Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th July 2009, 22:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
In the meantime, what is the reaction to a thought of painting the last panel, below the rearmost glass, grey to match the rest of the car. The roof and the rear pillars would remain white, to match the A pillar.
My reaction is a big NO! No offense, but the original colour scheme looks much better than the one you've illustrated. I hope you retain it :-)

Also, keeping the original colour scheme would make more sense considering your plans to sell the Pajero.

Just my $0.02!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 22:48   #47
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful write up on your experiances with Pajero.Its an awesone machine and one of the best from the stables of Mitsubishi.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 03:07   #48
BHPian

Quote:
In the meantime, what is the reaction to a thought of painting the last panel, below the rearmost glass, grey to match the rest of the car. The roof and the rear pillars would remain white, to match the A pillar.
I happened to see a SFX painted all in one shade today, including the roof, in a lighter shade of grey and it looked a lot more integrated as a shape.
My thought is to still keep the two tone, retain the heat reflecting benefit of the white roof, and have the car below the window line in all the same grey that a part of it is just now.
I'd say stay with the original. It lends a very purposeful look and besides the re-paint job will most certainly affect the resale value unfavorably.
Zensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 06:13   #49
Senior - BHPian

I take the point about resale, and I will hold on to my horses for just a while for this reason!
Purposeful - I think I have read more votes against than for on the forum, and I tend to agree with them actually. Currently the rear end looks like an afterthought that was not given time to be completed, in my mind! I think that a one color along the entire length will make the car look more integrated, and longer, allowing for a more proportionate look. Also, please don't make the judgement just on the basis of my shoddy photoshop paint job!
Finally it is all subjective of course, and I acknowledge the two pro comments that have been made for the existing scheme.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 07:04   #50
Senior - BHPian

Superb review Sawyer, this generation Pajero has always been my absolute favorite. I still do not understand why HM launched the SFX with different colored body panels. I would have prefered even the most basic paint on such an amazing vehicle! Cheers!
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 07:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

I agree, Stratos. And it is underrated as a car, because it takes time to fully appreciate it. Down to the 92 litre fuel tank! The first totally glitch free car I have owned was a Honda CRV, that remained so all the time I had it - from 2004 to 2009. This one has been glitch free too, with the exception of the alignment, till now. Underpowered - or more correctly, I think, one in need of a cruising overdrive - but the engine is now sounding a lot healthier as it settles in after crossing 14000kms. The gearbox is also a lot better, for similar reasons.
Old 27th July 2009, 13:49   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Underpowered - or more correctly, I think, one in need of a cruising overdrive - but the engine is now sounding a lot healthier as it settles in after crossing 14000kms. The gearbox is also a lot better, for similar reasons.
Sawyer: Due to the underpowered engine the final drive ratio is very high, hence you feel that rpm on the higher side on the highways. They can compensate it to a large extend by adding a 6th gear which will give you a good cruising gear.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 14:03   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Sawyer: Due to the underpowered engine the final drive ratio is very high, hence you feel that rpm on the higher side on the highways. They can compensate it to a large extend by adding a 6th gear which will give you a good cruising gear.
Bit late in the day to be of any benefit to me and others that have bought the car - and I can't also see them doing it for a car on which development stopped a good fifteen years ago, I am afraid!
Old 21st August 2009, 07:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

I have sold the car, and it will leave this Sunday. I did close to 15k glitch free kms on it, but was not able to use it to the extent its engineering called for, a waste of a resource. I got a decent price for it, largely based on how well it has been kept, and it is now time to move down/on to a Gypsy, that is a 4x4 that is better suited for the kind of use I have in mind. I will miss the Pajero, but I did get to use it for a year, so that was good. For someone that will use it to the hilt, it is still the best in the market at the price. I have a feeling for reasons I cannot quite articulate, that it will remain so even after the Fortuner enters the fray. Time will tell.
Old 21st August 2009, 08:14   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

If not too nosey - what price you got? Wish some announcements here on forums for people intending to sell vehicles.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 11:00   #56
BHPian

I have been thinking of a used Pajero SFX for some time now.

Sawyer,..as sudev asked...pls let us know the price you got as it will give me some idea of what its worth ad I can plan the rest...

Rajeev
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 13:12   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it is good you sold it before the Fortuner launch. Fortuner is going to kill the prices in the used car market for Pajero's and Endys.
Old 22nd August 2009, 06:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

I expect to get the payment today - and I will be happy to post the price as soon as that happens, because only then is the transaction complete! The car is one of the rare ones in truly mint condition, inside and out, and that is reflected in the price.
New Pajeros are still outselling Endeavours comfortably. Although 15 years old, it is still far superior in the 20 lakhs price bracket to any of the others in the market for someone that has bad roads/4x4 applications in mind. And it can also transport people in comfort to those bad roads, although at speeds in the 125kmph top speed range. I have started getting a feeling that the Fortuner is not going to kill the price for used Pajeros, though it will divert some of the demand for new ones. The Fortuner is based on the Innova platform and is not as deeply engineered a 4x4 as the Pajero, so there will still be people who prefer the Paj. I suspect that the Fortuner will cost the same as the Paj/Captiva, in the region of Rs 24 lakhs after RTO/Insurance is paid. Or even a little more than that. I could be wrong, but this is going to be a replica of the Jazz pricing disappointment for many people.

Last edited by Sawyer : 22nd August 2009 at 06:46.
Old 22nd August 2009, 09:17   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
New Pajeros are still outselling Endeavours comfortably.
Are you sure about this one mate? I thought the Endy was the largest selling vehicle in it's class.

Quote:
The Fortuner is based on the Innova platform and is not as deeply engineered a 4x4 as the Pajero, so there will still be people who prefer the Paj.
Innova/Hilux/Forunter share many chasis and drive train components. It is not that Fortuner is an Innova with 4WD.

Pajero fans tend to be critical of Fortuner's off-road capabilities. It may not have the history of the Pajero being a relatively newer model. However, it's off-road and engine specifications are in many ways superior to the Pajero. Mind you, I am not saying that the Pajero is not capable, but there is no reason why a Fortuner cannot do what a Pajero can with a Kick-*** 3.0 D4D Engine.

Old 22nd August 2009, 18:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

The Pajero sales are based on the sales analysis that gets posted here, I have no other source for that info - I think it is roughly in the range of 160 Pajeros v 60 Endeavours. If I read the XL file correctly.
No one really knows what the Fortuner can do in India, and it will become clear as it gets on the road and gets tested in local conditions. The three vehicles you refer to were the first to be developed outside of Toyota Japan, from a common IMV platform. In India the Innova has proved to be very good for its application, the Fortuner is untested. It also has some downsides, like not having 2wd at all, and that will impact FE. My point is that if it is available for the same price as a new Paj, some people will still opt for the Paj.
But as a Toyota, it will never be a bad product - just how good it is, is the question.
Let's see what the pricing looks like. That will tell us how Toyota looks at it, in terms of positioning. Not much longer to wait!

Last edited by Sawyer : 22nd August 2009 at 18:07.