Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 25th April 2010, 15:05   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshtvpm View Post
@humyum
nope. Its not you people are the one off's. I too have problems with clutch. They changed the entire clutch assembly under the warranty. That part of the problems were sorted out to an extent. But the major problem of mine still remains. A peculiar tappet noise like sound from the engine when you hold the accelerator at a particular rpm(1600-1800). More over the engine is very noisy overall. I have tried few of my friends cars and what i personally felt was the engine was very noisy. My car is having rattles from the day one. My dad even went a step further and asked me whether this is a new car.(Imagine my embarrassment for making a choice like this one with his money)
My clutch was changed 3 times, Brake booster changed ones and now this gear box bull.

Well about the tappet noise, never heard it in my car. What do the service station people say.

You know the engine in my car is utter brilliance ( touch wood ), as in its neither noise, the turbo kick is how it should be too.

Get maruti on this problem of yours, dont let them get away and also dont hesitate to contact the higher ups if necessary. That always works.

Even after all this, I still think Swift is a brilliant car, I don't know why but the trust in maruti just refuses to die.

I sure hope my Swift is perfect in india and how it should be.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 16:14   #92
Senior - BHPian

hey humyum.
How is your car doing now ?
I hope everything is working the way want it to run.
Cheers.
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 16:12   #93
BHPian

Default Ordeal With Maruti and the Swift !

A little introduction:
"I wanted peace of mind, so did i get a Maruti" an ironical statement considering all the time that i spent on setting things right on the brand new Swift ZXI.

I own 2 cars and Swift is the one that has made me spend a lot of time in the workshop. The other one, FIAT Grande Punto runs like a stallion with 70000 kms on the ODO and am on damn proud owner.

History:

Day 1 : Took Delivery of the Swift ZXI on 21st September and was all a happy go person.

Day 4: A rainy day. A clunky sound notably from the left rear suspension area after say some 20 kms drive while returning home. It sounds similar to metal hitting metal and also spring oriented. It comes only when the rear comes down after climbing the hump. It precisely comes when the suspension is compressed.

I am a kind of guy who will look out for sounds and make sure they are rectified as soon as possible, just to prevent bigger damages. And thats one of the reason, my Punto is in good condition.

Day 5(Sitting 1): Called up Pratham Motos Kudlu and took the car and stayed with them while they were inspecting. 4 guys drove the car in and out and it was not very friendly driving either. I was maintaining less than 2000 RPM for the run in and they were belting it out in front of my eyes. Damn.

They took 2 hours and were not able to figure out the problem and since i was in the middle of an urgent personal work, left and promised to leave the car the next day.

Day 6(Sitting 2): Left the car, got a call in the evening to come and collect. Went down and the same issue was still persistent. I was devastated and frustrated.

One of the big names known for good sales(Oh well that's another story) and service was a big let down for me.

I took the issue up with the chief service manager and questioned him on what was done with the car the whole day. The chief service manager promised he will solve the problem and will give me a loaner car.

Day 7(Sitting 3): Left the car again, took the loaner car and left. One whole day.

Day 8: Evening, i collect the car. No issues and suspension noise. When asked, they gave me greasing the suspension which i was not convinced with. The moment they uttered greasing, i knew this issue is going to rise again and it did.

To be Noted: All this was happening for no fault of mine and my expensive fuel was being utilized there and i was helpless.

Day 15: The noise comes again during rainy days. I keep my calm and waited for the car to reach 1000 kms on the ODO.

Day 18(Sitting 4): Left the car for the 1st service, and specifically told them two issues.

1. The suspension noise comes during rainy times.
2. First gear slotting is becoming harder.

The SA named Guru, was in a hurry and asked me if i would want to wait for 2 hours and collect the car back. I knew this is going nowhere. I told him i will collect in the evening.

Evening: Collected the car. Was spick and span. Drove 500 meters and both the issues were persistent. Height of frustrations. Damn Maruti !

Took the car back, spoke to the chief service manager Vipun.

Vipun asked Guru why the problem is persistent. And this is where it turned really bad. Guru was claiming that i never told him the problem. I was like super irritated. After some word exchanges, i sat down and we decided to remove the suspension and put in a new one.

Solutions tried:

New Suspension: Refitted a new suspension and test drove. Same issue.

Checked the rear seat and its lock: No use . Same issue

Greasing: Definitely works but not permanent

All this while the SA, Vipun and couple of mechanics were present. It already became 8pm and i told him i will leave and will try leaving the vehicle later.

Icing on the cake: Pratham called me and asked 2 days later that if the service was good and general feedback. I mentioned the problem still remains. Guru calls back a couple of hours later and asks me why i told Pratham that the problem still exists? I was going gaga !

Help Needed

1. I saw in team bhp that a similar swift had the same issue and greasing and suspension replacement worked.

2. I am skeptical on leaving it back with Pratham Motors. I have a good rappo with Vipun, but i think they are inefficient.

3. What else can be checked. I guess it can be torsion beam and the coil spring that can be replaced and checked.

4. Is there any other dealer i can leave the car with and start all over again?

5. I found this in the internet

"Shocks or struts have two different modes of operation---one is under compression like when going over bumps and one is under extension of the shock/strut and the valving inside the shock/strut is different for these two modes depending on how the engineers want the ride and handling to be setup. You may want to change the rear struts or all four to a type that is adjustable, if possible , so you can adjust how the ride is affected under jounce or rebound conditions. Otherwise, maybe a softer strut may be available from parts stores or the dealer. Noises could be from a stabilizer bar bushing or suspension bushings also. "

6. All in all i am one frustrated owner and this is my first Maruti and it has definitely let me down.

7. Should i take this up with Maruti?

8. Was i given a lemon?

Last edited by bblost : 28th October 2014 at 16:17. Reason: Removed extra smiley.
Rubbertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 16:29   #94
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ordeal With Maruti and the Swift !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post

4. Is there any other dealer i can leave the car with and start all over again?

You should definitely go with a different dealer than the one who you are with and secondly, inform Maruti and then see the magic unfolding with the same people who have been negligent in addressing your queries, bending over backwards to get the issue resolved.

Do not lose hope, I am sure Maruti would keep you happy as it is not for nothing that they have a brand name.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 16:34   #95
BHPian

What stops you from going to a different service center ?It may be because of the rear struts . Is it touching any body part ,is what you need to check. In one of my car's suspension issue ,a local mechanic found out that the strut bar was touching the lower arm,which Maruti people couldn't find out.
I would suggest, you to try another Authorized service center.
commonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 16:36   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A little introduction:
"I wanted peace of mind, so did i get a Maruti" an ironical statement considering all the time that i spent on setting things right on the brand new Swift ZXI.

Solutions tried:

New Suspension: Refitted a new suspension and test drove. Same issue.

Checked the rear seat and its lock: No use . Same issue

Greasing: Definitely works but not permanent

8. Was i given a lemon?
To be honest, Maruti has tried to help you in this case including verbatim
"New Suspension: Refitted a new suspension and test drove. Same issue.

Checked the rear seat and its lock: No use . Same issue"

Why not change the dealer before knocking Maruti doors.

Maruti dealers per se are responsive and customer centric.

Check the best options before going to the higher authorities.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th October 2014 at 22:44. Reason: Please stick to topic, this thread is not about Fiat, thanks
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 17:18   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
You should definitely go with a different dealer than the one who you are with and secondly, inform Maruti and then see the magic unfolding with the same people who have been negligent in addressing your queries, bending over backwards to get the issue resolved.

Do not lose hope, I am sure Maruti would keep you happy as it is not for nothing that they have a brand name.

Yes. The only grouse is the chief SM has called me personally and asked me to leave the car. Thats why confused. Thinking to giving one last chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
What stops you from going to a different service center ?It may be because of the rear struts . Is it touching any body part ,is what you need to check. In one of my car's suspension issue ,a local mechanic found out that the strut bar was touching the lower arm,which Maruti people couldn't find out.
I would suggest, you to try another Authorized service center.
Yeah. I should be. I am thinking of Kalyani Motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
To be honest, Maruti has tried to help you in this case including verbatim
"New Suspension: Refitted a new suspension and test drove. Same issue.

Checked the rear seat and its lock: No use . Same issue"

Why not change the dealer before knocking Maruti doors.

Maruti dealers per se are responsive and customer centric.

Check the best options before going to the higher authorities.

Yeah i totally agree. Maruti are responsive. But i found the SA was obsessed with the feedback from me and not in solving the problem per se.

Maruti responding to problem is one thing, and having a car without major issues is another thing. And not to mention Swift is a brand new car.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th October 2014 at 22:47. Reason: QUoted post has been edited, lets not make this another fiat thread, thanks :)
Rubbertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 17:21   #98
Senior - BHPian

Ask a competent FNG to lift the car and push/pull the different suspension pieces until the problem is found.

Like others said, it is because of some part of the car is touching another part which it should not under any circumstances.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 17:58   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

What part of the suspension was replaced. Was it the rear torsion beam or the dampers? Where was the greasing done?

If you haven't contacted Maruti yet then this thread title needs correction to Maruti Swift instead of Maruti and the Swift.

Now is the time to involve the manufacturer i don't see the reason to wait any longer. You are correct when you said that the dealership is interested in only feedbacks and not in solving problems. They will solve the problems once you let tell them that you're contacting Maruti, because Maruti takes customer feedback seriously, if you give them a low rating Maruti will ask them to come meet you and rectify your problem and report back to Maruti. Negative feedbacks lower dealership score and they try their best to prevent negative feedbacks.

Last edited by Sankar : 28th October 2014 at 18:06.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 18:02   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
What part of the suspension was replaced. Was it the rear torsion beam or the dampers? Where was the greasing done?

If you haven't contacted Maruti yet then this thread title needs correction to Maruti Swift instead of Maruti and the Swift.
Now is the time to involve the manufacturer i don't see the reason to wait any longer.
You are correct when you said that the dealership is interested in only feedbacks and not in solving problems. Because Maruti do take customer feedbacks seriously, if you give them a low rating Maruti will ask them to come meet you and rectify your problem.
Swift Diesel ! Maruti Wonder Or Blunder ! Read on!-suspension.jpg

Part 1 in the picture was removed, and replaced with a new one. I am not sure what that is. The reason i titled this thread Ordeal with Maruti is because the problem sprung up in a brand new car and it speaks out my frustration if i received a lemon .
Rubbertramps is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 18:17   #101
Team-BHP Support

Try another dealer and get an opinion first, there is nothing so complicated in the swift rear suspension. Also do check if the stopper part no 3 is in tact.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 18:28   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Ask a competent FNG to lift the car and push/pull the different suspension pieces until the problem is found.
+1

I think a competent mechanic (not from A.S.S.) would be able to diagnose the problem faster than any service center folks.
fine69 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 18:33   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1303484

Part 1 in the picture was removed, and replaced with a new one. I am not sure what that is. The reason i titled this thread Ordeal with Maruti is because the problem sprung up in a brand new car and it speaks out my frustration if i received a lemon .
That is the damper, if the sound didn't go away after replacement then obviously its not the culprit. If the sound comes when the rear suspension extends after compressing it could be a damper issue (already checked), spring seating issue, or an issue with the rear torsion beam itself. Now you should write to Maruti get this looked into in more detail. Why do you want to waste your time, you have already given them enough time. Now change the dealer/write to Maruti or do both.

Quote:
It sounds similar to metal hitting metal and also spring oriented. It comes only when the rear comes down after climbing the hump. It precisely comes when the suspension is compressed.
When the spring is compressed or when compressed and released? The two parts in bold have got me confused.

Last edited by Sankar : 28th October 2014 at 18:36.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 21:43   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Did they check the rubber seating bush used below the spring (from your picture, where part#2 sits on the plate-like base between parts 4 & 5)? I remember my Accent having a similar issue where the rubber bush had hardened/cracked on the right rear suspension, and a small stone got lodged there causing grinding noises when the spring was unloaded/loaded.

I remember the issue distinctly because Hyundai A.S.S. tried hard to sell me a new damper, but I insisted it was something else. I was finally vindicated when a new damper didn't remove the issue. I made them remove the spring assembly to check and they found the stone.

Your problem may be small (bad bushings) or big (component defect/failure), but it doesn't hurt to check the small/obvious bits first. A.S.S. tends to do what costs the most (for obvious reasons), irrespective of the scale of the issue.

Definitely consider switching dealers if you're dissatisfied with service at your current one.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th October 2014 at 21:45.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 22:13   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
That is the damper, if the sound didn't go away after replacement then obviously its not the culprit. If the sound comes when the rear suspension extends after compressing it could be a damper issue (already checked), spring seating issue, or an issue with the rear torsion beam itself. Now you should write to Maruti get this looked into in more detail. Why do you want to waste your time, you have already given them enough time. Now change the dealer/write to Maruti or do both.

When the spring is compressed or when compressed and released? The two parts in bold have got me confused.
Precisely when it compresses fully and completely. Small bumps may not blurt the sound. After the rear wheel is on top of the hump, the moment it comes down, the suspension is compressed, and that is when the sound comes.

For one last time, i am going to try Pratham for the chief SM, if not solved, i am writing this to Maruti. What a headache !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Did they check the rubber seating bush used below the spring (from your picture, where part#2 sits on the plate-like base between parts 4 & 5)? I remember my Accent having a similar issue where the rubber bush had hardened/cracked on the right rear suspension, and a small stone got lodged there causing grinding noises when the spring was unloaded/loaded.

I remember the issue distinctly because Hyundai A.S.S. tried hard to sell me a new damper, but I insisted it was something else. I was finally vindicated when a new damper didn't remove the issue. I made them remove the spring assembly to check and they found the stone.

Your problem may be small (bad bushings) or big (component defect/failure), but it doesn't hurt to check the small/obvious bits first. A.S.S. tends to do what costs the most (for obvious reasons), irrespective of the scale of the issue.

Definitely consider switching dealers if you're dissatisfied with service at your current one.

I am yet to look into whether they have checked the part you mentioned. The problem is if i leave my car with them, they might grease it again saying the problem is solved. I have to sit with them in the workshop and see what is being done. But the time for it is a problem.

I wasted 4 sittings with these men, when they could not even figure out the issue. The whole point is the happiness of a new car is very very short lived with Maruti here and i have every right to blame Maruti for the quality of the product given to me. No one can talk me out of it.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th October 2014 at 22:50. Reason: Quoted post has been edited to remove Fiat comments, Lets keep Fiat out of this, thanks :)
Rubbertramps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote