Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 12th July 2009, 15:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Scarlet Beast - Hyundai Elantra CRDi with Pete's Box - 1,10,000 kms update

Another Monster has been added into my Garage.

Story :
It started like this. I was having fun with my little beast - Getz CRDi for quite sometime. But i really wanted a family car for long distance travel to keep my mom and grandma comfortable during the journey. Getz CRDi didnt exactly fit into that category. It was fun to drive with so much torque and power , but never felt comfortable for my old grandma and mom at the rear seat. Also , sometimes i drive around 800 kms a day and i needed a big safe and comfortable car for it. So, i put down a list of preferences. They would be..
1. Safety - ABS & Airbags must.
2. Comfortable ride for both driver and passengers
3. Easy on maintenance costs.
4. Budget within 5.5 lacs.

I had two choices on mind 1. Hyundai Elantra and 2. Toyota Corolla.
Searched websites like carwale, carsalesindia , autoindia etc.. Finally i spotted an Elantra CRDi on carwale .

Details

First Owner . Doctor Maintainted.
2004 Model - Chennai Registration.
Scarlet Sage Color
41600 Kms Run - Checked up with local Hyundai Dealer whether its genuine.
Had three Accident Repairs done, but just minor ones ..
Finalised price - Rs.4.80lacs.

Called up the owner , fixed the date and went for a test drive. Chennai is around 400 kms from my town. Liked the car , liked the color so much. Here are some few things which i felt , i benefited a little.

1. Front Suspension set - studs , lower arm etc are completely changed during April 2009
2. Full Insurance was paid - valid till May 2010.
3. HID Xenons for both high and low beam - Fitted by the 1st Owner.
4. K&N Filter.
5. Reverse Sensors (2 only). Looks like an old model , but effective .

The Owner has taken Loan for 7 years . So, it was under Hypothecation. He told me that he will remove the Hypothecation from the RC Book . I paid him advance of Rs.25000 and he paid the remaining amount and got the NOC certificate and made the cancellation in the RC Book .

Took the delivery on July 3rd. Took the car back home from chennai on july 5th ( that was the day i missed the Chennai T-bhp meet ).

Things I Liked
1. Eventhough both Getz and Elantra has the same 110 bhp , Elantra was better , as it didnt push the passengers back like in Getz. The car was cruising nicely and didnot disturb the passengers.
2. The handling was good about this car and i felt very confident on the expressway while doing 120kmph speed. Touched 170 so far.
3. Both my mom and grandma were really happy with the comfort of the rear seat . I am happy that they liked it.
4. Braking was excellent .I just cant compare this one with the Getz CRDi , as this is in different league. 4 wheel discs , EBD , ABS , wow.. Never thought i could feel the brakes like this. Both me and my dad had a very good smile in this part.
5. The driver seat was very comfortable as it had lots of adjustments including Lumbar support. Never felt i drove 400kms during that day.

Things I thought could have been better
1. The Internal Height Adjustment for Headlights arent there , which i felt is needed very much in the car.
2. Car came with Stock HU , which plays no MP3 . So need to buy another HU . But came with Pioneer Speakers.
3. The Steering wheel could have been smaller .
4. The Gear shift wasnt as free and smooth as my Getz.

Things Done after purchase and Need to be Done Soon
1. Rear Studs Changed.
2. Now running in Synthetic Oil - Shell. Engine feels lot smoother now.
3. Medware polish (Rs.4500) Will put another coat in 6 months for free. Now the car looks much better due to the shine.
4. Other regular parts like Fuel filter , oil filter etc.

1. Tires need to be changed . There are 3 different tires in my car now. 1. Bridgestone RE88 , Apollo Accelere (2) , Kumho Stock Tire (New condition). The spare tire Acceler has developed a bulge on it and so cant use it. I am thinking of buying 4 new tires in another 2 to 3 days and putting the Kumho tires back to the spare tire post. Scratching my heads to pick the right tires for my car. Leaning more towards comfort.
2. Pete's Tuning Box.

Conclusion
At this price, this car is a true VFM money for me. It got a good comfortable , safe sedan less than the price i paid for the Getz CRDi . I am very happy and so are my family members .

Here are the Pictures.
Name:  Picture 023 Medium.jpg
Views: 9637
Size:  87.2 KB
Name:  Picture 001 Medium.jpg
Views: 11214
Size:  115.2 KB
Name:  Picture 005 Medium.jpg
Views: 7634
Size:  79.3 KB
Name:  Picture 007 Medium.jpg
Views: 7634
Size:  69.1 KB
Name:  Picture 008 Medium.jpg
Views: 7688
Size:  70.7 KB
Name:  DSC00699 Medium.jpg
Views: 8432
Size:  51.5 KB

Last edited by undead : 12th July 2009 at 16:07.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2009, 16:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice review !
Just curious. I believe the elantra needs H5 and H7. Where did you manage to get the HID's and how much did they cost
Old 12th July 2009, 16:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Nice review !
Just curious. I believe the elantra needs H5 and H7. Where did you manage to get the HID's and how much did they cost
I thought its H3 and H7 . Those came with the car and dont know how much the owner paid for it . I will take a pic of the them today and post it . But i think i will switch them back to the normal halogen lights. Even the low beam HID lights are blinding the oncoming traffic and the High Beam HID ,not that effective to me.. Will drive with them for few days and see.
Old 12th July 2009, 16:36   #4
BHPian

Congratulatins mate!! We also hae one in our family and it is more then two lakh klmtrs. Its A Gem At That Price..

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Scratching my heads to pick the right tires for my car. Leaning more towards comfort.
If You Want comfort then go for Michelin Primacy LC in 195/60 R15. it is a stock size of elantra. we have put one in ours after nearly two lakhs kilometers and they have changed the life and comfort of the car.(Positive Side )
Old 12th July 2009, 17:55   #5
BHPian

Nice write-up, it's full of useful information. I would recommend Michelin XM1+. The tyres are very good VFM, and give a comfortable ride. They do duty on my Baleno for last 20,000 km, and the difference is palpable.
Old 12th July 2009, 18:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Congratulatins mate!! We also hae one in our family and it is more then two lakh klmtrs. Its A Gem At That Price..

If You Want comfort then go for Michelin Primacy LC in 195/60 R15. it is a stock size of elantra. we have put one in ours after nearly two lakhs kilometers and they have changed the life and comfort of the car.(Positive Side )
Thanks dude. MY first preference was Primacy LC. Very Silent and Comfort. Too Soft. Hope its quality remains good for decent miles. I heard that Primacy LC is manufactured in China.
My Preference was on three tires as of now.
Primacy LC - Silent and Comfort based.
Turanza ER-60- Good overall tire.
Yoko C Drives - If available in 195/60 or 205/60

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Nice write-up, it's full of useful information. I would recommend Michelin XM1+. The tyres are very good VFM, and give a comfortable ride. They do duty on my Baleno for last 20,000 km, and the difference is palpable.
Thanks .
Old 12th July 2009, 18:47   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Turanza ER-60- Good overall tire.
Definitely highly recommended. Use them on my Corolla.

Quote:
Yoko C Drives - If available in 195/60 or 205/60.
You'll get 'em. S-drives aren't available though.
Old 12th July 2009, 19:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dude!!! Undead- the mast of two monster-beasts

What is the torque output of this monster? It is a 2 litre CRDi mill, but i guess it is different from the Sonata's 150 BHP/ 320 Nm mill. Or is this a CGT, with the Sonata being a VGT?
Old 12th July 2009, 20:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Congrats dude!!! Undead- the mast of two monster-beasts

What is the torque output of this monster? It is a 2 litre CRDi mill, but i guess it is different from the Sonata's 150 BHP/ 320 Nm mill. Or is this a CGT, with the Sonata being a VGT?
Thanks mate...
This is the same engine as the Accent CRDi , except that Elantra has additional cylinder. Power - 112ps@4000rpm and Torque - 246Nm @2800rpm.
Sonata Embera has the VGT engine.
Old 12th July 2009, 20:36   #10
BHPian

@undead: nice car mate and even more interesting writeup. Im from Erode mate. Enjoy her to the fullest.
Old 12th July 2009, 23:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate...
This is the same engine as the Accent CRDi , except that Elantra has additional cylinder. Power - 112ps@4000rpm and Torque - 246Nm @2800rpm.
In terms of engine your info is all incorrect but nevertheless u got a killer car. Congrats, Have fun and drive safe. !!

Accent Crdi - 3 pot 1500cc AVL diesel engine.
Getz CRDI - 4 cyl 1493cc 110 bhp VGT KIA engine
Elantra CRDI - 4 cyl 1996cc 112 bhp Detroit Diesel engine.

Last edited by kpzen : 12th July 2009 at 23:12.
Old 12th July 2009, 23:21   #12
Team-BHP Support

hi undead congratulations for the Elantra ,i suggest you to go in for Yokohama db v550 i have these ones on my car,very comfortable tires with great grip,low wear too.
Old 12th July 2009, 23:25   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks mate...
As per my knowledge max torque is 249.8nm@1800-2800rpm,the car offers verna like performance in a smooth manner.

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th July 2009 at 23:26.
Old 13th July 2009, 02:03   #14
BHPian

wow my friend just bought a petrol elantra for himself the deal was @4.8 lacs too.

your car looks a lot better! even better than my friends elantra.

i also like the ride quality but i feel it can get a bit wobbly and floaty.

i was surprised when i saw that elarntra had climate control, airbags, abs ,4 disc, and if am not wrong this car has even traction control too !!!

also my friends car has stock HU with 6 or 8 cd changer and can play mp3!!! amazing. it came with hyundai remote control for audio!

overall very happy for u mate congratulations!!
Old 13th July 2009, 03:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Drive down to Chennai on the monster, sometime for a meet...

Or Chennai folks, how about a Coimbatore/ OOty meet on a weekend- a long weekend if we have one this year??!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread