Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 8th February 2012, 09:14   #136
BHPian

Default Re: 6 years with a hot hatch

Hi TheMag, thanks for sharing your experience.

My Swift Zdi is due for its 10000kms service in a few weeks. I want to get the normal engine oil changed to Synthetic Oil. Please suggest which one should I go for Mobil1 or any other.

Also apart from that, what other additives / oil should I use for enhancing the performance other than the ones that MSIL Service people generally use. Though the car is running butter smooth and has no issue at all.
ankurvirmani19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 10:52   #137
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Excellent. I loved to follow your thread and post 2010, lost the action felt you no longer own it. Its a rare phenomenon to hear about petrol Swifts on team-bhp.

Glad to see you still in love with her. i am also very happy with my 5 year old Swift petrol(2007,vxi). Absolutely no problems apart from the usual wear and tear parts.

Only difference is, my car is stock VXI. 5 years and 40K kms on stock JK tornado's, no alloys, once a year service interval, regular MGA servo Engine oil. Its a real Gem.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 17:32   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19 View Post

My Swift Zdi is due for its 10000kms service in a few weeks. I want to get the normal engine oil changed to Synthetic Oil. Please suggest which one should I go for Mobil1 or any other.

Also apart from that, what other additives / oil should I use for enhancing the performance other than the ones that MSIL Service people generally use. Though the car is running butter smooth and has no issue at all.
Engine oil - since your's is a diesel, any CJ/CH grade synthetic oil should work. Not sure if Mobil1 is directly portable for diesel use. Please check its grade. General suggestion is to verify the grade personally rather than relying on the company's marketing speak.

A useful link: Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

Additives: None. Since you mention your car is running smooth, lets not change that. Quite a few modern common rail diesels have a problem with fuel additives. Once in 40K kms, an engine decarb at the service center will help/suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Excellent. I loved to follow your thread and post 2010, lost the action felt you no longer own it. Its a rare phenomenon to hear about petrol Swifts on team-bhp.
No chance! I cant even get myself to see a tiny scratch on the car - let alone forget her! Its just that 2010-2011 was a particularly distracting time for me due to a job change.

In fact, now that she's fully back on her feet with the coils packs changed, planning a photoshoot in the near future.

Last edited by theMAG : 8th February 2012 at 17:33.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 22:28   #139
Team-BHP Support

This weekend presented a last-minute decided drive to Pondy for my wife and I. This would be the first time after the coil packs replacement that my Swift would be taken out for a highway sprint. And man, did she give meaning to the phrase "trial by fire"! She ran brilliantly, the throttle was extremely responsive and she flew all the way. In fact, on the return drive today, I drove continuously for close to 6 hours and she responded with utter impunity at the distance. R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

Time for a much deserved beauty treatment for her at Sai Colorium this week.
Old 8th March 2012, 10:45   #140
Team-BHP Support

Got the radiator overhauled over the past few days.

Last evening, Vikram_D and I were talking; he was exploring the feasibility of a Cosworth remap for his Mondeo; and that restarted a thought process I had sat on for some time now.

Its been a while since the last set of performance upgrades were done to my car. And I was contemplating something along the lines of a remap for my car as well. I love seamless performance upgrades since I am the fill-it-shut-it-forget-it type.

So lets see where this option of a Cosworth remap leads me if its found feasible.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 15:08   #141
Senior - BHPian

no swift remaps available at the moment from coswroth
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 11:27   #142
Team-BHP Support

Yeah. I got to know the sad news. How did your Mondeo's remap go?

On another note, the 2nd of my HID bulbs reached its end-of-life. Having experienced/understood that its nigh impossible to obtain exact replacements, I switched over to Philips Xtreme Power 100% 55/60W halogens last night. Although they represent an advanced version over a regular bulb, I am very disappointed-being used to the HIDs lighting.
Old 5th May 2012, 09:21   #143
Team-BHP Support

Finally, just short of 6 years of flawless performance, and at home, the OEM battery breathed its last. Got it replaced with another Amaron 4 year warranty battery costing 3.8K after exchange.
Old 7th May 2012, 06:20   #144
Team-BHP Support

Mahesh, good to read about the regular updates regarding your Swift. 6 years on the OEM battery is praiseworthy, and good choice on the replacement battery as well.

What's the current odometer reading like?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 06:44   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
Finally, just short of 6 years of flawless performance, and at home, the OEM battery breathed its last. Got it replaced with another Amaron 4 year warranty battery costing 3.8K after exchange.
Omg, luck you Mag.
6 yrs on oem battery, please share the secret. What make was it ?

My swift D battery will die in another week or two, that would make the oem battery life 2.5 yrs.
New battery 3 yrs one would cost me 5.3k and 5 yrs one would cost me 9k.Both amaron.
So this is one area where swift P is easier on the pocket.
F150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 07:42   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
6 yrs on oem battery, please share the secret.
I think it is possible, even without additional maintenance. Regular use of vehicle required. If the vehicle will not be used for longer periods, then disconnect it.

My OE Standard Furukawa in the Sumo did last only 4 years. It would have lasted much longer if I had not left the Sumo standing for upto 4-5 weeks at a stretch, about 3-4 times. My current battery is also having issues due to extended non-usage.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 12:41   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Mahesh, good to read about the regular updates regarding your Swift. 6 years on the OEM battery is praiseworthy, and good choice on the replacement battery as well.

What's the current odometer reading like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Omg, luck you Mag.
6 yrs on oem battery, please share the secret. What make was it ?
Sorry gents. For some reason missed this - by a few months!

No secret- just regular usage. Those Amaron maintenance free batteries really seems to work. The mileage on the car must have been around 65K kms during the change.

On another note, finished the car's 70K kms service, replete with a suspension overhaul. Thanks to condor for providing a source for "affordable" Mobil1.

Now, her tyre change is coming up over the next < 3000 kms and I was also planning on getting the wheels changed. What is a nice set of (preferably deep-dish) wheels that can be recommended?
Old 28th September 2012, 13:22   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
What is a nice set of (preferably deep-dish) wheels that can be recommended?
How about these? This is my bro's ride. The other alloys with smaller deep dish is my ride.
Attached Thumbnails
6 years with a hot hatch-dsc01942.jpg  

6 years with a hot hatch-dsc01943.jpg  

6 years with a hot hatch-dsc01944.jpg  

6 years with a hot hatch-dsc01945.jpg  

6 years with a hot hatch-dsc01950.jpg  

6 years with a hot hatch-dsc01956.jpg  

6 years with a hot hatch-img_0897.jpg  

6 years with a hot hatch-img_0898.jpg  

naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote