Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 3rd June 2009, 13:40   #1
BHPian

Default 14000+ kms on i10 Sportz Kappa...!

Was wanting to pen down this report for sometime, but never managed to do it.
Having driven a M800 for quite a few years, I decided to upgrade myself to a more comfortable and spacious car (if you compare an 800 to any other car it will be luxurious and spacious I guess LOL..!)

Reasons for buying i10 Kappa
I test drove othercars like i10 1.1, Indica, Logan, Swift Petrol. Somehow I was not convinced on any of the above cars so decided to postpone the buying process.
Finally when i10 1.2 was launched decided to test drive it again and found it good in terms of pick up and power. I already knew the other virtues of i10 before and hence decided to go for it. I bought it in Sep 2008 and got a 20k corporate discount offer as well which hastened my buying process.

Accessories fitted:
Fog lamps
3M sun film
Auto cop
Art Leather Seat Covers
13" League Alloys
Michelin 175s.

I have done around 14,500 kms in the last 9 months (around 2000kms of highway driving out of this) and my report is based on this.

Car Build Quality, Aesthetics and Ergonomics: Its the best in its class. Period. There is no competition on this aspect. Looks much better with the Alloys and Michelins. Visibility is great.Till date no issues on these aspects (no rattles, plastics are intact etc.). The OEM audio is pretty good as well.

Drive and Handling: Superb on good roads, drives like a dream. Holds corners well and feels planted. Steering is responsive (maybe because of the wider Michelins). Bumpy on bad roads and speedbreakers, needs careful driving (I run 32psi all around)

Braking: Breaking is decent for city and definitely needs more bite on highways for the power it delivers. ABS is a must.

Engine: The engine is smooth, refined and can be revved well. I wouldn't say its great for city driving, but good enough. The engine is not tuned like the 1.1 for city driving. On the highways the engine can be revved well. I have hit a max of 130kmph till date. Do not have the confidence to go faster than this in a small car like i10. Braking/straight line stability would be an issue as well and it does not have ABS.

The sweet spot of the car lies in cruising at 80 to 100kmph @3000 rpm in 5th gear. This is what I have noticed. Anything above 120kmph and the engine begins to roar and it becomes a bit coarse as well. These are all primarily city roundabouts and am of the opinion that small cars are not meant for highway driving for great distances.

Fuel Economy:
Please note that am a bit of a spirited driver. I drive around 45kms daily

Bangalore City driving without a/c :12kmpl. With a/c 10-11kmpl
Highway driving without a/c : 14 to 15kmpl. Have even got 16 a couple of times.

Service Experience: No major issues in the service department so far.

Niggles Faced:
1. The autocop was not working properly. The turn indicators (both front and back) used to get stuck and be ON when parked and locked. Got the autocop panel replaced and is working fine now.

2. Wheel Alignment / Balancing: I think there is problem with the alignment area and I need to get it done again. I got it done during the second service and was not too happy with the outcome.

Accidents: Managed to scrape an Alto once while taking a left turn into one of the not so broad roads (This was not my fault though). The Alto was coming into the main road. The right bumper of my car scraped the rear right side of the Alto. The i10 managed only a scratch on the bumper while the Alto had a dent. Talks about the build quality.

Negatives:
1. A/C: I feel when the a/c is switched on, the power output goes down by say 25% ? This is my perception and I can be wrong. The car feels heavier as well when the a/c is running. Would welcome feedback from other i10 owners on this. One of the reasons why I hate driving this car with a/c on. I do not know if the problem is because of any other reasons.

2. Fuel Economy: I feel for a small car like this and with the refinement in the engine, the FE should have been more. Getting around 10 to 11 with a/c is no good for city driving. I do not like this aspect.

3. Reverse gear: 6 out of 10 times, the reverse gear does not engage on the first go. Forgot this while getting the service done.

4. Under thigh support in the seats could have been much better.

Would welcome any expert T-BHPians in Bangalore to test my car out as well.

Verdict: With best of breed new large hatchbacks coming into the market and the hatchback diesels doing a great job (courtesy FIAT), I would not buy a small petrol car again. Couple of months into this car and I wanted to buy the swift diesel. Just held myself back because of some of the QC issues I read about in the ownership reports and also the recession setting in.

P.S: Waiting to buy the GP (Obviously Diesel)
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

NFS, thats a wonderful and honest perspective of i10 Kappa. I almost agree with all your points there except for the under thigh support, i dont see too much of a problem there. Reverse gear is an issue, as you rightly said it does not engage cleanly

Even i am a spirited driver and i drive that car occasionally and never crossed an FE of 11.5KMPL till date.

1st gear is too short and dont enjoy it too much, 2nd gear and 3rd are the best gears and I notice there is a power lag until it comes to 2.5K rpm and after that whoosh, it just surges forward. But it takes time to get to 2.5K rpm

I didnt find the AC too effective ( maybe to some extent because of no film in my car) and power drop when its switched on is what makes me snide at small cars.

Overall, its a cute,powerful and really fun car to drive, no regrets whatsoever !!!
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:44   #3
BHPian

A very good and honest review!

Even I am getting 11-11.5 kmpl in city driving conditions. However I am consistently getting 16.5 - 18 kmpl in highway driving. All with 80% AC.

I am also facing the reverse gear engaging issue and the compromise on the engine power when the AC is on.

Once I have managed to touch 150 on an empty stretch during one of my highway drives. Never tried after that, since I always like to stick to 80-100 during my highway drives.

Apart from these, during my six months experience with the car is absolutely wonderful. No rattles, no problems, no issues whatsoever.
subbusos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:46   #4
BHPian

@mobike008 - What you say is correct. Overall the car is really good.
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
A very good and honest review!

Even I am getting 11-11.5 kmpl in city driving conditions. However I am consistently getting 16.5 - 18 kmpl in highway driving. All with 80% AC.
subbusos - thats good to hear that you are getting upto 18kmpl on highways. What petrol do you use? Are you running on stocks?
Old 3rd June 2009, 15:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
subbusos - thats good to hear that you are getting upto 18kmpl on highways. What petrol do you use? Are you running on stocks?
I generally use Shell Normal Petrol if I tank up in Bangalore and use TVS and an IOC petrol if I tank up in Trichy.

Yes, I am running on stocks.

However I always try to ensure that I am on the right RPM in all gears during the highway drives. My lowest highway kmpl is 16.5 kmpl when I pushed her to 130-150 once.
Old 3rd June 2009, 16:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice review! The fuel economy figures are very average for city driving with A/C on.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 16:25   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Nice review! The fuel economy figures are very average for city driving with A/C on.
Well, that is the only downside of this car. It cannot give beyond 12kmpl in city and is something i have come to terms with.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 16:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Well, that is the only downside of this car. It cannot give beyond 12kmpl in city and is something i have come to terms with.
Exactly. I tried my best to improve it with all sorts of driving types. But she never given me above 11.5 kmpl. Anyway, I am OK with it, because my usage is mainly on highways. I drive just 100-200 km per month in city.
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:07   #10
BHPian

A Very Honest and more importantly, a unbiased review!

Regarding Mileage, you could talk to the service personnel there in hyundai showroom. But i wonder if it'll help. I am getting 12.5 max in city with 100% AC and around 16 in highways with 100% AC.

When i talked to the service personnel, the fellow told me that it depends upon driving style sir blah blah...some people have got 11 and some have got 14! Can't really figure out how to get the advertised figure of 14 in the city conditions. Also, i have seen the 'worse' of around 11 when i have predominantly driven rather crawled through jams and hopeless roads in rains!

Also, i have always tried to maintain the right rpms all the time. Generally 2500 rpm( i.e., i change gear whenever the engine tries to cross the 2500 rpm mark on every gear while accelerating). Of course, i have the habit of riding the clutch while driving in the city. This could lead to drop in mileage. But overall, never crossed 12.5kmpl in city. And i run on stock tyres.

I have touched a max speed of 150kmph. Engine was harsh but stability was OK. Have got no ABS. But felt braking to be OK.

Regarding AC, yes, i do find a considerable drop in power when AC is switched on!! But this could be due to a powerful AC installed in i10s i.e., More powerful compared to Santro AC. Hence you wont feel the drop in a Santro, whereas you feel it in an i10.

Reverse gear stuck problem is occasional but not as frequent as you have mentioned.

As for me, i am extremely happy with the car. Its a real class and if you see on the wholel, i dont think any car comes close to it in overall quality. enjoy driving her!!
iPai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:09   #11
BHPian

Guys - surely there must be some way to increase the FE on this car.
Old 24th June 2009, 10:39   #12
BHPian

Guys - have completed 15,000kms. The car is a boon to drive in the mindless city traffic. The engine is super smooth and silent. It still drives like a dream (courtesy the michelins) and have had no issues so far.

Will be completing one year by Aug, so time for the 3rd and final free service.

Wanted to check if there is anyone who has already got the 3rd service done if so what all was done.
Old 24th June 2009, 16:04   #13
BHPian

Congrats on completing 15K in your car. I did my 3rd service on Monday, they changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter. the bill came to Rs.750.

The SA tried to push for a oil flush on me, but I plainly refused. Do take note of this while going for the service. Ask them clearly what all would be done. Also I did my wheel balancing/alignment outside.
anandtheleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 17:04   #14
BHPian

Well, i get an FE of around 12.5 with 100% ac and 15+ with no ac on my 1.1 Era (in Delhi). And I thought Kappa was more fuel efficient!!
naru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 17:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Congrats on completing 15K in your car. I did my 3rd service on Monday, they changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter. the bill came to Rs.750.

The SA tried to push for a oil flush on me, but I plainly refused. Do take note of this while going for the service. Ask them clearly what all would be done. Also I did my wheel balancing/alignment outside.
Did they also add any additive? How will the oil flush help? what about the air filter, was it cleaned?