Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th July 2005, 11:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Awesome write up Rudra and equally great pics. The Optra is a complete VFM package in both 1.6 and 1.8 avtaars. I love the comfort levels of the Optra and the interiors give you a feel of a car much bigger than it actually is. Looking forward to driving your baby when I get the chance to come to Bangy

Dippy
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 12:03   #17
Team-BHP Support

Great write up

As I wrote in your earlier post, you need to mention that the the performance of the car has improved tremendously recently
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 14:33   #18
Team-BHP Support

well what should i say, ol man said it all.. and yeah that me sitting in the driver seat.. how about some moving shots

cheers
Jaggu
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 14:59   #19
DRC
BHPian

Rudra sir..,
Thats a good write up..
Especially I was looking for an upgrade and fellow BHPians suggested optra against Octi..

The pictures are great,

Do Bangalore TPHPians have a regular meet, If so next time pleae do let this newbie know about it.. It would be great opporunity to meet up with experts on autos and photos..
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 15:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Rudra and Jaggu have been redifining the term "Team BHP Meet"... A heads up please there are a lot more followers and stowaways waiting in line to join you guys...
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 15:54   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rudra,

Sweet review. I especially like how you have elaborated about not having every car gauged by its 0 - 100 timing; though I am guilty of the same at times. Your thoughts sum up exactly what I thought after being with an Optra 1.6 for a short while. But whats a long term report without the FE component?

And Who has NOT driven your Optra yet?

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 16:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hello Rudraji,

Good long term report! I really liked your style of reporting, very different from the conventional ones that most of us follow. I am so happy that I have company. My Palio has run about 8k km in about 17 months of purchase. So, I've got company here

Cheers
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 16:42   #23
BHPian

Cool write-up, Rudra.. At the risk of being seen as taking liberties with you, I would describe this as:

"A mature article about a mature car, by a mature person" .. Abe Lincoln, here I come..

The 1.8 Holden mill has come under some criticism by a few 'auto-critics' in the mags who are recommending the 1.6 instead. Rudra, your opinion and more details on the feel of the engine pl.

Am glad to see this report. It validates my recommendation of Optra to a friend, although I had to push myself to do it.

RahulMD: I think I hear a Petra driver complaining about 'lack of weight' .. Thats my usual complaint with any car, after having driven a Siena for 4+ years. Get used to it ;-)
nitinbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 17:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Tell me one thing. How? Just how can you maintain that car so spotless and clean?

Awesome report, and even more awesome pictures.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 17:13   #25
BHPian

Thumbs up

Rudraji,

Good review and great pics. In fact for a moment i thought they were from the optra site. Hope to get some tips/ghyan on photography sometime.

Conan
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 17:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Why is it that I am the only one who cant seem to see most pictures on TBHP ???????
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2005, 22:34   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
PS : I was expecting your car to have done more than 7500kms.
Yes Shan, so did I. But you must consider that most of the time Iím not in town and I have another old baby to look after

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
sweeet...so now you can leave the car with the doctor for full performance !!!
Little later doctor. Few more months to go only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulmd
1. Lack of feeling/ weight in the steering at high speeds
I donít really know the steering feel on your Petra because Iíve not driven it that day. And come to think of it, Iíve friends who have VTECs, SKODAs. But still I havenít driven any of themÖ.Donít know why!! Unless you guys have serious doubt about myÖ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Yeah, the front lifting problem with Baleno (even with upgraded tyres), well I am really looking for a solution to that. My next service is nearing, may be I'll have long talk with the service guys.
This is one area which needs to be checked. I would like to know if all Baleno owners here are having the same.
Doctor Iceman, Samurai needs your help here.

Quote:
Regarding the stickers, you told me you can get me the kind of sticker you have, I am still waiting.
Sir, donít you think we should meet little more than what we do now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
my dad himself is looking to buy the Optra..we recently test drove it ...will certainly make him go through your ownership experience of the build quality and ride comfort
Iím happy if this note is working out useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Anyway, trying to get better with cameras to do justice to the cars.
Best wishes. Let the old man know if you need any help on that exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Good to see that you have not faced any problems with the Optra. But then again you've only put on 7,500 km in 16 months! And I though I put less mileage on my car How was the service carried out? Any complaints on the dealership? What did you pay for your services or were they totally free?
Iíve seen problems with cars done less than 3000km. For Obvious reason Iím not going to take names here. That can happen when we meet.
Dealerís behaviour is good with me at least. There could be two reasons behind this.
A. Sundaram Motors also deals with Mercedes Benz and they know my connection with DCIL marketing team.
B. I have bonded a good friendship with the main service manager. Nothing helps more than personal relation. My learning from advertising business.
Iíve been there twice for service. First after 500km for routine check up according to manual and second after completing 1 year or 10000km. In my case it was 5200km only. Both the services were completely free. This was in March and after that as you know I havenít travelled much. April to June Iíve covered 2300km.

Quote:
Regarding your headlights, I believe you already have 100/90W bulbs right? Do you still feel them lacking? Problem here is it's hard to find H1's as most cars have H4 bulbs, so you are limited to a couple of choices.
I havenít touched my headlamps. They came with 55/60 lamps.
Please help me on this therefore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Looking forward to driving your baby when I get the chance to come to Bangy
Come buddy. Youíll be the eighth one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmat
As I wrote in your earlier post, you need to mention that the performance of the car has improved tremendously recently
Yes, It has become smoother and the response is vastly improved. That was my feeling and confirmed by you. Not taking few single malts into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
how about some moving shots
For what? Your wallpaper? Ok, let me know which one you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
Do Bangalore TPHPians have a regular meet, If so next time pleae do let this newbie know about it.. It would be great opporunity to meet up with experts on autos and photos..
The key here is to keep in touch. We (Jaggu, Iceman, Psycho and few others) meet regularly however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
A heads up please there are a lot more followers and stowaways waiting in line to join you guys...
Stop complaining and start organising. Iím there as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
But whats a long term report without the FE component?
Oooops!! Sorry GTO, I donít really look at FE. My mistake for making it an incomplete write up.
Took a drive to Madras when it was 2700km on the clock. It gave me 13.5 km with AC on all the time. Base speed was 100kmph due to truck strike and free road.
Now after 7500km, hghway with comfortable cruising at 100/120kmph= 15km/ltr. If I gun it (140+) 13kmph. This is true to my knowledge after making so many trips on the weekend.
In city with horrible Bangalore traffic at peak hour and with AC, = 8.5-9km/ltr.

Quote:
And Who has NOT driven your Optra yet?
Nobody except Ajmat, Jaggu, Psycho, Rahulmd, Tom, Shan2nu, Rtech....You're about to come to BLR for such a long time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
My Palio has run about 8k km in about 17 months of purchase. So, I've got company here
Only way to improve that is to join us on weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
The 1.8 Holden mill has come under some criticism by a few 'auto-critics' in the mags who are recommending the 1.6 instead. Rudra, your opinion and more details on the feel of the engine pl.
Silent. Slightly lethargic at city drive if youíre within 1500-2000 rpm range. Above 3000rpm not really a bullet but a hot knife through butter. Extremely eager after 3500rpm. Shift as fast as possible to fifth after 4500rpm.. enjoy the sight of speedometer needle shooting upwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Tell me one thing. How? Just how can you maintain that car so spotless and clean?
Thatís my forte. If I may say that. No point keeping a black one otherwise. I hope you agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Why is it that I am the only one who cant seem to see most pictures on TBHP
Itís not only you making this complaint. One other member called team Fiat (not posting for a long time though) had the same issue.
Some censorship must be happening at Dubai end.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 08:24   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
I Iíve friends who have VTECs, SKODAs. But still I havenít driven any of themÖ.Donít know why!! Unless you guys have serious doubt about myÖ

Just ask or grab the keys - have already told you to have a go!!!!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 09:27   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Sir, donít you think we should meet little more than what we do now?
I know, but weekday evenings are tough since that's when I sync up with US office. After finishing all the meetings, the very thought of wading through 10KMs of peak hour traffic to Indiranagar sounds insane, especially when my house is 2KMs away. On weekdays I rarely reach home before 9PM. Therefore weekends belong to the wife, she gets to pick what to do, you know how it goes. Heh, heh, I am only married for 9 years, therefore my wife is not yet sick of me, she still wants me around...

But, you tell me if you guys are meeting somewhere on weekends for couple of hours, I'll do my best to make it.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2005, 10:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

hey GTO, i have not driven his car yet.

rudra sir, by doctor i dint mean me...
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote