Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 6th July 2007, 17:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Hi Guderian, that's a nice detailed review.

I read somewhere that the Scorpio is a little difficult to drive in the rain - it mentioned that even at low speeds water splashes directly on the windshield. Can you share your experiences - do you face this problem?
Hi Cypher...Fact is if you rush into a puddle (whether its raining or not) and the vehicle sort of settles into it (result of a ditch being present as well ) the water is thrown up onto the windscreen. However when tearing into a large puddle on a plain ground not much of an issue at speeds upto 60/65 KMPH. However at 80 & beyond there is water thrown up to some extent. I have had not much of an issue on this account as having understood this behavioural attribute of TB the instinct is to slow down to sensible levels on spotting a minor water body and try not do a Moses and attempt to part mighty waters !
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 17:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Nice Report there... very nice read.
Do comment on the highway stability past 100 kph
Hi E Torque - Frankly I've had no issues with the stablity beyond 100 KMPH. It does feel very stable and solid to me, though I wouldn't advice going beyond 140 KMPH on the beast. However like any SUV/or half an SUV(!) (with leaf springs and high C o Gravity) cornering should be done sensibly, at high speeds it does feel like handling a long wet rag with the tail seeming to have a mind of its own. But having checked this with owners of other brands of SUVs/half SUVs I find that similar characteristics exist with their vehicles as well. Nevertheless caution in cornering is strongly advised.
Old 6th July 2007, 19:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

@guderian... The reason I asked it is because I come across a lot of posts on the forum which say that its not stable at 3 digit speeds. I have driven the scorpio in city though not on the highway so I am not qualified to comment on the high speed stability. What I didnt liked about it is the steering which is very vague and lifeless and the brakes which are not progressive and at most times feel soggy. That apart it was very manevourable for it size and engine response is fantastic.

P.S. I am sure some of you must have experienced the dashboard mounted middle vents. They started coming with the crde version. They are at best completely useless. To some they may look good, but whats point if they dont do what they are supposed to. Although the AC is fantastic chiller I was sweating it out in the drivers seat simply because I couldnt direct the air flow towards myself. The right side vent is fine because its the usual fins type. Couldn't believe a car company at this day and age can commit such an ergonomic blunder.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 23:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi ET - Luckily for me the A/C vents are the old fins type.The all new (now old though !) Scorpio came out with the circular vents you're mentioning. Stability OK as far as I am concerned, brakes are fairly decent as mentioned earlier - but yes the steering is over-assisted - but anyway you get used to it pretty fast.
Old 7th July 2007, 03:54   #20
BHPian

Fantastic write up.Respect - Nothing Else will do. I am a big fan of the Scorpio and now currently own my second one. I have had the pleasure of taking this beast to places where people can only dream of going. Have a look at the Himalayan rally thread and you will know what I am ranting about.

The quality of plastics, especially the switch gear has been vastly improved in the new Scorpio's.

I would also recomend using Turbo Jet. Theres a considerable improvement in performance. TB should read as THE BEAST. The bull sounds a little tame, in my opinion.

Last edited by Sideways : 7th July 2007 at 03:56.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 14:55   #21
BANNED

good write up buddy..even i did 155 on scorpio ..had no problem.
zenopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 16:03   #22
BHPian

Fantastic write up - As you said, each vehicle is unique and we should first try to understand its limitations. Life is easier after that. good one again..
pugram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 19:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice Review Guardian !!!!

It's my dream to own and drive a TB. Macho presence and look and I rule the road attitude.... Would u guys in T-BHP recommend me buying a used TB? As the new one is out of my budget right now. I can spare upto 6~6.5L.

But all these days I heard (from my freinds of course) that it is not recommended to buy a second hand Diesel vehicle? What do you guys have to say about this?
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 19:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Default Used TB.Is it worth buying ???

Nice Review Guardian !!!!

It's my dream to own and drive a TB. Macho presence and look and the road attitude.... Would u guys in T-BHP recommend me buying a used TB? As the new one is out of my budget right now. I can spare upto 6~6.5L.

But all these days I heard (from my freinds of course) that it is not recommended to buy a second hand Diesel vehicle? What do you guys have to say about this?
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 19:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sideways,Zenopio & Pugram.
Will be going through Sideways post with great delight.
Have been doing some minor OTR with TB;OK so some outing did turn a little serious - but have never felt the TB's 2WD giving up - maybe didn't go for some real serious stuff !
One of my eternal regrets has been not picking up the Scorpio 4X4.I did ask for it/enquire- but was asked to behave like a good boy and wait for 6 months for delivery ! I assessed that my patience would snap in 3 days flat and so wasn't willing to wait that long and went in for TB. Anyway next time I guess ?!!
Old 7th July 2007, 20:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thanks snaronikar !
There is no issue these days in buying a second hand diesel from a good stable (read good brand) given the refinement of diesel engines available today and relatively long life compared to the early days of the Jeep.
And if you are able to get a good second hand deal nothing like it ! There are good number of Scorps available - and Scorps have a good resale value. My advice pick up a CRDe.But before you pick up one - have it thoroughly checked out by a Scorpio Mech from Vijai or India Garage at Bangalore. Ask for its service records to get a idea of its history and problems if any !
Finally,finally - if you are stretching your budget to 6.5 L why don't you look at a new Scorp at just a little more extra ? It'll be well worth it. The new (?) launch/variant from M&M called Scorpio LXi or something would be around your budget. Or else save up a little more and wait for Oct/Nov for the new,new,Scorp with the Eagle engine - Aluminium,140 BHP,OHC,functional scoop, etc etc ! Drool,drool, but that would be around 9.5 L !
Old 10th July 2007, 11:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

I would also recomend using Turbo Jet. Theres a considerable improvement in performance.

Hi Sideways - Have noticed a peculiar issue in the beast. I get a better FE/consumption with the regular diesel than with the BP Hi Speed/IOC Premium or Turbo. But nevertheless every quarter once I top up the tank with the additives laden drink for the beast to clean up the innards.
Any particular reason for this other than the one that with additivies in it - it means that the fuel is less and therefore less to burn whereas with the normal drink it's all fuel and so more the burn and better FE. However I have heard you and others owners state that they get better FE with the additives laden one - so a little perplexed ?!!
Old 10th July 2007, 15:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

A quick update here - an addition to TB. I got a Autocop gear lock fitted in today. The fitting was done directly by the company who sent a Technician across to my workplace - took about an hour to fit - neat job. Costed me 1100/- for the lock and 150/- for the fitting charges.Comes with a 3 year guarantee.
This was after hearing that Scorpio is one of the most sought after vehicles in the auto theft market - is that true ?
And I hope the gear lock is an effective deterrent ! Any comments here ? Look forward to more gyan on the subject !
Old 10th July 2007, 16:48   #29
BANNED

Folks,
I always wonder,are we Scorpioners outnumbered here in TBHP by Safarians?

Very rare to see our clan coming out in support!

Cheers.
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 18:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Ahoy Pradeep ! Ready to do battle ?!!
Anyway I am sure,however numerically inferior, Scorpio owners would rise to support the right points and arguments on this forum ! After all owning the beast is truly an exhilarating experience - as would say the owners of Safaris !!!