Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 27th July 2010, 09:36   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
185/65 R14 A.Drives it is then - gotta source some stock rims now, find prices. If I am getting it from outside, should I also be worrying about offset et all for steel rims?!
Nothing to worry about the stock rims..
Quote:
Also, now that am "back to stock", any idea about the OE plastic wheel covers? Dont want to run around with the naked wheels
Those wheel caps are freaking expensive and not readily available @ Hyundai service stations. Each one costs around Rs 800 approx.

A set of i20 alloys is available for 10k here.

Last edited by kpzen : 27th July 2010 at 09:49.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:46   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
@phoenix - I found the braking brilliant in the BFGs in comparison to my CPCs. The ride was a little harder but the grip was good. Noise? it was as bad as the CPCs which are supposed to be comfort and noise free tyres.As for the size the best size in the 14" would be 195/60 R14 but if you are crazy you can go in for 205s but i doubt any good brand has the 205s. AD-07s are the bestest choice but then i am not sure how long they would last with a front end heavy car like ours. So do take your time and decide and as kp said drive the existing tyres for the next 10k kms. It would give you enough time to decide.

Shyam
Prasanna was telling me yesterday about your rocket's tires... I am still toying between Michelin XM1+, Yoko A.Drives and CPC2. And I am leaning more towards comfort, planning to stick to 185's for now! I cannot drive another 10k on these tires, as I bought a set of four tires when I went 15" a year ago - if I buy one new 15" S.Drives now, that would be the odd one in the set then! Does BFG have variants (like A.Drives / S.Drives) or is it just one variant that they sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
A set of i20 alloys are available for 10k here.
I will check about the i20 alloys, but I have actually chosen what alloys to go for later on Let me still check what deals I can get here...

Last edited by ph03n!x : 27th July 2010 at 09:53.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:56   #333
Senior - BHPian

ph03n!x
Get stock rims now and buy Yoko A Drive 185/65-14.
Even i am in similar situation as yours. Recently bought 4 stock rims for 1200.
Will get tyres after some more time.
My car has done ~24K. current tyres will last for another 20K for sure. So planning to sell alloys+tyres.
As KP suggested, i20 alloys for 10K is good price and they look good too.
Atleast we wont be having offset issues
Old 27th July 2010, 12:11   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
@phoenix - I still think you should go with 195s.
I have already used 195/60-14 Michelin PP1 and there is nothing great about that size.
GC increases by ~6-7mm.
185/65-14 will be better choice IMO.

Last edited by djay99 : 27th July 2010 at 12:21.
Old 27th July 2010, 18:46   #335
Senior - BHPian

4 steel rims, the stock plastic wheel covers and 185/65 R14 A.Drives - this is what I have in mind. Not sure how to source the wheel covers without paying a bomb, and not so keen on the i20 alloys - dont want to spend as much when am going for different alloys anyways.

The only thing against A.Drives is that I have heard (@hellstar, et all) that they tend to give way at constant high speed driving (~140KMPH+) - that is a gamble I am willing to take, as such blasts never were for more than 5 minutes at a stretch in my highway drives. Fingers crossed!
Old 28th July 2010, 15:32   #336
Senior - BHPian

A question to postpone the imminent expenses of 4 new set of tires and alloys - can I use this tire with a tube inside for, say, 5000 KM more and then change the set?? Is there a risk involved, considering the damaged tire is the rear right wheel?
Old 28th July 2010, 15:42   #337
BHPian

it is better to change atleast the one tyre that is damanged. say you exchange the damanged tyre with a new tyre which has the sam eprofile as the other 3 tyres! you can surely run for another 10k.
Old 28th July 2010, 15:51   #338
BHPian

Quote:
The only thing against A.Drives is that I have heard (@hellstar, et all) that they tend to give way at constant high speed driving (~140KMPH+) - that is a gamble I am willing to take, as such blasts never were for more than 5 minutes at a stretch in my highway drives. Fingers crossed!
On a chennai to bangalore trip, for example, our cars would average around 120kmph for the entire highway journey. Is this still not considered as prolonged high speed driving? Take into consideration that now and then you will be braking heavily as well since there are always clowns available on the way, your tires will take a real toll.
Old 28th July 2010, 18:43   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A question to postpone the imminent expenses of 4 new set of tires and alloys - can I use this tire with a tube inside for, say, 5000 KM more and then change the set?? Is there a risk involved, considering the damaged tire is the rear right wheel?
Now, you are thinking smart. Just put a tube inside and have it as a stepney!!

But finding a tube for low profile tires is a pain!!

Quote:
On a chennai to bangalore trip, for example, our cars would average around 120kmph for the entire highway journey. Is this still not considered as prolonged high speed driving? Take into consideration that now and then you will be braking heavily as well since there are always clowns available on the way, your tires will take a real toll.
Prasanna, I guess its Ok as long as one anticipates braking and AVOID LATE BRAKING, SHOULDERING ETC.

Drive the car sedately even at 160 kph is not an issue for the tires IMO.

Ofcourse, the tyre experts can throw more light!!
Old 28th July 2010, 20:34   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
it is better to change atleast the one tyre that is damanged. say you exchange the damanged tyre with a new tyre which has the sam eprofile as the other 3 tyres! you can surely run for another 10k.
Thanks mate. The prob is I bought only 4 of these 195/55 R15 tires, and use the stock 175/65 R14 as spare. If I buy one new tire, the remaining set will wear out in another 10k, while this will remain pretty new - and I want to go back to 14" after I wear out this set!
Quote:
IIRC, from Hellstar's experience, it was speeds exceeding 140, and braking/ cornering maneuvers that made the A.Drives act up. I am not 100% on A.Drives yet, and will buy something that balances handling and comfort - but am leaning more towards the A's...
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Now, you are thinking smart. Just put a tube inside and have it as a stepney!!
I cant use this as a spare, coz my actual spare is a 14" stock But, like we discussed, am going to find a tube for this one and use it sedately for another 5 or 10k (or until it gives way), and then buy a new set of 14" tires and rims. This tire is in the rear wheel already, so am guessing I wont face much of a difficulty in stopping safely even if the worst happens.
Old 28th July 2010, 22:45   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate. The prob is I bought only 4 of these 195/55 R15 tires, and use the stock 175/65 R14 as spare. If I buy one new tire, the remaining set will wear out in another 10k, while this will remain pretty new - and I want to go back to 14" after I wear out this set!
Buy a new tire and while shifting to 14" put this new tire as stepney.
A +1 size tubeless tire would be a better spare wheel than those crappy stock tube type tires.
But i guess you might have difficulty in disposing the set of 3 wheels while shifting to 14".
Tricky situation
Old 28th July 2010, 23:50   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Buy a new tire and while shifting to 14" put this new tire as stepney.
A +1 size tubeless tire would be a better spare wheel than those crappy stock tube type tires.
But i guess you might have difficulty in disposing the set of 3 wheels while shifting to 14".
Tricky situation
But then, I wont be able to sell off one of the 15" alloys if I use the new tire I buy now as spare Tricky indeed - thinking I will give the tube-inside-tubeless a try, seems to be the best way out for now. What say?
Old 29th July 2010, 07:56   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
@Undead - Did you have the BFGs installed on the stock rims or on 6J alloys?

Shyam
6J alloys. At first they felt good for me. But now i have clocked 46000kms and the suspension has done quite a bit , doesnt feel the same.

@phoenix : Try not to push your vehicle hard. No need of performance tires. Fit in comfort tires, ride her smoothly and you will be rewarded with good FE and long term engine life. I push her only when i need to overtake the trucks. To be safe on A-drives , keep them at max 120kmph. May be i am speaking like as i have been upgraded from bachelor to master.

Last edited by undead : 29th July 2010 at 08:01.
Old 29th July 2010, 09:49   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
May be i am speaking like as i have been upgraded from bachelor to master.
That explains why Mr Phoenix is giving so much thought to this
Old 29th July 2010, 11:19   #345

Hello,
I've been using Potenza G3 195/60 R14 for almost 6 months now, covered around 2000 KM. I find them to be much better than Turanza 175/65 R14 which i had earlier. I can feel the softness of the tires while driving on normal road. I think rubber compound of Potenza is softer than Turanza. Ride quality is surprisingly good and grip has also exceeded my expectation. I braked hard several times from 60-80kmph and the tires responded very well. Mileage is not at all affected. I'm getting 12-13 in city with P1 setting on RD box. Recently touched 180 speedo on Nice road and the tires behaved excellent on braking. I highly recommend Potenza G3

Thanks.
Closed Thread