Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 22:38   #466
BHPian
 
Vdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palakkad, Kerala
Posts: 64
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

@ Ph03!x : Thank U, big relief since I'm on the majority side . I too had checked 120 kmph @ 2500 RPM. But couldn't check 140 kmph. The roads here are ranked first among worst.
Vdrive is offline  
Old 1st May 2011, 23:54   #467
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Prajesh, what mod did you do?? Open up now, you owe me for all the sleepless nights!!!
I think its the Petes.
Was driving the other Getz today, which has a brand new clutch. It was doing around 90kph @2000 RPM. So, its not the clutch. Sleep well
Will check my car without Petes and let you know.

Headers
Its not the tires.
I'm running a bigger OD tire in comparison to most Getz owners. So, the speedo will only under read.

Last edited by kpzen : 1st May 2011 at 23:55.
kpzen is offline  
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:05   #468
BHPian
 
krish3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cochin/Bangalore
Posts: 608
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

@ Ph03!x -: You've got my "4th @ 2000 rpm" speed wrong. Mine is also 70 odd at 2000 rpm.

Prajesh-: Does Pete's change the speed-rpm ratio? I thought the gearing determines the speed-rpm ratio and since Pete's doesnt change that, hmm...

Last edited by krish3 : 2nd May 2011 at 10:12.
krish3 is offline  
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:26   #469
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Here is an update on the 5th gear / 2000 RPM - 90 KMPH or 100 KMPH issue.

Looks like Prajesh (kpzen) is the only Getz CRDi with the different timing, and vdrive seems to have had a similar timings earlier, but now has fallen back to majority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Simple, His tyre OD must me higher than yours, else it is not possible!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I think its the Petes.
..
Headers
Its not the tires.
I'm running a bigger OD tire in comparison to most Getz owners. So, the speedo will only under read.
You are correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Prajesh-: Does Pete's change the speed-rpm ratio? I thought the gearing determines the speed-rpm ratio and since Pete's doesnt change that, hmm...
I am confused!!

I'm led to believe it is speedo error in KPZENs GETZ!!
headers is offline  
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:32   #470
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 27
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
You are correct!

I am confused!!

I'm led to believe it is speedo error in KPZENs GETZ!!
i have a 2008 November manufactured Getz CRDI on 195/60/R14 Michelin XM1+ Energy tyres on stock steel tims. My car does 97KMPH at 2000rpm on 5th gear & 77KMPH at 2000 rpm on 4th gear. This again is quite different from what the others have posted previously.
Am not using petes on any mods and the card has done 37K kms as of now. What could be the reason for this variance in speeds at different rpms for the same car.
Amit_GetzCRDI09 is offline  
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:28   #471
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

^^^

Some factors affecting the speed @ RPM in the same vehicle:

1. Type of fuel used.
2. Type of road - slope / slant / camber etc
3. Direction of wind [It does affect..trust me]
4. State of the filters [Air and fuel]
5. State of tune

etc etc.

Experts can elaborate on each of the above!
headers is offline  
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:46   #472
BHPian
 
Vdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palakkad, Kerala
Posts: 64
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

I doubt the precision of these instruments, whether it is RPM or KMPH. How can these show a variety of readings for the same kind of car ?
Vdrive is offline  
Old 4th May 2011, 23:15   #473
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,705
Thanked: 118 Times
Default The Yoko C.Drives, the Mobil Delvac 1, and My Rocket!!

I finally had a chance to go on a 1000 KM round trip last weekend, to Coimbatore and back. I had clocked 40911 when I started at about 5:30 AM of Saturday. I have traveled on the Chennai - Krishnagiri - Salem - Coimbatore route last year, and the Avinashi road section of the NH47 was pretty bad for about 30 KM. Naresh, a friend and fellow BHPian (smrtdvl) had posted (4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47) a route via Chengappalli, Uthukuli - Tirupur - Palladam - Coimbatore to bypass the under construction section of NH47, so marked it in Google Maps and started off on my way.

The tires had run for about 900 KM and were run-in, I guess. I did a max of 160 KMPH in the straights of NH47, and was doing 100 - 140 KMPH most of the time. The tires were pretty good in handling the speed, responded to the brakes as expected, and did not give me any nasty surprises. The steering too weighed up with speeds as always, and never felt light or disconnected. - Prajesh, I did the 160 KMPH just for you, to test this

There was situation while I was doing ~120 KMPH - a Qualis in front of me was overtaking a lorry from the right lane (Lorry in the left lane, NH47 is two-laned mostly). The lorry had to come a little towards the right lane as there was a two-wheeler in the left - this was while the Qualis was mid-way on overtaking the lorry, with me about 2 car's distance (~10 meters) behind. I saw the two wheeler, so I was expecting the lorry to move a bit towards the right - and the lorry was not going to cut into the right track, there was still ample space for the overtaking.

But Qualis driver, who does not know why the lorry is coming towards him, panic-braked. The Qualis, which was also doing close to 120 KMPH, swerved a bit towards the median and then a bit towards the lorry, screeching. The lorry almost stopped, the Qualis driver managed to control the car and complete the overtaking.

I had to brake sharply from 120 KMPH too, as vehicles in front of me in both the tracks are stopping suddenly - cut the gears to 3rd and braked, like I always do. The car handled it like I expected, lost as much momentum as I wanted, and helped me overtake the lorry after the Qualis without much drama - I should have slowed down to less than 50 KMPH - not sure how good or bad that is, but that was what I wanted.

That said, the S.Drives always gave me an on-the-rails feeling as far as high speed handling and cornering was concerned. I somehow did not feel confident cornering like that with the C.Drives, and was taking it easy at turns.

So here are my list of pro's and con's for the 185/65 R14 C.Drives:

+ Comfort - I no longer feel ever undulation on my butt like I used to with 195/55 R15 S.Drives
+ Economy - With hard driving of mostly ~120-130,reaching 160, keeping it above 100 most of the times, I got a mileage of 16.08 KMPL. My usual mileage with S.Drives with my style of highway driving was always 15- 15.5 KMPL
+ Braking - The brakes never surprised me, and always slowed or stopped like I wanted
+ Road Noise - After the lorry-like sound the S.Drives gives (at least in the last few 1000 KM), the C.Drives were oh-so-silent!!
+ Wet grip - The C.Drives are damn good at this, way better than the S.Drives. They do not aquaplane like the S.Drives, and have ample braking power too.

<> Longevity - Am reserving my verdict for now on this one. I went through some bad stretches at slow speeds, and flew over (literally) a road culvert in the Krishnagiri - Salem stretch. I also dropped the left side of the car today (front and back wheels) on my way to work on a dug up pit. Touchwood, the tires seem to stand it till now.

- Handling - While the tires are very very good for a daily city use and normal highway run, I have not gotten the confidence to corner hard. This could be a mental block, I may try this as I get used to the behaviour over the days to come. But they definitely do not have the on-the-rails feeling that my S.Drives used to give me - I traded that off when I went down to 185/65 in 14"
- Braking - I am marking this as a negative, though it will affect you *only* if you came to C.Drives after using a performance tire like the S.Drives and PP2. I am late braker (by this I mean I wont brake the moment I see the brake lights in front of me, and will give it a moment to see if I absolutely have to brake), and I had to plan my braking a tad earlier after I switched to C.Drives.

I will definitely recommend these tires for anyone looking for a comfortable option with ample handling and braking - mind you, these are my first set of comfort tires, I have never used a set of XM1+ or A.Drives till now.

And now for the Mobil Delvac 1 - The car has covered 2000 KM after the oil change and service, I think I can safely draw my observations without the smoothness one would feel immediately after the service. And here's what I observed-
  • During a cold start, the engine sound a bit harsh and loud for a second or two when I was with Delvac MX- this duration has now come down considerably
  • The Diesel clatter has also come down when the engine is cold, and is now almost inaudible if am standing at the car's back during a normal day.
  • I am tending to attribute the increase in my highway mileage by 1 KMPL to the C.Drives, but don't know what part the oil plays on that.
  • My car does not have temperature gauge, but IIRC the optimum temperature is reached around the same distance (I go by the time/ distance it takes for the blue light to go off).

Obviously, I cannot comment now about engine life or turbo life yet - I am hoping all the documented benefits of going Synth in terms of longer life is true, and worth the close to 4 times I paid for them. I am planning to double my change interval to 10k KM though, from the 5k KM I had with the Delvac MX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdrive View Post
@ Ph03!x : Thank U, big relief since I'm on the majority side . I too had checked 120 kmph @ 2500 RPM. But couldn't check 140 kmph. The roads here are ranked first among worst.
You have no idea how relieved I was after I got all the numbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I think its the Petes.
Was driving the other Getz today, which has a brand new clutch. It was doing around 90kph @2000 RPM. So, its not the clutch. Sleep well
Will check my car without Petes and let you know.

Headers
Its not the tires.
I'm running a bigger OD tire in comparison to most Getz owners. So, the speedo will only under read.
I wonder how Pete's will alter gear ratios, coz my understanding is that it's the gear ratios that convert the RPM to the respective in-gear KMPH. Pete's is only supposed to reach the RPM/ KMPH faster, right?

And yes, both of us are running the same tire size now - 185/65 R14!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
@ Ph03!x -: You've got my "4th @ 2000 rpm" speed wrong. Mine is also 70 odd at 2000 rpm.

Prajesh-: Does Pete's change the speed-rpm ratio? I thought the gearing determines the speed-rpm ratio and since Pete's doesnt change that, hmm...
Yup Krish - I should have put 70 KMPH @ 4th for your car too - somehow got it wrong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
You are correct!

I am confused!!

I'm led to believe it is speedo error in KPZENs GETZ!!
An error of 5 KMPH in 2nd gear and 10 KMPH each consistently in 3rd, 4th and 5th definitely seems unlikely?!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_GetzCRDI09 View Post
i have a 2008 November manufactured Getz CRDI on 195/60/R14 Michelin XM1+ Energy tyres on stock steel tims. My car does 97KMPH at 2000rpm on 5th gear & 77KMPH at 2000 rpm on 4th gear. This again is quite different from what the others have posted previously.
Am not using petes on any mods and the card has done 37K kms as of now. What could be the reason for this variance in speeds at different rpms for the same car.
Can you check the speeds at the 2nd and 3rd too? Just for comparison's sake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
^^^

Some factors affecting the speed @ RPM in the same vehicle:

1. Type of fuel used.
2. Type of road - slope / slant / camber etc
3. Direction of wind [It does affect..trust me]
4. State of the filters [Air and fuel]
5. State of tune

etc etc.

Experts can elaborate on each of the above!
Umm... Like I had said above in this post, my understanding is that it's the gear ratios that convert the RPM to the respective in-gear KMPH. The only factor here would be the clutch slipping - which does not seem to be the case here. All factors you mentioned should be proportional to the RPM too, shouldn't they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdrive View Post
I doubt the precision of these instruments, whether it is RPM or KMPH. How can these show a variety of readings for the same kind of car ?
Well, all our readings seem to be in line except for KPZen and Amit_GetzCRDI09. The variations in the remaining reading can be easily attributed to parallax error, for all us would have a different position for the seat's travel and the back rest.
ph03n!x is offline  
Old 5th May 2011, 06:24   #474
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Re: The Yoko C.Drives, the Mobil Delvac 1, and My Rocket!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
  • My car does not have temperature gauge, but IIRC the optimum temperature is reached around the same distance (I go by the time/ distance it takes for the blue light to go off).
What is thi BLUELIGHT?

An error of 5 KMPH in 2nd gear and 10 KMPH each consistently in 3rd, 4th and 5th definitely seems unlikely?!!

WHY NOT?
...

All factors you mentioned should be proportional to the RPM too, shouldn't they?

.
WIND DIRECTION, ROAD CAMBER and SLOPE NOT PROPORTIONAL TO RPM SIR!!
headers is offline  
Old 5th May 2011, 08:53   #475
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,655
Thanked: 1,110 Times
Default Re: The Yoko C.Drives, the Mobil Delvac 1, and My Rocket!!

Headers, If am not wrong, Hyundais have a blue light (temperature gauge depicting) on their instrument cluster. They remain on as long as the engine is cold. IIRC, it has a differently colored one for denoting high temp also.

Here's a pic from Phoenix's thread itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-2.jpg  

DRIV3R is offline  
Old 5th May 2011, 10:56   #476
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default Re: The Yoko C.Drives, the Mobil Delvac 1, and My Rocket!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

The tires had run for about 900 KM and were run-in, I guess. I did a max of 160 KMPH in the straights of NH47, and was doing 100 - 140 KMPH most of the time. The tires were pretty good in handling the speed, responded to the brakes as expected, and did not give me any nasty surprises. The steering too weighed up with speeds as always, and never felt light or disconnected. - Prajesh, I did the 160 KMPH just for you, to test this
Thanks for the extensive review on C drives.
I'll definitely give it a shot once again. C drives are damn good, i've driven an Innova with 225/60-15 but somehow it acted weirdly on my car.

If possible, share the alignment readings of your car.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

So here are my list of pro's and con's for the 185/65 R14 C.Drives:

+ Comfort - I no longer feel ever undulation on my butt like I used to with 195/55 R15 S.Drives
Lol, of course you won't
+ Economy - With hard driving of mostly ~120-130,reaching 160, keeping it above 100 most of the times, I got a mileage of 16.08 KMPL. My usual mileage with S.Drives with my style of highway driving was always 15- 15.5 KMPL
Not much of a difference
+ Braking - The brakes never surprised me, and always slowed or stopped like I wanted
Not many would believe, but i found it to be better than S drives
+ Road Noise - After the lorry-like sound the S.Drives gives (at least in the last few 1000 KM), the C.Drives were oh-so-silent!!
+ Wet grip - The C.Drives are damn good at this, way better than the S.Drives. They do not aquaplane like the S.Drives, and have ample braking power too.
It loves wet conditions
<> Longevity - Am reserving my verdict for now on this one. I went through some bad stretches at slow speeds, and flew over (literally) a road culvert in the Krishnagiri - Salem stretch. I also dropped the left side of the car today (front and back wheels) on my way to work on a dug up pit. Touchwood, the tires seem to stand it till now.
Its an asymetrical tire with big independent block design so just keep a tab on its wear rate and also keep monitoring the tire pressures on regular basis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

I wonder how Pete's will alter gear ratios, coz my understanding is that it's the gear ratios that convert the RPM to the respective in-gear KMPH. Pete's is only supposed to reach the RPM/ KMPH faster, right?
Absolutely right, i know that.
Petes came into this topic, because thats the only modification or difference between my car and yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Well, all our readings seem to be in line except for KPZen and Amit_GetzCRDI09. The variations in the remaining reading can be easily attributed to parallax error, for all us would have a different position for the seat's travel and the back rest.
May be we two have gearbox with different gear ratios. Just kidding

Last edited by kpzen : 5th May 2011 at 10:57.
kpzen is offline  
Old 5th May 2011, 17:05   #477
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,705
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: The Yoko C.Drives, the Mobil Delvac 1, and My Rocket!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
.
WIND DIRECTION, ROAD CAMBER and SLOPE NOT PROPORTIONAL TO RPM SIR!!
Am just guessing, but here is my logic - unless the clutch is depressed or slipping or the vehicle is in neutral, any factors that make the wheels rotate faster to make a KMPH in the ODO should also make the engine rev proportionately? And all transmission losses are two-way too, so whether you are going down a slope or climbing it, if the speed is the same, the corresponding RPM should also be the same? I am not able to visualize how something that affects the speedo reading cannot affect the RPM reading when the car is in gear with a good clutch. Is there a differential somewhere that I am not aware of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Headers, If am not wrong, Hyundais have a blue light (temperature gauge depicting) on their instrument cluster. They remain on as long as the engine is cold. IIRC, it has a differently colored one for denoting high temp also.

Here's a pic from Phoenix's thread itself.
Yup - the blue light under "x 1000 rpm" was what I was referring to. There is also a red light (not seen in that image), which comes on to the right of the blue light if the temperature readings go higher than acceptable limits (anyone knows the limits?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
If possible, share the alignment readings of your car.
The printout is fading, so here are the values:
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-alignment.jpg

Apparently I would need a suspension job to fix some of the out-of-threshold values - but not now, not in the immediate future either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
May be we two have gearbox with different gear ratios.
I knew it!! Gimme yours
ph03n!x is offline  
Old 5th May 2011, 17:19   #478
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 27
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: The Yoko C.Drives, the Mobil Delvac 1, and My Rocket!!

I knew it!! Gimme yours [/quote]

Checked the speeds on the 2nd & the 3rd gear and they are as follows:
2nd gear@2000RPM is ~38 KMPH
3rd gear & 2000 RPM is ~57 KMPH
You must be feeling really tempted now for a gearbox swap . Just for your info i recently used the STP diesel fuel treatment additive and post that the car is feeling exceptionally smooth & a bit rev happy too as compared to the past.
Can some one throw some more light on STP- would using STP lead to any problems later?
Amit_GetzCRDI09 is offline  
Old 5th May 2011, 23:24   #479
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,705
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: The Yoko C.Drives, the Mobil Delvac 1, and My Rocket!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_GetzCRDI09 View Post
Checked the speeds on the 2nd & the 3rd gear and they are as follows:
2nd gear @ 2000RPM is ~38 KMPH
3rd gear & 2000 RPM is ~57 KMPH
You must be feeling really tempted now for a gearbox swap .
I wouldn't mind trying it, at least to figure out if it is the gear box or if it is an odo error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_GetzCRDI09 View Post
Just for your info i recently used the STP diesel fuel treatment additive and post that the car is feeling exceptionally smooth & a bit rev happy too as compared to the past.
Can some one throw some more light on STP- would using STP lead to any problems later?
What product of STP did you use - the oil additive or the Diesel additive? I am against the use of both, though. I don't even flush the engine - even when I was suggested to for the change from mineral oil to fully synth.
ph03n!x is offline  
Old 6th May 2011, 00:48   #480
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 303
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

I got hold of a used getz 23000 km driven 2009 march, 3 days ago.Company tyres (goodyear), all services done with the same dealer (checked the history).
Was thinking of installing a petes box. But heard from a few local car accessories dealers, that the engine life gets affected. There have also been cases of engine failures it seems.

is there any truth in it?? I love this car. have been looking around for a long time for a low mileage one. Any one??

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th May 2011 at 09:21. Reason: Extra smiley removed. Please limit to 2 smileys per post.
mithunvvijayan is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
40000 km = 80000 km. 2007 Verna CRDi. Got cheated, Now sold. sarthakgupta Long-Term Ownership Reviews 39 5th November 2014 17:21
My Red Pimento - Maruti Swift Vdi Euro IV review - 40000 Kms update ontheroad Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 19 9th June 2013 20:01
The future of Hyundai Getz? EDIT : Bye Bye Getz (page 2) sathya_j2084 The Indian Car Scene 32 25th June 2010 10:19
Query : Tubeless tires / Normal Tires nicejits Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 10th June 2009 09:59
Verna Crdi Vs GetZ Crdi. EDIT : Finalising on Getz! aks_karthik Hatchbacks 74 17th May 2009 10:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:54.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks