Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 7th June 2009, 11:29   #1
BHPian

Cool Ikon 1.8D (GT 40) 2 yr Ownership Whoa's!!! and Woes..!!!!!

Hello team,

Finally I plan to pen down my thoughts on to this thread. It has been just over 1 year and here is how it goes.

Some History on the purchase of my Ikon.:
I had been pestering my mum to buy a car. But she had been diagreeing for a long time when she finally managed a "nod"... ( I had to explain the disadvantages of travellling by other modes of transport. ) . The judgement day arrived. I was like the kid who has all of a sudden been dropped off in disneyland. Off we went to Autonest and were looking around for the different cars that were on sale..The first thing i took a look at was ..... guess wat.... ( Price : The indian mentality ) only then I would check out the car and its specs. So the choice was an M800 or this Ikon 1.8D 2000 model. In the first week of September 2007 is when took the car to the temple The puja complete it was time to run over some lemon's. So I start driving and it starts drizzling. It was wonderful.

Ok now for the ownership review..
Oil replaced 3 times. Shell engine oil.1200 (including labor)
The entire front suspension kit changed from hydraulic to Gas shocks. Rs4000.
Wheel alignment
All 4 tyres replaced. Front Kendra Tubeless tyres 175/70 R13.
Changed headlamps to crystal clear 1600. refurbished but very effective.
Replaced windshield 6000 (Windshield Experts)
Rear Bridgestone Tubeless but 175 / 80 R13
Added neckrest Window tints Chrome lugnuts Steel rim lip.
Spacer added to the rear suspension for increased ride height.
Racing Stripes Team-Bhp stickers.
Ford speakers and Pioneer Stereo. no amp no sub.
Use formula 1 wax polish.

On a trip to Ooty i really did feel the engine stressed out.. When I start the engine on a cold morning i can hear some clatter. I am a little worried. Planning to replace the stock air filter to green filter, as K&N say they dont have one for the diesel car. The pickup I feel is lesser than what it should be. The AC worked intermittently and temporarily has been fixed by adjusting the magnetic coil that fastens to the clutch when switched on. The mechanic said it is weak.. Somehow my car has "climate control" It knows when its raining and when there is unbearable heat and works only in those 2 special conditions. I personally dislike AC and dont use it (Get a headache under influence of AC). So does my mom (added advantage).
The driving position is great in an ikon and after replacing the windshield the night driving was redefined. The old windshield was scratched so much i did not realise. I thought it was always the property of glass that with high beam the light spreads through the glass. But the difference was noticed only when i drove my friends omni and Dzire at night. The average i guess is about 15 kmpl. Havent measured it accurately.

Things stilll to be taken care :
The electricals ( power window control unit needs to be replaced.)
Front door mounted speakers not working.
Change to alloys in few months.
Not sure if this diesel Ikon has a performance air filter. Any Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Here are the latest pics of my GT 40.
Attached Thumbnails
Ikon 1.8D (GT 40) 2 yr Ownership Whoa's!!! and Woes..!!!!!-dscn1155.jpg  

Ikon 1.8D (GT 40) 2 yr Ownership Whoa's!!! and Woes..!!!!!-dscn0079.jpg  

Ikon 1.8D (GT 40) 2 yr Ownership Whoa's!!! and Woes..!!!!!-dscn0110.jpg  

Ikon 1.8D (GT 40) 2 yr Ownership Whoa's!!! and Woes..!!!!!-original.jpg  

Last edited by lancersfx : 7th June 2009 at 11:33.
lancersfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 11:41   #2
BHPian

Nice car. What are the engine specifications of the iKon diesel?? At what price you purchased the car? Why different tyres for front and rear?
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 13:41   #3
BHPian

Default Specs

Well the specs : 1850CC displacement ~60BHP. Endura 1.8l engine.
Paid about 2.75.
Different tyres.. The rear ones are of a different rubber and profile. I could get my hands on only two set of the Kendra's for the front. I may change the rear ones but not soon. The rims also need changing. Hence i am delaying install of new tyres with alloys.

Last edited by lancersfx : 7th June 2009 at 13:42. Reason: Update
Old 7th June 2009, 14:48   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the info. How are the tyres from KENDRA. Never heard about that brand. Where is it manufactured?? How much you paid for it??
Have you got the vehicle checked for the problems (pick-up related)??
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 20:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

the specs are wrong. capacity: 1750 cc borexstroke~84x83 mm, so you can revv more.... 57 hp@4800 rpm 10 kgm @2800 rpm. This engine is renowned for its longevity and cursed for its low-rpm sluggishness.

Last edited by ramzsys : 7th June 2009 at 20:45.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 09:40   #6
BHPian

ramzsys : Thanks for the correction.. Its true this engine is known for longevity.. but as mentioned it is sluggish.. I was looking for performance air filters but so far had no luck. K&N say they dont have one for diesel ikon.
I am yet to check with pipercross and green.

mnhegde : The tyres are really good. I have tried taking the curves near krishnagiri and near thoppur with bridgestones but didn;t feel confident as I knew I was driving on the edge and any faster would get the tail out. With these i am able to take the corners above 80/90kmph...(This was done only once for testing.....)
Old 7th October 2011, 11:53   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Ikon 1.8D (GT 40) 2 yr Ownership Whoa's!!! and Woes..!!!!!

Hey Lancersfx,

I need your suggestion.

I came across an 2002 ford ikon 1.8D, the seller is an third owner, ODO shows 78000 kms.

According to seller it has back compression problem, the tyres need replacement, exterior and interior is good.

Seller quotes 1.3 lacs.

What would be your suggestion?

Is the general upkeep cost of Ikon 1.8D expensive?

Please help me in deciding.

Thanks in advance
pavan_6818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 13:20   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_6818 View Post
Hey Lancersfx,

I need your suggestion.

I came across an 2002 ford ikon 1.8D, the seller is an third owner, ODO shows 78000 kms.

According to seller it has back compression problem, the tyres need replacement, exterior and interior is good.

Seller quotes 1.3 lacs.

Thanks in advance
My advice would be to stay away.

- 78000 on the odo in all probabilities is not correct, especially since you will be the fourth owner.

- Engine work required.

- General maintenance of this car is atrociously expensive.

- 1.3 laks ? You must be kidding me !! I would not buy it at a penny over 30,000 bucks.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 13:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
- 78000 on the odo in all probabilities is not correct, especially since you will be the fourth owner.
- Engine work required.
- General maintenance of this car is atrociously expensive.
- 1.3 laks ? You must be kidding me !! I would not buy it at a penny over 30,000 bucks.
True, diesels are run like anything and it would be 1,78,000. Engine work for this motor is not required by 78k kms.

Odometer has only 5 digits.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 16:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Lancersfx,

I need your suggestion.

Seller quotes 1.3 lacs.

Thanks in advance

Hi Pavan,
The Ikon Diesel is a true workhorse and I get very good FE considering today fuel costs. However the condition of engine has to be checked with a known good mechanic. If the price is this low then better to get a thorough inspection. Being a 2000 or 2002 yeah the mileage doesn't look right. In my ownership in 3 hrs alone I have managed to clock 40k. And never had a major problem. In fact I'm selling mine to as I plan to move to an SUV because with the sedan I'm limited to 5 people and I have the need to carry 7 or 8. So an Innova or a Tavera is what I'm looking for. Else, I have no heart to sell my beloved GT40
Old 7th October 2011, 23:02   #11
BHPian

Guys thanks for your valuable responses.

I agree with you Eddy, but the third owner of the vehicle is a lady, she claims that she had not used the vehicle much. Also I agree that the upkeep cost is very expensive for ford vehicles, but now that they localised most of the spares I think they should not be that expensive.

Though I am not completely bound to buy the car, but Please correct me if I am wrong.

BTW what is meant by back compression?

LancerSFX, can you tell me what would be Engine overhauling cost I need to undergo for this vehicle. I mean like Engine decarbonisation, Engine flush, Radiator Flush, Throttle body flush, A/C servicing, etc kind of things.

If I tend to take this vehicle I would be keeping it for 4-5 yrs, my running is also very less maybe hardly 500-1000 kms per month. ultimately my service interval will be 6 months.

Thanks in advance
pavan_6818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 00:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Lancersfx,

I need your suggestion.

Seller quotes 1.3 lacs.

Thanks in advance
Having owned a 1.8 Ikon in the past let me tell you that upkeep of an ageing ford is very painfull and an expensive affair, unless you have full service records of the car in question there is no point in going for it unless he is willing to sell it to you for 75000/-. Personally i would tell you just let it go, people gave me similar advice when i bought the 1.8, that car really scrwed my happiness and i sold it within a year.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote