Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 30th July 2010, 00:50   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
@phoenix : Try not to push your vehicle hard. No need of performance tires. Fit in comfort tires, ride her smoothly and you will be rewarded with good FE and long term engine life. I push her only when i need to overtake the trucks. To be safe on A-drives , keep them at max 120kmph. May be i am speaking like as i have been upgraded from bachelor to master.
I kinda agree with you - but when am doing a Chennai - Bangalore run, it might just be difficult to stay under 120. I have noticed several times how effortlessly and nonchalantly it reaches 140 without you realizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
That explains why Mr Phoenix is giving so much thought to this
losing bachelorhood does not mean forfeiting master-hood too! Am putting in so much thought because of two parallel projects am working on the car for - ICE and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furman View Post
Hello,
I've been using Potenza G3 195/60 R14 for almost 6 months now, covered around 2000 KM. I find them to be much better than Turanza 175/65 R14 which i had earlier. I can feel the softness of the tires while driving on normal road. I think rubber compound of Potenza is softer than Turanza. Ride quality is surprisingly good and grip has also exceeded my expectation. I braked hard several times from 60-80kmph and the tires responded very well. Mileage is not at all affected. I'm getting 12-13 in city with P1 setting on RD box. Recently touched 180 speedo on Nice road and the tires behaved excellent on braking. I highly recommend Potenza G3

Thanks.
Thanks @furman. I have never thought about the Bridgestones honestly. I think the car came from the factory with one (not sure which, though), and was wheel-spinning like crazy. Let me look up what those who have used the G3 for 10k or 15k KM have to say.

On second thoughts, I think my dad switched to Bridgestones in our Peugeot long back and said the tires are damn comfortable.
Old 30th July 2010, 02:38   #347
BHPian

@ph03nix- did your steering vibrate wen crossing speed over 120. ??

recenty picked up a set of 14" HRS(412) to go with my yoko A-drive 185/70/14 and soon after fitment i found the car steering to vibrate at speeds over 120 which was never the case on stock rims.. Could it be the weight of the alloys cuz HRS are really heavy alloys...
Old 30th July 2010, 12:06   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblood View Post
@ph03nix- did your steering vibrate wen crossing speed over 120. ??

recenty picked up a set of 14" HRS(412) to go with my yoko A-drive 185/70/14 and soon after fitment i found the car steering to vibrate at speeds over 120 which was never the case on stock rims.. Could it be the weight of the alloys cuz HRS are really heavy alloys...
Hey dude - long time since I heard any updates on your rocket! Did you Pete / RD it? How many clicks on the clock??

Steering vibrations may be caused due to improper balancing, or due to the the alloy not fitting snugly on the hub. You may have to check your balancing to rule that out first, and then see if you need hub spacer rings. Check this thread for more on the vibrations problem (Solution for vibrations after installing alloy wheels)

Last edited by ph03n!x : 30th July 2010 at 12:07.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:17   #349
Senior - BHPian

@Ravenblood,

First get wheel balancing and alignment done and then check the issue.

Is your car Getz? If YES then 185/70-14 is not a correct upsize. It should be 185/65-14 max.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:19   #350
Senior - BHPian

@ph03nix,
You can also search for one used tyre of 195/50-15 or 195/55-15 so that you can use the whole set for another 5K KM. This way you can save some money and is a safe option compared to fitting a tube inside damaged tyre.
Old 30th July 2010, 14:15   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
@ph03nix,
You can also search for one used tyre of 195/50-15 or 195/55-15 so that you can use the whole set for another 5K KM. This way you can save some money and is a safe option compared to fitting a tube inside damaged tyre.
My friend, a tube costs Rs. 200 - 250 whereas a used 195/50-15 costs much more. How does he save money then
Old 30th July 2010, 17:32   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
My friend, a tube costs Rs. 200 - 250 whereas a used 195/50-15 costs much more. How does he save money then
I did not compare a tube with an used tyre.
I compared cost of used tyre with a new tyre .
Hence he can save money buying an used tyre and this will be a safe option compared to driving a car with a damaged tyre (with tube)
Old 30th July 2010, 17:55   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I kinda agree with you - but when am doing a Chennai - Bangalore run, it might just be difficult to stay under 120. I have noticed several times how effortlessly and nonchalantly it reaches 140 without you realizing..
I know that . i have been driving on the Krishnagiri to chennai road often. Even this sunday i will coming there . But nowadays , little scared to do those speeds on the getz as on the last month i have hit - 2 goats(left mirror broken and bumper slightly damaged) , 1 dog & killed - 1 dog , 1 chicken , 1 koel bird. These animals crossed the road so close and i had little time to brake hard and react. If it was my elantra , i would feel little comfortable in those speeds as it got good brakes than Getz.
Old 30th July 2010, 23:21   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ph03nix,
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Quote:
I did not compare a tube with an used tyre.
I compared cost of used tyre with a new tyre .
Hence he can save money buying an used tyre and this will be a safe option compared to driving a car with a damaged tyre (with tube)
I have been reading up on using tubes in tubeless, and here is something that is getting me to think:

Quote:
It is a bad idea to put a tube into any tubeless tire. Tubeless tires have a considerably more robust construction than tube tires, which need the help of a tube of air to maintain sidewall stability and air pressure.

If we put a tube into a tubeless tire, there will be huge amounts of friction between the side of the tube and the inner liner of the tire. With every rotation, the sidewall will flex and rub against the tube. Friction equals heat. Heat is the ultimate enemy of tires, especially sidewalls. They are the weakest point of construction. Eventually the result will be BANG!
(Source)
One more discussion

Let me figure out just how risky it is - if the tube will stand for 5000 KM, I am good. Even if not, I can replace two or three tubes and take it to 10k of sedate speeds - if the cost is not as much as a second hand tire. Have to figure all that out tomorrow, will post some update then.

Quote:
I know that . i have been driving on the Krishnagiri to chennai road often. Even this sunday i will coming there . But nowadays , little scared to do those speeds on the getz as on the last month i have hit - 2 goats(left mirror broken and bumper slightly damaged) , 1 dog & killed - 1 dog , 1 chicken , 1 koel bird. These animals crossed the road so close and i had little time to brake hard and react. If it was my elantra , i would feel little comfortable in those speeds as it got good brakes than Getz.
See, that's because you get used to the luxury of ABS in the Elantra and get unused to the non-ABS rocket I am still pretty confidant that I can handle this rocket at high speed braking with the current tire setup atleast - have had some close braking encounters at 140+ speeds already, and the car behaved like I expected / wanted.
Old 1st August 2010, 08:33   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this on some highway or some road through a poultry farm ?? Just kidding. Drive safe

You have been spoilt by the big daddy CRDi.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:57   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me figure out just how risky it is - if the tube will stand for 5000 KM, I am good. Even if not, I can replace two or three tubes and take it to 10k of sedate speeds - if the cost is not as much as a second hand tire.
Do you think its possible?

I would suggest you to buy one cheap new tyre instead of taking that risk.
May be a Goodyear GT3 or MRF (if available)
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:26   #357
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE: Had the tire examined by Deepak (Tyre Store) today, and he said the I can manage with the tire as such for a few clicks more, in the meanwhile he will look out for used a 195/55 R15 tire that can last for 5k or so (until its time to have the set replaced) and let me know in a day or two. He did not want to venture into the tube-in-tire affair.

Also checked out some Momo alloys in 14"

Quote:
I would suggest you to buy one cheap new tyre instead of taking that risk.
May be a Goodyear GT3 or MRF (if available)
Hmm.. that is another option too - have to check if they are available in 195/55 R15.
Old 4th August 2010, 02:20   #358
BHPian

Quote:
After this happened, I am back to choosing alloys and tires. I am thinking of down sizing back to stock 14", and put 185/60 R14 footwear - which means new set of alloys.

Here's the pic from the other thread:

What the $%&^ ..this is the second tire you are going to change. Good that the lease company asked me not to touch the car for any mods ... ...is this the front or rear this time?

Will this tires be aged ones or is it becoz of the roads ...the cut seems to be big.

Quote:
185/65 R14 A.Drives it is then - gotta source some stock rims now, find prices. If I am getting it from outside, should I also be worrying about offset et all for steel rims?!

Thanks man, I thought I will never get back to stock size when I bought he rocket a year ago - learning experiences!!

I dont think it is the tire width that causes bumpiness, Prasanna. If anything, 185 should be less bumpy, as the contact patch is smaller compared to 195s. I am toying between BFG and A.Drives ever since we spoke, let's see...
Do you remember your tire dealer quoting that he can get back stock rims at the same rate which he took urs. Did you try with him ?

Why not Michelin Energy XM1+? Hope you are not going to take your ride for tracks...
Old 4th August 2010, 09:16   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
What the $%&^ ..this is the second tire you are going to change. Good that the lease company asked me not to touch the car for any mods ... ...is this the front or rear this time?

Will this tires be aged ones or is it becoz of the roads ...the cut seems to be big.

Do you remember your tire dealer quoting that he can get back stock rims at the same rate which he took urs. Did you try with him ?

Why not Michelin Energy XM1+? Hope you are not going to take your ride for tracks...
Haha I seem to have a weird luck with my tires - the first was thanks to a stone on a turning that I ran over, when the tires were pretty new. The sidewalls got sheared in that one. This is also the rear tire, but right one this time (last time it was the wrong one... er... the left one )

Yup, Deepak said he has rims lying around and I can pick them up. But am going to run with this tire / a second hand if I get one for a few more KM, and then get back to 14". Not made up my mind what tire to go for, though not necessarily a track-savvy tire, should be able to stand occasional blasts of 180+
Old 6th August 2010, 04:04   #360
BHPian

if its 14 inch alloys then we can team up for some aggressive search...i am going to complete the 1 year mark by this october. Planning to unleash my mod thoughts slowly by starting from the alloys (not the shoes as it is still covered under the 3 year bond)... gimme a call once you decide
Closed Thread