Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 27th March 2010, 06:30   #241
Senior - BHPian

While it is logically possible to get the rear discs fitted, it is not advisable to mess with the braking. I am not sure about retrofitting ABS though, as it involves the ECU too.

Rear defogger and wiper is possible, you have to change the rear glass and lay the wires / lines for the defogger and wiper - would be a costly errand (I think my SA said it will be >30k to get all that done long back when I checked with him).
Old 28th March 2010, 05:45   #242
Senior - BHPian

Default K&N cleaning!

Between the stock paper filter and the K&N, the car has covered 17k KMs. While I plan to get the stock filter replaced, I decided to have the K&N cleaned. I got it from Tyre Store, and was not able to clean it the last time I went in for a tyre rotation as it was a Sunday and the right person was not there. When I headed there on Friday, I had the K&N in my boot and the car was running on stock filters. I was told it would take about 2 hours for the filter to be dried, and if I want to leave it there and collect it later. I got curious on the cleaning process, and Deepak was kind enough was explain the simple process involved.

I bought the cleaning kit that has the airfilter cleaner spray and the recharge oil squeeze bottle - looks similar to this. The filter I have is the stock replacement filter, part number 33-2094. Dusted the filter gently - there were even leaves and twigs on the dirty side!!

Sprayed the cleaner liquid on the filter and let is soak for about 15 ~ 20 minutes, and washed it under tap water. Let it dry over night, and the next morning used the squeeze bottle with oil to "rechanrge" it. My model says it requires about 17 ml (0.58 oz) of oil, but I ended up using close to 1 oz (according to the bottle's display). Let the oil soak for a while (I left if for 2 or 3 hours), and then put the filter back in. I also had the ECU fuses unplugged for about 15 minutes before driving off.

If I have not mentioned earlier, the difference between stock filter and the K&N is pretty obvious:
  • I can hear the engine noise a bit more when the K&N is there - not too much, but yes it is more audible.
  • The turbo lag is almost non-existent! When I switched to the stock filter for cleaning the K&N, I kind of realized what difference the K&N makes.
    • With K&N, driving at 1250 ~ 1750 RPM is effortless, and the car pulls neatly from 1500 to 1750, and hits the turbo nicely.
    • On stock filter, there is a wait from being at 1500 to hit 1750+ RPM - the infamous turbo-lag!
  • When you are crossing 2000+ RPM, the growl of the air intake is a pleasure to hear!!

All those rocket owners - both Verna and Getz: Try the K&N stock replacement (or an equivalent from piper cross or green cotton) if you already have not switched to it, you will enjoy it for sure!

Important Note: This is more for Getz owners, but should be applicable to Verna too - when I had the K&N installed first, the engine sound increased a lot. @pras.oct25 even commented it sounds like a monster. I later found out that the air filter box was not closed properly, and the locking notch at the left top was not in its slot. If you are going for this filter change, make sure you check both the locking notches at the left side of the filter box, and ensure the box is clamped shut properly.

A few questions:
  1. The car would have done about 10k KM with the K&N. Deepak told that the filter does not need cleaning till 25k KM, and the K7N site / instructions say 50000 miles (!!!) on normal use and 25000 miles on dusty environment. I am going to stick with 7500 KM cleaning schedule - what do you guys think?
  2. The cleaning fluid was supposed to be for use thrice. But going by the instructions, it would come for at least twice that - the 8 oz oil container should be good for 14 - 15 oil recharges at the recommended 0.58 oz per recharge. What was your experience?

Last edited by ph03n!x : 28th March 2010 at 05:50.
Old 28th March 2010, 10:03   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I kind of realized what difference the K&N makes.
    • With K&N, driving at 1250 ~ 1750 RPM is effortless, and the car pulls neatly from 1500 to 1750, and hits the turbo nicely.
    • On stock filter, there is a wait from being at 1500 to hit 1750+ RPM - the infamous turbo-lag!
  • When you are crossing 2000+ RPM, the growl of the air intake is a pleasure to hear!!
All those rocket owners - both Verna and Getz: Try the K&N stock replacement (or an equivalent from piper cross or green cotton) if you already have not switched to it, you will enjoy it for sure!

Important Note: This is more for Getz owners, but should be applicable to Verna too - when I had the K&N installed first, the engine sound increased a lot. @pras.oct25 even commented it sounds like a monster. I later found out that the air filter box was not closed properly, and the locking notch at the left top was not in its slot. If you are going for this filter change, make sure you check both the locking notches at the left side of the filter box, and ensure the box is clamped shut properly.
After reading all that I am now interested in the air filter for my car! I dont enjoy that initial turbo lag but have not picked up a green cotton or k&n only because based on the amount I run my car I dont know if its worth the investment. (yes i'm the stupid guy who is under using his diesel big time)
Any comparisons between green cotton and k&n in terms of noise/performance/benefits? And how much quieter did the car become after that one time I drove it and found it very noisy?
A few comments on the maintenance of the filter - cost of the cleaning kit, how long it'll last and cleaning intervals (in km)?

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 28th March 2010 at 10:05.
Old 28th March 2010, 10:35   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal
I too have a getz CRDI.. In some of your photos, i saw the idling was less than 1000 i.,e some where about 850 ~ 900, but in my case it's always around 950~1000 even after getting heated.
I tried to get it back to about 850 ish, but the SA at the service centre tells me that , he cannot set the idling as everything is set by the ECU. He even reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery terminals and later tells me that it is pretty much 850, but the meter shows about 950..

I am running on stock filter and palnning to change to either K&N or the green cotton with the synthetic oil change in the next 3~5k KMS. I have presently done about 12k.

What's your experience with the K&N filter ? what oil are u running ?

Appreciate your inputs.
Quote is from my PM.

The idling in my rocket (as well as a few that I have seen) has always been ~900 RPM, have never seen it go below or above no matter if the engine is cold or warm. As you have tried clearing out the ECU, let me know a few things about the car - what engine oil? what Diesel? How often do you service? When did you last change the filters (Diesel / Air / Oil)?

I was initially pretty unsatisfied with the K&N - like I have said in my earlier post, the car's clatter got a lot louder and I switched back to stock filter. While removing the K&N itself I noticed that the air filter box was not closed properly by the jug head who put in for me. After a few thousand clicks on the ODO, I thought of giving K&N another try. This time I ensured I latch the air filter box properly, and sure enough the clatter was audible like before.

The clatter is a notch higher than stock - I can sense it, but none who usually travel with me has been able to (including my dad, who is a petrol head himself). With the stock filter, when the road is inclined upwards even a bit, it takes a while to hit the turbo in 4th if I am clocking at less than 1500 RPM - this lag has more or less disappeared with the K&N. This alone is good enough for me, I will vouch for the K&N.

I have driven on and off with the K&N for more than 10000 KM already, and have not sensed any negatives in using it. I cleaned it a couple of days back, though the dealer as well as K&N website strongly says that cleaning is not required until 25000 even if the filter looks dirty.

The engine oil I am using for the last 10000 KM is Mobile 1 Delvac MX. I change the oil every 5000 KM, and the oil filter every 10000 KM. I am also planning to go Synthetic on my 20000 KM service (currently clocked 17100).

I see that you are from Bangalore - if you happen to come down here, or if I come there sometime (not until May or so), we can meet up and exchange notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
After reading all that I am now interested in the air filter for my car! I dont enjoy that initial turbo lag but have not picked up a green cotton or k&n only because based on the amount I run my car I dont know if its worth the investment. (yes i'm the stupid guy who is under using his diesel big time)
Any comparisons between green cotton and k&n in terms of noise/performance/benefits? And how much quieter did the car become after that one time I drove it and found it very noisy?
A few comments on the maintenance of the filter - cost of the cleaning kit, how long it'll last and cleaning intervals (in km)?
Have you not heard my car after that - we recently drove from President to Alwarpet, remember? That was with the K&N. Try it out sometime - I could have showed you the difference between stock and K&N last week - I just disposed off my stock, and will be getting a new stock paper filter during this service just in case.

The cleaning kit for the K7N comes with an MRP of 995 bucks, and from the looks of it I can use it 6 to 8 times - the recommended cleaning interval is 25000 KM, though I plan to clean it every 7500 KM.

Not sure about comparisons between Green Cotton or Piper Cross or K&N - I remember seeing one a while ago (there was a thread), but it seemed pretty skewed. IMHO all serve their purpose beautifully - go with the one you are comfortable with. K&N comes with a 100000 KM warranty, am sure others too would have the same.

On the side note: I think K&N and such filters are pretty reliable because had there been a problem because of these filters been encountered in the US (where K&N is made), am sure the company would have been sued to bankruptcy!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 28th March 2010 at 10:37.
Old 28th March 2010, 14:41   #245
Senior - BHPian

Phoenix

1. I would suggest u to keep monitoring the condition of air filter on regular basis say once in 2.5k kms.
25000 kms without cleaning is almost next to impossible with this engine and our dusty Indian condition.

I have done 40k kms with Green filter and have cleaned it 9 times. Once the filter got clogged within 5k kms and the engine almost tried to suck it in. The fins of the filter got deformed into zig zag shape and while dusting almost 100gms of black dust came out. Pics and its details are there on my ownership thread.

2. The Cleaning fluid bottle should be good for cleaning it 5~6 times.
Oil bottle will easily last for 20 cleanings.

Last edited by kpzen : 28th March 2010 at 14:42.
Old 28th March 2010, 18:29   #246
BHPian

@phoenix - I wanted to test your car with and without the filter, but youve gotten rid of your stock one. I think the real test will be to actually drive the car rather than trying to compare the sound from outside.
You also mentioned warranty - what kind of damage is covered under warranty?

@kp - By your experience, wouldnt these filters be considered a risk? It seems that if you happen to miss out on checking the condition of the filter at some point for whatever reason, it might end up with all kinds of problems. In the long run, is the filter really worth the effort and cost of the filter+cleaning kit(s)?
Old 28th March 2010, 20:18   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Phoenix

1. I would suggest u to keep monitoring the condition of air filter on regular basis say once in 2.5k kms. 25000 kms without cleaning is almost next to impossible with this engine and our dusty Indian condition.

I have done 40k kms with Green filter and have cleaned it 9 times. Once the filter got clogged within 5k kms and the engine almost tried to suck it in. The fins of the filter got deformed into zig zag shape and while dusting almost 100gms of black dust came out. Pics and its details are there on my ownership thread.

2. The Cleaning fluid bottle should be good for cleaning it 5~6 times.
Oil bottle will easily last for 20 cleanings.
Thanks KP. I have already seen your experience in your thread

When I cleaned it this time (my first cleaning attempt) after ~10k with the filter, I could not get much loose dust. There was a bunch stuck on the filter and there was some muck that came out when I washed it - I even had twigs and leaves on the bottom side! But I could still see light if I held the filter against a light source (not uniformly like in a clean filter, but at places)!

I will keep checking the filter often (once in 2 weeks or so, when I shampoo wash her!).

Quote:
@phoenix - I wanted to test your car with and without the filter, but youve gotten rid of your stock one. I think the real test will be to actually drive the car rather than trying to compare the sound from outside.
You also mentioned warranty - what kind of damage is covered under warranty?
For all your FAQs - K&N Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Well, you can try the driveability part, and the turbo lag part and how it feels with the K&N. I dont think I will be going stock anytime soon
Old 30th March 2010, 11:58   #248
BHPian

wow, love those pedals. How much did they cost?
Old 30th March 2010, 13:01   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@kp -

By your experience, wouldnt these filters be considered a risk? It seems that if you happen to miss out on checking the condition of the filter at some point for whatever reason, it might end up with all kinds of problems.

In the long run, is the filter really worth the effort and cost of the filter+cleaning kit(s)?
When the filter starts getting clogged, the engine won't pull effortlessly. Although its difficult to notice with such amount of torque at your disposal but still u will feel the difference if u drive the same car daily..

I'm not sure what will happen in the long run but so far so good in 53k kms.
Cost of filter + cleaning till now has been approx 4.5 k.

Phoenix

Bangalore and Chennai are less dustier than North India. Recently my filter got choked in 3000 kms after the last cleaning.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:46   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safin View Post
wow, love those pedals. How much did they cost?
Should cost about US$100 ~ 130's equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Phoenix

Bangalore and Chennai are less dustier than North India. Recently my filter got choked in 3000 kms after the last cleaning.
Whoa! 3000 KM between clean-ups?!! Do you go for desert drags by any chance?!!

But seriously, could it be that with the tuning box, the car is sucking in air with more vigor, and hence the filter gets dusty often? Have you thought of closing off the CAI that comes stock, and going for a hood?
Old 30th March 2010, 21:04   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

Whoa! 3000 KM between clean-ups?!! Do you go for desert drags by any chance?!!

But seriously, could it be that with the tuning box, the car is sucking in air with more vigor, and hence the filter gets dusty often? Have you thought of closing off the CAI that comes stock, and going for a hood?
Its almost like a desert here with too many construction sites on my daily route.

I might hold the record for cleaning the filter in minimum time and kms. Last October i cleaned the filter within 9 days of cleaning but that was acceptable since i covered 5500 kms in 8 days.

Closing the CAI and modifying the hood would be a major project and with so much space constraint in the engine bay, its won't be easy IMO. Anyways, i prefer stock cars.
Old 30th March 2010, 23:51   #252
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-system-2.html
Old 31st March 2010, 20:23   #253
BHPian

Hmmm! I am using the GC filter too. I clean the filter every 2500km :(. Got so bugged that i started using the stock filter again. It gets clogged every 2500km for me because i drive i peak traffic times.

Love those foot pedals there ph03n!x.
Old 1st April 2010, 23:35   #254
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Hey nice review there phoenix, i'm gonna get the filter this week for sure!
Old 2nd April 2010, 02:29   #255
Senior - BHPian

After reading your review, I have also decided to go in for the K&N filters for my car. My warranty is yet to expire, but I think I will chuck it and give in to temptation
Closed Thread