need to check the vehicle before they advise how long the repair would take, but would be great if you could please use your contacts to hasten the repair and get me returning in a day.

I await your valued revert so that I can start tomorrow. Once again, MANY THANKS!!!!
I just talked with the Director of Autoteam - Rajan Varghese. He asked me to call him, when you reach the service center and that he'll give it high priority. But, he also mentioned - "whether the problem can be solved in a day is dependent on the nature of the issue." So, he is not in a position to give a commitment on that.

Now, other tips regarding your journey.
  • I would recommend that you start early ( before 4am ). That will help you drive easily without any traffic and you should reach Kochi before 8 am.
  • In case, you need to stay for a day, feel free to call me. You can stay in my apartment.

Last edited by GTO : 21st November 2013 at 15:21. Reason: Merging back to back posts
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 13:12   #167
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update

Quote:
I want to leave tomorrow early morning from Calicut and can reach Kochi by about 1:00. I know well, Autoteam would need to check the vehicle before they advise how long the repair would take, but would be great if you could please use your contacts to hasten the repair and get me returning in a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I just talked with the Director of Autoteam - Rajan Varghese. He asked me to call him, when you reach the service center and that he'll give it high priority.
Our phone conversation refers. Hope, your problem is now completely resolved by Autoteam people. Do give us an update on the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
And I was advised a timing chain replacement at 90K kms! My car is at ~83K kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
WHAT ? These timing chains last the life time of an engine. Unless of course they start making a noise, you ll have to replace it, not otherwise. My Swift D is now at 85 thousand km and I don't plan to touch anything which is working fine because you never know what these MASS guys end up messing. In sorting one thing out, they ll spoil another 2.

Go to a competent MASS, ask them to apply the special grease inside the damper and then adjust it. The noise will be gone.
I had a conversation with Autoteam director on the timing Chain issue on DDiS ( Swift as well as SX4 ). He mentioned that even though timing chains are meant to last the life time of the vehicle, he has seen such issues very rarely where a timing chain replacement is needed. The root cause being timing chain lengthening by about 5 mm. He said that the timing chain replacement had to be done at 60,000 kms for one of the SX4 that comes for service there. Remember, this is just a ONE OFF case, not the norm!

The symptom is lack of pulling. And the problem can be confirmed by checking the timing of the vehicle.

I asked him for the reason as to why this would happen. He mentioned that it happens very rarely and it can happen only if we are too harsh on the vehicle. Like releasing clutch fast and giving high throttle during clutch release.

Last edited by amalji : 23rd November 2013 at 13:16.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 13:34   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update

Quote:
...The symptom is lack of pulling. And the problem can be confirmed by checking the timing of the vehicle.

I asked him for the reason as to why this would happen. He mentioned that it happens very rarely and it can happen only if we are too harsh on the vehicle. Like releasing clutch fast and giving high throttle during clutch release.
I am quite inclined to give the car for 90K service to Auto Team. I have read so much about them thru you. Let me see whether I can find some time. Not that AVG is bad, still wanna try Auto team just to see their work commitment.

I am expecting some replacements though. I don't have the same vigorous turbo thrust in my car as it used to.

Edit:: Since this is a MASS, I can expect similar charges too right?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd November 2013 at 13:51.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 14:15   #169
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update

Quote:
I am quite inclined to give the car for 90K service to Auto Team. I have read so much about them thru you. Let me see whether I can find some time. Not that AVG is bad, still wanna try Auto team just to see their work commitment.
The positives of Autoteam are
  • High on work ethic.
  • One of those rare service centers which tries to fix complicated problems rather than just replace. ( latest example being @KANNURAN where they avoided a replacement that could have costed 29kand fixed it for under 2k )
  • A passionate director who is genuinely interested in automobiles. So, more than the money he earns, he loves fixing an old car.
  • They take ownership of any issue on a Maruti and try to solve it as if it's their own car.
But, at the same time, if you expect a very professional approach ( like getting the car back on time ), you might be disappointed at times. This is one negative I always accept from autoteam because the positives they provide are more important for me.

Quote:
Edit:: Since this is a MASS, I can expect similar charges too right?
Replacement costs should be similar. But, labour might be different. And they might help you avoid certain replacements.

Last edited by amalji : 23rd November 2013 at 14:16.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 03:03   #170
BHPian

Quote:

My Swift Vdi 2008Dec has done 58K. At approx 50K, I noted a clunk-clunk from the steering column, when the car hits a rough (gravel) patch (not necessarily a pothole) . MASS suggested replacing the steering assembly for 28K which I did not do. Instead, I got both front strut+strut assemblies + stabilizer links changed, which reduced the noise and increased ride comfort.
The noise persists and is getting worse, but please note, the noise manifests ONLY when I hit a rough patch with the steering at a slight left turn position (10' O Clock' orientation). I request your valued advise.
The sound can be from the ball-joints, the stabiliser links and yes the steering box. Since you have replaced the stabiliser links I think that is covered. A steering overhaul may also help where they overhaul the steering box and replace bushes and reduce the play in the box.

since you are getting this noise primarily when you turn your wheel chances are that a joint is involved rather than you damper units. Between hope you've got this problem looked at by now. Let us know what fixed the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
WHAT ? These timing chains last the life time of an engine. Unless of course they start making a noise, you ll have to replace it, not otherwise. My Swift D is now at 85 thousand km and I don't plan to touch anything which is working fine because you never know what these MASS guys end up messing. In sorting one thing out, they ll spoil another 2.
The Fiat Punto does have a replacement schedule for the MJD timing chains. However Maruti does not have it and generally advices it's workshops to replace if the noise increases. It is a labor intensive job and involve taking the engine out for access to the chain since the cover is blocked by one of the engine mounts. Labor and chain included was quoted to me as 5k. That was around 20k back and I haven't replaced the chain yet.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 26th November 2013 at 03:06.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 12:43   #171

Quote:
The positives of Autoteam are
  • High on work ethic.
  • One of those rare service centers which tries to fix complicated problems rather than just replace. ( latest example being @KANNURAN where they avoided a replacement that could have costed 29kand fixed it for under 2k )
  • A passionate director who is genuinely interested in automobiles. So, more than the money he earns, he loves fixing an old car.
  • They take ownership of any issue on a Maruti and try to solve it as if it's their own car.
But, at the same time, if you expect a very professional approach ( like getting the car back on time ), you might be disappointed at times. This is one negative I always accept from autoteam because the positives they provide are more important for me.
Passionate, Professional and Reasonable. Those words summarize my experience at Autoteam-Kochi.
Thanks to Amalji for routing me to them. Even when describing the problem to Mr. Rajan over the phone, he diagnosed the issue and scheduled my vehicle.
The steering clunk-clunk noise is largely gone, after the machined bushing was fitted on. A full steering replacement would have cost me 28K+ and I ended up spending 2.1K.

My take-away from this episode extends beyond the money I saved. Here is Team-BHP'ian AMALJI, going out of his way to coordinate with the AUTOTEAM-KOCHI guys and even offering me an overnight stay in his apartment (please note, we had not know each other at all). And the "Enthusiast's" at AUTOTEAM-Kochi, in the clarity they presented and their being able to "walk the talk" in getting my swift back to proper fit. Thank you, AMALJI, thank you, Rajan, Vinay and Anshad from Autoteam-Kochi.

I shall have a life-long camaraderie with them and will religiously drive 200Km to Autoteam-Kochi, every time I need to get my Swift serviced.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd December 2013 at 15:29. Reason: Fixing quote
KANNURAN is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 21:25   #172
BHPian

Got a Bosch cabin air filter for the Swift. Cost me 690 rupees. An activated carbon version was available for 1300 rupees but I decided to try out the standard cabin filter.

shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-20131212-19.48.30.jpg

My Swift never had a cabin air filter so far. I rarely use fresh air mode.

A recent pic of the car at around 140000km. Tried out a Sonax polish which gave me pretty good results.
shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-20130727-16.33.25.jpg

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 21:42   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Got a Bosch cabin air filter for the Swift. Cost me 690 rupees. An activated carbon version was available for 1300 rupees but I decided to try out the standard cabin filter.

My Swift never had a cabin air filter so far. I rarely use fresh air mode.

A recent pic of the car at around 140000km. Tried out a Sonax polish which gave me pretty good results.

Drive on,
Shibu.
How old is the car buddy?

The MGA cabin filter costs Rs. 350.

How does the AC feel now?

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 09:14   #174
BHPian

I am going through a strange problem with my dzire zdi. For last two months at around 2200 rpm a loud hissing (air blowing) sound is coming alongwith black smoke some time.
Taken the car to ASS multiple times and they checked all hose turbo oil separator clutch intercooler but couldnt find the reason. No error shown on SDT either.
Any pointer?
sinhsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 09:21   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhsha View Post
I am going through a strange problem with my dzire zdi. For last two months at around 2200 rpm a loud hissing (air blowing) sound is coming alongwith black smoke some time.
Taken the car to ASS multiple times and they checked all hose turbo oil separator clutch intercooler but couldnt find the reason. No error shown on SDT either.
Any pointer?
If black smoke is the problem then check the Air filter as it could be clogged. Try changing it and if the problem persists then ask the engineer to look into the fueling pattern as it could be rich.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 04:08   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Any pointer?
Any loss in power felt? There is usually a hiss associated with the turbo operating but it is relatively soft and you need to pay reasonable attention to hear it. A reason for black smoke can be a clogged EGR. Try cleaning you EGR valve and see if that improves things. I assume that the black smoke is coming from the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How old is the car buddy?
The car is around 5.5 years old - May 2008 model. AC operation does not seem to be particularly impacted with the new cabin filter - dust seems to be much less now.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 19th December 2013 at 04:11.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 07:48   #177
BHPian

Quote:

Shibu.
Wow extremely well maintained, can't believe that it has completed 140000 kms.
B747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 13:14   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Any loss in power felt? There is usually a hiss associated with the turbo operating but it is relatively soft and you need to pay reasonable attention to hear it. A reason for black smoke can be a clogged EGR. Try cleaning you EGR valve and see if that improves things. I assume that the black smoke is coming from the exhaust. The car is around 5.5 years old - May 2008 model. AC operation does not seem to be particularly impacted with the new cabin filter - dust seems to be much less now. Drive on, Shibu.
~ Posting on behalf of a friend (an avid reader of tbhp)

Appreciate response to the points asked!!
---
Vehicle – SWIFT VDi
ODO – 1,10,000 km

Planning to do a suspension overhaul due to the deterioration in ride quality and excessive noise from the front side of the car on bumpy roads.
MASS had earlier recommended a suspension and "steering box" overhaul during the previous periodic service. The SA, at that time was unable to give the specifics of what all components of the suspension needs to be changed or was he referring to a full suspension set up change. The same goes with the steering part – didn't quite explain what he meant by the steering box (He suggested this work, pointing to a particular rattling noise when the car rides on bad roads – I fact he also went ahead suggesting a replacement for this unit costing around 25k).

Has someone here gone through the same issue and what exactly was done as a remedy?
For suspension related work, what are the components that are typically replaced in such cases considering the ODO reading ?
I have been covering a very bad stretch of 2km on a daily basis for the past 20k kms and the issue became terribly worse after this.
For the "steering box" is there no option to overhaul it – I do not face any other issue with the steering, it's still precise and gives no other issues whatsoever.
---

Wishing a very happy new year to all ..! :-) )
ThePunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 17:36   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got a Bosch cabin air filter for the Swift. Cost me 690 rupees. An activated carbon version was available for 1300 rupees but I decided to try out the standard cabin filter...
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
...The MGA cabin filter costs Rs. 350...
What is the replacement interval for this? Also, does it prevent pulling up leaves / paper when the circulation mode is changed to fresh air? My dad accidentally keeps switching this mode on.

Quote:
Taken the car to ASS multiple times and they checked all hose turbo oil separator clutch intercooler but couldnt find the reason...
How much has the car run? To me, black smoke can be a reason as extra oil would have gone into the intercooler. Get it cleaned and the power issue also will be taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
~ Posting on behalf of a friend (an avid reader of tbhp)

Appreciate response to the points asked!!
---
Vehicle – SWIFT VDi
ODO – 1,10,000 km

Planning to do a suspension overhaul due to the deterioration in ride quality and excessive noise from the front side of the car on bumpy roads.
MASS had earlier recommended a suspension and "steering box" overhaul during the previous periodic service....
Has someone here gone through the same issue and what exactly was done as a remedy?
For suspension related work, what are the components that are typically replaced in such cases considering the ODO reading ?...
I think changing the bushes for suspension & steering should take care of this. I had my bushes replaced for the last 2 services (yearly) and details could be found there, towards the end of the thread. Could you check it out please? You could search for "SwiftnFurious' Swift VDi ABS...."
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 17:54   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is the replacement interval for this? Also, does it prevent pulling up leaves / paper when the circulation mode is changed to fresh air? My dad accidentally keeps switching this mode on.
Funniest part is the filter never existed in my car. When I saw it here in Team-BHP, I asked my SA so he added in my car.

AFAIK, the replacement is 20K kms or 40K kms.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote