Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 20th June 2011, 15:54   #271
BHPian

Default re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Well, thanks GC, I think I need to get the air filter cleaned and all check the spark plugs as I do feel some hesitation at higher revs. Its like the car just stops for a mili second and then starts acceleration again...
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 17:21   #272
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Checked engine oil after a forth night today, it still looks in its best shape even after 7k kms. Though it has gone one shade darker. Also, needed to top up the oil. Added about 400ml to bring it to the optimum level. I am now having a feeling if there is something with synthetic oil that it gets less. Polo too needs topping up of 500 ml in about 6-7k kms. But still, 400ml in 7k kms with frequent high revving is not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Well, thanks GC, I think I need to get the air filter cleaned and all check the spark plugs as I do feel some hesitation at higher revs. Its like the car just stops for a mili second and then starts acceleration again...
Ya, can definitely be injectors and spark plugs, both can be cleaned. Should cost about 850 for injector cleaning (getting it opened and clean), or 820 for injector cleaning by additive in fuel.

I personally prefer getting injectors opened and getting them clean. Shows exact condition of injectors. Plan to get it done along with accelerator wire, in couple of days. My car's Injectors have never been cleaned ever.

You can also get the spark plugs changed, shouldnt need replacement at 20k.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:38   #273
Senior - BHPian

The 'default' spark plugs are iridium ones. They are supposed to last 1 lac KM, right?

How does one identify iridium spark plugs from non-iridium ones?
In my car, the spark plugs were replaced at 40K and 80K as per the service history.
The cost was around 300-350 per spark plug.
They are in not great (but not bad) condition at the moment - black ring developed as opposed to light brown/ white ring.

Last edited by S_U_N : 22nd June 2011 at 12:40.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:12   #274
BHPian

Iridium spark plugs will have thinner central electrodes instead of the the normal cylindrical ones. It will look more line a pin. Don't think that Iridium ones will always last for 100K, mine got busted around 65K. It really depends on your driving style. More revs means more sparks, which means lesser life in terms of KM's. If there is any color change for the insulator close to the metal portion, that means the seal inside the plug is leaking. Change is always recommended in such cases as it will reduce efficiency.

OT: This reminds me to check mine soon.

Last edited by jaguar.runs : 22nd June 2011 at 13:16.
jaguar.runs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:36   #275
Senior - BHPian

The recommended change here is 40k kms. Even if you revv hard frequently, they should last easy for that time span. If you have a light foot, you may stretch them for another 20k kms. I got mine changed at 37k kms (40k service) for under Rs.1k.
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:43   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
Change is always recommended in such cases as it will reduce efficiency.
Are you referring to fuel efficiency?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:19   #277
BHPian

Please ignore my previous comment regarding the discoloration on the insulator. More research revealed that color change on the neck is considered to be safe, it is a common phenomenon for engines with deep spark plug installations as the oil particles in the plug chamber bind to the ceramic surface. It is called "Corona Stain". NGK and Denso websites have information regarding the same.

My bad!

My previous comment was based on info from a mechanic who claimed that the plugs have gone bad and the gases are leaking through the seals of the spark plug. My sincere apologies!

Last edited by jaguar.runs : 22nd June 2011 at 14:21.
jaguar.runs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 02:00   #278
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from an evening trip to Meerut. Had to attend a family friends wedding. The road was rather pathetic, full of pot holes especially after Ghaziabad. Couldnt do anything over 60-70 while going and even while coming back till Ghaziabad. First time, the S-Drives saw such surface and there were many times, a loud thud came from tyres. All I could do was pray that they dont give up, atleast on the way. And they didnt. Slowed down to 20ish on major bad patches. Will inspect the tyres in detail tomorrow.

Also, as we pass Bhood Barai, we have to take a slight right for the road to Meerut (thanks to the maps in my iphone..shuu), which starts with a flyover. Just before the flyover, there was watter logging. It was low enough to be safe but it made a big hump before the flyover (due to eroding of road), and the Cedia bottomed out bad for the first time. I could have missed it if I were a bit careful but the car has never bottomed out ever before, and we were only 2 in the car. So I was a little less considerate, only trying to avoid as much water as possible. My heart almost stopped beating as soon as the car scraped its belly. A city behind me got frightened and made its way from other side of the road (wrong way). I was wondering, what it'd be in polo and civic .

Further, one of the inner lanes of meerut was as if there is no road, I didnt exceed 5kmph at that 4 km stretch.. hell it was. While coming back took a slightly longer route to avoid the 4kms stretch.

Further, while coming back, I got stuck in a Jam before Gaziabad. I was at a small intersection and could see a service lane through which I could make my way. I asked the i10 on my left to use the service lane or atleast make way for me to go. The guy immidiately took the service lane. Now I had only turned about 30 degrees left, when the innova in front of i10 saw the car go and thought of taking the service lane too. So it slotted the reverse and put the pedal to the metal. BANG, into the front of my car. The innova had a rear bull guard, which went on right face of my car. I was a bit worried this time, My heart almost stopped again. Got of the car and it only had a dislocated bumper and the innova had a bent bull guard. I cant see any damage as such but will get the bumper removed to align it properly and check for any visible damage. Now, I had only turned about 30 degrees, had I turned about 80-90 degrees to take the service lane, the bugger would have t-boned me. but thank god its nothing to worry. The front cross is at its place, so that means the condensor and radiator behind the cross are fine. AC was working fine and the tempterature gauge was at its correct position. Head light and Fog Light too were fine.

Avoided any kinda mess up on Highway, as it was me and Mum. The innova guy said sorry and I let it go. Damn, last time a lady in i20 banged my car in reverse (there was enough space for 2 cars in front at that time) and this time this bloody innova. But the Cedia once again took the hit with too much ease. Civic, polo would have needed new bumper and may be more... Shuu.

In between, since I was stuck mostly at 60-70 at 5th gear, the FE was over 12kmpl, which is beautiful for this pathetic route.

Conclusion, I am not taking my car on this route again, my suspension life would have reduced by about 5k, with the number of potholes, I hit on this under 200km trip.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 29th June 2011 at 02:19.
Old 29th June 2011, 02:34   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The 'default' spark plugs are iridium ones. They are supposed to last 1 lac KM, right?

How does one identify iridium spark plugs from non-iridium ones?
In my car, the spark plugs were replaced at 40K and 80K as per the service history.
The cost was around 300-350 per spark plug.
They are in not great (but not bad) condition at the moment - black ring developed as opposed to light brown/ white ring.
AFAIK,you can differentiate by looking at the electrode,its a fine pointed one in iridium plugs,and a slightly thicker round one in normal one's
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 15:15   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Will inspect the tyres in detail tomorrow.
I was avoiding inspecting the tyres purposefully, but finally I did inspect them today. The side wall of left front tyre is done. Find attached the pictures. The damage on the alloy is not new, it was done when I ripped one my last bridgestones, while little offroading in Gurgaon, after which I changed all four tyres. It is the exact place from where the bridgestone got damaged. I believe the damaged alloy also contributed to the damaged Yoko this time. Damn, Delhi meerut highway . This time I know its me but again I wouldnt have gone over any pot hole at over 40. The speed I maintained on highway was 60-70. Yoko S-Drives, Delicate Darlings.
Attached Thumbnails
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!-img_0494.jpg  

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!-img_0495.jpg  

Old 6th July 2011, 00:28   #281
Senior - BHPian

Things dont seem to go right.

Went to get accelerator wire changed today (around 2 in the afternoon). Also got injectors opened and cleaned. And then me being bloody me, also asked to get spark plug's gap adjusted. While the mechanic (Ashu, he takes care of my car many a times), refitted the plug cables, I found that there is a little gap on the top of third plug cable, about 2-3mm at that time, but it wasnt properly sealed. I was about to ask for it, when I got distracted with something else, dont remember what, just remember noticing the gap on top.

Finally the car was washed and handed over to me at 6 as the ASC was very busy. Me and sanjay (Technitian) go for a half a km test drive (roads were too busy) and every thing seemed fine. I drop sanjay and leave for cannought place to see a friend. About 1 km away, there is a flyover and while going down, the car suddenly started missing a lot. I thought, the car is washed, may be because of that, didnt get ok within seconds and I could sense trouble. Switched off the car and started again, but the missing was still evident. Took a u turn back to ASC. Most mechanics had left for the day but sanjay was there.

He checked all injectors and spark plug cables and found a gap in the third spark plug cable at the top (it is supposed to be sealed, see the picture, the third one has gap on the top and the rest dont). At this time the gap was 1/4 of what it is in the picture. Suspect, some water could have leaked in through the plug. Opened the plug and it was little wet. Dont think it would have been water considerable enough to damage the engine but just very little (under 10-20ml or so). The spark plug was cleaned properly but the inner coil (that rests on plug) had come down from its position, and hence, despite the fact that it rests on the plug fine, it leaves space at the top.

Now, I was worried. Sanjay asked to get same cable from another cedia to check the difference and it confirmed that the inside coil has come down from its position. He tried a lot to get it back in place but that instead pushed the coil further toward outside and the gap increased. I was more worried about the water gone in. Sanjay said only minimal water would have made its way so its nothing to worry, and the car will run fine once the cable goes onto the cleaned plug. Just that the cable is not in its sealed position and must be replaced. Although, I trust sanjay, I still called my friendly mechanic to confirm and he said that its nothing to worry, just that the cable should be replaced asap to avoid any more dirt/water to reach plug.

I knew the cable will cost about 1400 as carfreak got it changed for his cedia. I wanted to object and ask for a new cable at ASC's expense but when I found out that ASC will blame the mechanic for his fault, I thought to get it changed at my cost. For all the honest opinion and good services these people have provided me till date, 1400 is a very small amount. And then my inner self didnt allow me to fight..

Now, we know that the cables are used to pull spark plugs out and also put them back in place, so it is possible that the inner coil got moved of its actual place during this process. Although, it is very rare and I havent personally witnessed something similar, but I think it can happen? My friendly mechanic says he has seen couple of similar cases but they are very rare.

So, dont know if I should really blame the mechanic because it wasnt the first time that he was taking out plugs of cedia.

Although, he didnt say it, but I could see sanjay being thankful for me not exaggerating the matter, which could have gone against the mechanic. I didnt do it as the car was running fine apart from minimal missing (once every 15 mins or so), which should go with new cable and also because my friendly mechanic said that its nothing to worry. For now sanjay taped it well from inside to avoid any kind of water/dirt going in. But I have to be caucious from my end.

However, I ordered for a new cable and asked the new GM to get it arranged asap. The new GM just said that it can happen and I for that matter got everything done in front of me. Now of course, I did but that doesnt guarantee that I can catch the fault the mechanic make (if at all it was his fault). I said to GM (Diepak Shharma, yes, I spelt it right) that I only got the work done in front of me, I myself didnt do it. I know it can happen and since its a nominal part, I am fine to pay for it. But if it would have been a major issue, I would not have paid for it. Asian Motors certainly on its way to become just another ASC....

Now, I hope I get the cable asap unlike the accelerator cable which took almost a month to reach ASC. And then I finally hope that the Cedia gets back in action asap. I dont want that I go and blast at someone at ASC, this is getting on my nerves now.

I took a long test drive after the plug was reinstalled and the accelerator cable was perfect and the throttle response was very good, thanks to injector cleaning as well. Will still try to refrain using the car till I get the issue sorted.

Find attached the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!-img_0502.jpg  

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!-img_0503.jpg  

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 6th July 2011 at 00:40.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 11:30   #282
BHPian

@gaurav,
It's worrisome but you took the right decision avoiding the drive until the cable is fixed. Gap is evident.
It was a good decision not to stretch the issue as the poor/ good mechanic could have got some firing from his boss. sometimes it just happens that one or other thing goes wrong, but not intentionally (considering it was not big damage).
Hope you get your cable fast this time.
Nicky is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 15:42   #283
BHPian

Wow...12 kmpl with those kind of road conditions is awesome. the best I have ever got was 10.5kms on the GQ, around a 400-500 km drive..now I am really wondering if something is terribly wrong with my car or my driving.

I may not be the smoothest of drivers, but I am certainly not a very rash driver as well.

This plus the top speed discussion is now giving me reason to worry.

In city the best I get is around 9 kmpl. But keep in mind that I travel around 4 kms to office and 4 kms back home on most days. In fact my odo reads 20k kms after 3 and a half years of running.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 18:46   #284
Senior - BHPian

Well, for each time I visit my friendly mechanic Raju, he amazes me. He is one guy who himself doesnt know his worth. Despite the fact that he earns good, I believe he deserves much more. Regarding the cable, mechanics at ASC and many outside too would have bought a new cable and installed it.

I went to raju, had already told him what happened yesterday. What did he do? he took out the cable, and applied some brake oil on the top end, took an old spark plug, and pushed the coil back. Count 60 and he was done before that. installed the cable back and Voila, it was as if nothing happened.. No gap nothing, the cable sealed the place as normal.

Took a test drive and man, was I not thrilled. New accelerator cable, cleaned injectors, adjusted plugs, clean throttle body clean air filter. Throttle response of my liking (as new) and the revving that made say yo baby yo baby ... The car came alive on my favourite track shanti path and hell I wished if I could change the tyres right now.

Went through a lot to get back that new kinda throttle response and finally I succeeded.. Thanks Raju . What did he charge.. nothing..

For yesterday, what was the damage, 1416 for accelerator cable, 124 as replacement labour and 551 for injector cleaning. Spark plug adjustment and complete washing complimentary..

Also asked to get underbody treated as the car bottomed out on the trip to meerut. No charges for same as I bought a 2 year plan in oct 2009.

Find attached pictures of the engine bay after the cable was put right and a few snaps of HM-Mitsubishis attempt to promote EVO and Montero. Hanged an avertisement card on IVRM.
Attached Thumbnails
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!-img_0507.jpg  

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!-img_0508.jpg  

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!-img_0512.jpg  

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!-img_0513.jpg  

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!-img_0514.jpg  

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!-img_0515.jpg  

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!-img_0516.jpg  

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 6th July 2011 at 18:48.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 19:33   #285
Senior - BHPian

Hi g_c,

What's the '2 year plan bought by you in 2009' about?
Is it some sort of AMC plan, do share the details.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote