Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 28th November 2015, 11:00   #481
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - 70,000 kms and counting

The Safari will be going in for a replacement of the turbo hoses and the ABS sensors at Vijay Motors, Palakkad, on the 2nd of December.

For some strange reason, Vijay Motor's was not able to source the part from TATA for a good 2.5 months, since my last visit.

Wrote a mail to TATA customer care, which got forwarded to South CRM within the hour.

The CRM called to confirm as to where we would like to do the repair, as it was a KA registered vehicle, running in Chennai and repair being asked for in KL. Stuck with KL, as the team at Vijay Motor's are aware of the issue and were much better than the team service I got at Concord, Trichy. Fingers crossed.

Next day got confirmation from customer support team from Vijay Motor's that the parts are available and they are on standby for the vehicle at their center on the 2nd.

3 days from issue raised to resolution.

Hope the final outcome does WOW me further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Good to see your beast still going strong! A couple of tips, for the benefit of others:

Next for me is footware. Still running on the OEM B'stones.

Thanks, Cool_Dube!

Valid tips, with regard to the battery and timing belt.

Planning to stick with BridgeStone or move to a different brand?
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2015, 11:29   #482
BHPian

Hi Suresh,
I thought this machine is long sold off. Nice to see the beast still doing rounds on and offline. I now know who to contact before my next set of rubber.
cheers
vijay
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 11:41   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
So, after getting close to 80,000 kms of running, went in for a change in the tyres. It was cutting it too close as the tyres not only have crossed 6 years of service, but also few cracks started developing.

With the good experience with the Michelin's, decided to go in for the same make and model.

Prices were being quote at INR 8,100, with the lowest being INR 7,600, at Trichy and Chennai.

Fortunately had a member in the family working for Michelin and was able to get a good discount, which end with each tyre costing INR 6,100. Sweet!
What has been your experience with Michelin LTXs? I am in for a change next month and have shortlisted Continental Cross Contact A/T at 235/70/16, Michelin LTX AT2 at 235/70/16 and Maxxis Bravo 771 AT at 255/65/16. Need to freeze one of them before an upcoming drive into the hills in December.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 12:43   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
What has been your experience with Michelin LTXs? I am in for a change next month and have shortlisted Continental Cross Contact A/T at 235/70/16, Michelin LTX AT2 at 235/70/16 and Maxxis Bravo 771 AT at 255/65/16. Need to freeze one of them before an upcoming drive into the hills in December.
Have absolutely no issue with them. On road, rocks and sand: never felt wanting in any of these situations.

Had just one puncture due to a nail getting logged in, over this period.

Very low road noise, if any.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 13:33   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Planning to stick with BridgeStone or move to a different brand?
Leaning towards Michelin LTX, based on positive feedback from many quarters. Will stick to standard size.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 14:54   #486
Senior - BHPian

(Apologies for the photos slanted; it is coming properly in the computer and when clicked on; it is this preview which is wrong).

The vacuum hose has been changed. It seems the new design has a vacuum reservoir outlet, which isn't present in my GX. Work was done at Vijay Motors, Palakkad.

After the initial run around and confusion, they sealed off the outlet and fixed that.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - 70,000 kms and counting-img_0052.jpg

ABS still continues to be a mystery. The old sensor on the front was replace with a new one (VST Trichy had already replaced one sensor during August). Still without any luck.

Will need to get it to some knowledgeable team, either in a authorized center or outside.

The driver seat arm rest came out of its holder. The internal plastics have broken off. Need to see if I can get a replacement or this can be repaired.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - 70,000 kms and counting-img_0050.jpg

Apart from that, had few scares with the vehicle, and yours truly, being at Chennai on the 1st of December. Water level kept rising and I kept moving the vehicle to higher grounds. Finally left the area, which involved driving in water which came till foot rest.

Drove out of Chennai on 3rd morning, straight to Trichy for a 30 minutes tea break at parents place, and then to Palakkad.

The drive out of Chennai, and to Trichy, was the fastest I have done, in terms of distance covered against time. Guindy at 1100 and at home in Trichy at 15:30. Was able to cruise at 100kmph as there was minimal traffic through out. Reached Palakkad at 2030.

The days numbers were 664 kms, consuming 52.32 liters, average 12.7kmpl.

Covered a further distance of 1000 kms, before leaving the country. The refills in between gave the following mileages:

578 kms, consuming 46.39 liters, average 12.4kmpl.
358 kms, consuming 26.74 liters, average 13.3kmpl.

Got into a situation where lack of differential locks was felt. Parked too off the tarred road that both left side wheels where spinning away to glory in mud. Though they dug in, was able to place few broken bricks and self recover.

Both front headlights have fogged up with the continuous rains. This affected their performance during night drives, especially bad when covering Namakkal to Trichy, with the rain and every jack driving with high beams!

The left side fog lamp keep going bust! Tried changing it myself and God, how much more difficult can it get! Lying down and with having to twist ones arm wasn't enough; more so with the mosquitoes having a full blown feast on you didn't help!

Seems to have got a ant colony setup in the vehicle. Can see red ants on the bonnet every time the vehicle is parked for more than an hour. Also noticed them on a food pack that was left in the vehicle overnight. Very concerned about it and not sure how to get this addressed. Any advice will be appreciated.

The light in the engine bay wasn't working for quite some time. Assuming it to be the case of fuse bulb, had changed it to no use. Didn't bother about it expecting the casing or holder to have an issue. The issue actually seems to be a case of the wires being cut!
Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - 70,000 kms and counting-img_0053.jpg

Interiors are still holding out OK. Need to do a through cleaning, though.
Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - 70,000 kms and counting-img_0047.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - 70,000 kms and counting-img_0046.jpg

The odometer as it stood before the drive to Madurai airport.
Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - 70,000 kms and counting-img_0048.jpg

Apart from these, the vehicle still drives like a dream. 3rd gear still remains the all time favorite in traffic. Engine sound does seems to have got a bit rough but settles down after 20-30kms of driving.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - 70,000 kms and counting-img_0054.jpg
HappyWheels is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 17:44   #487
Senior - BHPian

Vehicle has done 89,000 kms so far.

Was in India for a 3 weeks vacation and drove the vehicle for 2,000 kms within that time. No major issue to report.

Two observations:
- mileage has dropped to 12kmpl
- black smoke on hard acceleration on 1st gear has become very high. This was not present before.

Apart from this, nothing to report. The vehicle still pulls like a loco and the drive comfort is as good as ever.

Had got the engine oil and filter changed at VST Motors, Trichy and they forgot to fix back a bolt. Noticed the rattling sound while parking the vehicle. Took it back the next day and got it fixed.

Funny part was that I clearly told the SA what the issue is and what needs to be done. He takes the vehicle to the service bay and tells the mechanic that the customer is complaining about silencer sound. When I noticed the mechanics inspecting the under body, knew something was amiss. Went to them and told the guys what needs to be done. Work done in 2 minutes.

Wipers were changed with RainX wipers I had taken with me. Were very much needed with the rains in Kerala.

Gave the big guy a much needed polish. The team from 3M Trichy came home and did the polish. Though it could have been done much better, I feel something is better than nothing. Also got the interiors cleaned.

The vehicle, as it stands now:
Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - 70,000 kms and counting-img_20160808_140210.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - 70,000 kms and counting-img_20160808_140227.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - 70,000 kms and counting-img_20160808_140250.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - 70,000 kms and counting-img_20160808_140320.jpg

The odo reading, before the drive back to Chennai airport.
Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - 70,000 kms and counting-img_20160808_140419.jpg
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote