Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 30th June 2011, 11:44   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto Multijet 1.3 EDIT: 34,000 kms covered and a good workstation fo

All issues have been tended to now.
On opening up the left shock, we found that the nut had almost melted. I've been parking my car under a tree and the exposure to leaves, mud and rain had completely wrecked the bolt. It had to be hammered out and finally replaced with a new one.
The wheel alignment problem too has been sorted.
Full marks once again to Elegant Motors and Mr. Sharma. I finally have no more service woes. Yes, the distance is an issue and my cell phone got flicked while returning home by bus but at least the service is good.
Current km- 35,000
Current avg- 16.5
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 01:02   #242
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto Multijet 1.3 EDIT: 34,000 kms covered and a good workstation fo

HELP.
A day after my previous post, I took the car out for a small drive. Something didn't seem right but I dismissed the thought and drove on. A couple of potholes later, something was definitely not right. There was tremendous amount of noise from the front left and god knows where else. It was like the car was falling apart. Every bad patch of road meant a lot of squeaking and rattling from the bottom of the car. Gingerly, I drove her back home and parked.
Tomorrow morning will mean another trip to Papadganj, Elegant Motors.
sukrit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 22:00   #243
BHPian

Default There goes reliability

Since the 4th of july, I've been facing a strange problem with the car. I turn the steering left or right and a couple of twists later, I hear a loud sound from the left side. Elegant motors has diagnosed it as bad mountings on both shocks, does this seem right ? The parts aren't available anywhere and I need to take the car to Dharamshala dayafter. Elegant feels it is safe to take the car.
What do you guys think ?
Can you please tell me what this problem sounds like, whether it'll be safe to use and if there's any place I can try to get the part from tomorrow. I'll really appreciate it.
Old 11th July 2011, 22:20   #244
BHPian

It could be suspension mounts (or elastic pads as Fiat calls them) or even the link rod. Did you try Oberoi cars in Noida?

I had the mounts changed in my Punto at about 28k odd. I started noticing the noise and drove around for about 400-500 kms before I got a chance to replace them. But then the noise was faint to start with and slowly increased as the running increased. But it wasn't "LOUD" as you put it. The noise will only surface when the car went over a bump or potholes and came only from the front left.

Also, why I said link rod could be a culprit, a friend's Punto started making strange noises from the left side (not just the front) and it slowly grew on a highway trip Shimla to Delhi. It was diagnosed as an issue with the link rod and was replaced at Elegant.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 22:28   #245
BHPian

Thanku for the prompt reply, Nk. I really appreciate it.
No. I have not called them yet, I will do so tomorrow. You recommend the place ?
My noise is different. It exists even when the car is stationary which is why I feel it is not the mounts. This doesn't seem like mounts, does it ?

I agree with your theory about the link rod. I will call oberoi tomorrow. Thankyou.

Any place in Delhi, preferably South delhi ?
Old 11th July 2011, 22:34   #246
BHPian

^^^ If the noise persists even at standstill, I think it needs immediate attention and you can't be looking at a long drive to the hills with the car. Oberoi is recommended by a lot of folks I know. They have got a fantastic setup but I still think Elegant is the best when it comes to troubleshooting. Oberoi should have the parts I think. Or else try Rama even though I would avoid them at any cost, but beggars can't be choosers, right?

Call me if you wish, you got my number right?
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 23:18   #247
BHPian

Default re: Fiat Grande Punto Multijet 1.3 *UPDATE* 40K Completed

No. Never Rama. I don't want my car to develop some other problems.
I like Elegant but in this case, they don't have the parts. The diagnosis to me seems incorrect, I cannot understand why mounts would make noise on a stationary car. It does get even louder when moving though.
Anyway, i'm going to call Oberoi tomorrow morning and rush over. Let's see what can be done.
Thanks for all your help, and yes, I do have your number
Old 12th July 2011, 15:30   #248
BHPian

How can the suspension of a stationary car make sound? Are you sure its from the suspension?
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 16:01   #249
BHPian

A suspension noise while stationary? Or is it when people board or unboard the vehicle?
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 16:19   #250
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: There goes reliability

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Since the 4th of july, I've been facing a strange problem with the car. I turn the steering left or right and a couple of twists later, I hear a loud sound from the left side. Elegant motors has diagnosed it as bad mountings on both shocks, does this seem right ? The parts aren't available anywhere and I need to take the car to Dharamshala dayafter. Elegant feels it is safe to take the car.
What do you guys think ?
Can you please tell me what this problem sounds like, whether it'll be safe to use and if there's any place I can try to get the part from tomorrow. I'll really appreciate it.
Do not take the car.

Elastic pads as FIAT calls them has been known to create some problems. But I doubt that this is the case. And if mountings are bad on both sides how come you hear it on left side only?
Get the car thoroughly checked. I think it might be some other issue.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 16:34   #251
BHPian

Quote:
What do you guys think ?
i had the same issue, elastic pads right and left were changed under warranty .No issue after that.
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 00:49   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
How can the suspension of a stationary car make sound? Are you sure its from the suspension?
Yes, it was from the suspension and the mounting pads/elastic pads were the cause. I was surprised too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
A suspension noise while stationary? Or is it when people board or unboard the vehicle?
This noise can be heard when the steering wheel is turned, irrespective of whether the car is in motion or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Do not take the car.

Elastic pads as FIAT calls them has been known to create some problems. But I doubt that this is the case. And if mountings are bad on both sides how come you hear it on left side only?
Get the car thoroughly checked. I think it might be some other issue.
Nope, wasn't any other issue. And yes, this is quite a common problem. I ask all bhpians to keep their ears open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
i had the same issue, elastic pads right and left were changed under warranty .No issue after that.
Thankyou
Old 14th July 2011, 08:39   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it was from the suspension and the mounting pads/elastic pads were the cause. I was surprised too.

Nope, wasn't any other issue. And yes, this is quite a common problem. I ask all bhpians to keep their ears open.

Thankyou
How long is the warranty cover for the elastic pads? The rear right creaking sound has returned again for me. Planning to take the car next month only to A.S.S since this month I really need the car all the days.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 11:53   #254
BHPian

Default A review of Oberoi cars

I was supposed to leave for Dharamshala on the 13th of July and my car was in no position to make the trip. Why?
It seems like many FIAT's have developed a problem with the elastic pads or mounting pads which help the shock absorbers move. Mine were faulty and as a result, my car groaned and creaked and seemed unstable.

I had made many trips to Elegant over the last 10 days and even though Mr.Sharma was sure I could take the car, both my dad and I did not feel confident enough. As a result, I made numerous calls to service stations in Delhi but no one had the parts in stock. Further, I was unsure if the problem was actually in the elastic pads.

On the 11th, I received a response from Nitin who praised Oberoi and felt that they may have the parts. I was desperate and even though Noida was far, I was willing to give it a shot. Thanks Nitin, I owe you one

9am, 12th july.
I called Oberoi and was greeted by a recorded message asking me to call after 9.30. I 29 minutes pacing the house and then called again. This time, I got through. Within 5 mins, I had spoken to the receptionist, she'd transferred my call to the store, they'd checked for availability of both the link rod and the mounts and I had been given an appointment. I smiled. This looked good.

10.59 am.
Broken road and my car was complaining. This was going to be another small service station with nothing, after all I'd left Mahindra, ford and vw behind and a broken road could only lead to a tiny little workshop. A couple of metres later, I arrive at OBEROI. I'm stunned. This has to be bigger than many maruti A.S.S, it looks luxurious and clean and posh and welcoming. I blink. I can't believe FIAT's and Tata's are serviced here.

11am.
The guard lists down the mileage and car number and i'm in. A few seconds later, I'm greeted by a sweet lady who knows my name, is aware of the problem and has already assigned a S.A to my car. I've only said hello.
He arrives 5 mins later and by then, I've learnt(from the same lady) that failing mounting pads is becoming a common problem and that many people complain about RAMA. Yes, I complained too. I also told her that I was supposed to be at work by 11.30. She smiles, we both know it is impossible to reach Malviya Nagar in 25 minutes.
S.A takes one look at the car and confirms that the noise is from the pads, "i've already got them cleared,sir". I ask him to check if i have the latest retrofitting for the clutch. He confirms that mine is the plastic part but the metal one isn't in stock. He notes down the same and assures me that it'll be ordered.

The car has gone in and I ask the lady the directions to the metro station. "we'll drop you". Really? I can't believe it. A fiat A.S.S and nothing is going wrong. "Our driver will be here in 5 mins", i'm told. I decide to take a look around. The working bay is HUGE and brilliantly planned, everyone is in uniform and immersed in their work. The customer lounge is EXCELLENT, the way it should be and i'm also offered tea. I'm very impressed.

15 mins later, the driver arrives(it's been pouring) and i'm dropped off to the staion.He also tells me how common my problem is and how many cars are coming in with the same issue.

I reach office happy and feeling confident. I know nothing will go wrong.

The driver collects the car at 5.30,and even though wheel alignment is still pending, I ask him to bring the car home. I cannot leave the car since I have to travel tomorrow. Eventually, the trip gets postponed and the alignment is done the next day from Elegant. Oberoi had some problem with the alignment machine.

Overall, I'm very impressed by Oberoi. They seem keen and dedicated and even though Elegant probably has more technical knowledge, Oberoi looks so much more like a fancy service station. They do their job well and the staff is friendly and clearly enjoy their work. I had a wonderful time and I recommend all NCR owners to give Oberoi a shot.

Thankyou!

Last edited by sukrit7 : 14th July 2011 at 11:55.
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 12:25   #255
BHPian

Sukrit,

Have you ever tried the HIM Motors, Patparganj Ind. Area?

Where in Noida is the Oberoi's workshop?

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote