Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 14th March 2010, 22:05   #46
JLN
BHPian

could'nt get hold of the maintenance bill to give you the specific details.

The Problem: Initially I had to set the blower to 3 or 4 to get air coming - odd, since for the first 50K kms, I don't remember putting the blower at more than 2 - the indica ac was really awesome. Over time, the vents were not blowing cold air. Mentioned this problem during a regular service and it seems like the ac compressor pump was faulty. I don't think the pump was replaced, but some parts were - i was shocked about the cost too - 8K seemed really high, I remember getting an entire ac unit for my maruti 800 (non-ac) for about 20K. but didn't have a choice - since I needed the ac to work. Plus the vehicle had completed the original warranty period, and I realized that the extended warranty does not cover the ac unit - so could not do much.
JLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 20:12   #47
BHPian

Default 1,37,000 kms and counting

Had a couple of 300 km drives last week to Rasipuram and back and the twisties of Valparai. Wanted to test the new tyres as well as the car's pickup after a long time.

The tyres stick on the road like glue even at an indicated 135 kmph. My wife who was asleep at that time, remarked at how soon we had reached Erode (100 kms). I just told her that she was asleep that long.

Anyway, the speeding was only on the 4-lane highway at 6am. Got back to the relaxed 75-80 kmph after moving out of the highway and getting into single lane roads.

A day later, it was time for Valparai and the 40 hair pin bends were absolutely phenomenal. Though I stuck to very sane speeds (40-50) the manner in which the tyres performed through the hairpins had me pining to belt the car around. Tyre squeal encountered only once through the entire terrain.

Mileage seems to be hovering around the 17-18 kmpl mark with enthusiastic driving throughout the week and hopeless traffic inside Coimbatore. AC always on (or was it?). Daytime temperatures in Coimbatore have risen around 6-7 degrees Celsius over the last two years.

Who said Global Warming was just a farce?
discoverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 15:31   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post

Who said Global Warming was just a farce?
Good to hear that the new shoes make the old warhorse run better!

Huge increases in day temperatures in cities are more due to the Urban Heat Island(UHI) effect and other local factors.Global warming can add up just decimal points (<0.8 C)
citron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 18:51   #49
BHPian

True. Over the last couple of years, Coimbatore has lost about 1500 trees or more for widening on the main roads. Most of these trees were at least 75-100 years old. It is a pain to drive on these roads now. I pity two wheeler riders.
Old 5th May 2010, 23:02   #50
BHPian

@discoverwild: How is the A/C holding up? Any loss in cooling over the years? I'm looking for an Indica Turbo myself. The trouble seems to be that the folks who have it won't sell unless it has some issues. Can't blame them I guess. Stay safe on the road!
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 09:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I'm looking for an Indica Turbo myself. The trouble seems to be that the folks who have it won't sell unless it has some issues. Can't blame them I guess.
If it hadnt been for the killer resale drop, both of us would have had better options
For example, I'm an Indica turbo owner wanting to sell my car badly.
But the car cost me 4.35K OTR + 35K for ice + 10K for upgrading to some DLX bits ( anti glare IRVM's, Black B pillars, Rear wash wipe, Chrome ORVMS)
After 3 years& 35K kms , I'd be very lucky if i got 2.8L for it. 2.5 is a more realistic expectation. Dad says that even at 2.8L , its not worth selling, since 2L depreciation on a 4.something lakh car is hard to stomach, esepcially after the maintenence expenses. So I'm leaving it with him (I'm moving out for higher studies) even though he doesnt need it.

I'd say dont try too hard for the turbo . its a bit overrated, especially if you're going to be running mainly in the city - it doesnt make much of a difference there. Only if you're going to be doing mainly highway runs does it make sense
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 09:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

heartening thread
my dad's indica DLG turbo April 2006 has just hit 30K kms.
Going by this Im sure it has lots of life left in it!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 14:01   #53
BHPian

I own a April 2006 Indica Turbo DLG over 1.26L kms. Still going on strong. I feel if you maintain your vehicle well you can get good service. I am been offered Rs.2.0L against exchange.
Our Other Indigo LX May 2006 is also over 1.50L Kms without any problems.
kiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 14:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

very sad to hear this.
CBE was always a nice town with lots of old trees on the highways - especially the roads which led towards Pollachi, Valparai, Munnar and the other one to Periyanaickenpalayam, Mettupalayam and the other one to Palakkad etc.
Its a long time since I ve driven these roads. cant be much fun now without the lovely shady trees alongside.
same thing is happening on the Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundalpet-Bandipur stretch. I cant understand why they need to cut the trees. they should simply use the trees as a natural divider and widen the roads by acquiring the land alongside - after all the government has the right to acquire the land next to the roadside anytime it feels like. long as they pay decent market linked compensation people wont raise too many objections either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
True. Over the last couple of years, Coimbatore has lost about 1500 trees or more for widening on the main roads. Most of these trees were at least 75-100 years old. It is a pain to drive on these roads now. I pity two wheeler riders.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 18:58   #55
BHPian

Default 1,40,000 kms - 3 mishaps

The Indica completed 140Ks this morning. Just in and out of service. Steering is a bit stiff because the steering tie rod used was actually that of the Indica and not the Turbo model. The mechanic had it cut and put it on the car. This has resulted in tight steering. I will replace the tie rods during the next service.

Mishap 1 - My driver managed to puncture a wheel and drive it for over 20kms resulting in one side of the tyre going damaged beyond repair. (need to replace it now).

Mishap 2 - I just moved residence and had parked the car under a 60-year old mango tree. We have visiting fruit bats at night. One of them managed to knock off a mango and it landed straight at the corner of the windshield cracking it. Need to go in for a replacement now.

Mishap 3 - Unfortunate victim of a hit-and-run. Had just moved out of the parking on TV Swamy Road (RS Puram, Coimbatore) and picked up my wife and son. A Scorpio backed up straight into me even though there were at least 3 cars honking and drivers yelling at him to stop. Indica damaged over the front wheel well. The worst part was that he didn't even stop the car and scooted from the spot. I tried chasing him down but he had better luck as I was going the other way and had to make a U-turn. He darted into the side roads and made good his escape.

My wife and son were standing right at the point where he banged into me barely a minute earlier.

The culprit was in a light green Scorpio bearing number TN-38-V-**** and am trying to trace the rascal through the RTO. I wouldn't be so p***ed off, if he had opened his windows and apologized. Instead he chose to run. That's what has made me very angry and I have decided to make sure that I find him.

The car was not to blame for any of this.
Old 10th September 2010, 21:33   #56
BHPian

Indica has gone in for repairs. I think there was more to the Scorpio shunt than we knew. Apparently the car started leaking power steering fluid and the pump got damaged. So a replacement pump there plus new belts, already has a new battery. The windscreen is being replaced and so is the dented fender. The car has spent more than 2 weeks at Autozone, Coimbatore now due to insurance delays. Hopefully will get it back next week.

Expect some big bills, but if she is back spic and span, I am happy. Will post updates upon arrival of the car.
Old 10th September 2010, 21:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure its the steering pump and not the steering column ?
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 08:56   #58
BHPian

Yes, only the steering pump, the column is fine. The issue I think was because there was a leakage and the car was driven without steering fluid. Just bad luck, I guess.
Old 11th September 2010, 13:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

have a look at the ball joints/suspension bits as well. make sure that the wheel is aligned, and there are no vibrations/pulling to any side after the repairs are done!
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 18:44   #60
BHPian

Thanks for the heads up, Greenhorn. I intend to give a thorough once-over before picking it up from Autozone.