Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th September 2011, 22:06   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My evergreen Swift even after 60K

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Sorry for a late reply. Of late I've been thinking about the same too. I think my car being a little over 3 years old and having done close to a lakh kilometers now should be worth around 3 - 3.5 lakhs. Your's would be close to 4 i guess. Again you are actually saving on every km you drive after 50k because by then you have broken even the extra cost you paid to buy a diesel v/s the petrol.

Of course the resale goes down the more kms you put on it. But if you maintain it well and look after it you can get a very decent price.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Actually i broke even in march 2011 itself ,so ive been saving for the past 6 months
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 11:11   #122
BHPian

Default re: shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update

The Swift has completed 1,00,000 kms. Been a month or so now.

The run up from 90k to 100k has been eventful.

1 lakh Service

Outside regular service, the complaints I had was a humming noise from the wheels. This was traced to a wheel bearing compliant and the bearing replaced.

Another complaint was sluggish pickup at low rpms. This merited an EGR cleaning which improved the pickup a lot.

Oil filter, oil change and fuel filter replacement were DIY affairs. Paid service, brake service were the notable additions.

Will hunt up the service charges for the two visits. But everything came up to approximately 6k.

Tyre Replacement
On my third set of tyres. I was able to extend the life of the Bridgestone Potenza to 50k this time. Usually I got a life of 40k. Replacement came in at 90k

Unavailability of 205 R14 Potenzas saw me move over to Yokohoma ES100 205/60 R14. After 10k my impression of the Yokos has been good. The tyres seem to be softer than the Potenzas which take the hard edge of potholes at low speed. The Potenzas seem to "give" less under hard cornering and aggressive changes of direction. The Yokos reward a fast, smooth style more. I pretty happy with the Yokos.

They also give the car a different look. The Yokos are more square shouldered compared to the Potenzas with are have rounded shoulders. The Yokos also have a lip that protects the alloy rim better.

Cost - around 17k for a set of 4.

A crash

During a night drive, a U turn by an auto from the extreme left in front of a slow moving car that I was overtaking, saw me in my first major crash in the swift. Luckily the damage to the Swift was cosmetic and no damage to the auto or it's occupants. Front left fender, bumper and left headlight replacement reduce the weight of my wallet by 11k. With and eye on no claim bonus and depreciation of a 3 year old car, I decided not to go for an insurance claim.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:53   #123
Senior - BHPian

good going. i always thought the yoko's never showed their width. The 195 A drive on my adventure looked much more punny than the 195 michellins.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 02:10   #124
BHPian

Here are a few pictures of my G-Sport seat covers. I am pretty happy by the way they have held up for the last 70k kms. Been around two and a half years now.

I got them installed them after removing the standard fabric seat covers. There is very little that can beat the fit of the factory fit but these came pretty close by my expectation.

Maintenance is easy - some upholstery cleaner, a quick scrub and wipe off with a dry cloth.

shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-20120310-11.01.27.jpg
The g-Sport logo is discreet but classy.

shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-20120310-11.00.41.jpg
front seats

shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-20120310-11.01.06.jpg
rear seats

shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-20120310-11.02.41.jpg
Driver's seat

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 23:12   #125
BHPian

Default Oil Change

Odometer read out - 109856kms

Gave the car an oil change. Replaced the oil filter as well. I also carried out an engine flush before replacing the oil.

3 litres Mobil delvac MX - 850/-
Swift diesel oil filter - 376/-
Cyclo Oil Flush - 200/-

Total : 1426/-

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 06:56   #126
BHPian

Good writeup. Thanks. I must say that my swift d, has so far (knock on wood) given little to no issues either. it is about to do it's 80,000th km and so far it's been a good experience. However I don't think mine is giving me the kind of mileage that yours is. Perhaps it's got to do with the shorter trips that we do.
What I like the most is the sheer practicality of this car. And the fact that the diesel motor's torquey feel makes city driving a real hoot.

Honestly, I can't think of a better vehicle for the indian driving condition.
Zkalra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 20:24   #127
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Oil Change

Quote:

Gave the car an oil change. Replaced the oil filter as well. I also carried out an engine flush before replacing the oil.
Shibu, fantastic long term ownership review, loved reading every post of yours. Your car has been doing exceptionally well. Except for some minor hiccups you didn't have any major issues (touchwood). Couple of pages back (I guess around the 70K mark) you mentioned that your maintenance expenses were around Rs 0.40 per km, that is quite impressive. I would like to know that after your 109K kms service where do your maintenance costs stand?

I am particularly interested in knowing this because just yesterday I did the 110K service of my Indica DLX. Mine is a July 2004 model & twice the age of your car (this July it would be completing 8 years). You have munched the miles twice the speed of mine. My maintenance expenses as on date stand at Rs 0.74 per km (I have included the tyre costs in this) but excluded the tinkering & denting/painting jobs which I had to get them done due to minor scratches/dents etc. Just in case you are interested in knowing my long term ownership experience with my car, you can visit my thread over here --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-beyond.html
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 00:59   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra View Post
Honestly, I can't think of a better vehicle for the indian driving condition.
+1 to that. Thanks for the comments and great to know you are enjoying your experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Shibu, fantastic long term ownership review, loved reading every post of yours. Your car has been doing exceptionally well. Except for some minor hiccups you didn't have any major issues (touchwood). Couple of pages back (I guess around the 70K mark) you mentioned that your maintenance expenses were around Rs 0.40 per km, that is quite impressive. I would like to know that after your 109K kms service where do your maintenance costs stand?
Thanks. Regarding the maintenance since 90k I have spent around 7k till now pending the 110,000 service. Pending complaints include a leak around the EGR, a busted Water In Fuel sensor both of which I expect to put me back around 2500 rupees.

This would bring the total service costs to around 48k. This does not include the cost of tyres and tyre maintenance (30k for two sets - the car has never been drivens on the stock size and tyre alignment 200 rupees every 5k(alignment only) and 500(rotation, balancing and alignment) rupees every 10k. Including these would bring the cost to around 98k for 110000km a cost of 90ps per km.

I love putting the miles on my cars and hope to have a trouble free long term ownership experience in the years to come.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 08:18   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This would bring the total service costs to around 48k. This does not include the cost of tyres and tyre maintenance (30k for two sets - the car has never been drivens on the stock size and tyre alignment 200 rupees every 5k(alignment only) and 500(rotation, balancing and alignment) rupees every 10k. Including these would bring the cost to around 98k for 110000km a cost of 90ps per km.
Thanks for sharing that. The maintenance costs are quite reasonable. Rs 500 for (rotation, balancing and alignment) every 10K seems to be on the higher side. Why do you need balancing every 10K. I have done the balancing only at the time of fitting new tyres, never after that, as balancing once done does not get disturbed (unless there is some tyre/wheel damage). I too get the alignment done at every 10K kms (Rs 200/-) or as need be. Tyre rotation done at every 10K service (religiously)

Quote:
I love putting the miles on my cars and hope to have a trouble free long term ownership experience in the years to come.
Drive on, Shibu.
Same here. Wishing you a very happy & trouble free long term ownership experience with your car, happy munching (s)miles.
Old 26th April 2012, 08:50   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

3 litres Mobil delvac MX - 850/-
Swift diesel oil filter - 376/-
Cyclo Oil Flush - 200/-

Total : 1426/-

Drive on,
Shibu
Why Maruti sells a lot is coz of this, cheaper bills! Do you do the flush now and then?

Mobil from the shop @ Pongumoodu?

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that. The maintenance costs are quite reasonable. Rs 500 for (rotation, balancing and alignment) every 10K seems to be on the higher side. Why do you need balancing every 10K. I have done the balancing only at the time of fitting new tyres, never after that, as balancing once done does not get disturbed (unless there is some tyre/wheel damage). I too get the alignment done at every 10K kms (Rs 200/-) or as need be. Tyre rotation done at every 10K service (religiously)

Just for comparison; Honda guys charge 750rs for tire work (for City)!

And its good to go the rotation, balancing and alignment since you might
  • have driven across bad roads,
  • flown over humps
  • they can check tire's wear and tear
  • which will tell us if suspension is good etc.
  • And, all tires wear out evenly.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 00:28   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Do you do the flush now and then?
Usually every 50k or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Mobil from the shop @ Pongumoodu?
Yup - the same.

Quote:
I am using unidirectional ES100s from Yokohoma. Since they have a directional rotation pattern we cannot simply take the front left and put it on the rear right. The rotation direction would be wrong.

The tyre has to be taken off the rim, flipped and put back on so that the previous inside becomes the outside. Now putting the left front tyre on the right hand side would not mess up the rotational direction.

Balancing is required after this procedure. Also sometimes the weight drop off. I usually get an alignment done every 5k - just alignment - no flipping and rotation as detailed above.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 27th April 2012, 09:45   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am using unidirectional ES100s from Yokohoma. Since they have a directional rotation pattern we cannot simply take the front left and put it on the rear right. The rotation direction would be wrong.

The tyre has to be taken off the rim, flipped and put back on so that the previous inside becomes the outside. Now putting the left front tyre on the right hand side would not mess up the rotational direction.

Balancing is required after this procedure. Also sometimes the weight drop off. I usually get an alignment done every 5k - just alignment - no flipping and rotation as detailed above.
Thanks for that clarification. Now I understand why you need to pay Rs 500/- for rotation, balancing, alignment etc @ every 10K kms. You are right, if you are unmounting the tyre from the rim & then mounting it again, it calls for balancing. I was not aware that you are on uni-directional tyres. This is a new learning for me, tyre rotation is not that simple for unidirectional tyres. I am sure you won't be following this cumbersome process unless there is some merit in using unidirectional tyres, could you please elaborate on that?
Old 28th April 2012, 09:06   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Shibu.
Are you sure. Where ever the tyre is paced the "Outside" would be "Outside". I dont think you can remove the tyre from the rim an flip it on a unidirectional tyre.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 10:07   #134
BHPian

Quote:
This is a new learning for me, tyre rotation is not that simple for unidirectional tyres. I am sure you won't be following this cumbersome process unless there is some merit in using unidirectional tyres, could you please elaborate on that?
Uni-directional tyres are usually oriented towards providing better performance in terms of grips and road holding. This may come at the expense of tyre noise and ride comfort. In real life conditions they allow you to hold better speed through corners and have stiffer sidewalls which flex less. Braking performance also increases due to better grip conditions. But as you see, they call for greater maintenance and care. They are also more expensive than the regular tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Are you sure. Where ever the tyre is paced the "Outside" would be "Outside". I dont think you can remove the tyre from the rim an flip it on a unidirectional tyre.
Such markings are for tyres that have an asymmetric tread pattern. Here are a couple of related threads

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...html#post58622 (Directional Tyres / Asymmetrical Tyres ?)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...tml#post463668 (ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car)

Directional tyres have a constraint on the dirrection of rotation of the tyre. This is so that the full benefit of the tyre design can be exploited. A directional tyre rotating in the wrong direction may not be very effective at reducing aqua planing for instance. So these tyres have to be flipped around on the rim to mount them on the opposite side of the car. They have a rotational indicator on the sidewall of the tyre.

Tread patterns can be symmetric or asymmetric. Asymmetric tyres have different tread patterns on the inside and outside. But they can be put on either side of the car as long as the side marked "outside" faces out.

The tyres I use are symmetric, unidirectional tyres. So the only constraint is in direction of rotation. Either side of the tyre can face out.

Now a tyre can be asymmetric and directional. Such tyres can be mounted only on one side of the car. These usually are used for high performance cars like Porsches. So if the left front wears out - you would need to specifically order a left tyre. If the tyre size is different for the front and back - you would be ordering a left front tyre.You can imagine the headache and the cost of maintaining these tyres.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 29th April 2012 at 10:16.
Old 13th May 2012, 10:33   #135
BHPian

hey shibu Ji

have you used purolator oil filter in your swift diesel? i have heard is just 200 rupees when compared to MASS oil filter which is 370 rupees now
Crazy4.Cars is offline   Reply With Quote