Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 17th September 2009, 20:57   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
12v / 30 AMPS. There is wiring harness kit with relay from Roots, which comes with the required fuses and ceramic holders and should cost less than 600 bucks. Just make sure the relays are of the right rating and not 24v (like i had it first!)

For bulbs, I went with Philips Rally 100/90's - 150 each (thanks to nitrous for the suggestion- they are pretty good)!

Do we have to drill holes for the Roots relay during the lights upgrade ? My installer was talking about some PMP relay kit . Anybody heard of this ??

Where do we get this Roots relay kit in Bangalore ?
Old 17th September 2009, 22:55   #212
Senior - BHPian

Nopes- no need to drill any holes in the relay. The Roots kit is pretty common, should be available in any car electrical store...
Old 18th September 2009, 07:33   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
Do we have to drill holes for the Roots relay during the lights upgrade ? My installer was talking about some PMP relay kit . Anybody heard of this ??

Where do we get this Roots relay kit in Bangalore ?
yes PMP is a brand that makes relays. most installers stock there roots kits check out with Blueraven

Quote:
Nopes- no need to drill any holes in the relay. The Roots kit is pretty common, should be available in any car electrical store...

why woudl anyone want to drill holes in the relay !

if its for installing the relay there are enpough point which are available for doing that in the enine bay , drilling is the easy way out for the installer , dont let him do that .
Old 18th September 2009, 08:04   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
yes PMP is a brand that makes relays. most installers stock there roots kits check out with Blueraven

why woudl anyone want to drill holes in the relay !

if its for installing the relay there are enpough point which are available for doing that in the enine bay , drilling is the easy way out for the installer , dont let him do that .

What I meant was, Do we have to drill any holes in the lamp casing for the wires to pass from the relay or the lights could be connected to the holders as usual.

Is the Roots kit better or the PMP ?
I am planning for the lamp and horn upgrade .
Old 23rd September 2009, 03:57   #215
Senior - BHPian

Default Chennai > Hassan > Mudigere > Mullayyanagiri > Muthodi - 1400 KM rocket ride :)

Long Weekend!!

neoranjit and ph03n!x want to take off- but where? who else?

People hop in and hop out. Mail threads get exchanged. Finally a group of 3 take off in a Santro from Hyderabad.
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-01-santro.jpg

Two hours later another group of three take off in my rocket...
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-02-tbhpongetz.jpg
(Wasn't so dirty when we started )

Night drive on the Chennai - Bangalore highway was child's play- no pedestrians, two-wheelers, and contraptions crossing unexpected. Just mind the heavy vehicles, signal properly and hit it! We crossed Electronic city in about 4.5 hours, sedate driving of 100 - 120, with occasional 140 bursts and two tea breaks.

This is where my spirits, and the rocket's speedo needle, rose...
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-0301-nece.jpg

...and touched 160. Maintained 140 for most part.
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-0302-140.jpg

After Tumkur and Tiptur, we were supposed to get to Hassan. There was a better route which we missed- and the punishment was BAD BAD BAD roads! Rolled in 1st and 2nd for what seemed to be ages. Finally reached...
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-0303-hassan.jpg

Met up with another friend who joined us with his Accent CRDi. We had a quick rest, left back the Santro and moved on to...
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-0304-giridharshini.jpg

This is what happens if a speeding lorry splashes on you
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-04-mudongetz-2.jpg

End of a long day- dead beat, even the beasts. The Accent CRDi has clocked 70+k on the clock...
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-05-beasts-rest.jpg
Old 23rd September 2009, 04:09   #216
Senior - BHPian

We start off the ride after a good night's rest, and this is what we see...
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-06-lorry-accident.jpg

We drive on, and I get a reminiscence...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference

Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-08-road-less-travelled.jpg

...so I take the one less traveled (in)
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-07-jayanthonroadroller.jpg

We head up the hills, hair-pin bends et all...
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-09-getz-curve-1.jpg

...and into clouds!
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-10-getz-mist.jpg

We have three cameras clicking away to glory- one sharp-shooter being...
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-11-ranjit.jpg

...who takes breath-taking clips
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-12-eagles-eyeview.jpg

We reach the top of the hill...
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-13-mullayyanagiri-board.jpg

...and this is where we got to!
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-14-steps-start.jpg

Pant, uffff, ahhhh, pant some more- and finally the top- it is not always lonely at the top, is it?
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-15-top-hill.jpg

We have a temple with a Shiva Lingam. After a quick prayer and a few minutes of rest, we start our drive back.
Old 23rd September 2009, 04:14   #217
Senior - BHPian

Why is it that the drive back is always faster than the way on?

Maybe because its downhill, maybe we are tad familiar with the geography- but both the rockets raced back...
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-16-accent-n-getz.jpg

...and reached here.
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-17-bhadra-board.jpg

It was kinda late when we reached. It started raining, and the group who just got back from a safari said they didn't spot even a deer. But we did spot one Tiger before heading off, without the safari-
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-18-bhadra-shirt.jpg

Back to base- and a camp-fire before snoring off to glory!
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-19-camp-fire.jpg

End of Day Two.
Old 23rd September 2009, 04:33   #218
Senior - BHPian

We start off at about 8AM the next morning, travel our way back and reach Chennai by about 8PM- and it was 9:30 PM by the time I dropped everyone off and reach home.

A few observations on the car's performance:

I filled at the Ekayaars BP fuel station in Venkatnarayana Road, T.Nagar on our way on. This is my first non-Shell filling after a long time. It does not show much difference under normal driving conditions, but if the road is tad up-hill, and if you are in 4th gear at 1500 RPM, it takes ages to hit the turbo- had to shift down to 3rd and then take it up. I have never noticed this lag at 1500 in 4th while on Shell, even on similar/ same roads. I filled again at an IOC in Hassan, and then at a BP in Hosur, no improvement noted.

The mileage returned was as expected- about 15. We got 450+ KM for the first half tank, but the gauge dropped to 1/4th for the next 100 itself, thanks to 1st/ 2nd gear driving over non-existant roads.

The top speed hit was 170KM in NICE stretch. Boy, what a road that is! I hope flights don't accidentally land there . The 170 was for just 10-15 seconds. It did not climb up further much, though I floored it at 170- maybe it would have had I kept it floored for longer, but then vehicles started showing up in front, and I let it off.

The guys in the other car complained that my engine was making a ruckus- I felt it was louder because of K&N, but the sound is much higher than I thought, especially outside the car/ windows down inside. Thinking of putting in the stock filter back to see how much the sound goes down, and what do I feel about the performance.

My left-rear wheel still fouls the arch, more so if someone is sitting on that side. I have rotated my wheels already, and Hyundai A.S.S found no fault. I do not feel anything wrong in handling, even while at 170 KMPH. I was rear-ended by an Innova on the ECR a while ago, and I have a rattling in the rear-right bumper, which is not aligned properly now. Will get the bumper aligned properly, maybe something will get fixed if I do that- high hopes! Else I will have to roll the sleeves of the wheel arch. I kinda noticed where it fouls and how thick is the area of the arch that fouls...

The brakes are good on clear tarmac. If there is gravel or sand, it WILL skid on moderately hard braking! Had a scare, when the Accent CRDi had to brake suddenly! Rear discs will definitely help.

The S.Drives behaved pretty well. neoranjit pointed out a mild tire squeal at high speed turnings, though. Also, if the road is wet and if one wheel is going over more water than the other, the steering tends to steer a bit in that wheel's side on its own- this took a bit of getting used to- had to hold on tight to the wheel with both hands while on watery surface.

Finally neoranjit's take on the rocket- "The engine is definitely a 5 Lakh engine, but the car is not. Interiors and features could have been better...". I have to agree.
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:32   #219
BHPian

@phoenix - looks like you had fun! now lets plan the next trip!
You ve made a valid point - for the price the getz crdi was selling at, at least ABS was required even if they missed out on sprucing up the interiors.
And I told you the other day itself. It feels like theres a monster inside your hood. It sure makes a lottttt of noise!
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:10   #220
Senior - BHPian

Forget ABS- I kinda can do without ABS, but a 4-wheel disc setup alone would have been great. And softer, non-beige stock seats. And no stupid fake-wood in the console
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:36   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Forget ABS- I kinda can do without ABS, but a 4-wheel disc setup alone would have been great. And softer, non-beige stock seats. And no stupid fake-wood in the console
Hmmm! dont ever do that even if you get a chance because the braking should be more on the front than on the rear in front wheel driven cars. If discs are there at the rear then we need to either have EBD or ABS.

Shyam
Old 24th September 2009, 01:04   #222
BHPian

Nice travelogue experience ph03n!x...

When are we planning our next trip?
Old 24th September 2009, 01:10   #223
BHPian

Hey Jayanth... Looks like you guys had fun! Anymore pics?

Cheers!
Goutham
Old 24th September 2009, 03:09   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
Hmmm! dont ever do that even if you get a chance because the braking should be more on the front than on the rear in front wheel driven cars. If discs are there at the rear then we need to either have EBD or ABS.

Shyam
I am never going to attempt a rear wheel disc conversion, if thats what you mean..! But all-wheel discs have been in existence since the '60s, while a ABS had to wait till the '70s to attain maturity.

Though I am not sure of a current non-EBD implementation of 4-wheel discs, it strikes logical to make the rear calipers brake less harder than the front calipers- providing an effect similar to the drums, but without the attached servo effect or fade. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarman_008 View Post
Nice travelogue experience ph03n!x...

When are we planning our next trip?
Oct 2~4?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_rider View Post
Hey Jayanth... Looks like you guys had fun! Anymore pics?

Cheers!
Goutham
Quite a few- this is only an abstract! Drop in to EW sometime, or until we drop in to NW
Old 3rd October 2009, 05:20   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Quite a few- this is only an abstract! Drop in to EW sometime, or until we drop in to NW
Great... You guys come back from the pondy trip, I can then catch-up on both

Edit: BTW is the headlight cover work done?
Closed Thread