Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2011, 21:37   #571
BHPian
 
Vdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palakkad, Kerala
Posts: 64
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Any ways I changed my Good year stock tyres (175/65/14) to Michellin (185/60/14). I compared the tyre diameter of the original to the new and found out to be the same. I also got a Samsung mobile phone free .
Me too going for a tyre change next week , mostly at Global Tyres. Still confused whether to go in for alloys. But most people have chosen 185/65/14 and is heard as the best upsize from stock for the rocket. But yours is 185/60/14. how is it doing post change ?
Vdrive is offline  
Old 18th November 2011, 22:31   #572
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdrive View Post
Me too going for a tyre change next week , mostly at Global Tyres. Still confused whether to go in for alloys. But most people have chosen 185/65/14 and is heard as the best upsize from stock for the rocket. But yours is 185/60/14. how is it doing post change ?
185/60-14 is also a good size.
But, 185/65-14 works brilliantly on this car.
kpzen is offline  
Old 19th November 2011, 08:21   #573
Senior - BHPian
 
undead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bhavani - Komarapalayam
Posts: 1,187
Thanked: 165 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen

185/60-14 is also a good size.
But, 185/65-14 works brilliantly on this car.
Can you explain a bit more on 185/65. I am going for tire replacement too , next week.
undead is offline  
Old 21st November 2011, 09:29   #574
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Can you explain a bit more on 185/65. I am going for tire replacement too , next week.
Next week ?! and u got the tires next day itself !!

Anyways, 185/60-14 is also a good size.

With 185/65-14, you get
1.Better comfort
2.Better ground clearance.
3.Precise and heavy steering at all speeds

And, for some unknown reason, this car seems to be more dynamically stable with 185/65 at all speeds.

Have tried 175/65-14/ 185/65-14 / 195/60-14 / 185/60-14. on the Getz.

Best size
185/65-14 and 185/60-14

195/60-14 Unpredictable handling at high speeds. (sometimes)

Finally, decided to run both cars on 185/65-14.
Mine has done 93k kms on them.
Other car has done 15k after trying various sizes.

175/65-14 was plain suicidal.

Last edited by kpzen : 21st November 2011 at 09:35.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 17:42   #575
Senior - BHPian
 
undead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bhavani - Komarapalayam
Posts: 1,187
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Next week ?! and u got the tires next day itself !!

195/60-14 Unpredictable handling at high speeds. (sometimes)

175/65-14 was plain suicidal.
Agree with both the above tire sizes. In this new 185/60R14 , steering has become much sharper ..
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 20:41   #576
BHPian
 
Vdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palakkad, Kerala
Posts: 64
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Thank you KP and Undead !

So decided on 185/65/14 or 185/60/14 with alloys. I had actually 195/60 on my mind.
Now the brand...
Prajesh, Please help me on this too.
Vdrive is offline  
Old 22nd November 2011, 07:52   #577
Senior - BHPian
 
undead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bhavani - Komarapalayam
Posts: 1,187
Thanked: 165 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdrive
Thank you KP and Undead !

So decided on 185/65/14 or 185/60/14 with alloys. I had actually 195/60 on my mind.
Now the brand...
Prajesh, Please help me on this too.
Go for michelin or bridgestone.
On 185/60 speedo error is very minimum. But on 185/65 speedo error is around 2% . Check the tire size calculator .
undead is offline  
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:52   #578
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdrive View Post
Thank you KP and Undead !

So decided on 185/65/14 or 185/60/14 with alloys. I had actually 195/60 on my mind.
Now the brand...
Prajesh, Please help me on this too.
I would say the get 185/65-14, eyes closed.
A drives/ Michelin XM1 / Apollo Aceleres / Yoko C drives are the options are available. All are good. XM1s would be the costliest of the lot.

Won't advise you 195/60-14.


Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Go for michelin or bridgestone.
On 185/60 speedo error is very minimum. But on 185/65 speedo error is around 2% . Check the tire size calculator .
As per stock size 175/65-14, you are right.

But, if i compare the speedo with GPS reading, the most accurate reading was found with 185/65-14.

The possible reason for the above could be
- Worldwide Getz D or Kia Matrix is/was sold with a tire configuration of either 195/55-15 or 185/65-14. Even Verna used to comes with 185/65-14 or 175/70-14.
Speedo calibration would have been taken from one of these cars only.

Its purely my opinion based on my experience of 100k kms and from specs/data collected from various sources.

Last edited by kpzen : 22nd November 2011 at 11:59.
kpzen is offline  
Old 3rd December 2011, 21:00   #579
BHPian
 
Vdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palakkad, Kerala
Posts: 64
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Had a visit to Global Tyres, Vyttila and changed the tyres to 185/65/R14 Yoko C drive + Alloys.

Actually was inclined towards xm1+ but the 1K difference in price made me change the mind.

Of course, the ride is much better now. Less bumpy and a lot smooth too.
But the acceleration has gone down. The surge of power when floored suddenly in 2nd is not there as it was before. May be the tyre is too grippy.
Vdrive is offline  
Old 4th December 2011, 07:31   #580
Senior - BHPian
 
undead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bhavani - Komarapalayam
Posts: 1,187
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdrive View Post
Had a visit to Global Tyres, Vyttila and changed the tyres to 185/65/R14 Yoko C drive + Alloys.

Actually was inclined towards xm1+ but the 1K difference in price made me change the mind.

Of course, the ride is much better now. Less bumpy and a lot smooth too.
But the acceleration has gone down. The surge of power when floored suddenly in 2nd is not there as it was before. May be the tyre is too grippy.
Congrats. C drives offer better comfort and grip than XM1+. A drives were little noisier after few thousand kms. How is it for the C drives now. ?

Last edited by undead : 4th December 2011 at 07:33.
undead is offline  
Old 5th December 2011, 13:41   #581
BHPian
 
Vdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palakkad, Kerala
Posts: 64
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Congrats. C drives offer better comfort and grip than XM1+. A drives were little noisier after few thousand kms. How is it for the C drives now. ?
Quotes for C drives were 3.9K and for xm1+ 4.9K. I don't know if it is on the higher side .

But here only a few shops store Yokos.
Vdrive is offline  
Old 14th December 2011, 19:23   #582
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 303
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdrive View Post
Me too going for a tyre change next week , mostly at Global Tyres. Still confused whether to go in for alloys. But most people have chosen 185/65/14 and is heard as the best upsize from stock for the rocket. But yours is 185/60/14. how is it doing post change ?
Mine is working much better than the stocks. It also looks good because of the lower profile when compared to the diameter. I haven't checked with speeds above 120 kph. ( I wouldn't advice anyone to go above 120 as the breaks are not designed for such speeds. I crashed on to an auto, testing about 170 kph, on my stock tyres of course.) As someone has mentioned, the steering has become much sharper with the new tyres.
I had chosen 185/60/14, to keep the over all tyre diameter the same. I was even ready to put 185/55/14 if it was available, even at the expense of ground clearance. THE LESSER THE DIAMETER, THE BETTER THE TORQUE on the road, though at the expense of top speed. The engine also will spin at higher rpm at at the same vehicle speed. This also will reduce the turbo lag.
Phew! I'm ready for a debate.
mithunvvijayan is offline  
Old 14th December 2011, 21:33   #583
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
THE LESSER THE DIAMETER, THE BETTER THE TORQUE .
240 Nm torque and you want more ?? Get the blue box.
More is never enough !!!!
kpzen is offline  
Old 15th December 2011, 10:40   #584
BHPian
 
mithunvvijayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 303
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
240 Nm torque and you want more ?? Get the blue box.
More is never enough !!!!
Sir. its not, only about the torque. I feel that the 5th gear is a bit long, especially considering that 2000 rpm hits at about 90kph. My theory is, if we can
get the engine spin at 2000 rpm at about 80 kph, then the overall drivability will be much improved. The only other inexpensive way ( than reducing the tyre size ) is to reduce the crown gear diameter. I haven't checked the feasibility of it yet. Costs, availability etc. I don't know if cosworth has got the specs for getz.
And I have considered the blue box for long. Sir, can you give some feedbacks
especially on the engine vibrations, clutch wear, smoke etc??
mithunvvijayan is offline  
Old 15th December 2011, 16:18   #585
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Sir. its not, only about the torque. I feel that the 5th gear is a bit long, especially considering that 2000 rpm hits at about 90kph. My theory is, if we can
get the engine spin at 2000 rpm at about 80 kph, then the overall drivability will be much improved.
Drive in 4th gear. Hit 5th on highways.
IMO, thats the easiest way to have good driveability

Gears are tall for city driving, but it makes up for it on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
The only other inexpensive way ( than reducing the tyre size ) is to reduce the crown gear diameter. I haven't checked the feasibility of it yet. Costs, availability etc. I don't know if cosworth has got the specs for getz.
I don't think its a good idea. Would never advise you for that.
For this car, changing common parts like clutch/ fuel filter is such a complex process.
Its not zen or esteem, hope you get my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
And I have considered the blue box for long. Sir, can you give some feedbacks
especially on the engine vibrations, clutch wear, smoke etc??
Performance - Turns into a wild creature
Engine Vibrations - Same but noise increases. Once you start moving you won't feel anything.
Smoke - The box demands a lot of air. You will have to install Green/ K&N filter. Stock filter gets choked easily. Once the filter gets choked it will start smoking.
Clutch wear - Well, my car just crossed 95k mark, still running on stock clutch. Its become hard, but its not slipping yet.
kpzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
40000 km = 80000 km. 2007 Verna CRDi. Got cheated, Now sold. sarthakgupta Long-Term Ownership Reviews 39 5th November 2014 17:21
My Red Pimento - Maruti Swift Vdi Euro IV review - 40000 Kms update ontheroad Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 19 9th June 2013 20:01
The future of Hyundai Getz? EDIT : Bye Bye Getz (page 2) sathya_j2084 The Indian Car Scene 32 25th June 2010 10:19
Query : Tubeless tires / Normal Tires nicejits Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 10th June 2009 09:59
Verna Crdi Vs GetZ Crdi. EDIT : Finalising on Getz! aks_karthik Hatchbacks 74 17th May 2009 10:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:06.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks