Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 28th May 2014, 12:26   #271
BHPian

Default re: Fiat Grande Punto Multijet 1.3. EDIT: Sold @ 133,000 km

Hello, after a long time.
Car is currently at 98K and will be sold when it touches a lakh.

The punto is a great vehicle, and even now, it rides and drives as well as it ever did. I, for one, have barely ever had any service related troubles since I found Oberoi cars and I couple of people I trust there.

What is questionable however is the quality of parts FIAT has used. While the Punto has never let me down, in the last year, several things have failed and I am rather unhappy about the same. For a prospective FIAT buyer thus, this is what would be most troubling.

Just today, I've found out that the magnetic coil in the compressor has failed, sometime back, there was a problem with the turbo, a while before that, the cooling coil failed, and sometime back, the entire cabling with the actual gear shifter had to be changed. To me, most of these parts are those that should last a lifetime, or atleast more than 5 years. Do you guys feel the same way, or do you reckon it's a bad phase and I should stick on?
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 13:09   #272
Senior - BHPian

Firstly Congos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Hello, after a long time.
Car is currently at 98K and will be sold when it touches a lakh.
sometime back, there was a problem with the turbo, a while before that, the cooling coil failed, and sometime back, the entire cabling with the actual gear shifter had to be changed. To me, most of these parts are those that should last a lifetime, or atleast more than 5 years.
This is something even I feel is an issue with FIAT. For example, the turbo hose with FIAT is an All-Rubber pipe, and I know MANY MANY friends who've had their hoses ruptured (mostly after moderately high speed runs - all on stock map settings itself). Whereas the turbo hose for the same engine for Tata Vista/Manza is a metal pipe with only 1 small portion thats rubber & I've NEVER heard of the issue with Tata owners.

Same way, the timing chain replacement for Linea is 60k kms & Punto is 75k kms, whereas its at 100k for Manza/Vista. I think its around mileage for the same for Swift/Dzire.

Quote:
Do you guys feel the same way, or do you reckon it's a bad phase and I should stick on?
This is a very difficult question as there are various factors. Anyway, amongst any factor, the most important one I feel is that you should ask yourself if you can give the car a healthy amount of time & attention in keeping touch with a known trustworthy knowledgeable honest service advisor.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 28th May 2014 at 13:14. Reason: typo
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 13:17   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Same way, the timing chain replacement for Linea is 60k kms & Punto is 75k kms, whereas its at 100k for Manza/Vista. I think its around mileage for the same for Swift/Dzire.
And then there have been cases where the Timing chain of a Swift/Dzire rubbed against the chain cover resulting in small metal pieces fall into the oil and causing engine seizure.

This is one reason why there is a strong urge to replace the Timing chain in Swift/Dzire between 80-90k.

A Maruti ASC in Bangalore is working on this with FIAT R&D in Pune with these instances of Engine seizure (Not just one instance) and try to reduce the interval like how FIAT is doing.

I shared with them the copy of owner's manual from my friends who own FIAT so that they got an idea on the differences in intervals suggested for chain replacement.

This still remains a big question mark but to play it safe, its better to replace before the ODO touches a lakh kms mark (in case of Swift/Dzires)
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 15:39   #274
BHPian

The car was finally sold when it touched 1,33,000. It was sad to see her go, but with the Ecosport having joined the Cedia, we really didn't need a third vehicle. It was a beautiful 7 years that the car spent with us and it will be missed thoroughly.

Let's start with the negatives:
Having said so, the last year or so was rather expensive. Lot of parts failed despite us taking great care and ensuring every service was done on time. A lot of these parts had to do with the cooling system, which leads me to believe that there's been some cost cutting on FIAT's end.

Servicing has gone from great to mediocre. With Oberoi FIAT having shut down, Kashyap has become extremely crowded, and I believe OP Sharma is no longer there either. Bad news for NCR.

I really struggled to get a decent price for the Punto, and the 10 year ban only mad matters worse. Finally, I had to settle for 1.5 lakhs, which I think is a little on the lower side.

And head to the positives:
Not a single rattle in 7 years of use. The Punto is really built like a tank. It continued to impress with the way it handled and drove, and the engine looked good for another lakh.

It never ever broke down, and always made it to the service station albeit it limped a time or two. Good reliability!

This car was loaded! Even till a few days ago, I continued to discover new features. The last one I found was that the seat-belt reminder chime switches off if you engage reverse gear. Mighty smart!

Advise:
Keep this car, those of you who still have it. It might cost a little from time to time, but it sure makes a connection!

Goodbye.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto Multijet 1.3. EDIT: Sold @ 133,000 km-20160408_102812.jpg  

Last edited by sukrit7 : 11th June 2016 at 15:40.
sukrit7 is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 17:33   #275
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto Multijet 1.3. EDIT: Sold @ 133,000 km

Quote:
The car was finally sold when it touched 1,33,000. It was sad to see her go, but with the Ecosport having joined the Cedia, we really didn't need a third vehicle. It was a beautiful 7 years that the car spent with us and it will be missed thoroughly.

Let's start with the negatives:
Having said so, the last year or so was rather expensive. Lot of parts failed despite us taking great care and ensuring every service was done on time. A lot of these parts had to do with the cooling system, which leads me to believe that there's been some cost cutting on FIAT's end.

Servicing has gone from great to mediocre. With Oberoi FIAT having shut down, Kashyap has become extremely crowded, and I believe OP Sharma is no longer there either. Bad news for NCR.

I really struggled to get a decent price for the Punto, and the 10 year ban only mad matters worse. Finally, I had to settle for 1.5 lakhs, which I think is a little on the lower side.

And head to the positives:
Not a single rattle in 7 years of use. The Punto is really built like a tank. It continued to impress with the way it handled and drove, and the engine looked good for another lakh.

It never ever broke down, and always made it to the service station albeit it limped a time or two. Good reliability!

This car was loaded! Even till a few days ago, I continued to discover new features. The last one I found was that the seat-belt reminder chime switches off if you engage reverse gear. Mighty smart!

Advise:
Keep this car, those of you who still have it. It might cost a little from time to time, but it sure makes a connection!

Goodbye.
sukrit7 i can totally relate to your last line. I have a 75ps MJD with 68k kms on odo. I have made two rounds of showrooms hopping and test drives for cars <10 lakhs. But every time after getting back home and giving it a thought i realized nothing comes close to this in terms of driving and economy. As far as mechanic is concerned i got hold of a very good FNG in noida. So maintaining and procuring spares is not a big deal for now.

I recently got new set of shockers and tyres. Can you share some expense details from your journey. Basically i want to know the likely expenses post 75k kms.
saurabh041086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 18:38   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto Multijet 1.3. EDIT: Sold @ 133,000 km

Quote:
All the best with your future car ownerships.

My Punto will touch the 130k kms milestone this weekend, and I hope I don't experience the cooling system concerns that you have faced. That said, I will be trying to retain the car as long as possible - for reasons of supreme build quality (Can't believe it's done so many kilometres, as it still feels fresh) and low resale value.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote