Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 19:28   #196
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,559
Thanked: 616 Times
Default Re: Mica Black Altis in the house - 15,000kms report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

- brake squealing under even light braking

Got a call in the afternoon informing me that my rear pads were completely worn out and needed replacement. I was expecting this but was surprised to hear that the rears were worn whereas front ones were absolutely fine. 21K kms of city driving and rear pads getting worn out is silly. Spoke to a mechanic there who said it's normal as the rear are high wearing pads. That's also the reason you see huge brake dust accumulation on the rear alloys.

Have told them to go ahead and change the pads. Price for a new seat of rear pads is Rs.6K. Will be getting the car back today and update further with final service cost.
Vid,

I read this post and thought your car is a AT, when I went to the first page I see its a MT.

Rear brake pads worn out in 21K in a MT car, is it not surprising ?

I think Mod Jaggu's swift brake pads have given up at 60K. I know we are comparing a Sedan to a hatch but still I feel 21K is too short.

If this is the case with MT, how long you corolla AT's brake pads last ?

So 6K every 20,000 kms ?

Please share your views based on your discussion with the SA.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 19:38   #197
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,428
Thanked: 1,670 Times
Default Re: Mica Black Altis - 21,000kms *update Pg. 13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Oil drain plug - Rs.40.
What was wrong with the plug? or was it the drain plug washer.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 20:04   #198
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,994
Thanked: 17,744 Times
Default Re: Mica Black Altis - 21,000kms *update Pg. 13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Vid,

I read this post and thought your car is a AT, when I went to the first page I see its a MT.

Rear brake pads worn out in 21K in a MT car, is it not surprising ?

I think Mod Jaggu's swift brake pads have given up at 60K. I know we are comparing a Sedan to a hatch but still I feel 21K is too short.

If this is the case with MT, how long you corolla AT's brake pads last ?

So 6K every 20,000 kms ?

Please share your views based on your discussion with the SA.
The Altis is known to be heavy on brake pads so I kinda expected it. I asked the SA and even mentioned it as a poor feedback. Unfortunately it's a consumable and a known issue that the pads get worn quickly. There was no point arguing because he showed me the pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
What was wrong with the plug? or was it the drain plug washer.
The plug is use and throw. Remove it, let the old oil drain out and then put in a new one. They don't put back the old one.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 20:34   #199
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,428
Thanked: 1,670 Times
Default Re: Mica Black Altis - 21,000kms *update Pg. 13*

Hmm...really! That's the first I've heard of use and throw bolt. I wonder why

Also rear pads going out so early is just poor design from Toyota.

Last edited by Mpower : 7th May 2012 at 20:36.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 08:12   #200
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOIDA, Manchester & Cardiff
Posts: 565
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639

The Altis is known to be heavy on brake pads so I kinda expected it. I asked the SA and even mentioned it as a poor feedback. Unfortunately it's a consumable and a known issue that the pads get worn quickly. There was no point arguing because he showed me the pads.

The plug is use and throw. Remove it, let the old oil drain out and then put in a new one. They don't put back the old one.
I have an Altis AT which has done only 21000 kms and SA has told me that there is only 1.5 mm thickness left of rear brake pads. I have to go there on completing 22000 kms. He has quoted me Rs 8500 as cost of pads + labour. Where did you get the pads for 6200? Was it a Toyota service center or from open market. Do we get genuine parts from open market and should I take the chance to get these changed from outside. I have completed 3 years and have got it serviced only from the service center.

Only issue so far was that if I open the fresh air intake of AC, outside smell used to come inside, which should not come as the car has a Pollen filter. Got the AC filter changed for 1150 plus labour but no improvement.

SA has advised that the front pads will last for 30-31000 kms.

Please advise on the rear pad issue.
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 09:48   #201
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,994
Thanked: 17,744 Times
Default Re: Mica Black Altis - 21,000kms *update Pg. 13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
I have an Altis AT which has done only 21000 kms and SA has told me that there is only 1.5 mm thickness left of rear brake pads. I have to go there on completing 22000 kms. He has quoted me Rs 8500 as cost of pads + labour. Where did you get the pads for 6200? Was it a Toyota service center or from open market. Do we get genuine parts from open market and should I take the chance to get these changed from outside. I have completed 3 years and have got it serviced only from the service center.

Only issue so far was that if I open the fresh air intake of AC, outside smell used to come inside, which should not come as the car has a Pollen filter. Got the AC filter changed for 1150 plus labour but no improvement.

SA has advised that the front pads will last for 30-31000 kms.

Please advise on the rear pad issue.
Brake pads were replaced at Toyota dealer and not by outside garage. I hope prices have not gone up since then.

Maybe there's some AC vent that has been eaten up rats? I again don't see that problem.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 10:30   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Mica Black Altis - 21,000kms *update Pg. 13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hmm...really! That's the first I've heard of use and throw bolt. I wonder why
If I recall correctly, the oil drain plug is replaced during Civic oil change too.

Brake pad prices may have gone up. Civic front pad prices are up from 5,xxx to 6,xxx I think.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 12:41   #203
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,994
Thanked: 17,744 Times
Default Re: Mica Black Altis - 21,000kms *update Pg. 13*

Just crossed the 25K milestone yesterday night while returning home. Nothing to report out of the ordinary. This truly is a fill it, shut it, forget it type of car. All it needs is the yearly service. So far in 25K kms only part replaced is rear brake pads.

2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL ownership report - 68,000 kms and close to 8 years later-altis_25k.jpg

I haven't gotten the car to drive much so it's completely in the hands of the driver. Driver keeps forgetting to reset the trip after every fuel fill so the trip shows 3.5K since reset and the average FE for this 3.5K kms is 10kmpl as per the MID.

Sunfilm was removed but the rear 2 windows were a royal pain. I had Llumar films all round. The fronts came off easily leaving very little glue but the rears came off with most of the glue on the glass.

The only issue is the fuel expenses per month. In the month of May, the Altis took close to 13K worth of fuel. Whenever my dad is traveling out of Bangalore, an airport drop is 100kms round trip and when he comes back usually the next day it is another 100kms for the driver to pick him up. So 200kms just for each airport duty. Dad usually travels twice a month on an average which means nearly a full tank goes for airport duty alone.

Coupled with EMI which will soon be done in 2 months when 3 years are completed, monthly running expenses are huge. Need to start thinking of a diesel car soon once the loan is closed.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 22:48   #204
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jam-luru
Posts: 250
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: Mica Black Altis - 21,000kms *update Pg. 13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Need to start thinking of a diesel car soon once the loan is closed.
And given your ownership experience will it be the Diesel Altis or something else ?
LonelyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 15:33   #205
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Mica Black Altis - 21,000kms *update Pg. 13*

Hey Vid,

I too drive a Altis AT and have got the rear brake pad replaced at ~35,000 kms

however, the car is a GEM - fill it , shut it, forget it

Notice you have very different set of lights - would you know who in Bangalore can do those lights for me?
Vivek
vivekrvcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 10:38   #206
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,994
Thanked: 17,744 Times
Default Re: Mica Black Altis - 21,000kms *update Pg. 13*

Coincidentally, the Altis turned 3 yesterday.

Kms covered is 27,400kms. Still no problems. Drives the same and nothing feels out of place.

Mileage is around 9.5-10.5kmpl depending on traffic it encounters.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
And given your ownership experience will it be the Diesel Altis or something else ?
Looking at the Diesel Elantra AT or if VW come up with a lower variant of the Jetta DSG.

Wouldn't go near the Altis diesel. That engine is really dismal for the Altis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
Hey Vid,

I too drive a Altis AT and have got the rear brake pad replaced at ~35,000 kms

however, the car is a GEM - fill it , shut it, forget it

Notice you have very different set of lights - would you know who in Bangalore can do those lights for me?
Vivek
Hey Vivek, mine is not an AT, it's an MT. ALso, my lights are not changed at all, OE lights. Only change in my car is the front grill, which is from the diesel model.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:17   #207
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Mica Black Altis - 21,000kms *update Pg. 13*

Thanks for clarifying Vid - for some reason the lights look better (fantastic angle on the pic)
Would you by any chance know where I can find a 65w hi beam bulb upgrade? I dont want a 100w or any higher wattage that requires cut-outs etc

And where did you manage the diesel grill from? How much?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Coincidentally, the Altis turned 3 yesterday.




Hey Vivek, mine is not an AT, it's an MT. ALso, my lights are not changed at all, OE lights. Only change in my car is the front grill, which is from the diesel model.
vivekrvcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 21:33   #208
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,994
Thanked: 17,744 Times
Default

Altis was due for 30,000kms service in February. Usually all my cars have been clocking 10,000kms every 12 months on the dot. Asked the driver casually if he remembered when we did the last service and at what kms. Few days later he tells me that the service was done at 21K kms in February and next service was at 31K kms which we crossed early december! Now it's done 34,000kms.

Booked an appointment with Ravindu for today and dropped off the car in the afternoon. Compared to last year the KR Puram branch was choc a bloc with cars and people this time. I couldn't even get a parking spot for my Figo.

The major item which I wanted done, was replacing the ORVM cover and the indicator light on the ORVM, which was smashed by a car and a drunkard within the same week. I had called the body shop head Mr. Vallesh Rao a month back and told him about the mirror case and indicator that had broken. He said he would find out the estimate and call back. He never did. Today when I reached, he comes up to me and says, "Sir, I have kept the part for you for last one month". LOL.

Issues with the car: NONE!!

Yes that's right. There was not a single thing to complain about. Not a squeak, rattle or any mechanical issue to report about. I thought hard for the whole week prior to giving the car to see if something was there which I can tell the SA to fix but nothing came up.

FE was 10.XXKmpl regularly. Car was driving as normal even though service was 3,000kms over due.

This was the FE I got after a quick early morning drive to airport. This was average FE for 100kms. I reset the MId when starting off.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130201_214051.png
Views: 1474
Size:  352.4 KB

I had cleaned the K&N air filter 2 weeks back (which I also forgot to clean for 1.5 years!!!) and it was like someone put in aviation fuel grade into the tank. The car was effortless to drive after that and was revving ever so smoothly. The intake growl also increased since the filter was now clean and allowing in the extra air it was meant to do.

Estimate given was Rs.3,700 excluding the ORVM replacement. The 30K kms includes oil and oil filter change along with regular service items and has AC filter replacement added in. This filter is around Rs.800 I think.

Car is expected back tomorrow afternoon. Will update the costs then.

Got an SMS from Ravindu while driving back home that car was received and work has started. The SMS mentioned the estimate cost, time of expected delivery and the SA's name and number. Nice.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st February 2013 at 21:43.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 22:24   #209
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,333
Thanked: 5,870 Times
Default re: Toyota Altis 1.8 GL - 47,000kms *update* New Yokohama tyres finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
...Issues with the car: NONE!!

Yes that's right. There was not a single thing to complain about. Not a squeak, rattle or any mechanical issue to report about. I thought hard for the whole week prior to giving the car to see if something was there which I can tell the SA to fix but nothing came up...
Every time I read a Toyota ownership review, more & more I am inclined towards this brand! The "fill it, forget it" nature & low service costs make this car very ideal for a first time car buyer. Sad they have NOT cracked it yet.

Read that you might look at a Jetta diesel after this car. Do you really think it can keep you happy the way Corolla did? Or are you getting bored of the boring "no issues" car?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 22:34   #210
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,994
Thanked: 17,744 Times
Default re: Toyota Altis 1.8 GL - 47,000kms *update* New Yokohama tyres finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Read that you might look at a Jetta diesel after this car. Do you really think it can keep you happy the way Corolla did? Or are you getting bored of the boring "no issues" car?
Me? Jetta? Where? Next replacement has to be an automatic. An automatic is best for driver, car and me. Driver is happy with automatic, car cannot get abused by driver being AT and lastly I can drive in traffic roads peacefully.

Jetta DSG is an option, Fortuner AT is an option and Elantra CRDi AT is an option. From all the above, only the Fortuner AT can provide the same peace of mind but is nowhere as plush in ride quality as the Altis.

Right now, the Altis is running perfectly so there's no real need for replacement. But you never know.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Corolla Altis AT *UPDATE: 67000 KM, 8 years- now on CNG!* mrkanitkar Long-Term Ownership Reviews 50 30th January 2017 15:23
Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 AT - 4.5 years, 51000 kms. Running well...very well! geronimo Long-Term Ownership Reviews 36 16th January 2017 10:59
Initial ownership report Toyota Corolla Altis-1.8G/Silver Gany Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 54 9th March 2016 13:34
Toyota Corolla H4 Automatic EDIT: Now at 8+ years/78,000 kms vasudeva Long-Term Ownership Reviews 203 21st June 2015 12:12
Swift Diesel (LDi) Ownership review: 2 years and 53000 km later RufRoc Long-Term Ownership Reviews 60 13th April 2011 16:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks