Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th July 2009, 15:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Smile Palio - 2 years 7 months with 38800 on the Clock!

I always wanted to buy a palio, right from 2002, when i saw a black GTX standing on the side of the road.

In 2005 I found a 2003 GTX black at a dealership, and they quoted about 3.5L which was something really awesome, but then when i started it, there appeared to be a leak in the exhaust, something that put me off quite a bit.
In 2004 I went to the sundaram motors showroom to ask for a test drive, and that lady was - sorry- no test drive vehicle- please drive your friends cr. That put me off so much, that i did not even think about it. After the Tata Fiat JV was announced, i finally saw some hope and, in 2006 I finally took the plunge.

Oct 2006, i had cleared out the loan for the lancer, and was going through a magazine, saw that the new stile was being launched in January and thought to myself, hmm.. now that sounds good. why not wait.. but then after seeing pictures of the stile, was pretty disappointed with the car.

I spoke to a few folks on the PalioUsers group, and was finally convinced. Called up my fiance and said- how do you like the palio? She didnt quite react, thinking this was "one of those calls" of mine. I called up Concorde- they said- sorry sir, no stock. Called VST, same answer. Called Manipal, and they said - yes, we have stock, and we can send you test drive vehicle.

the guy brought the car at the requested time on the requested date. I took it out for a spin, and he was like- sir go fast to get a feel of the car. I asked him if this was the car they would give me if I bought, and he said yes! so that kinda put off the flooring and ripping to the limit part!

I came home- called up my fiance again, and said- im buying it! she asked what color? Moon mist grey was the color. She said ok. So i handed over the booking amount to the person, and requst him not to send this car for test drives again. He was awesome enough to maintain that, the odometer read a mere 72Kms when I took delivery - when i took it for a test drive - it read 54. The totals tallied.

Went in the first week of december to pay the money - and asked them if i could see the car. Palio - 2 years 7 months with 38800 on the Clock!-madan_palio_in-yard.jpg
It was there... my very first. dont ask me why i bought this and not the 1.6 or even the 1.2 sport. But I just bought this.

December 13th, I bring the car homeName:  eleanor.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  38.6 KB
She is just lying at home for the first three days. When I came back home from the showroom, the car showed approx about 90kms on the odo- wednesday evening it was.
Friday night, finally took her out for a drive- and covered about 60kms before parking her back. I was in love!

Satuarday morning, took the car, got a pioneer HU and bostons fitted, along with seat covers and tint.

The first and only "problem" i ever had started on that weekend. It appeared that the car was missing at times. Called the sales guy, he said - sir, please bring the car, i will get it fixed. He came with me to the workshop and there, the head of the works came and took a look. he said that because of non usage, one of the injectors had gotten blocked as there was no error code on the computer. They opend it, cleaned it and put it back, and the car was purring just fine.

They announced time attack, and i decided that I HAD to go. So i pushed hard to complete my 1000kms before that. finished about 920 kms, and got the first service done, and then did a trip to bangalore - first of the many in my car. Loved it. thats all I can summarize.

First service was awesome, they called, came picked up the car and dropped it back. Paid that guy some money and car was ready.
Name:  trackday.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  123.2 KB

Finally took her onto the trck for the first time, trooper was sitting next to me and getting frustrated as we were "cruising" at 60 but this was the first time on track and I was not planning on screwing anything up. It was a really fun day.

May 2007, my family and I, packed our bags and drove down to kerala. It was to be a long trip, I hooked up my worldspace and had tunes all the way through. that trip we did about 2500 odd kms with zero complaints from the car or passengers. On the way back from bangalore, I clocked a cool 155kmph, but the slowed down cause I was still running stock tires.

After that, there have been one more session on the track -
Name:  Palio on track.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  300.4 KB

and innumerable drives to bangalore, pondicherry, mahabalipuram, horsley hills and more. The car just chomping up miles. I finally got my first puncture on the Goodyear GP2s about a month ago. Else, no more complaints from her.

Get the oil changed every 5K kms, putting in semi synth. Air filter and oil filter changd/ cleaned as often. Engine flush and radiator flush being done at every service and finally sorted out the little rusting issues that everyone so famously associates my car with!

Current Ice setup -

Pioneer HU,
Boston rear and door speakrs.
JBL amp and sub (dont remember the model number)

Net net. 2 years and 7 months later and 38800 kms on the clock, i still love driving my car!
Attached Images

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th July 2009 at 16:26. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 16:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Madan,

One heck of a review! You are still very very much in love with the car, aren't you!

Wishing you many many more happy miles, mate!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 16:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Madan, Nice review & pics!

If you are keeping it for long, get the alloys pal!
Also paint the door-handles & mirrors as the body color. Will enhance the looks.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 16:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

lovely long term review madan

why didn't you go for alloys? did you get the rust treatment done on the boot? wish you many more miles
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 17:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. You seem to be one of the rare breed that are happy with FIAT Service in teir town. Where do you go for service? What is the F.E you are getting?
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 06:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Another FIAT love story

Keep chomping the miles and hope that they be trouble free.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 06:57   #7
BHPian

hey madam, nice review dude, you sure have a place for palio in your heart.

But why no alloys, if that car had alloys it would be looking like a killer in the track photo,
jp2u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 13:38   #8
Team-BHP Support

Nice review. Can see your enjoying with your FIAT. Keep up those revvs
Btw, in 2 years and 9 months i have covered 42K Kms in my Viva CRDi
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 14:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Get all my servicing done at electra. got just the first free service done at TASS. None the less, i stopped going there simply because of the distance to the workshop.
Quote:
What is the F.E you are getting?
my fe- get about 12 in the city with a/c and about 16 on the highway.

next upgrade is alloys and new set of tyres!

@jp2u- its an N not M.. please!
Old 2nd September 2009, 01:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Great long term review and nice to read that you are still in love with the Palio.

I however came here looking for more info about the corrosion on your tail-gate. Can you explain how it happened as it seemed mighty unusual to me.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Madan,You really maintaining it very well.What is the mileage that it returns?.I liked the color too.Shod her with some good alloys,as your are close to 40K.
Have a good drive,all the best
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:17   #12
BHPian

Nice to read reviews of people who love their car very much!

Drive safe and enjoy
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 15:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Great long term review and nice to read that you are still in love with the Palio.

I however came here looking for more info about the corrosion on your tail-gate. Can you explain how it happened as it seemed mighty unusual to me.

Cheers,
sorry for the rather delayed response Ravveendrra - there were some paint boils on the car when i took delivery, however, i just ignored them thinking its nothing major. werll, that is what developed later. That combined with the water being used to clean the car- my parents place was - was hard water, now its metro and there are no new signs at all.

it was quite unsual to me as well, but got it all fixed.

edit- quick update- its now 3 years and 2 months and 42K on the clock. Changed the tyres to Yoko A Drives and Whatan idea sirji. Feels like im gliding. I did have apprehensions on putting tubeless tyres on steel rims but put my mind to ease after running on them for a while.

Got a 40K service done, all systems are a go! no issues with anything.. got me thinking as to why does everyone talk about the "unreliability" of the palio. hmm!

Guess many more miles to go before this baby sleeps!

Last edited by madan80 : 8th March 2010 at 15:19.