sivabkd@hmil.net
salonibajaj@hmil.net
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 17:17   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStarted View Post
some more info on this issue

- he mentioned some fuel line pipes are made of nylon composite, smell of which attracts rats.
- he also mentioned they cant put metal pipes as engines moves a bit , so pipes can not be rigid.so its not MFG. defect(but why didn't think of rat bite before ? and now when they know why they are not notifying all customers ?)
- they are putting on some protective covering. he mentioned local dealer will contact me.
What a ridiculous excuse by Hyundai. I can understand the need to put flexible tubings to cater for the possible movement of engine assembly. But they can always go for metallic flexible hoses, or armoured tubes, very commonly used in industry.

It would be interesting to see what type of tubes are used other petrol vehicle. (My Palio was attacked by Rodents a few times, but they were fond of only electricals, they perhaps did not like the smell/taste of FIAT tubes)
psp62in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 14:05   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
The car here is a i10. AFAIK, common rail injector should be in Accent CRDi, Viva CRDi, Elantra CRDi, Sonata CRDi and in the latest cars it would be in Verna, Getz or i20 deisel variants. Or did this technology also made its way into i10 petrol variant.

In anycase, we recently bought a 2006 Accent CRDi, I will check on this today itself.

Well, I thought i10 was a modern car which used injectors rather than carbs . Correct me if i am wrong on that . The term common rail is a generic term and petrol injectors also employ the same principle .. affik at lesser pressure . In a diesel system the common rail is driven by a mechanical pump , but in a petrol it is driven by an electric fuel pump . That is the only diff that i can think of .
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 14:33   #49
BHPian

There was a case of asphyxiation of two occupants sitting in a Hyundai Santro last year in Chennai. They were caught in a traffic jam and the rain water had risen to the level of their car exhaust pipe. They kept the engine running with AC on. The public found them dead with the engine still running.

How is it that it has not happened with other manufacturers ?

I have seen many people sitting in their cars with the engine running blissfully unaware of the inherent danger in rainy days. Yet such incidences are unheard of with other cars.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 15:03   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
There was a case of asphyxiation of two occupants sitting in a Hyundai Santro last year in Chennai. They were caught in a traffic jam and the rain water had risen to the level of their car exhaust pipe. They kept the engine running with AC on. The public found them dead with the engine still running.

I have seen many people sitting in their cars with the engine running blissfully unaware of the inherent danger in rainy days. Yet such incidences are unheard of with other cars.
This is offtopic.

However, it is Strange too!. Cant understand how the car engine can run with the exhaust blocked.

In any case, if the engine is kept running and the exhust fumes are getting recirculated to the AC inlet, then deaths due to asphyxiation or CO (carbonmonoxide) poisoning can occur. This can happen with any vehicle. See other thread on deaths of occupants when car engine was kept running in a closed garage.
psp62in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 15:32   #51
BHPian

I'm sorry about your friend's car but that's the most absurd excuse that they could give. Rat ate the fuel pipe!

Your friend should argue that since the car is only a few months old it's possible that the rat was already present in the car when Hyundai sold it to him in which case they should still be liable for the damage.

I know it's a ridiculous arguement but no more ridiculous than hyundai's explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

There was another incident recently where a couple were found dead in a car. According to the cops they decided to spend the night in the car and left the a/c on with the engine running. Both of them died due to carbon monoxide inhalation. This was in the papers recently and the car in all prpbability was a Hyundai. Can anyone else confirm if you read the article too?

Last edited by v12 : 26th September 2009 at 16:01.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 00:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

I read this in one of the Hardy Boys when I was a kid. Someone had tried to mess around with the Hardy's van in a way that the CO found its way into the cabin. Of course, the Hardy's managed to escape.

My two cents, the rat bite story seems like a joke. I really hope your friend does not buy it. It'd be best to escalate the matter to HMIL. Afaik if there had been a leak, there would have been something of a puddle beneath the car and if the engine caught fire, it would have too. You can check the underbody for any such signs.
In any case, a leak is usually very easily detected. The smell of petrol is not really uncharacteristic.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 11:41   #53
BHPian

This is the response that I got from Hyundai CR when asked about this issue. Reproduced below verbatim.
---

Dear Sir,

Thanks for writing us.

This is with reference to your query related to fuel line design, we would
like to tell you that if you will go through with few other websites also,
you will find so many different suggestions / opinions regarding the
same/different products & their designs.

Companies launch their products after proper check up and R&D but sometime few problems depends on person to person experience / feedback & it doesn't mean that there is any design fault or manufacturing problem with any model.

Although we also work on the customer's feedback seriously after compilation on time to time so then we could understand our customer demands & improve our services / product accordingly.

Kindly do not have any apprehension regarding the same.

Thanks & regards,
Hyundai Always Smile

Ahmad,

CCS - Service Support,
Hyundai Motor India Ltd.
Contact No: 011-41678800
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 14:57   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
...Although we also work on the customer's feedback seriously after compilation on time to time so then we could understand our customer demands & improve our services / product accordingly.
And the cost has to be borne by the customer(cust-kar-phir-mar)!!
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 15:48   #55
Senior - BHPian

OT, but what the hell is 'Hyundai Always Smile'? The customer is definitely not smiling in this case.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 16:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
T

This is with reference to your query related to fuel line design, we would
like to tell you that if you will go through with few other websites also,
you will find so many different suggestions / opinions regarding the
same/different products & their designs.

Companies launch their products after proper check up and R&D but sometime few problems depends on person to person experience / feedback & it doesn't mean that there is any design fault or manufacturing problem with any model.

Although we also work on the customer's feedback seriously after compilation on time to time so then we could understand our customer demands & improve our services / product accordingly.

Kindly do not have any apprehension regarding the same.

Thanks & regards,
Hyundai Always Smile
This is a crap reply given by service support team. Actually disappointing to see such a third class reply.

Try to escalate this issue to Hyundai's Senior guys. The point is make some noise else you won't be heard, remember the kid who cry gets the milk.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 17:26   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
This is a crap reply given by service support team. Actually disappointing to see such a third class reply.

Try to escalate this issue to Hyundai's Senior guys. The point is make some noise else you won't be heard, remember the kid who cry gets the milk.
Ahmad is a senior guy in charge of service of all india operations. You won't get access to email ids any higher than this. If you want, pm me and i'll give you ahmad's internal email id.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 04:37   #58
BANNED

Your friend has an excellent case for an legal action. What is that stopping him from getting a good lawyer. Time and again this is what i have been suggesting to many a problems in this forum. It simply beats my understanding as to why one shrugs from following a legal course.
srikanths1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 11:29   #59
BHPian

Question

Shouldn't this thread be in the 'Indian Car Scene' section similar to the other 'Skoda' threads?
Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 11:48   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStarted View Post
- he also mentioned they cant put metal pipes as engines moves a bit , so pipes can not be rigid.so its not MFG. defect(but why didn't think of rat bite before ? and now when they know why they are not notifying all customers ?)
Tell you what I have seen metal insert over rubber tubes in my Scooty bought in '98. This should be part of homologation in our country.
arunmur is offline   Reply With Quote